Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #121
Elphenor
Braindead

if someone asked me what does post punk sound like

Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #122
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

none of it means anything really. it's more about artists trying to make a statement about their identity. punk seems to think it sprung out of thin air but it basically borrowed what The Who and Hendrix and Iron Butterfly had done a decade earlier, and those artists all took it from Link Wray. at a certain point it all comes from early blues and hillbilly music. it's just a big continuous progression

Old 09-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #123
Elphenor
Braindead

they progressed from garage rock or pub rock as it was called in the UK

which is what you called bands that were presumably so bad they'd never make it out of the garage or the local bar

but you'd wear it as a badge of honor you know

A lot of them wanted absolutely nothing to do with The Who and Hendrix

they were looking more at 50's artists if anything

Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #124
Elphenor
Braindead

so when a punk band explodes and now can afford proper production and they're playing in mega domes alternative becomes a word because it's like is this actually punk anymore

Old 09-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #125
Elphenor
Braindead

but then at that point they aren't alternative to anything they are pop bands and classic rock bands

you know what Im saying

Old 09-12-2016, 02:15 AM   #126
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
ain't no grunge sound really. I know everyone knows this but grunge is a made up term to sell flannel and boots. Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden, AIC, and other Seattle bands do have certain commonalities. There was a certain insularity to "the scene"... a lot of these dudes hung out together for one, but there is also the severe preoccupation with depression and darkness, loud abrasive guitars, rock that was about the songwriting first and not instrumental wankery. But how much can you really say that Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains are similar? One is like the descendant of Neil Young and the other is the descendant of Black Sabbath
i always associated the term 'grunge' to the way pearl jam sounds, more than any other band. maybe there's no such thing as grunge, really, but if there is, i think it sounds like pearl jam. a couple of trashy dudes with a lo-fi kinda sound, who have this loose, sloppy vibe, you know what i'm talkin about?

like, the way i see it, they match that term at it's most basic and undeveloped. every other band from that era took it to a very different, more evolved place: nirvana slammed it very hard, going along with their unique brand of arena misery. they were unique in that they were about as heavy as a metal band, but never quite crossed over to that territory. sp became the band for bipolar ppl, with dreampop on one hand, and furious guitar tracks on the other. sonic youth were more arty alternative. alice in chains had a dark metal streak. i guess i'd say stp were closest, but even they were like a guns n' roses amped up version of pearl jam. ah-nah.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:33 AM   #127
redbreegull

Old 09-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #128
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I SAID MAY-YAY-YAY-YAY-BEH!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 PM   #129
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i always associated the term 'grunge' to the way pearl jam sounds, more than any other band. maybe there's no such thing as grunge, really, but if there is, i think it sounds like pearl jam. a couple of trashy dudes with a lo-fi kinda sound, who have this loose, sloppy vibe, you know what i'm talkin about?

like, the way i see it, they match that term at it's most basic and undeveloped. every other band from that era took it to a very different, more evolved place: nirvana slammed it very hard, going along with their unique brand of arena misery. they were unique in that they were about as heavy as a metal band, but never quite crossed over to that territory. sp became the band for bipolar ppl, with dreampop on one hand, and furious guitar tracks on the other. sonic youth were more arty alternative. alice in chains had a dark metal streak. i guess i'd say stp were closest, but even they were like a guns n' roses amped up version of pearl jam. ah-nah.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7cf53ecfbb.jpg

Old 09-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #130
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Smile

Quote:
What a beautiful distillation of an era

Old 09-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #131
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Grunge is nirvana, soundgarden, ten-era pj, mud honey, mother love bone, and the hoards of imitators, not that complicated

Old 09-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #132
Elphenor
Braindead

Bleach is still a badass album to me

However Nevermind and even In Utero are unlistenable to me now

Same with any Midhoney album that isn't their first which I actually love

Old 09-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #133
redbreegull

Haven't listened to Nevermind in years, it's just too overplayed. In Utero holds up.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #134
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

nevermind is almost impossible to listen to seriously because of how overplayed it was, and what a phenomenon it became, but it's definitely still a great record. it slams hard, it sounds great, the songs are anthems, i mean. for what it is, it's still just as good. tbh i just can't listen to loud distorted guitar rock anymore, i'm very rarely in that mood.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #135
run2pee
Minion of Satan

The one that never gets old to me:

WHEN I WAS AN AAAAAAAALIEN
CULTURES WERENT OOOOOOPINIONS

the combo of chorus and extreme distortion are sublime, and the ragged, vocal-cord shredding delivery from Kurt is insane

Damn that guy could holler so fine

Old 09-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #136
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Grunge is nirvana, soundgarden, ten-era pj, mud honey, mother love bone, and the hoards of imitators, not that complicated
Yep, it's definitely a genre as far as I'm concerned. I immediately know what someone means when they mention grunge music. Do y'all not?

Old 09-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #137
redbreegull

depends what you mean by genre. If you mean 4 primary hard rock bands plus some others tossed arbitrarily together because they are from the same city and having a sense of a "scene" or a "movement" moves sales, then yes.

If you mean these artists are closely musically related and thus deserve a common label, no. Soundgarden is nothing like Pearl Jam or Nirvana.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #138
redbreegull

well that's not strictly true, SG and PJ are both based largely in 60s and 70s classic rock and again because these dudes all knew each other I think there is some truth to the fact that there was a definite scene around these bands. But musically they are still pretty different.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #139
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

yeah, i thought the entire conversation here was that even though grunge is a genre in which it's very clear and well-known who the main players are, when you really hone in on them, you find that each of them sounds very different to one another

Old 09-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #140
ilikeplanets
Braindead

They have a sound similar enough. It's not like comparing them to Britney Spears, Beethoven, or Cradle of Filth. All bands in a genre don't sound identical!

Old 09-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #141
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Whatever, it's just an arbitrary label anyway. Like arguing if bisexual means you like trans people too.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #142
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
They have a sound similar enough. It's not like comparing them to Britney Spears, Beethoven, or Cradle of Filth. All bands in a genre don't sound identical!
i do believe there are slightly smaller increments to discussing genres than BEETHOVEN -> CRADLE OF FILTH.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #143
redbreegull

They don't sound similar enough for "grunge" to be a sonic descriptor. There is no grunge sound. You might as well throw in Sonic Youth, Dino Jr., Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Trail of Dead and any other number of bands from before or after who play sludgy hard rock based on 60s and 70s music.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #144
Elphenor
Braindead

Genres are vague and don't hold up to serious scrutiny most of the time but everyone knows what you're talking about if you say grunge and that's really all that matters

Old 09-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #145
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

I haven't posted here with any sort of regularity in like 8 years... and threads still degrade into figuring out what is grunge and what isn't.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #146
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i do believe there are slightly smaller increments to discussing genres than BEETHOVEN -> CRADLE OF FILTH.
but that's kind of my point, plus it's fun to give drastic examples

Old 09-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #147
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
They don't sound similar enough for "grunge" to be a sonic descriptor. There is no grunge sound. You might as well throw in Sonic Youth, Dino Jr., Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Trail of Dead and any other number of bands from before or after who play sludgy hard rock based on 60s and 70s music.
I do ******* every single artist you mentioned when I think about grunge. There's enough of a thread there for it to be it's own genre. Well my labels work for me, so...

Old 09-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #148
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Okay maybe not QOTSA but I describe them as grungy at least, and I don't know trail of dead. But yeah that guitar sound we both mentioned holds it all together for me.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #149
FoolofaTook

Queens is stoner rock. Boris do it better tho of course lol.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #150
FoolofaTook

But like Elph said genres are bullshit. Obscure, limited, artificial categories ill suited to describe the infinite variations of sonic expression.