Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Two things about the new stuff

Fucking margin.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Ram27
dumb

You know how the new stuff sucks? Like, it's all crappily produced and digital and the drums suck and Billy voice sucks and stuff? Yeah.

Well, maybe, maybe it's our fault. Maybe Billy is just being new and innovative and all that, and we don't move on to new styles of music like he does. We're fans of Jimmy and nice guitar tones, and are looking at the new stuff for that, and getting pissed because it's different.

And, less abstractly, I've never listened to the new stuff in a non-critical way until like 10 minutes ago. I only played Oceania to see what it was like and listen to parts people said sucked. But I've listened to Siamese Dream while reading or driving or jacking off or whatever hundreds of times, and I think it's really awesome. And now I'm listening to Owata and it's pretty okay, because it's pleasant background noise while typing this and not something to scrutinize.

But then again, the old stuff stands up to scrutiny. And maybe Billy just should've changed the band name after JC left. I dunno.

Submit New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

New stuff is not as bad as people make it out to be, but it is also not that good either. Teargarden has some shit for sure ("Astral Planes") but to Billy's credit it really seemed like he was trying to recapture something, and the songs on EP 2 and those last two songs released were not half bad.

Despite all the press of Oceania being the big come back and what we'd been waiting for since he started Smashing Pumpkins back up again, I found it to be extremely boring and middle-of-the-road in every conceivable way. Not to forget that "Quasar" is the worst song Billy has ever written, and even things like "Astral Planes" have more redeeming value.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
New stuff is not as bad as people make it out to be, but it is also not that good either. Teargarden has some shit for sure ("Astral Planes") but to Billy's credit it really seemed like he was trying to recapture something, and the songs on EP 2 and those last two songs released were not half bad.

Despite all the press of Oceania being the big come back and what we'd been waiting for since he started Smashing Pumpkins back up again, I found it to be extremely boring and middle-of-the-road in every conceivable way. Not to forget that "Quasar" is the worst song Billy has ever written, and even things like "Astral Planes" have more redeeming value.
YES! Thank you! A song like That's the way, and even Tom-Tom is better than anything on Oceania. Not sure why all the fan-boys have such a hard-on for Oceania. I found it extremely uninteresting. No energy... flat, loose, dull music.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

If you took the genuinely good billy songs from 2007-present, they couldn't fill half an album. There's some stuff I like from that stretch, but it's all pretty ordinary. And that seems to be the norm for most people, maybe a few genuinely good songs but nothing that requires further listening

Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
If you took the genuinely good billy songs from 2007-present, they couldn't fill half an album. There's some stuff I like from that stretch, but it's all pretty ordinary. And that seems to be the norm for most people, maybe a few genuinely good songs but nothing that requires further listening
True, but for me, if I discover a new album and I really like say, 3 songs off of it. That is a success for me. Because I have 3 new songs that I'm excited about that I didn't have before.

People might think that that's a pretty low standard. But for me it's so tough to find stuff that excites me, but when I do it's just fucking awesome.

Even going back to Adore, I probably only genuinely like 5, 6 songs off of it. And that's just fine with me... Machina1? Probably about the same. Zwan? 4 songs... Zeitgeist? 5,6 songs...So this is nothing really new with me for Billy... The only real shame now is that I only like 1, maybe 2 songs off of Teargarden and none off of Oceania... So theres not much to keep me interested these days.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
If you took the genuinely good billy songs from 2007-present, they couldn't fill half an album.
And most of those songs would be ones that haven't been released.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

yeah, true. I'm partial to 99 floors but there are dumbasses making noise through it

Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
YES! ! A like That's the way, and even Tom-Tom is better than anything on Oceania. Not sure why all the fan-boys have such a hard-on for Oceania. I found it extremely uninteresting. No energy... flat, loose, dull music.
I'd take Zeitgeist in a heartbeat over Oceania.