Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #391
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
omg it's kimano shortshort! or just another cool dude who likes to spend his time pretending he is wasting the time of others online.

\m/
in his mom's basement, clicking between INCEL forums, Q Anon Redit, and dead SP fan boards.

#winning

Old 08-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #392
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
trump administration has issued travel warning for New Zeeland. Because they have 23 new cases of COVID
Has anybody come up with a theory for this move? I'm struggling.

Points likely covered by articles on the subject:
- all of those active cases were detected in managed isolation, i.e. where those arriving at the border have been quarantined and are tested repeatedly throughout a two week stay, meaning that our twenty-three active are effectively Tom Hanks in The Terminal
- there has been no community transmission for a consecutive one hundred days, though a slip-up is fully expected and a fairly robust contact tracing system is in place to contend with it
- it is going to be very difficult for anybody from a country doing as poorly as the United States is to gain entry while our borders remain largely closed and this will move to a largely cost prohibitive system whereby visitors will be locked in a hotel for a fortnight on their own dime before a trip is even permitted to begin

Old 08-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #393
buzzard
Minion of Satan

That being said, we are humans and also have a national election in just over a month. We'll probably fuck it up and die.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #394
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Has anybody come up with a theory for this move? I'm struggling.

States is to gain entry while our borders remain largely closed and this will move to a largely cost prohibitive system whereby visitors will be locked in a hotel for a fortnight on their own dime before a trip is even permitted to begin
it's double speak. It isn't supposed to make sense. It's the dictator saying over and over that he is handling this better than other countries, then blaming other countries for what he's doing. Anyone doing an objectively better job than the dictator is his opponent.

Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #395
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

66% vaccination rate is not enough to establish herd immunity. If a third of Americans refuse a vaccine this virus will continue to spread and survive in the United States.

70% is still not enough to create herd immunity, but once again it's Boomers who are really fucking it up:

Quote:
Acceptance of a possible vaccine is higher than average among the young and old, with 76 percent of those aged 18-29 and 70 percent of senior citizens saying they would get a vaccine. Those in the middle appear to be the most reluctant with 59 percent of those between the ages of 50 and 64 saying they would accept a vaccine.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...s-vaccine.html

Old 08-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #396
ovary
Ownz

i think those polls are pretty meaningless because we will never have a generic "vaccine." whatever we do get will be funded by x, have an effectiveness of y, have side effects z, be promoted by x, etc etc. all those variables will determine how many people actually get it.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #397
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Perhaps I'm being too hopeful, but it wouldn't surprise me to see vaccination status feature somehow in border control measures. I had to obtain and present yellow fever immunity certification to visit a specific region some years ago, for example.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:47 PM   #398
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post
i think those polls are pretty meaningless because we will never have a generic "vaccine." whatever we do get will be funded by x, have an effectiveness of y, have side effects z, be promoted by x, etc etc. all those variables will determine how many people actually get it.

I think it's a signal of how difficult it is going to be to stop this virus in the USA. Even once vaccine protocols are available. It's likely it will be like flu, requiring vaccination at regular intervals. Tens of thousands of people die of flu here every year because vaccination rates are not high enough to control the flu virus.

This virus is deadlier. I won't feel safe ever again knowing that only 30% of young people and 59% of of middle ages or older Americans are vaccinated. (those are current annual flu vaccination rates.)

Old 08-08-2020, 11:51 PM   #399
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Imagine a scenario where the most of the world has strict vaccine requirements and is able to control COVID. But the USA struggles with low vaccination rates and the virus continues to kill 100k to 200k people per year.

What country on earth would allow Americans in? Or would want to travel here to visit the USA?

It would permanently hobble the economy.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:55 PM   #400
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

In the United States all vaccinations are effectively voluntary. There are broad loopholes that allow almost anyone to avoid vaccinations. Unless there are strong mandates by the Federal government to force people to get vaccinated this is going to suck for a long long time

Old 08-09-2020, 03:13 AM   #401
Enzed
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
trump administration has issued travel warning for New Zeeland. Because they have 23 new cases of COVID

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/ne...ectid=12354666
Holy shit you guys!

Old 08-09-2020, 03:53 AM   #402
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Perhaps I'm being too hopeful, but it wouldn't surprise me to see vaccination status feature somehow in border control measures. I had to obtain and present yellow fever immunity certification to visit a specific region some years ago, for example.
I wasn't allowed to enter Switzerland a few years ago thanks to a stamp in my passport of an African country and not having my vaccination pass on me (showing recent vaccinations against Malaria and what have you).

On the other hand, I'm not vaccinated against influenca, which has been easily available for 15 bucks for years. I see the alert to get vaccinated every year, asked several GPs and they were all against it. So no clue, I'd like to get vaccinated against covid, I just wonder if GPs will share that sentiment.

Last edited by pavementtune : 08-09-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #403
ovary
Ownz

a lot of people dont get the flu vaccine because its often not effective. if the covid one is only 50% effective and expensive and takes two boosters and has side effects i wont blame people for not getting it. that kind of thing is what im expecting from a vaccine fasttracked under incredible political pressure. i think the fastest weve ever had a vaccine before this for anything was 4 years. think it's just going to be with us for awhile no matter what.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #404
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

a lot of people don't get the flu vaccine because they don't really need it.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #405
FoolofaTook

also, you could just pray to jesus instead?

just a thought (and a prayer).

Old 08-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #406
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I saw that I was going to be treated as an outsider. So rather than play along, which is what you’re supposed to do, I decided to play heel, in wrestling parlance, and have fun with it,” he says. “I think I represent the true American value, which is the independent spirit…if that makes me a heel in modern America, I’m fine to be a heel. I’d rather be that heel than the babyface who goes along to get along.”
This is a Billy quote isn’t it?

The fact that he said “in wrestling parlance” gives it away

Old 08-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #407
FoolofaTook

Angry

Quote:
the covid one is only 50% effective
and?

imma get THREE shots, one in each eyeball and the third in the tender center of my gooch. then i'll be 150% immune.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #408
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
a lot of people dont get the flu vaccine because its often not effective. if the covid one is only 50% effective and expensive and takes two boosters and has side effects i wont blame people for not getting it. that kind of thing is what im expecting from a vaccine fasttracked under incredible political pressure. i think the fastest weve ever had a vaccine before this for anything was 4 years. think it's just going to be with us for awhile no matter what.
That's a lie

I'm going to assume you are trolling and not really that stupid

The flu vaccine is effective. Efficacy varies from year to year, but it is effective enough to slow the spread even in the USA where barely half the country gets the vaccine.

Countries with strong mandatory vaccination regimes have far fewer flu deaths thae the US.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #409
ovary
Ownz

how is it a lie that "a lot of people don't get the flu vaccine because it's often not effective"?

cdc says it reduces risk usually by 40-60% https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

why are you always so combative? calling people fucking names and shit? is it easier to assume everyone who disagrees with you is a moron or a "monster"?

Old 08-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #410
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Isn't the deal with the yearly flu vaccines that the formulation is based on projections on what specific influeza types are likely to be a problem in the coming season?

Effectiveness might not be determined so much by the quality of some given vaccine, but rather by its appropriateness in countering any one pathogen. This is only what I've gleaned from a half-remembered conversation with my doctor, to be fair, but I do wonder if the issue of flu vaccine effectiveness necessarily applies in this case. How many flavors does this one come in?

Last edited by buzzard : 08-10-2020 at 11:03 AM. Reason: a shameful error

Old 08-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #411
ovary
Ownz

who knows what the problems will be with coronavirus, because they've never made a successful vaccine for any coronavirus before. i think the issue is that immunity fades pretty quickly for coronaviruses, so maybe we'd need to be revaccinated pretty regularly. we'll see i guess.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #412
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I thought the main reason we didn't get a vaccine for MERS or SARS was that they burnt themselves out so quickly be being more lethal than they were contagious, that by the time any vaccines for them were even getting to human trials, it was considered pointless to continue pouring money into them.

As for all those other coronaviruses that cause common colds, idk.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #413
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
how is it a lie that "a lot of people don't get the flu vaccine because it's often not effective"?

cdc says it reduces risk usually by 40-60% https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

why are you always so combative? calling people fucking names and shit? is it easier to assume everyone who disagrees with you is a moron or a "monster"?
well usually they're fascists, you can look it up in the dictionary, it says 'person who doesn't agree with you'

Old 08-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #414
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

Ineffective (ie. not effective): not producing any significant or desired effect.

40-60% protection for an individual against a deadly virus is effective. In comparison to no vaccine it is very effective. The more people that are vaccinated, the greater the efficacy.

If everyone vaccinated the vaccination program would be effective in radically reducing the number of sick and dead people. It would drastically reduce the risk of virus infection for all individuals. We would have hundreds or thousands of dead each year instead of tens of thousands of dead.

If you say it's ineffective, and then post a CDC link that states it is effective. What should I think? Either you don't understand the word, or you're trolling. You posted a link to a page that explains all this:

Quote:
CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses. See “Does flu vaccine effectiveness vary by type or subtype?” and “Why is flu vaccine typically less effective against influenza A H3N2 viruses?” for more information.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 08-10-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #415
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

If you want to say "A lot of people avoid the vaccine because they think it's ineffective" that would be a true statemet. A lot of people avoid vaccines because of superstitions or ignorance. Yes i realize a small number of people are immunocomprimised and can't vaccinate, but that's why we need widespread vaccination, to protect those people. Their reason not to vaccinate has nothing to do with it's effectiveness. They rely on the efficacy of widespread vaccine addoption.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 08-10-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #416
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I thought the main reason we didn't get a vaccine for MERS or SARS was that they burnt themselves out so quickly be being more lethal than they were contagious, that by the time any vaccines for them were even getting to human trials, it was considered pointless to continue pouring money into them.

As for all those other coronaviruses that cause common colds, idk.
Yes, that's exactly what happened. But those AFAIK were the only times anyone even tried. Colds aren't deadly enough to bother I don't think

Old 08-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #417
ovary
Ownz

we could get semantic about what "effective" means but i will just concede

Old 08-11-2020, 04:22 AM   #418
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Let's hope I didn't jinx us personally, but there is now a mystery community spread in New Zealand. One of the breakouts from quarantine or mismanagement at one of the designated locations, I would have to assume.

Sounds like the city of Auckland is going right back into lockdown more or less immediately.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #419
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Putin rolling out vaccine without doing proper clinical trials.

Quote:
MOSCOW (AP) — Russia on Tuesday became the first country to officially register a coronavirus vaccine and declare it ready for use, despite international skepticism. President Vladimir Putin said that one of his daughters has already been inoculated.

Putin emphasized that the vaccine underwent the necessary tests and has proven efficient, offering a lasting immunity from the coronavirus. However, scientists at home and abroad have been sounding the alarm that the rush to start using the vaccine before Phase 3 trials — which normally last for months and involve thousands of people — could backfire.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/russi...b6960c066c3245

Old 08-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #420
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

classic Poot!