Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #61
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Funny that El Corgo is saying the fan is wrong about the tempos. They’re playing them at album tempo which is something they never ever did before in the original run of the band. So live, at least, they are considerably slower than what we are used to.
They need to let Jimmy dictate the tempo as he feels fit. Playing songs at album tempo kills the classic vibe the og members have imho.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #62
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
They need to let Jimmy dictate the tempo as he feels fit. Playing songs at album tempo kills the classic vibe the og members have imho.
He’s the one that wanted to tame the faster tempos. He didn’t like the cluttered/anxious vibe of the faster tempos, or something like that. Don’t know the exact quote.

This whole argument just adds fuel to the “living in the past” fire, which is a tired trope that fans DO have a part at instigating. There’s nothing wrong with them playing these songs at album tempo, and there are a lot of reasons why it makes sense that they would do this.

And no, I’m not watching all of these vids. I’m being selective, I could give a flying fuck about ever hearing 1979, BWBW, tonight, etc etc ever again. But imo they are sounding great on TAFH, siva, superchrist, Etc..

Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #63
FoolofaTook
Immortal

Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff
Question

Was is this "Etc" you speak of?

Is it a deep cut?

Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #64
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i can send it to you for $100

Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #65
FoolofaTook
Immortal

Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff

Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #66
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan

Location: Church of United Bald Lords, praying for your souls

eternal sunshine of the immediate mind

Old 07-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #67
Cool As Ice Cream

lol

Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #68
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster

"Don't look back"
On fourty years ago...

Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #69
fuzzyroes
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Two other people are saying they dislike the vids and all of a sudden you think you have friends here. 3 people against one doesn’t mean those 3 are right, you nitwit.

House of glass I can appreciate having his own opinion about this, but doling out something that’s false as a critique is not a great way to support your critique. You, fuzzy, just say dumb shit, and though I’m in disagreement here with house of glass I’m pretty sure he’s not stoked to align himself with your moronic thinking. So shut up and fuck off, I’m smarter than you, deal with it.

And yeah sorry to say, can’t read any of your musical opinions and not laugh after having to endure your endless 3 guitar debates, and your “for Martha has octaves” bullshit.

Go listen to something else if you don’t like this. Just shut up already.

Jimmy drevpile where are you? Get in here and school this “tempo logic” please. You know your shit.
You speak a lot of words, yet say very little.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #70
fuzzyroes
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i like TAFH performance but it's waaaay to slow imo. it's the same damn riff most of the song, it's too slow for that. at least on the album a lot of the instrumental time has that crazy spoken word shit over it
Amen, it's just slogging power-chords. Not interesting enough to hold ones attention at such a slow pace. Maybe if he sang it like he used to it'd work, but it just doesn't mesh with his current restrained vocal approach.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #71
fuzzyroes
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Yeah, I hadn't seen that either - how did that one escape my "I saw everything this band ever did anywhere in public" phase? (I mean, if we're being honest, I'm still kind of in that phase, but I was REALLY in that phase back then)

If Billy's singing wasn't so raw, I would almost say that it was one of those TV appearances where they were forced to lip sync and fake play their instruments to a recorded track. (See: Darcy on the flying V?? Flemoin playing keys with a teddy bear for hands?)
That clip is from Top Of The Pops which historically has groups use a backing track with live vocals or they'll have groups lip-sync entirely .

Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #72
fuzzyroes
Immortal

Quote:
And no, I’m not watching all of these vids. I’m being selective, I could give a flying fuck about ever hearing 1979, BWBW, tonight, etc etc ever again. But imo they are sounding great on TAFH, siva, superchrist, Etc..
Oh, so you're flapping your gums without even watching all of the videos are you?

I'm not surprised

Old 07-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #73
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Oh, so you're flapping your gums without even watching all of the videos are you?

I'm not surprised
Wow. So you’re shit at reading comprehension too?

I’m not surprised.

Also, “flapping your gums?” What are you, 70?

Old 07-12-2019, 01:04 AM   #74
Ram27
Minion of Satan

Location: Iha: All right! I can't fucking hear you! (laughs) I'm just kidding. Stop your enthusiasm.

Quote:
I do hate the obvious backing track/click track songs (like Ava adore, eye, disarm).. just perform the songs, might as well play the record over the PA.
  • This is one of my biggest complaints. I didn't buy a ticket to see one of the best drummers in the world play to a drum machine backing track. I just messed around on my phone during 1979 because meh
  • re: Jimmy complaints I hate his recent cymbal choices for SP applications: dark and dry and quiet. Doesn't fit with bright walls of sound
  • Maybe this is just because I'm enough of an SP nerd, but honestly fuck all the showmanship and lights and broadway production. I don't need to see Billy's shitty iPad handwriting of Disarm lyrics on the screen behind the band. Obviously slick, tight sets are a more mass market appeal, but when I lsiten to SP, I like interesting bootlegs, where Corgan's on mushrooms in amsterdam and screams his balls off, or Jimmy dropping a stick during the Cherub outro roll in cincinnati, or that buffalo 94 show where they fucking around riffing on Stay With Me and did like 4 encores. I don't want a scripted, flawless musical, I want raw musical expression

Old 07-12-2019, 04:04 AM   #75
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I like interesting bootlegs, where Corgan's on mushrooms in amsterdam and screams his balls off, or Jimmy dropping a stick during the Cherub outro roll in cincinnati, or that buffalo 94 show where they fucking around riffing on Stay With Me and did like 4 encores.
Perhaps this is the most dynamic thing we have seen the Pumpkins do since Jimmy would come out and play guitar on 1979 or in the small clip during Mayonnaise in Vieuphoria where we see Billy playing drums and later he would play the timpani in 2008.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #76
SPfan79
Oblivious Virgin

Spot on! The album tempo is something they've rarely done until last years tour. It kills the vibe and hurts JC. I don't want to say they have to play like they did 20 years ago but liven it up a bit, jeeez!!

Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #77
RenewRevive
Apocalyptic Poster

That was pretty good actually. TAFH is the kind of song that can handle being played slower without stinking it up.