Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #31
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I do have a little armchair interest in philosophy of science, but I'm no expert.

You're the board psychology expert, though, so you always have cool things to say about that. Especially because psychology is one of those kinds of things everybody pretends to know about, but only some people actually do.
I can't wait for next semester to take more advanced classes. I'm done with humanities etc. Especially excited for Evolutionary Psychology and Biological Basis of Behavior. science-y

Old 11-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #32
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I'm not so sure about how empty the space between stars is. But they believe the space between galaxies and galaxy clusters is probably filled by super structures, i.e. massive filaments of plasma. These are the largest "known" structures in the universe.
That's pretty cool. I wonder how dense those filaments are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I can't wait for next semester to take more advanced classes. I'm done with humanities etc. Especially excited for Evolutionary Psychology and Biological Basis of Behavior. science-y
Those sound like they would be cool. It seems like the biological bases of psychological adaptation would be a lot harder to tease out than the biological bases of physiological adaptations. A lot of creativity probably goes into trying to figure out how certain traits were selected for.

Also, I assume you'll be looking at brain chemistry? I was never good at biology on the micro scale. Things like neurochemicals and synapses, I could never make sense of.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #33
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Yes, I'm assuming the bio basis of behavior will be a lot about neurotransmission in brain synapses. I already have a grip on some of the chemicals so that should help me. Plus we went over some basics about synapses in anatomy 1 as well as the macro anatomy of the brain itself

As for the biological/evolutionary bases of psychological adaptation, I'm not sure what to expect of the course. I'm assuming some very basics like why humans get together in groups etc, but also stuff like the evolutionary aspects of higher level emotional-type behaviors, like sentimentality for instance, and what psychological advantages it brings to the species

not exactly sure though, could go in a lot of directions

Old 11-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #34
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

hey DATS WHAT SHE SED!!!!!

lolol

Old 11-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #35
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Just learned that the sunlight we see today was cooked 30,000 years ago. That's how long it takes to get from the core where it's made to the surface...then only 8 minutes to Earth.

Not a planet, but still! Fuckn wow!!!

Old 11-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #36
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Just learned that the sunlight we see today was cooked 30,000 years ago. That's how long it takes to get from the core where it's made to the surface...then only 8 minutes to Earth.

Not a planet, but still! Fuckn wow!!!
that's really fascinating, why does the energy take so long to make it to the surface of the sun? I knew the bit about the sun being 8 light minutes from Earth. So the sun turns hydrogen to helium at its core and then it takes 30,000 years for the energy from that process to crawl out to space?

Old 11-21-2015, 02:12 AM   #37
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2007/loc...t_sunlight.php

Old 11-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #38
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

i always liked stars more than planets myself.

Pure energy. The closest thing to a god in this universe. It's awe inspiring to consider. I especially like white dwarfs. All this compacted mass. Some white dwarfs are the size of a planet and yet much heavier than our sun.

This is Ik pegasi B at the bottom of this pic. This is our sun to the right (the one the left is IK pegasi A)

that small thing at the bottom is 1.15 times the weight of our sun.

Also, consider this tidbit of trivia:

"Over a very long time, a white dwarf will cool to temperatures at which it will no longer emit significant heat or light, and it will become a cold black dwarf. However, the length of time it takes for a white dwarf to reach this state is calculated to be longer than the current age of the universe (approximately 13.8 billion years), and since no white dwarf can be older than the age of the universe, it is thought that no black dwarfs yet exist. The oldest white dwarfs still radiate at temperatures of a few thousand kelvins."

And then you've got supernovas. A supernova happening even at 3000 light years away would be close enough to affect our atmosphere and deplete the ozone layer enough to expose us to unhealthy amounts of solar radiation. It has been theorized this happened before and caused some extinctions of species. At something like less than 30 lights years it would pretty much kill us by destroying most of the ozone layer. IK Pegasi B, seen in the above picture, is actually the closest currently known star (150 light years away) with the potential to go supernova. Though this is many millions of yeas away.

Whenever i consider these things i tend to get moved. Perhaps in the way one would look at a god if they existed. It makes me feel so small and yet so amazed that such power exists. We spend this absolutely insignificantly minuscule amount of time we are allowed to move our atoms about, affecting the universe at such a hypermicroscopic scale while out there there's movements of energy that can wipe the life out of entire star systems

And then there's black holes......

Old 11-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #39
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Old 11-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #40
redbreegull

the craziest thing of all is that there is no fundamental difference between stars and planets, they are both just big clumps of matter held together by gravity. one just happens to have enough mass to start nuclear fusion.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #41
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

in essence there is not much different between anything in the universe.. clumps of matter.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #42
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
You didn't just learn that. You've been sitting on that nugget of bullshit information for years, trolling the internet message boards to find some thread where it might fit. You finally found one close enough and you shit it out here. I have no respect for scum like you.
Shit cant get anything past Poots

Time for my very own "I'm done" thread, hope to see you all there...

Old 11-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #43
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
"Over a very long time, a white dwarf will cool to temperatures at which it will no longer emit significant heat or light, and it will become a cold black dwarf. However, the length of time it takes for a white dwarf to reach this state is calculated to be longer than the current age of the universe (approximately 13.8 billion years), and since no white dwarf can be older than the age of the universe, it is thought that no black dwarfs yet exist.
this is amazing. like how do we even know this?

Old 11-22-2015, 02:35 AM   #44
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

This thread gives me anxiety. I have a space phobia. I often have nightmares about getting lost in space. I get sweaty palms and increased heart rate watching space movies but I do it to try to break the phobia

Old 11-22-2015, 02:37 AM   #45
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
in essence there is not much different between anything in the universe.. clumps of matter.
The way much of the matter on earth is arranged is extraordinary

Old 11-22-2015, 03:02 AM   #46
redbreegull

just think of all the crazy shit in space we don't even have any conception of yet.

I read an article a hot minute ago about a hypothesis that the universe is a projection from a 4 dimensional black hole.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:33 AM   #47
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I know there was some kind of theory of the universe actually being some kind of 2D hologram but I believe it got disproven. It was an interesting theory because it sorta allowed for some kind of "other world" like, heaven or hell or insert whatever here. Though this is just what I remember and it might be totally wrong.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:36 AM   #48
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

nevermind, according to wiki it's still open as a possibility https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle

Old 11-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #49
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Yes, I'm assuming the bio basis of behavior will be a lot about neurotransmission in brain synapses. I already have a grip on some of the chemicals so that should help me. Plus we went over some basics about synapses in anatomy 1 as well as the macro anatomy of the brain itself

As for the biological/evolutionary bases of psychological adaptation, I'm not sure what to expect of the course. I'm assuming some very basics like why humans get together in groups etc, but also stuff like the evolutionary aspects of higher level emotional-type behaviors, like sentimentality for instance, and what psychological advantages it brings to the species

not exactly sure though, could go in a lot of directions
Yeah, it'd be cool to do real evolutionary psychology, because I find that evopsych is one of those things that all Reddit-tier bro-dudes use to explain every aspect of social life, so that they can explain away inequalities with "genesdidit." On the other hand, I think some people have gone too far in denying that there is a human nature, as if homo sapiens are somehow special in that they're the only species who don't have some sort of biological basis to their behaviour.

Quote:
i always liked stars more than planets myself.

Pure energy. The closest thing to a god in this universe. It's awe inspiring to consider. I especially like white dwarfs. All this compacted mass. Some white dwarfs are the size of a planet and yet much heavier than our sun.

This is Ik pegasi B at the bottom of this pic. This is our sun to the right (the one the left is IK pegasi A)

that small thing at the bottom is 1.15 times the weight of our sun.

Also, consider this tidbit of trivia:

"Over a very long time, a white dwarf will cool to temperatures at which it will no longer emit significant heat or light, and it will become a cold black dwarf. However, the length of time it takes for a white dwarf to reach this state is calculated to be longer than the current age of the universe (approximately 13.8 billion years), and since no white dwarf can be older than the age of the universe, it is thought that no black dwarfs yet exist. The oldest white dwarfs still radiate at temperatures of a few thousand kelvins."

And then you've got supernovas. A supernova happening even at 3000 light years away would be close enough to affect our atmosphere and deplete the ozone layer enough to expose us to unhealthy amounts of solar radiation. It has been theorized this happened before and caused some extinctions of species. At something like less than 30 lights years it would pretty much kill us by destroying most of the ozone layer. IK Pegasi B, seen in the above picture, is actually the closest currently known star (150 light years away) with the potential to go supernova. Though this is many millions of yeas away.

Whenever i consider these things i tend to get moved. Perhaps in the way one would look at a god if they existed. It makes me feel so small and yet so amazed that such power exists. We spend this absolutely insignificantly minuscule amount of time we are allowed to move our atoms about, affecting the universe at such a hypermicroscopic scale while out there there's movements of energy that can wipe the life out of entire star systems

And then there's black holes......
I took an intro astronomy course (it was pretty much astrophysics for dummies, all conceptual stuff and no math), where we learnt about the life cycle of a star and the path it will take depending on its mass and the main sequence and all that. I really hate that I've forgotten almost all of it, it was interesting shit.

I recently came across information that totally fucked with everything I thought I knew about black holes. I envisioned them as an infinitely-dense point in space so massive, its escape velocity would be equal to or greater than the speed of light, meaning anything that goes into its event horizon would get sucked in. Then I read that black holes aren't necessarily "infinitely-dense." The larger they are, the less dense they are, so some of the larger ones are around the density of water. But I guess that's if they calculate its density as its mass divided by the volume within the event horizon. If we're just talking about the "singularity," well, that word is just apparently used to describe the fact that relativistic equations break down, and we can't use them to predict anything. So, we use "singularity" to mean "we don't have a fucking clue."

Another thing that's been bothering me recently about black holes: so, from the perspective of anyone outside the black hole, it should take an infinite amount of time for anything to fall in. So, we would only see things hovering just outside the event horizon, but never falling in. If we can never observe any mass go inside a black hole, from out perspective, how can we detect black holes at all? I mean, we can only indirectly detect them anyway through gravitational effects on other bodies and quasars and stuff, but why should we see things that indicate black holes, when it is impossible from out perspective for any mass to fall within the Schwarzschild radius in the first place? Mass has to fall in for the black hole to be a black hole, making the question of whether things can fall into a black hole that already exists seem to be moot.

I mean, the only response I can think of is that anything just on the edge of the event horizon will be red-shifted so much that it would become invisible, anyway. So, to us, we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a body with it's mass inside the event horizon, and a body with all its mass just outside of it. It would interact with other bodies in the same way. So everything we call a "black hole" is really just a body functionally equivalent to a black hole for our purposes.

I have no idea if I'm right or not, though.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #50
redbreegull

I didn't realize it would appear as if nothing ever entered a black hole, I thought it would just take millions of years for a black hole to say swallow a star.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #51
Elphenor
Braindead

Don't we detect them basically by the pull they have

And you would not be able to observe something going into a black hole for the same reason you can't observe a black hole at all

Old 11-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #52
redbreegull

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Don't we detect them basically by the pull they have

And you would not be able to observe something going into a black hole for the same reason you can't observe a black hole at all
yeah I think he said we can indirectly observe black holes via the way their gravity bends the light of objects around them.

I'm not really sure, but I always thought that you would be able to see matter entering a black hole, all ripped apart and stretched over huge amounts of space. I've also heard that black holes may emit beams of visible energy.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #53
Elphenor
Braindead

Doing a google search tells me that gasses are swirled around the hole so fast that they emit X-rays that, unlike light, we can still see

The most obvious way to see them though really is just by looking at the stars that are physically positioned in a swirl around an invisible point

Last edited by Elphenor : 11-22-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #54
redbreegull

Right, I meant like if you were actually up close and personal with one and not an inconceivable distance away. Obviously it's all theory since probably no one will ever see one IRL.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #55
Elphenor
Braindead

Oh, I see

Yeah I have no real idea, but I think that's just how it's illustrated for understanding and that you wouldn't see anything like that even if you could be right there

Because that's how it usually is

Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #56
redbreegull

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to see matter get pulled in though, until it actually passes the rubicon where light cannot escape, where the matter should just disappear I think? Except for those x-rays, which I guess are not visible to the human eye but could be detected.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #57
redbreegull

you know I'm always disappointed in how limited science fictional visions of the universe seem to be compared to the mind-bending nature of actual astrophysics and quantum physics and astronomy. There is so much crazy shit in the universe, but it seems all science fiction stories just jump to this place where all the science and mystery is like so passé, and the only thing left to talk about is human drama and evil super weapons

Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #58
Elphenor
Braindead

That's fiction for you, I'm hardly ever interested in it anymore

It's true for like history as well, things that have happened in the past are actually infinitely crazier than anything the human imagination can come up with

Old 11-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #59
Elphenor
Braindead

The density of black holes thing is indeed nuts I can't comprehend it, google can not explain it to me

Old 11-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #60
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
That's fiction for you, I'm hardly ever interested in it anymore

It's true for like history as well, things that have happened in the past are actually infinitely crazier than anything the human imagination can come up with
yeah, there are a near-infinite number of nutty stories from history that would could translate into amazing works of fiction, but our interests focus on the same few events over and over and over and over and over. Let's make ANOTHER WWII FILM!!!!