Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
Effloresce
Banned

Default McCain hires Terry Nelson as campaign manager; emerging as establishment candidate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031800966.html

Quote:
McCain Campaign Hires 'Best Bricklayer'

By Chris Cillizza and Zachary A. Goldfarb
Sunday, March 19, 2006; Page A05

In the behind-the-scenes hunt for 2008 campaign talent, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has bagged a big one.

Terry Nelson, who served as national political director for President Bush's reelection race in 2004, has signed on as a senior adviser to McCain's Straight Talk America political action committee.

"Senator McCain has demonstrated a real commitment to helping our candidates up and down the ballot and I am excited to be a part of his effort," Nelson says in a statement the PAC plans to release Monday.

Nelson's formal role for Straight Talk will be to maximize the organization's influence and effectiveness in the 2006 midterm elections, but his hiring also makes a major mark on the 2008 landscape.

McCain and his chief political strategist, John Weaver, have spent much of the past year courting key members of the Bush campaign team. Until now, the majority of that recruiting has focused on the men and women -- designated Pioneers, Rangers and Super Rangers -- who each helped collect hundreds of thousands of dollars for Bush in 2000 and again in 2004. (In that vein, Straight Talk America recently received $5,000 checks from former Texas governor Bill Clements, a Republican, and lobbyist extraordinaire Ed Rogers -- a close ally of Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, who recently removed himself from the 2008 field.) But the hiring of Nelson shows that McCain and Weaver are not neglecting the staff side of the presidential process.

Nelson, a native of Marshalltown, Iowa, managed Iowa Republican Rep. Jim Nussle's 1994 race and went on to serve as majority staff director of the Iowa state Senate caucus. Nelson served as political director of the National Republican Congressional Committee in 2000 and as deputy chief of staff at the Republican National Committee two years later. He is a partner in Dawson McCarthy Nelson, a GOP media firm, and the Crosslinks Strategy Group.

Of Nelson, McCain said: "Straight Talk is fortunate to have the strategic guidance of one of the country's most seasoned professionals."

A McCain adviser described Nelson as the "best bricklayer in the business" for his ability to build and implement a massive grass-roots political organization.

The splintering of the Bush campaign inner circle began earlier this year when Ed Gillespie, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee, signed on as treasurer of Good Government for America, the political action committee of Sen. George Allen (R-Va.).
In case you're unsure of who this guy is, he came up with the "Harold [Ford], call me" ad that was taken off the air. So much for McCain wanting to put an end to unnecessary campaign advertisements, as the anti-Ford one was probably the most frequently discussed.

Also worth noting: http://www.humanevents.com/evansnovak.php?id=18360

Quote:
Much of Republican Washington turned out at the huge Christmas party Monday night hosted by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) at the Corcoran Art Gallery. Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.), the newly elected Senate minority whip, has emerged as a major McCain backer. McCain is not only the front-runner for the presidential nomination but is emerging as the establishment candidate.
Since 2000, he has gone from the Anti-Bush Republican that I had a lot of respect for to Bush 2.0. This is very saddening. McCain seems to be their guy. He has taken yet another step away from his moderate pose. I really hope people wake up and realize that this guy is a complete tool.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

No matter how many times you say it, McCain is not a far right neocon.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Effloresce
Banned

But he's sure as hell not a moderate. And he may not be a far-right loon himself, but he's no doubt a total tool that seems to be willing to put his ass on the line for The Party and not actually think for himself.

He's "flip-flopped" on tax cuts, religion, abortion. First against giving tax breaks to the rich because he knew it would hurt the middle class, now he's for it. First called far-right evangelical Christians crazy, now hiring a Jerry Falwell staffer to shape his communications strategy. First took a more moderate stance on abortion, now slowly drifting off further to the right on that issue. First called for the end of negative campaigning, now hiring the man responsible for the most controversial political ad of 2006 that was yanked off the air. Hiring him as his CAMPAIGN MANAGER. His Karl Rove.

If Democrats play their cards right, they could paint McCain as the John Kerry of the Republican Party, they really could.

Last edited by Effloresce : 12-07-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

at least he's smarter than bush

Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Effloresce
Banned

A SMARTER George W. Bush is the last thing the country needs.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #6
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

He's further right than Bush.

Edit: This is because Bush is not a) right wing or b) a Republican.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Impossible. Effloresce believes Bush is the epitome of right, then you have Nancy Pelosi in the center, and finally Jesus on the left.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #8
Effloresce
Banned

I don't think I've ever called Nancy Pelosi a centrist on here. She's moving ahead with a centrist agenda as best as she can, but she's not one herself. See: Murtha being rejected by the moderate House dems.

McCain on the other hand is a staunch conservative posing as a moderate, but barely acting like one.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

I'll vote for McCain to work with a Democrat controlled congress.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
Effloresce
Banned

I won't.

You really trust this guy, Trotsky. Wow.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

who cares

Old 12-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean you think having dems in control of the legislative and executive branches is a good idea. it's about as good idea as having the republicans control the legislative and executive branches.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #13
Effloresce
Banned

Yeah so let's give it to the GOP again since they've handled things so well over the past 6 years

Granted if the Democrats keep a majority in the House and Senate, McCain wouldn't be able to grow to be as destructive as Bush was. But he would still make policy decisions. I do not trust him.

If a true moderate emerged from the Republican party, I'd take into account the idea of letting there be a moderate President with a Democratic controlled congress. So far I do not see this as a possibility. McCain is a fraud, man.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #14
Trotskilicious
Banned

I bet McCain would be a stellar foreign policy president. What do you mean about making policy decisions? I mean is that it? I think that's all he has the authority to do. He can appoint supreme court justices, but he's not going to push a pro lifer though a dem congress.

I like your idea of a true moderate which means a democrat with a red tie.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #15
Trotskilicious
Banned

what policy decisions would he make beyond foreign. i mean it's not like he's going to be able to do any lawmaking, since, if you forgot, is the legislative branch's job.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #16
Effloresce
Banned

He'll be terrible for social issues though. I doubt he'll do a damn thing about health care costs.

edit: He can veto.

edit 2: also, we don't know what the future holds for the House and Senate. Especially in the House. Their reign could be short-lived if Pelosi pisses too many people off and she can't figure out a way to bring the far-left and moderate Dems together. When there are elections every two years anything is possible, these days especially.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

Does the president have that power, you know, to start nationalized heath care?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #18
Effloresce
Banned

He can encourage it. Not that he would.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah he can veto, which is my point. there is a system of checks and balances that has to be dealt with when there is a R in control of the exec and a D in control of the congress. i mean, all i'm saying is that there shouldn't be any kind of radical change forced down the throats of the american public because this past election wasn't a mandate, it was a "these guys are pricks and we hate them, but you guys are douchebags so be on your toes" vote. If the Dems start persuing stuff that the american public doesn't like they're sunk.

let homos drive to Arizona to get married. i mean what the fuck does it matter? There will never be an anti-gay marrage amendment to the constitution, so it'll be a state based thing.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
He can encourage it. Not that he would.
so what? the dems in control of the congress can encourage it.

i don't think america wants nationalized heath care. I'm not a pollster but it never seems to be an issue with anyone other than democratic demogouges.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious

let homos drive to Arizona to get married. i mean what the fuck does it matter? There will never be an anti-gay marrage amendment to the constitution, so it'll be a state based thing.
the only way it would change is if the supreme court ruled that gay marriges are unconstitutional ...talk about ruling beyond the bench...

I don't know how gays could get married in Arizona and go back to Utah (if they would really want to) and suddenly not be married. I don't know anything about marriages but I think if they're married in one state, then they can claim the tax deduction on their national tax return, which is what this really about.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #22
FutureBoy
Ownz

I liked McCain til he did, well, everything that Effloresce listed. He at least seemed honest.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #23
Effloresce
Banned

Well yeah, I'd agree that Dems need to stop being so aggressive when it comes to things like gay marriage. It's not worth fighting for in this country. Sad but true. And it puts a big target on them. They need to save that energy for stuff like abortion, which is actually worth getting down in the mud and fighting with the other side about.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'm still think that strategists generally tailor their campaigns to what the candidate wants and not the other way around

i still see McCain as a Truman type with a sign on his desk "THE BUCK STOPS HERE" but we have to wait until 2008 to see if this is true. I think speculation at this point is just speculation.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #25
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Well yeah, I'd agree that Dems need to stop being so aggressive when it comes to things like gay marriage. It's not worth fighting for in this country. Sad but true. And it puts a big target on them. They need to save that energy for stuff like abortion, which is actually worth getting down in the mud and fighting with the other side about.
I don't see this being an issue in the next few years because the Dems aren't losing congress for a while. they've won the Irish-I mean Mexican swing vote and that'll put them in power in congress for at least a couple decades. Even if they screw up I don't see it switching anytime soon. So that means they have the authority to reject candidates to the supreme court they don't like. Which will probably mean pro-choicers if a democrat is in control and moderates like Sandra Day O'Connor if a republican is in control. No more Alitos and Scalias, and the latter is due for retirement.

besides if the Roe v. Wade is overturned, it'll go back to the states to decide so then we just will have pro-choicers bussing pregnant Texas girls to Illinois to get the baby cut out of them. It's not going to be an utter disaster where abortion is illegal throughout the country.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #26
Corganist
Minion of Satan

It still amuses me to no end about how Democrat people think they're so ahead of the curve when they point out how John McCain can't be trusted and will say or do anything for a vote. Its about time you guys caught up with the rest of the class.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:30 PM   #27
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious
they've won the Irish-I mean Mexican swing vote and that'll put them in power in congress for at least a couple decades.
I hope you're right.

Quote:
besides if the Roe v. Wade is overturned, it'll go back to the states to decide so then we just will have pro-choicers bussing pregnant Texas girls to Illinois to get the baby cut out of them. It's not going to be an utter disaster where abortion is illegal throughout the country.
Indeed. But that would still be really absurd imo. Talk about a major step backwards. If a woman wants to get an abortion she shouldn't have to go on a fucking road trip to get it done, I mean what the hell is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist
It still amuses me to no end about how Democrat people think they're so ahead of the curve when they point out how John McCain can't be trusted and will say or do anything for a vote. Its about time you guys caught up with the rest of the class.
Hmm, but have you caught up with the various things McCain has wavered on in the past few years, Corganist? I'm not ahead of the curve, but perhaps you're the one who needs to do some catching up.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:30 PM   #28
FutureBoy
Ownz

Who said anyone was ahead of anything?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #29
Effloresce
Banned

Yeah, I can't see how I'm trying to be "ahead of the curve" here. Rather just pointing out various flaws in McCain's "straight talk" bullshit, and questioning his motives.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #30
BlueStar
Newly independent

Quote:
Since 2000, he has gone from the Anti-Bush Republican that I had a lot of respect for to Bush 2.0. This is very saddening. McCain seems to be their guy. He has taken yet another step away from his moderate pose.
If he wants to win the Repub nomination, that is what he has to do. After the primaries (if he actually runs and if he actually wins), he'll move back to the middle so he can win the general. It's just the way the game is played.