Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #31
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah. I bet Bill was eating orphans' hearts and skinning the last remnants of endangered species when he told her.

Lol

Old 02-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #32
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Guess he meant "new" as in songs from Teargarden -> MTAE. I wouldn't want to see James play Being Beige either. Might as well play only James-era stuff including the upcoming album.

Yes, I meant they may mostly play their period of time of involvement in the band.
And JAMES isn't yet involved in the new recordings...

Old 02-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #33
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
oh that's absolutely how they're going to sell it, to as many places as will write about it too
Absolutely! You know for a fact this will be labeled a 30th anniversary tour to boot. It's just going to suck to see this stamped REUNION when basically all we're getting is what we've always got since 2007. Yeah well, James is in tow, but who cares? Don't call it a reunion unless it's all 4 original members...no one else.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #34
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Either way, you can count me out. I'm tired of being let down every time they do this shit. His singing has gone downhill and he won't let go of the awful vibrato that he thinks is good singing. He has one chance left to so this right and he's blowing it. You know this is all him.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #35
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Yes, I meant they may mostly play their period of time of involvement in the band.
And JAMES isn't yet involved in the new recordings...
They've played together before, the three of them played old songs like Whirl, and new songs like Amaranthine back in 2016.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #36
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Yeah. I bet Bill was eating orphans' hearts and skinning the last remnants of endangered species when he told her.

Lol
BILLY doesn't communicate personnel decisions himself.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #37
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

The "reunion" band:

Old 02-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #38
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
They've played together before, the three of them played old songs like Whirl, and new songs like Amaranthine back in 2016.
I still don't expect them to play a whole concert with three guitars. Would sound too fussy...

Old 02-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #39
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd really hoped Jeff would at best be demoted to a guitar tech for this

Old 02-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #40
bigoltitties
Pledge

Ah fuck this. Sorry Jeff, I've nothing against you but you have no place in a band with Billy and James.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #41
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
BILLY doesn't communicate personnel decisions himself.
Nah, I don't buy this narrative of assuming she had to re-audition and she got an email from sp camp inc or whatever theories exist solely to serve the angle of making BC look like the worst human being in the world this week. Boring.

I'll hold out for facts if we can get them. It's too big of an elephant in the room for them to not address. It'll probably amount to "personal reasons" as a public statement, but who knows.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #42
fuzzyroes
Banned

Man, 3 guitars in Smashing Pumpkins? I know on the records there's overdub central, but I don't know why they'd bother trying a brand-new touring approach this late in the game... I know some people think that Jeff might be playing bass, but I can't see that happening. They'll have some young woman up their to fill the aesthetic... Guaranteed.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #43
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I'll say this: as much of an opportunist as Bill is, he knows a full reunion would mean $$$$$. There has to be a really, really, really, really fucking good reason she's not present.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #44
ilikeplanets
Braindead

maybe airplane mode was jealous of d'arcy

Old 02-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #45
fuzzyroes
Banned

I have to assume that D'arcy is probably a total junkie... Probably not worth the headache.

I was initially really bummed out because I thought they'd at least try to factor her in in someway, but these guys are all in their early 50's with families, bringing along some addict on the road for some perceived "authenticity" probably wasn't worth the hassle for them.

I'll say that having Jeff involved sorta muddies the waters though. Smashing Pumpkins was such an image based band and it kinda wrecks the aesthetic if you're gonna have some other random Asian guy up on stage. They should have just rolled with Billy Corgan/Jimmy Chamberlin/James Iha and bring back Ginger... That would feel and seem more authentic.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #46
fuzzyroes
Banned

Maybe also have a guy in the corner to play keyboards... But you start talking about making the stage show a 3-guitar venture and it's just totally unnecessary... I know Billy thinks he's being loyal, but he doesn't owe anything to Jeff, why have him up there when James is gonna be back? More often than not bands fuck up the live sound when they take the 3 guitarist approach... Or usually one of the rhythm guys is turned down so low, and I can't see Billy making Jeff do that.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #47
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

Smashing Pumpkins was such an image based band and it kinda wrecks the aesthetic if you're gonna have some other random Asian guy up on stage.
I don't always care for Jeff either but what the fuck

Old 02-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #48
fuzzyroes
Banned

You may not think so, but the image of Smashing Pumpkins in the 90's was a major selling point.

Image aside, people wanna feel like what they're seeing is authentic, why have some guy up there who is unneeded who wasn't in the original band? You already have the 2 original guitarists in Billy and James. Bassist would be the only suitable role for him, and that would throw off the image and romance of a reunion.

A mainstream big-time rock band with a female bassist was a big deal in those days. It was a huge selling point of their image... It's easy to overlook that fact in 2018, but to the casuals that association matters

Old 02-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #49
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I have to assume that D'arcy is probably a total junkie... Probably not worth the headache.

I was initially really bummed out because I thought they'd at least try to factor her in in someway, but these guys are all in their early 50's with families, bringing along some addict on the road for some perceived "authenticity" probably wasn't worth the hassle for them.
D'ARCY's friend PATRICK said she's clean since many years and of the best health of her life.

Which made me think of a biological wonder, being fitter with near fifty than in your twenties, or her having had permanent drug problems in the past.

Fact is, she barely spoke for herself the last years and not very organized. He instead did some curious statements that should have kept private.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #50
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
D'ARCY's friend PATRICK said she's clean since many years and of the best health of her life.

Which made me think of a biological wonder, being fitter with near fifty than in your twenties, or her having had permanent drug problems in the past.

Fact is, she barely spoke for herself the last years and not very organized. He instead did some curious statements that should have kept private.
Like all those billy's friend saying he's been writing masterpieces for the last 13 years? I see.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #51
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Nah, I don't buy this narrative of assuming she had to re-audition and she got an email from sp camp inc or whatever theories exist solely to serve the angle of making BC look like the worst human being in the world this week. Boring.

I'll hold out for facts if we can get them. It's too big of an elephant in the room for them to not address. It'll probably amount to "personal reasons" as a public statement, but who knows.
You forget LINDA STRAWBERRY already did the dirty work, ranting D'ARCY not to be fit enough to tour with the band.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #52
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
You may not think so, but the image of Smashing Pumpkins in the 90's was a major selling point.

Image aside, people wanna feel like what they're seeing is authentic, why have some guy up there who is unneeded who wasn't in the original band? You already have the 2 original guitarists in Billy and James. Bassist would be the only suitable role for him, and that would throw off the image and romance of a reunion.

A mainstream big-time rock band with a female bassist was a big deal in those days. It was a huge selling point of their image... It's easy to overlook that fact in 2018, but to the casuals that association matters
I think you missed my point. Your phrasing is really terrible there.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #53
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i never thought i'd be this disapoint that James would be back

total shit show this is

Old 02-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #54
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
The "reunion" band:
In the end, when JEFF is noodling his solo, which nothing has to do with the former piece of music...

Old 02-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #55
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:

There's like 5 mugshots within the past 10 years and her face is all blotchy and she looks strung out in all of em.

I'd like to buy the narrative that Corgan is being a cruel dick here, but we all know no one would enjoy the hype and relevancy of having a real reunion more than Billy. Even in that blurry photo she looks like a mess. She's probably too far gone. I'm sure she could play the parts fine, but it's likely just the headache of having her on board that the guys wanna avoid...

I can't really blame em. To hell with her.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #56
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
i never thought i'd be this disapoint that James would be back

total shit show this is
It's a bit anti-climatic for sure, but at least it's cooler than not having him.

I'm actually looking forward to making plans to catch an out of town gig on this tour... If it were just he and Jimmy, I probably wouldn't have bothered unless they came to town.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #57
fuzzyroes
Banned

The lack of transparency from the band is definitely shitty though...

Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #58
paranoid
Minion of Satan

had you told me 5-10 years ago we'd be seeing jimmy and james in a promo photo with billy again, i'd been over the moon. the possible darcy return with no darcy at the end of the day does sour it.

however, i imagine, given recent interviews, that billy truly wanted her a part of it, as did james, but ultimately her own health is at stake and that's not something they were willing to risk for the sake of having a full band reunion tour. i have a feeling this was a decision that was hard for them to come by and ultimately everyone involved is bummed about it.

I have a feeling she is still indeed drug free, has the total ability to play, or would have given enough rehearsal, but her mental health is probably not in a spot where going on a tour with the added pressure of being back in the spotlight is something that'd not be good for her. if we're being real here, the media and fan base over the past 10+ years has been brutal to billy as it is, i can't imagine half of the brutal shit that would be said about darcy if she put herself out there again. people are vicious. they're probably doing her a favor and there's really still good vibes going on between all of them. she's just sad she couldn't shake it ultimately.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #59
paranoid
Minion of Satan

but this is also why they've been so secretive about who is in the studio for the la sessions.. not knowing if james is involved then announcing he ultimately is takes away some of the impact of darcy not being involved. they all know that her not being a part of it will disappoint a lot of people.

it's sad. i feel bad for her. everyone goes on and on about drugs etc etc but her health probably took a bad nose dive as she was quitting in 1999 and has struggled with it since.

so quit it with the shitty darcy is a drug fiend she looks horrible etc etc remarks. it's probably a big reason why we won't be seeing her on stage now.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #60
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

had you told me during the zeitgeist tour that 10 years later the media coverage of a "reunion" would come down to Brett reading netpho - writing in on altnet - nme copying altnet - I would have asked why I should assume that SP camp would be incapable of something as easy as PR. they really left nothing out the past 2 weeks to go full amateur with this reunion.

https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...le-photoshoot/

http://www.nme.com/news/music/new-sm...n-line-2236438