Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #811
MusicMan4

the lights were kind of excessive though
my vertigo was acting up a lot and i had to look at the ground and sit down a few times when i didnt want to

Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #812
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkins23836
If I can get our picture off my phone, I'll post it -- he said it'd move me up a tier in the netphorian rankings.
Crap, I took a picture of him with somebody else. So close! I guess I will lurk in the lower depths of the Netphorian tier rankings forever.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #813
MusicMan4

you could have just stood in between us and held your arm out as far as you could and taken it myspace style

Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #814
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I was going to suggest it but then didn't think we would all fit in the picture since it was just my phone. Oh well. I would not want a MySpace picture of me unless it highlighted my jubblies anyway.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #815
Day dreaming Of Darcy
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat
1) Too many fucking singles!! This is especially frustrating because I can't even think of a SP single that is amongst one of their best songs. I mean, these guys have such an amazing back catalog that it seems criminal to fuck up the sets with all these worn out old things.
I agree with this. It's probably the best summation to explain the lukewarm reception they seem to get (at least on Netphoria). That said... greatest hits or not, they've already played 60+ different songs, busting out Translucent, Drown, even Oui Henri!!! The songs they do play kick ass and I cannot fault them for not doing enough.

Everyone in the band is working their asses off.. if you can't see and appreciate that, and know that there is far more to look forward to, then maybe you should just move on and stfu.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #816
smashing0
ZOMB User Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale blue eyes
I would not want a MySpace picture of me unless it highlighted my jubblies anyway.
post of the thread?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #817
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

(o)(o)

Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #818
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day dreaming Of Darcy
I agree with this. It's probably the best summation to explain the lukewarm reception they seem to get (at least on Netphoria). That said... greatest hits or not, they've already played 60+ different songs, busting out Translucent, Drown, even Oui Henri!!! The songs they do play kick ass and I cannot fault them for not doing enough.

Everyone in the band is working their asses off.. if you can't see and appreciate that, and know that there is far more to look forward to, then maybe you should just move on and stfu.
It's just because people are so constantly up to date with the setlists. Next time I see them, I'm going to leave the Tour Forum well alone for at least three weeks beforehand so there's the element of surprise there.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #819
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day dreaming Of Darcy
The thing is, in a 4-night stand, I was hoping for a little more variety night-to-night. Friday and Sunday were almost identical in terms of songs played. Hell, perhaps they could have sold a few more tix to the last show if the first couple weren't nearly the same. I'm grateful for the acoustic set on Tuesday, but the electric set was a disappointment considering Bolly had said earlier that night they'd be playing stuff they hadn't played much of and the set turned out to be a retread of the previous three nights. Where was 33? Where was Muzzle? Crying Tree? This is stuff that they've been playing off and on recently, so why couldn't they appear at least once in four shows here?

I certainly wasn't expecting Translucent or anything like that, but I would have figured to have heard Muzzle and 33 at least. And while others may dislike it, it would have been a good time to play Gossamer again.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #820
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower
andyslash my phone was on silent :/
i forget to c hange that after class
:(

Old 10-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #821
Andy /

I figured I'd have heard from you if you were coming to the show, so no big deal, I just thought I'd check. Nice message, btw.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #822
Chuck=Zero
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash
I'm grateful for the acoustic set on Tuesday, but the electric set was a disappointment considering Bolly had said earlier that night they'd be playing stuff they hadn't played much of and the set turned out to be a retread of the previous three nights. Where was 33? Where was Muzzle? Crying Tree? This is stuff that they've been playing off and on recently, so why couldn't they appear at least once in four shows here?

I certainly wasn't expecting Translucent or anything like that, but I would have figured to have heard Muzzle and 33 at least. And while others may dislike it, it would have been a good time to play Gossamer again.
Exactly! No, I wasn't expectin' a freakin' "Rarities & B-Sides Show," but I don't think I was "reaching" in hoping that they would at least play some of those songs you mentioned, songs that had been played recently, just not in Philly up to that point. Unlike some, I really don't mind the classic singles being played, from Today to 1979, but I was certainly disappointed to hear an acoustic 1979 for the fourth straight night, I don't see why 33, or dare I say Daydream, couldn't have been substituted in the acoustic set for 1979. Same goes for the electric set, where they could've given us say, Silverfuck, instead of United States or Superchrist. I wouldn't go so far to say they should bring back Gossamer, and I have to say I was completely satisfied with the sets for the first three shows. Quite frankly, I would've been fine with the fourth night's too, if it wasn't for Billy makin' the pitch to us that it was goin' to be somethin' special with some different songs. The way I read it all, the reason why more than anything else I was mad about this last show, is that the acoustic/electric changeup was nothin' more than a ploy to sucker people into buying tickets for this final show. I believe that if it was Billy's intent from the day this final show was announced to do it acoustic/electric, the setlist would've been a bit more dynamic. Instead, it was somethin' decided on shortly before Tuesday night in response to the fact that ticket sales for the last show were goin' so poorly. Billy and the gang just pieced together the setlist for this in the last days & hours before the final show. I also wonder what might've been if this show had actually sold out, I think Billy held back on takin' any chances with this set 'cause of the poor turnout.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 AM   #823
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiordan
Well, I guess you didn't get them at the show you were at. Anyway, in your last post you complained about the singles, but now you admit you still want to hear some of the singles you listed. Of course, the last 3 you listed are perhaps less "played out" than BWBW, Today, etc. But it goes back to what Billy said in the AOL Sessions interview -- you can't please everyone (though I am not saying that I think their approach is perfect right now... I do think they could be mixing it up a tad more at least)
What I really meant here is that if I have to choose from only singles, there are the ones that I wouldn't mind hearing as much as others. (Though of course if had my way I'd have no problem deleting all singles from the play list! This is simply because I feel that, given the limited time of a concert, I'd rather hear what I feel are the "better quality" Pumpkins songs, or at least ones that haven't been beaten like a dead horse.) I haven't seen them on tour yet (for this tour, at least) personally...though I've been keeping up with show reviews and such. I'm well aware of what Billy is trying to do...and arguably, it is working to the extent that the casual listeners all sound very pleased by at least the singles part of these shows. (Although it seems just as legitimate to suggest that the "casual fans" are far more alienated by those long, jammy songs being played than they would be by a good, solid non-single song picked from MCIS or SD which could work in place of just another single...which perhaps all of us would appreciate a little more.) That said, I don't think anyone can disagree that for what the Pumpkins are performing right now, they are performing quite well. And I certainly don't expect what is essentially a "new" band to be able to perform the entire Pumpkins back catalog out of their ass. That would just be completely unrealistic. The frustrating part, however, is when we hear reports that they are sound-checking Siva and such. I mean, WTF...just play it!!

P.S. Oh yeah...I'm looking forward to seeing this light show that apparently induces puking and epileptic episodes in the faint of heart for myself. Good times!

Last edited by stumpycat : 10-26-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #824
TiaraGurl
No Whickety Whack

this is the thread that never ends...

Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #825
Chuck=Zero
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaraGurl
this is the thread that never ends...
Hopefully we can keep it goin' 'til the Pumpkins return to Philly in '09.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:22 AM   #826
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

Mon. 10/22 review that I asked for from a casual fan who attended:

Quote:
I definatly liked the show. Some of the zeitgeist songs were awesome (That's The Way, Tarantula), however, there were a few too many in there for my tastes. I definatly dug the Billy solo acoustic segment (Disarm and 1979 were amazing and brought back a LOT of high school memories). Hummer and Rocket were both great treats. I have to say, Bullet With Butterfly Wings was INSANE!!! I've always loved that song, but hearing it live was a revelation.

It wasn't the GREATEST show I've seen, buty it was defiantly a good show. I'd defiantly see them again! (Once they bring back Mayonnaise, I Am One, and Rhinocerous)

Old 10-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #827
TiaraGurl
No Whickety Whack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck=Zero
Hopefully we can keep it goin' 'til the Pumpkins return to Philly in '09.
well here is my contribution.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:44 AM   #828
Chuck=Zero
Apocalyptic Poster

Arrow Keeping the thread alive...

Well, I've definately "had my fill" of SP this year...all four Philly shows and then two shows in Asheville. I'll tell ya, even if SP was doin' somethin' special later this year in Chicago, and I was offered to go with flights and hotel being paid for, I'd turn it down. It's not that I didn't enjoy the shows this year or don't like 'em anymore, I just feel like I've seen everything that I wanted to see and then some. I think if I were to see 'em anymore this year I'd get Monte syndrome where I love SP so much, but after seeing 'em so much I would actually start to hate 'em.

I'm also kinda bummed out still since these four shows I had been lookin' forward to for so long have come & gone.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #829
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I had my fill with just the four Philly shows but I am feeling the same way. I looked forward to them for so long and they're over with. I am happy I went though.