Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #61
Bread Regal
Banned

pretty sure the first time i had this conversation was on this very forum 15 years ago.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #62
null123
Minion of Satan

Yeah there might be some nu atheist teen posts by me on this very board

Old 09-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #63
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
You can't know with 100% certainty that the table does not exist.
uh the only way you can say the table doesn't exist is because you believe in ghosts

Old 09-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #64
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

hi, mooney

hey, guys

Old 09-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #65
Trotskilicious
Banned

i apologize for being a retarded athiest

the "belief" in science/logic/reason thing really pisses me off even if i don't debunk it very well

Old 09-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'm sorry i misquoted:

The universe works on a math equation
That never even ever really ends in the end
Infinity spirals out creation
We're on the tip of its tongue, and it is saying

Well, we ain't sure where you stand
You ain't machines and you ain't land
And the plants and the animals, they are linked
And the plants and the animals eat each other

Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #67
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
You can't know with 100% certainty that the table does not exist. Same with unicorns and FSM and the celestial teapot and God

I agree it's stupid and probably there is no table, but you don't KNOW
100% certainty is based on a scientific theory. that theory could be wrong. existence and non existencence could be wrong. maybe everything just is something you cant univerally explain. science had to start somewhefe with base theories that may only exist or be provable in certain environments and may not float in others. there is no universal langauge. not even our science provides something universally commuciatable. trust me, I took a lot of acid and thought about this a lot. just the idea that life exists at temperatures unheard of makes one go wtf. there are probably things living on the sun. we haven't been able to prove or disprove that because we are pretty sure we would have to die to find out and our limited capabilities only really bring back what we are initially searching for. its all really pointless to argue about because atheists, agnostics, religious types and scientists with all the above mentioned attributes tagged on before or after are all just a bunch of meat sticks that don't mean anything in the grand scheme of a universe so massive. we are basically all in the matrix. death is the only exit point we know of. everything else is just guessing or trying to prove things based on equally wild ideas.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #68
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
100% certainty is based on a scientific theory. that theory could be wrong. existence and non existencence could be wrong. maybe everything just is something you cant univerally explain. science had to start somewhefe with base theories that may only exist or be provable in certain environments and may not float in others. there is no universal langauge. not even our science provides something universally commuciatable. trust me, I took a lot of acid and thought about this a lot. just the idea that life exists at temperatures unheard of makes one go wtf. there are probably things living on the sun. we haven't been able to prove or disprove that because we are pretty sure we would have to die to find out and our limited capabilities only really bring back what we are initially searching for. its all really pointless to argue about because atheists, agnostics, religious types and scientists with all the above mentioned attributes tagged on before or after are all just a bunch of meat sticks that don't mean anything in the grand scheme of a universe so massive. we are basically all in the matrix. death is the only exit point we know of. everything else is just guessing or trying to prove things based on equally wild ideas.
I agree with you up until the point of "equally wild ideas". Some ideas are more wild than others I think

Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #69
noyen
Immortal

try explaining all this shit to a butterfly.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #70
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i didn;t grow up with 'jesus in my life' until my parents divorced. my mom started going to church and thought the catholic school would be good for me. the 2 hours of mass a week were an escape and that's when i joined choir the first time. i like the rituals and memories i get from mass.

i went to church well into my mid-twenties and pestered my parents about not going to see how they like it.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #71
Trotskilicious
Banned

here yes

invisible sky man who cares about us basically is the exact contradiction of all of this

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 09-28-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #72
Elphenor
Braindead

Lol punkneverdies

Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #73
Mooney
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
hi, mooney

hey, guys
hello!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #74
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
here yes

invisible sky man who cares about us basically is the exact contradiction of all of this
Scotland independence discussion leads to screen shot of our twitters in thread about atheists? there is no god. I don't like the idea of my name being published here as much as the next guy.

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 09-28-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #75
noyen
Immortal

or my twitter either. just quote modest mouse and be done with it.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:04 AM   #76
Trotskilicious
Banned

ah okay i apologize :#

Old 09-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #77
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Hey guys just in case it weren't apparent to was really, really, REALLY fucked up when I posted this thread last night.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #78
Starla

I have seen some things in the inipi that I can't explain. I went to a blessing way ceremony in NM for a navajo friend of mine and her dead great grandmother left a gift at the front door. Strangest thing I've ever encountered.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #79
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
Hey guys just in case it weren't apparent to was really, really, REALLY fucked up when I posted this thread last night.
post/av

Old 09-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #80
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
i thought so, pretty impressive

Old 09-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #81
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
post/av
who is that guy

Old 09-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #82
Order 66
Socialphobic

haven't seen rick and morty? you need to fix that stat

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/pilot

Old 09-28-2014, 02:23 AM   #83
Trotskilicious
Banned

rated r adventure time?

Old 09-28-2014, 02:25 AM   #84
Trotskilicious
Banned

chris parnell

Old 09-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #85
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I think it is possible for a creative force somewhat resembling what is described in Judeo-Christian texts to exist. The 'problem of evil' is interesting - I'm interested in that question. But it's far from being a knock-down argument.

I guess I find all aspects of existence bittersweet. If you were beaten and shamed as a child like I was, and then spent your adolescence looking for love in all the wrong places and feeling nothing but shame and self hatred as a result, you'll know like I do that the most unlikely situations can produce things of inexplicable beauty and value.

So the suffering in my own life has still given rise to trust in Invisible Skyman. Many Africans working as slaves in the U.S. felt the same way. I can't really explain it. I think that's half the problem with religion, it is the expression of feelings and thoughts and memories that are essentially incommunicable even though they are likely to be near universal.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:07 AM   #86
Trotskilicious
Banned

really you compare yourself to african slaves

Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #87
noyen
Immortal

Question

get outta here with your martyr complex. how is it possible? just what example can you give that proves a diety called god created everything? possible? african slaves? suffering and low self esteem created god so that makes it possible he exists? what. what.. what problem of evil? what question of evil do you have? evil is based on a belief there is good. natural forces cannot be compared to good or evil. physical destruction and flowers blooming have no relation to the moral concept of good and evil. maybe it does in poetry class but can you not pretend like you've thought about this when you aren't even presenting arguments or questions and instead turn this into something about your life. leave that to jesus. he was probably a real person much like ghandi and mlk.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #88
Starla

Vix, do you take the kids to church? If so, do they enjoy going?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #89
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Yeah I do take them - we attend as a family. They feel differently about it from week to week...it's work for me, now.

I only compared myself to African slaves in the respect that many of them were theists despite having plenty of reason not to be, which is similar to me. We don't have the same reasons or the same amount of suffering or anything.

Quote:
get outta here with your martyr complex. how is it possible? just what example can you give that proves a diety called god created everything? possible? african slaves? suffering and low self esteem created god so that makes it possible he exists?
I can't give an example like that. African slaves, suffering and low self esteem don't make it possible God exists. Logic makes it possible. Either the universe was created deliberately or it wasn't.

Quote:
what problem of evil? what question of evil do you have? evil is based on a belief there is good. natural forces cannot be compared to good or evil. physical destruction and flowers blooming have no relation to the moral concept of good and evil. maybe it does in poetry class but can you not pretend like you've thought about this when you aren't even presenting arguments or questions and instead turn this into something about your life.
Oh no, I was talking about The Problem of Evil

Old 09-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #90
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I think teaching kids to accept that deities, demons, angels, ghosts, etc exist is boarder line child abuse. It's psychological and intellectual indoctrination.

Kids can be taught about community, fellowship, etc without the involvement of gods and devils.