Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Default "Sex, Drums, Rock n' Roll" by Kenny Aronoff

So, ol' Kenny has a book out here: http://amzn.to/2iNIugH

Good read (on a great blog) here: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2017/01...-aronoff-book/

SP Related quote, TL;DR:

But it comes to an end with Mellencamp. Who has the band on salary, he said he was gonna take three years off but really it was a matter of weeks, artists get inspired and have to create, but the band members didn’t share in the recording royalties or the songwriting royalties, they did not get rich.

But Kenny did. As Mellencamp says in the book, he’s the only one whoever worked for him who went on his own and survived.

A lot of it is personality, Billy Corgan marvels that D’arcy felt comfortable around Kenny, but not him. You’ve got to get along.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #2
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, this:

Old 01-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/63...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anyone have that gif with the lightning bolts

Old 01-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

He's next best drummer bill's worked with after Jimmy

Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Captain obvious

Kidding

Old 01-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

wow can't wait to read that dirty-secret-filled tell-all bio

Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

"i got hired to do this gig. it was awesome. we all got along.

flash forward 5 years and i get hired to do another gig. we all got along. it was awesome."

Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
He's next best drummer bill's worked with after Jimmy
One of rivals would be their best drum machine lol

Old 01-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Did he meet Paz? Write about her?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Always really liked that Adore tour they did with Kenny. He was obviously having a blast. Hella energy.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #11
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I actually read some of this at a bookstore the other day. Here what I recall. Bear in mind this will all be paraphrased.

-Kenny was actually a fan of the band since the mid-1990s. His son loved Smashing Pumpkins, and Kenny really liked Jimmy's playing on the records. When the band kicked Jimmy out in 1996, Kenny sent his 40 page resume to the band's management to offer his services. He never heard anything back and assumed the band did not care.

-Two years later, he got a call from the band's management at the time. They wanted Kenny to audition, and specifically remembered Kenny's 40 page resume. Apparently, it took hours to come through and essentially shut down business operations at the management's office that day since no one could use the fax machine. Kenny, who is known for making detailed musical charts of songs, went about learning EVERY Smashing Pumpkins song in a matter of weeks.

-A few days before the audition, the manager called Kenny again and told Kenny that Billy specifically asked Kenny not to try and emulate Chamberlin. When Kenny asked what vibe the band was going for, he was told "think Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd."

-When Kenny arrived at the rehearsal space, James was the only band member to introduce himself. D'arcy was on a phone in the hall and Billy was still at the studio finishing the mixing process on Adore. Kenny felt like he bombed the audition because there was no real interaction. Specifically, he said Billy was rocking out by himself, while James and D'arcy stared off into space. He later realized this was just the way the band liked to perform. He got the gig a few days later.

-Kenny tells the same story Billy did in the Adore liner notes, about how - at the beginning of the tour - Kenny and the percussionists all played in different time. Kenny finally complained to the sound guy, who gave them better monitors. Billy apparently demanded changes be made to arrangements and dynamics hours before the show. Kenny specifically talks about Corgan's photographic memory and how Corgan would say things like, "Hey Kenny, remember that time you played that crazy fill on the second verse of "Pug? Play that again tonight." Billy would usually go over these changes with James and D'arcy while it fell upon Kenny to communicate them to the expanded band (Garson and the percussionists).

-Kenny says Corgan was, for the most part, a gentleman, but recalls a few lapses. At one point, during one of the songs off Adore, Corgan turned around and motioned for Kenny to play something differently on drums. Corgan had not told Kenny to make any changes that day, so Kenny did his best to guess what Corgan wanted. Apparently he guessed incorrectly, and Corgan pouted for the next few songs. Another time, the band decided to extend "1979," but Kenny started wrapping up the song. He jumped back in perfectly, but Corgan stepped up to the mic and yelled "Aronoff, you're fired!" This really surprised Kenny, and he mentioned that not even Mellencamp, a notorious control freak, ever did anything like that on stage. Kenny got really pissed over the night, and finally confronted Billy about it the next day. Billy said something like "it's just Corgan humor; nothing personal." He said he immediately "got this," and never took any of Billy's little rants personally again.

-At the show in Russia, Kenny decided it would be funny to play up the "rock band image" and trash his drum set, even though Kenny loved equipment and never trashed it. At the end of the show, Kenny threw his drum kit to the stage. James and Billy, realizing what Kenny was doing, kicked all the pieces across the stage and smashed them. It turned out, however, that the kit belonged to a high ranking Russian government official, who lent them the kit (when they could not get a lot of their normal equipment through customs) on the condition that Kenny not trash it. When the band was destroying the set, the Russian dude looked at the road manager and made an "I'm gonna slit your throat" symbol. They eventually had to pay for the kit at a ridiculous price.

-Billy gets a few comments throughout the chapter. He mentioned, as Lefsetz does, that D'arcy loved Kenny and had a closer relationship with Kenny during his few months in the band than Billy did at the time. Apparently, she even campaigned to have him join full time before they decided to re-hire Jimmy. Billy also mentions that he convinced Kenny to shave his head, and poked fun at him for rocking the George Costanza look at the beginning of the tour.

-Kenny really loved playing with the band, and was happy when Corgan called him to play on a song for Toni Iommi's solo album, but never heard from Billy again after that. They did not talk until they ran into each other at NAMM in 2012.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #12
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

woah thanks for that

Old 01-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #13
FoolofaTook

There's a plethora of kennys in the above bitch.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #14
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Billy also mentions that he convinced Kenny to shave his head
Aha! I knew it!

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=183462

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 01-17-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:12 AM   #15
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

I remember that thread

I would have imbedded a picture from 'Coneheads' if I could

Old 01-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

Some of my finest work that thread

https://media.giphy.com/media/vgUFOWBwBkziE/200.gif

Old 01-17-2017, 02:14 AM   #17
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

lol fuzzy you got this one i'll admit it

Old 01-17-2017, 03:00 AM   #18
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Another time, the band decided to extend "1979," but Kenny started wrapping up the song. He jumped back in perfectly, but Corgan stepped up to the mic and yelled "Aronoff, you're fired!" This really surprised Kenny, and he mentioned that not even Mellencamp, a notorious control freak, ever did anything like that on stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEkw7jJR2Wg&t=1h15m9s

Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #19
FoolofaTook

Fuzzy you are a latter day prophet.

Praise Him!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #20
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
That was Jimmy getting "fired"! He said it to Kenny in Stockholm or Copenhagen...

Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
myosis
Minion of Satan

you're aware that Ram27 only listens to shows that feature Jimmy on drums

Old 01-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
myosis
Minion of Satan

but his point was to show how he used the 'joke' again a year later

Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #23
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
lol fuzzy you got this one i'll admit it
I would gloat and all but I suppose even a broken-clocks right twice a day

Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #24
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

<3 kinny

Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #25
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I would gloat and all but I suppose even a broken-clocks right twice a day
That's fuzzy in modesty mode
Smart as penny and brain

Old 01-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #26
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

even if the original members reuniting doesn't save the music, at least we'll have a bassist who actually speaks on stage and james's spurts of screaming

Old 02-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #27
pinballzero
Pledge

Quote:
I actually read some of this at a bookstore the other day. Here what I recall. Bear in mind this will all be paraphrased.

-Kenny was actually a fan of the band since the mid-1990s. His son loved Smashing Pumpkins, and Kenny really liked Jimmy's playing on the records. When the band kicked Jimmy out in 1996, Kenny sent his 40 page resume to the band's management to offer his services. He never heard anything back and assumed the band did not care.

-Two years later, he got a call from the band's management at the time. They wanted Kenny to audition, and specifically remembered Kenny's 40 page resume. Apparently, it took hours to come through and essentially shut down business operations at the management's office that day since no one could use the fax machine. Kenny, who is known for making detailed musical charts of songs, went about learning EVERY Smashing Pumpkins song in a matter of weeks.

-A few days before the audition, the manager called Kenny again and told Kenny that Billy specifically asked Kenny not to try and emulate Chamberlin. When Kenny asked what vibe the band was going for, he was told "think Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd."

-When Kenny arrived at the rehearsal space, James was the only band member to introduce himself. D'arcy was on a phone in the hall and Billy was still at the studio finishing the mixing process on Adore. Kenny felt like he bombed the audition because there was no real interaction. Specifically, he said Billy was rocking out by himself, while James and D'arcy stared off into space. He later realized this was just the way the band liked to perform. He got the gig a few days later.

-Kenny tells the same story Billy did in the Adore liner notes, about how - at the beginning of the tour - Kenny and the percussionists all played in different time. Kenny finally complained to the sound guy, who gave them better monitors. Billy apparently demanded changes be made to arrangements and dynamics hours before the show. Kenny specifically talks about Corgan's photographic memory and how Corgan would say things like, "Hey Kenny, remember that time you played that crazy fill on the second verse of "Pug? Play that again tonight." Billy would usually go over these changes with James and D'arcy while it fell upon Kenny to communicate them to the expanded band (Garson and the percussionists).

-Kenny says Corgan was, for the most part, a gentleman, but recalls a few lapses. At one point, during one of the songs off Adore, Corgan turned around and motioned for Kenny to play something differently on drums. Corgan had not told Kenny to make any changes that day, so Kenny did his best to guess what Corgan wanted. Apparently he guessed incorrectly, and Corgan pouted for the next few songs. Another time, the band decided to extend "1979," but Kenny started wrapping up the song. He jumped back in perfectly, but Corgan stepped up to the mic and yelled "Aronoff, you're fired!" This really surprised Kenny, and he mentioned that not even Mellencamp, a notorious control freak, ever did anything like that on stage. Kenny got really pissed over the night, and finally confronted Billy about it the next day. Billy said something like "it's just Corgan humor; nothing personal." He said he immediately "got this," and never took any of Billy's little rants personally again.

-At the show in Russia, Kenny decided it would be funny to play up the "rock band image" and trash his drum set, even though Kenny loved equipment and never trashed it. At the end of the show, Kenny threw his drum kit to the stage. James and Billy, realizing what Kenny was doing, kicked all the pieces across the stage and smashed them. It turned out, however, that the kit belonged to a high ranking Russian government official, who lent them the kit (when they could not get a lot of their normal equipment through customs) on the condition that Kenny not trash it. When the band was destroying the set, the Russian dude looked at the road manager and made an "I'm gonna slit your throat" symbol. They eventually had to pay for the kit at a ridiculous price.

-Billy gets a few comments throughout the chapter. He mentioned, as Lefsetz does, that D'arcy loved Kenny and had a closer relationship with Kenny during his few months in the band than Billy did at the time. Apparently, she even campaigned to have him join full time before they decided to re-hire Jimmy. Billy also mentions that he convinced Kenny to shave his head, and poked fun at him for rocking the George Costanza look at the beginning of the tour.

-Kenny really loved playing with the band, and was happy when Corgan called him to play on a song for Toni Iommi's solo album, but never heard from Billy again after that. They did not talk until they ran into each other at NAMM in 2012.
Solid post sir

Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #28
fuzzyroes
Banned

Any dirt in this book about Michelle Branch?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #29
FoolofaTook

Michelle Obama: would u (fuzzy) hit it

?

Old 02-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #30
fuzzyroes
Banned

She doesn't really get me fired up, no.