Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #31
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

Saw the MSG show last night. It was p good. I had very low expectations though.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #32
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
Billy getting a scathing review from the Miami press

https://www.bocamag.com/concert-revi...show-to-miami/

"Though the tour has been presented as long overdue fan service, corralling founding members to play songs from the group’s most popular records, it seems to be more of a vanity project for frontman, songwriter and noted egomaniac Corgan. Over the course of the three-hour-long show (yes, three hours), the undersold crowd at Miami’s AmericanAirlines Arena was subjected to way too much Corgan.

It wasn’t just his face paint or his incessant costume changes. Even the graphics that played out on the screen behind the band throughout the show, almost every single one of which featured an effigy of Corgan, may have been excusable on their own. But paired with the glut of a three-hour, 31-song set list, and his attempts to paint himself as a rock god while covering massive songs by David Bowie and Led Zeppelin, it made for a show that was simply exhausting...

....by the time the band returned for a baffling encore, which featured new single “Solara” and a cover of “Baby Mine” from the movie “Dumbo,” the already-thin crowd at the arena, which had to curtain off seats in the upper deck due to lackluster ticket sales, began to shuffle out.

So many aspects of the show were just so ridiculous that it was difficult to grasp their juxtaposition with the commanding songs that were being performed. Corgan changed costumes too many times to count, and eventually ended up in an outfit that could be described as an attempt to imitate the pope. He played home videos of himself as a child on the screens behind him, and displayed messages to the crowd like “Can’t you see I’m special?” and “I stand out in a crowd.” You can’t make this stuff up."

The issue is that Corgan’s ego has escalated to the point where a Smashing Pumpkins concert isn’t about the band anymore. It’s not even about the songs. It’s just about him."

It does kinda seem lame how the videos are all about Billy. Do they even feature any of the other members in the new video footage shown?
Holy shit. They really really need D’Arcy to rein him in.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #33
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

“noted egomaniac”

Lmfao.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #34
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Smashing Pumpkins "Crush it"

http://www.timesonline.com/entertain...ittsburgh-show

Old 08-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #35
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

New Jersey

https://www.stereogum.com/2008829/bi...ounding-board/

Old 08-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #36
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Bread View Post
Saw the MSG show last night. It was p good. I had very low expectations though.
are you still hungry?

Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #37
gyang333
Pledge

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...iew/912648002/

Apparently only about 8,500 showed up for the Detroit stop. Any idea what the overall attendance has been for this tour? Is this par for the course (aside from the few shows announced to be sold out) or is the average over 10,000?

Old 08-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #38
Elphenor
Braindead

“You know what happens when I open my mouth. Trouble ensues. I become a meme. I don’t want to become a meme. I just want you to know that I appreciate you.”

the self awareness is weird

Old 08-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #39
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

What other rock stars have gone to this level of weird self analysis and whining to their fan base online?

Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #40
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyang333 View Post
https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...iew/912648002/

Apparently only about 8,500 showed up for the Detroit stop. Any idea what the overall attendance has been for this tour? Is this par for the course (aside from the few shows announced to be sold out) or is the average over 10,000?
Pittsburgh was 9,000. New York was 14,000 per Chloe Mendel. Those are the only official ones I have seen other than Detroit that you mentioned.

Sometimes these figures are not easy to find.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #41
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
Pittsburgh was 9,000. New York was 14,000 per Chloe Mendel. Those are the only official ones I have seen other than Detroit that you mentioned.

Sometimes these figures are not easy to find.
It seems to be around 8000-9500 outside of the big northeast markets like Boston, Philly, and NYC. I think it was around 8500 in both Miami and Tampa. Lady Gaga came in the next night in Tampa and played (danced) to 17,000.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #42
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
It seems to be around 8000-9500 outside of the big northeast markets like Boston, Philly, and NYC. I think it was around 8500 in both Miami and Tampa. Lady Gaga came in the next night in Tampa and played (danced) to 17,000.
Thanks to you both.

So it seems like overall it's doing a bit better than the Oceania arena tour where I feel like the numbers were closer to 4-6k. So James and Jimmy is bringing about 4k more in nightly attendance.

I remember Billy saying SP would have net ~$5mil more had James joined the 20th anniversary tour.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #43
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyang333 View Post
Thanks to you both.

So it seems like overall it's doing a bit better than the Oceania arena tour where I feel like the numbers were closer to 4-6k. So James and Jimmy is bringing about 4k more in nightly attendance.

I remember Billy saying SP would have net ~$5mil more had James joined the 20th anniversary tour.
Someone on reddit was saying that they hinted about continuing into next year with the current lineup (possibly at smaller venues). Might still be on the first page of reddit.

Hopefully, with all the positive reviews from media and concert goers will spike up their reputation. There were a lot of people saying after Oceania that they would never go to a Pumpkins concert again.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #44
T&T
Socialphobic

the band will do it if the promoters line up to pay their ask. but promoters aren't super interested at the price billy's asking. If they had all 4, maybe the promoters would be down, but no one is falling for this reuinion but Live nation that probably signed off on 3/4 early on.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #45
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Montreal. "Just shy of 10,000"

Old 08-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #46
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
Someone on reddit was saying that they hinted about continuing into next year with the current lineup (possibly at smaller venues). Might still be on the first page of reddit.

Hopefully, with all the positive reviews from media and concert goers will spike up their reputation. There were a lot of people saying after Oceania that they would never go to a Pumpkins concert again.
Imagine if the 2008-2017 versions of the band didn't go on tour, especially the 08-09 stuff where Billy was berating fans and playing random shit to piss them off, or walking off the stage to not come back after the first few songs in England. They lost so many fans during that period.

And even though I liked the Oceania stuff, I actually haven't been to another Pumpkins concert since, even though they've played quite near me in 2015, 16, and 18.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #47
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...story,amp.html

Old 08-15-2018, 02:09 AM   #48
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

ive enjoyed reading these reviews, thanks for posting them all.

i decided i wasn't going to bother to see corgan live again after a miserable experience in 2007. it wasn't even really much of a conscious decision, it was just necessary to preserve some self-respect

seems it maybe would have been worth seeing this tour, maybe, but that's how it goes. wish there were more deep cuts and less reliant on the same 12 or so songs that are always played no matter what, but still decent setlist

Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 AM   #49
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post

>>>

https://i.imgur.com/uEzuHqS.png

Old 08-15-2018, 04:49 AM   #50
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

lol, i can try to copy/paste. it's chicago, fairly certain it's a love-fest

Old 08-20-2018, 01:51 AM   #51
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

http://m.startribune.com/smashing-pu...ego/491237821/

Smashing Pumpkins reunion bloated by classic covers, old-school ego

Back when bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam were bringing back a ripped-jeans aesthetic and rawer, punkier sound, Billy Corgan and Smashing Pumpkins dared to play a more epic, flashy, psychedelic, egocentric brand of rock ’n’ roll. They succeeded in a big way, too, landing multi-platinum albums and a record for the largest concert in Twin Cities history, playing to an estimated 75,000 people at 1998’s free Aquatennial Block Party.

Two decades later, in an era when AutoTuned pop stars and pre-programmed country acts now dominate the arena concert circuit, Corgan and his reunited bandmates aimed for a similar return to mega-sized, ’70s-flavored arena-rock Sunday night at Xcel Energy Center.

This time around, though, the Pumpkins’ success rate was more hit or miss. They put on the kind of elaborate, ambitious rock spectacle where even teetotalers may have felt a stoner-like haziness by show’s end. Or at least everybody had the munchies when it was over, since the performance lasted over three hours.

From the get-go, Sunday’s concert seemed less like a camaraderie-fueled reunion tour and more like a new marketing campaign for the old Billy Corgan Is a Rock God™ brand. It was still all about Billy. Never mind that the reason 10,000 people came out Sunday vs. the thousand that saw the last Pumpkins gig in town at the Pantages is because he put three-fourths of the original lineup back together.

Wearing an Ed Wood-ian black outfit with a silvery skirt and occasional cape, the 51-year-old frontman took the stage all by his lonesome, seething self, walking through a crack in the stage’s large video screen like Jesus walking out of the tomb; or maybe more like Spinal Tap’s Derek Smalls busting out of the cocoon. He then stayed up there solo through the whole opening song “Disarm,” making for an awkward pause as the rest of the Pumpkins then came out and got situated.

The band itself — with guitarist James Iha, drummer Jimmy Chamberlin and three auxiliary members — sounded great. This Pumpkins lineup came off better or at least tighter than the heyday Pumpkins often did in their erratic ’90s.

It looked as if the band members and fans alike were having a blast at first as the group steamrolled through a series of fuzz-toned, melodic but mighty gems from the early years, including “Rocket,” “Siva,” “Rhinoceros” and the “Singles” soundtrack nugget “Drown.”

Everybody seemed to be having fun, that is, except for the ever-grimacing Corgan. If he told the crowd his cat had been killed that morning by a rat in a cage, nobody would have been surprised. That would’ve been the lengthiest thing he said all night, too, up until show’s end when he talked about playing 7th Street Entry in 1990 and bragged that Prince once told him he liked one of his songs.

Iha did most of the talking — and got to sing one of his solo tunes, too — but it was tellingly Corgan and not his guitarist who took the night’s first extended guitar solo (during “Siva”).

Whenever he put down his guitar, Corgan’s ego actually seemed to inflate even more. During the first of the night’s three major classic-rock covers, David Bowie’s “Space Oddity,” the stage crew inexplicably erected a one-song-only staircase for him to stand atop. Maybe to get closer to the cosmos?

Corgan performed from on up high again mid-set during the slow, dragging ballads “For Martha” and “Eye,” for which the crew — that poor crew! — had to get a piano onto a 10-foot riser above the stage. Never mind that there were already two other pianos at stage level he could have used.

Maybe the ultimate sign of Corgan’s elevated sense of girth came three-quarters of the way through the set, when he followed the Pumpkins-standardized cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide” with a much more brashly chosen version of Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven.” It was a relatively spot-on and rewarding rendition of the ubiquitous rock classic, but it underlined how bloated and unnecessarily long the show was. And how weird. So weird.

Fortunately, the set turned a little more grounded and a lot less grandiose for the last 45 minutes, when the hits piled up and the songs themselves outshined Corgan’s desperate showmanship.

Fans sang along to “Tonight, Tonight,” “1979” and “Today” — and pumped their fists and heads along to “Cherub Rock” and “Bullet with Butterfly Wings” — with enough verboseness and sheer joy to justify Corgan’s overbearing pride. Or at least half of it, anyway, as Sunday’s concert proved half-great in the end.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #52
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

I think Minnesotans in general are a little too worldly for 3+ hours of Billy's bombastic egomania on a Sunday night. I'm just glad he didn't start bitching about album sales or berate fans for having dicks in their asses. Honestly I don't know what more people could have asked for. Ok maybe XYU or Geek USA. But even 10 years ago they couldn't have done those songs justice. And apparently the show was already too long for the people who have to wake up at 6 AM to do the drywall at the new McDonald's. So they served us all of the hits in tight dramatic fashion and that still isn't enough. Very odd. I thought it was phenomenal.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #53
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
“You know what happens when I open my mouth. Trouble ensues. I become a meme. I don’t want to become a meme. I just want you to know that I appreciate you.”

the self awareness is weird
It's very weird. It's like he's found some sort of inner peace and acceptance with who he is and what people want. They want the reunion band to go out there and play the hits, something he was unwilling to accept 10 years ago but seems to have accepted now. That's what SP is at this point. A band that peaked in the 90's, and that's what people want to be reminded of.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #54
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought it was good! It just got a little long and the pacing was a bit strange. But the band sounded tight and seemed pretty into it. The reviewer sounds a bit surprised by the Billy ego show, so I’m not sure where they’ve been for the past twenty years.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #55
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

It sounds like the shows have been fairly consistent in not only the set list but in the way Billy behaves on stage. It was a bit weird that he barely talked to the crowd when I saw them, instead letting James do the majority of the banter in between songs. I wasn't sure if it was just that particular night but it sounds like that's how it's been for all the shows. It's especially strange when you consider that so much of the show is built up around Corgan's "I'm the Last Rock God" persona, so much so that all of the artwork features imagery of him, he included childhood photos of himself in some songs, he had a little Billy Christ statue hauled around the audience and he put up not-so-subliminal messages on the screen like "Can't you see I'm special" during Solara. You'd think a guy that self-absorbed (even if he's actually poking fun at himself here) would be hard-pressed to let anyone else in the band utter a word in between songs, but he barely says anything. It's a stark contrast to the Stern interview where Jimmy and James only talked a little bit and the other two guys said nothing at all, while Billy went on and on about shapeshifters and wrestling and the new album and Howard wouldn't shut the fuck up about Asian fusion restaurants.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #56
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
I think Minnesotans in general are a little too worldly for . . .
I reject your thesis.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #57
myosis
Minion of Satan

james is better at banter, it's part of classic pumpkins, and it was sorely missing from pumpkins shows of the past 12 years, so it's no surprise to me that a james comeback means james banter...

Old 08-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #58
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
I thought it was good! It just got a little long and the pacing was a bit strange. But the band sounded tight and seemed pretty into it. The reviewer sounds a bit surprised by the Billy ego show, so I’m not sure where they’ve been for the past twenty years.
I agree. Really enjoyed the show but some of the pacing and videos...OK.

RI3MENSCHNEID3R from the Star Tribune got a lot of push back on this review, he's never been prince perfect of music journalism by any means.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #59
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

The videos were definitely distracting and/or ridiculous at times. But I think they were intended for the ADD age our culture is experiencing... people taking out their phones and such. Which is understandable for a 3 hour show. For people like my partner, who doesn't really know their songs by name, the videos were welcome and helped give context to the band's esthetic and history.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #60
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netphorian Gadabout View Post
I reject your thesis.
I'm glad you called me on that generalization

Retraction: some Minnesotans are too worldly for Billy's ego. For example, the guy who wrote the review, who was concerned about the stage crew who had to place Corgan's piano on a pedestal. That's a blue collar perspective.