Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #31
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
that whole mellon collie anniversary video was such a waste of a good opportunity to really get into the dirt of making mellon collie. instead it's an hour and a half of him going on and on about how he's been playing the heel all along.
what video is this? do you have a link to it? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
He's the guy who, just a few weeks ago, felt the need to correct his fans and tell them Mike didn't quit -- he was fired. Think about it. Dude hired a 19 year old kid because he had a bad fight with his friend, pushed him into a situation he was unprepared for until his wrists were fucked, made him cancel his band's tour dates because he was "needed" when he wasn't needed after all. What's his excuse
good points, plain to see it's deranged behavior, when you lay it out like that

Old 11-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #32
T&T
Socialphobic

did we just piece together that billy is crazy in the head?
does he deserve our sympathy?

Old 11-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #33
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Sounds like one those post-MSOTS interviews where everyone in Zwan was allegedly happy. Hard to really believe him given his history.

Billy can be charming and down to earth and kind when he wants to be, and I do want him to be happy as a human being. He's gone through enough. I have a lot of empathy for all the experiences that traumatised him, and that's what drew me to his music in the first place.

But we all know he's also the guy who doesn't want to pay his taxes; he's still the fundamentally bitter guy who shows no sympathy for any marginalised people. He's the guy who, just a few weeks ago, felt the need to correct his fans and tell them Mike didn't quit -- he was fired. Think about it. Dude hired a 19 year old kid because he had a bad fight with his friend, pushed him into a situation he was unprepared for until his wrists were fucked, made him cancel his band's tour dates because he was "needed" when he wasn't needed after all. What's his excuse?

He's the guy who threatens to sue those who are less powerful than him, and who threatened Devi Ever with transphobic abuse. You go back to his Confessions, and you find him admitting to hooking up with a trans woman and then threatening to "break both [her] arms and legs" if she told anyone. ([her] because, obviously, he misgendered her).

These are the actions of a sociopath, or of someone who still has a whole lot of issues to process. Which one is it? The fact he apparently now lives in domestic bliss doesn't change this.

He can't dismiss everything as him "playing the heel". He believes his mistakes are his to atone for as he deems appropriate, but that's not how accountability works. That's not between him and his maker. The people he has hurt, both personally and as a public figure, don't owe him any good will, especially when he refuses to acknowledge any wrongdoing.

Re: his new music, I don't care about it, but that's neither here nor there. He can do whatever he wants with his time.
Slow clap. This is beautiful.

You win the internet!

Old 11-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #34
Isohedron
Oblivious Virgin

The Best, Worst, and Pumpkin Chord-iest of Smashing Pumpkins, According to Billy Corgan

Here's another new interview from this morning which I haven't seen mentioned yet. I can't seem to make a new thread so I'll just post it here I guess.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:09 AM   #35
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
haven't read it, but we can assume he hit on these points:

-the new material is getting a better reaction than anything he's put out in the past twenty years.
-20 years from now people will look back and say he was ahead of his time
-the culture just wasn't ready for it
-people want to marginalize him and don't treat him like the genre defining rock god he is
Ugh. I know Billy has said shit like this for years. But with Trump as president, I realize how similar their rhetoric is.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:57 AM   #36
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isohedron View Post
The Best, Worst, and Pumpkin Chord-iest of Smashing Pumpkins, According to Billy Corgan

Here's another new interview from this morning which I haven't seen mentioned yet. I can't seem to make a new thread so I'll just post it here I guess.
Lots of interesting stuff in here.

Biggest takeaway is he’s still butthurt over TFE.

TFE is a bad album, Bill. It’s not getting hipster reappraisal. Stop chasing it.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #37
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isohedron View Post

"You have to assume that time is at a premium in a contemporary song. You don’t have 45 seconds for an intro, you know? You got to get into it."

Sigh.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:20 AM   #38
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy is an expert on what makes a contemporary song, what with all of his contemporary hits, critical and commercial.

This is also why nobody speaks highly of his old work anymore, nobody has the patience for it.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #39
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
"You have to assume that time is at a premium in a contemporary song. You don’t have 45 seconds for an intro, you know? You got to get into it."

Sigh.
The mental knots this guy ties him himself into to make the worst music of his career are quite staggering aren't they? It's actually insulting as a fan to read that, like we are too fickle or stupid to pay his music attention if he dares to make anything that isn't a three minute pop song

The irony is that like Monuments, this terrible album will massively flop and become another failed experiment in Billy's quest to be popular again. Just get in the rehearsal space, jam with your friends and bandmates, write songs without caring what others will think, hire an actual professional producer who won't be scared to bin off the junk and get it recorded and the result won't be a hideously embarrassing impression of Grimes! Good grief

Last edited by New Art Rioter : 11-28-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #40
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

That's very true - if I wanted some ultra capitalistic/individualistic synth pop, I'd be listening to the latest Grimes. Like, I hate what she stands for, but by its own logic and standards, the aesthetics are actually interesting. But Billy can't even be Grimes.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #41
Ram27
dumb

'don't have 45 seconds for an intro' is the dumbest fucking thing i've ever heard

mayonaise. porcelina. cherub rock. hummer.

radio stations or whatever cut the intros anyway you dumbass. remember this? http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp1994-09-04

Quote:
Corgan: One time, no, I was in LA, I was in LA doing something and it was a beautiful sunny day, and I was driving this car, and Mayonaise came on the radio, and of course they didn't play the big intro, they started it right when it got heavy. And I thought, well, OK I can deal with that, you know whatever. And then when it got to the guitar solo, they cut the guitar solo out.
Iha: What the fuck is that shit man?
Corgan: What the fuck is that?
Iha: What the fuck is up with that wack shit? You know what I'm saying?
Corgan: That's the only reason we play songs is to play guitar solos!
Iha: I'm on a fuckin mission, I'm on a fucking mission.
Wretzky: We're just gonna play the intro and the guitar solo, and that's all.
Corgan: So next time, next time you hear one of our songs and it's chopped up, you call up that radio station and tell them they're fucking stupid.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #42
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Hahahah