Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2020, 01:40 AM   #61
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolmos View Post
I visit once every 4 months or so to see how the train wreck is going.
hi, rolmops!

Old 10-31-2020, 02:30 AM   #62
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

i've never actually posted here before but long time lurker

Old 10-31-2020, 03:58 PM   #63
Cool As Ice Cream

i usually keep my opinions to myself, but hi everyone!

Old 11-02-2020, 04:36 AM   #64
Try Try Give Up
Oblivious Virgin

I think some of the new songs are alright and Billy hasn’t done anything to upset me lately so I’ve nothing to contribute at the moment.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #65
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Hi HerVelvetSpleen

Totally late on this one but i just wanted u to know that i picked up upon this reference almost immediately, based solely on your expert use of extended syllables in the relevant words to correspond to how the melody of this particular part of the Chumbawumba’s hit Tubthumpin, is sung

This incidentally is my 3 y/o favorite song right now other than probably My Heart Will Go On (Love theme from the cult film Titanic)
I really regretted not using Creep by TLC. You have restored my confidence momentarily. I appreciate you. Also, please enjoy the days when your child listens to music you grew up with without groaning in disgust. I kindly pretended to think Jojo Siwa was cool for my daughter's sake for 2 years. She does not extend the same courtesy to me. She's 9. It will happen to you.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #66
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Try Give Up View Post
I think some of the new songs are alright and Billy hasn’t done anything to upset me lately so I’ve nothing to contribute at the moment.
It's ok to say you like stuff. We won't ban you immediately.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #67
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

If you keep it up however!

Old 11-06-2020, 12:43 AM   #68
geekzero
Oblivious Virgin

lurk! I lurk, reading, agreeing, finding nothing else to add that hasn't truthfully been hashed out. Keep checking in on the new songs and they are meh, can't really hate them sonically, but like other have said I have no idea what they sound like in like an hour. the vocals are so horrible they pretty much ensure I won't even bother trying to let these songs "grow on me."
I also listen to them when I'm alone cuz the vocals are embarrassing, well, billy is...

Old 11-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #69
s0ss
Demi-God

long time reader first time poster. hi everyone. this place is neato.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #70
Whir34
Pledge

I’m a lurker and check in here a few times a week. I actually use it as my main source of Pumpkins news and I like reading the banter. I rarely post as when I do I usually get insulted, shot down, or provoke some sort of angry reaction even though I usually say benign / positive things. I can’t take that heat so I stay out of the kitchen and sit in the lounge listening in.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #71
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
In the summer of ‘91, my sisters and I were cleaning the backyard and we had brought out a radio to listen to as we worked. Between the 5 of us, we each got to choose a station for 10 minutes. I clearly recall turning to the local alternative rock station which I had only just started listening to a few weeks earlier. A song came on whose lyrics I couldn’t make out but which sounded like a very calm melody with a slow drum beat in the background. Suddenly these louder guitars started playing, and this crazy guitar solo was playing, and I was thinking to myself, “What is this?! It rocks!” At the tender age of 10, I had my first impression of a band which I would later be fanatic about. I heard the song again months later, and mid-way through the song, I recorded it onto a tape, missing the first few minutes of it. I still wasn’t familiar with the name of the band who played the song, and I rarely to never heard the song again on the radio.

A year later I heard the song Drown and I didn’t know at the time that this was the same band whose song I had taped off the radio so long ago. The unique sound of the guitars always made me smile, but once again, this guitar solo on a song made me think, “What is this?! Who is this?! It rocks!”

It wasn’t until ‘94 that I finally knew the name of the band: Smashing Pumpkins. I hadn’t been listening to rock music much as my school friends’ interest in music was mostly hip hop. In ‘94 I had heard some kids that I hardly knew talk about a music video with a guy in an ice cream truck. I had no idea what they were talking about as my family didn’t have cable TV. These kids said that it was the best video “ever” for some song called “Today.” So as an impressionable youth, I started to listen to the alternative rock station again and heard Today and Disarm played back to back on a “block party” weekend where the radio station played 3 songs in a row of the same band. I later taped Today, with its memorable riff and powerful guitar tones, and listened to it over and over again.

It wouldn’t be until September of 1995 that I heard these same kids who were talking about the “Today” video mention the amazement of the Smashing Pumpkins recording a double album and how the band misspelled Melancholy. It was at that moment that I knew something special was going to happen when their new album came out. I remember listening to the radio and the excitement around the time of its release with an upcoming live concert broadcast that was going happen. The DJ came on the radio saying that they just got the new Smashing Pumpkins album and they were going play some of it. They played “Tonight, Tonight,” “Jellybelly,” “Zero,” and then “Bullet with Butterfly Wings.” It was so amazing to me at the young age of 14, rocking my air guitar as Bullet was playing. They continued by playing more songs off of Mellon Collie and my mind was made up: I wanted this album!

I listened to the now famous broadcast of the ‘95 Riviera show: how they started with the same songs I had rocked out to just a few days earlier and then the sudden power failure during Zero. That night I told my mom that I wanted the new Smashing Pumpkins record for Christmas (even though I knew it was months away).

On Christmas day 1995, I was opening presents and found 2 small gifts wrapped – one larger than the other. I opened the smaller one first and saw this red cassette box with 2 smiling little girls on it. I didn’t know what it was, but I saw the title, “Smashing Pumpkins * Siamese Dream.” At this time I had no idea what was possibly on it. The larger package I opened up and recognized right away! It was Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on cassette. I must have jumped 2 feet in the air with excitement by the arrival of this gift. I opened up the Mellon Collie cassette and looked at all the art, amazed with the kitty cats that were being married and the bunnies playing baseball. Then I saw the band’s picture for the first time: Billy Corgan standing there with his dark hair combed back, D’arcy holding a carrot as if it had some magical power, Jimmy looking like he was about to fall over, and James, well, looking like James. I would later go upstairs and open up this new — unknown to me at the time — cassette of Siamese Dream. I put on side A and these familiar drums started playing. Once again I grabbed my trusty air guitar and rocked out! The album I had never heard of ended up being one of my favorite albums of all time. I later listened to all of Mellon Collie and rocked out so much and also enjoyed “To Forgive” as it brought me back down. I even remember fast forwarding through “Tales of a Scorched Earth,” finding it too heavy for my liking, and acting super silly as I heard “We Only Come Out at Night.”>
Heartwarming stuff

Old 11-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #72
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
I’m a lurker and check in here a few times a week. I actually use it as my main source of Pumpkins news and I like reading the banter. I rarely post as when I do I usually get insulted, shot down, or provoke some sort of angry reaction even though I usually say benign / positive things. I can’t take that heat so I stay out of the kitchen and sit in the lounge listening in.
It's OK Whir34, I remember ya.

Ah, wait it was Whir33, nm

Old 11-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #73
Orion922
Amish Rake Fighter

This is my first time looking at Netphoria in 15 years. So I don’t consider myself a “lurker”

Old 12-08-2020, 05:38 AM   #74
horsefly
Oblivious Virgin

I've lurked at this place for years.

Not on FB, so don't participate with any SP related stuff there. Since Crestfallen went offline I was unaware of any place to go to get any kind of Pumpkins news and musings. So every few days I'd scan this forum, wading through bullshit hot takes and man baby strops, for anything of worth.
When this thread was created I made an account thinking I might step into the ring... then thought better of it... and have now re-thought my thought and announced myself.

Full disclosure: Cyr is a solid album and on regular rotation at the moment. Come at me!

Old 12-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #75
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

Come at you? Brother-man, Imma come with you!

Luvers of the CYR, unite!!

Old 12-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #76
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Omg this lurkers corner is heating up, u know, i was, i was wondering, you know, if you could keep on, because the force, its got a lot of power, and it make me feel like, ah, it make me feel like...

oooooh!!

Old 12-09-2020, 06:16 AM   #77
localhfever
Amish Rake Fighter

Hello

Old 12-09-2020, 06:18 AM   #78
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Angry

Go fuck yourself, you abhorrent piece of shit.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #79
localhfever
Amish Rake Fighter

Why all this anger?

Old 12-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #80
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

it's how this board raised me

i greet my parents likewise

Old 12-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #81
localhfever
Amish Rake Fighter

I’m convinced all people should be greeted like that, knowing they’re just going to disappoint you later on

Old 03-05-2021, 04:39 AM   #82
run2pee
Minion of Satan

God damnit but im gonna have to bump

b/c i see u dicks on here every day, lurkin, snoopin, narry a peep

for fuck sake! say hi, we will not eat u alive. In fact, i promise to personally greet u with gentle mouthfeel right here in this very thread if u just spare a minute to say that u exist and that u are here so we can be friends with me

sorry, but for fucks sake: POST SOMETHING, ANYTHING, YOU LURKING-ASS SONS OF BOYGOD/ALL MOTHERS FARTS

Old 03-05-2021, 04:40 AM   #83
run2pee
Minion of Satan

That's right, i called u out

Old 03-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #84
Cool As Ice Cream

i exist
i am here

Old 03-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #85
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I live here, hell my cot is still under the stairs every night. That familiar old heavy green blanket that's worn lighter on one side from the weather elements. Will you come warm yourself by the fire? or is the heat from SP's mighty fire too hot? Trent Reznor might not have no soul, but goddamn is our souls are cleansed by Wild Bill and his muscle, Jimmy James. It's freaking 2021 and we're still rocking.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:22 AM   #86
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
under the stairs
Forever?

Old 03-06-2021, 01:20 AM   #87
Ram27
dumb

the stars/stairs couplet is a textbook corgan lyric. like that little piece he wrote about 'there was a dog and it was red so we called the song cow'

Old 03-07-2021, 01:54 AM   #88
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
i exist
i am here
HE IS HERE EVERYONE, he has flown by at about 30 degrees to the horizon, silent, hovering, no apparent means of propulsion, looks like a huge dark boomerang shaped craft up there against these crimson sunset skies over the desolate windswept plains of the SP board, this apparently superior intelligence letting itself be known, but why?

Old 03-07-2021, 01:56 AM   #89
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I live here, hell my cot is still under the stairs every night. That familiar old heavy green blanket that's worn lighter on one side from the weather elements. Will you come warm yourself by the fire? or is the heat from SP's mighty fire too hot? Trent Reznor might not have no soul, but goddamn is our souls are cleansed by Wild Bill and his muscle, Jimmy James. It's freaking 2021 and we're still rocking.
AvLo u are indeed esteemed

Give us more daily posts. Like tell us about your toothbrush problems, or which vegetable or various foodstuff that u have opinions about

It all goes toward enrichment of the community as a whole, who knows, maybe JellBell sounds better if u follow the AvLo diet

For example, give us something to work with here. Your BMI, for e.g., and whether have u plead guilty to any felony misdemeanors in the past 12 mo's

Reply securely here:

Old 03-07-2021, 01:59 AM   #90
run2pee
Minion of Satan

If we can get the lurkers up to at least ~2 posts daily on their little profile there, that would be the goal of this thread. If u read it, fucken say something u omg u simps