Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #3061
Skradgee
Boardcaster

One more stupid week before Mortal Kombat X is finally out for PS3.

Waittality

Old 05-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #3062
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
Witcher 3 combat and camera are really hampering the experience for me. The story has also LITERALLY been "your princess is in another castle" so far. I'm 8 hours in and am ready to call this the most overrated game I can remember.

I will soldier on and see if I can surmount this bitterness.

GTAV however is hilarious and addictive.
i've already stopped witcher 3 in favor of GTAV though i intend to pick witcher 3 back up when i'm done with GTA but like...i'm impressed by the world in GTAV and the gameplay is sound and all but i still find myself in need of entertainment. I feel the basic gameplay of GTA was fine ten years ago but now is a little stale. I get too that theyre going for a more realistic vibe but i don't know..the fact is right now i was still havign more fun in Saint's Row 3 then in this. I want to assassinate a target by flying a plane into their chopper and jumping it last second. Or by remote controlling their car to jump in a river. Maybe later on...to be fair i haven't seen much of GTAV yet. But just plainly shooting down people coming at me in hallways and alleys is not gonna cut it anymore. I hope it picks up considerably later.

Also thought was more fun right off the bat in the genre, the Saboteur (yeah thats form like 2009 or 10 but i played it in like 2013)

As i suspected i also don't like the 3 characters thing. Ideally i want all games to allow me to create a char, but if its predetermined, i think sticking to one would help in making me care and "relate" to the character. It's kinda jarring right now. getting used to franklin....now youve got to play with Michael.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #3063
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

the three characters thing is the best thing in GTAV

it helps make the spectacular heists feel like you're inside of a movie instead of playing a video game and racking up points or whatever. the perspective shifts around to show you all of the action taking place

the missions definitely get more varied and ridiculous as time goes on.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #3064
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skradgee View Post
One more stupid week before Mortal Kombat X is finally out for PS3.

Waittality

Does it come out for last-gen next Tuesday? I know that was the rumored release date but I didn't know it was concrete. I might pick it up for PS3 despite the fact that I already own it for PC cos my laptop can barely run it (new PC ain't happening until later this year cos I just bought a new car).

Old 05-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #3065
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Anybody ever play Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues on snes? It's fucken hard. It teaches you though to jump over charging raptors.

Also infuriatingly hard is The Lord of the Rings: Volume 1. Really good music in that one though.

Both games beat the shit out of me Saturday night it was not pretty

Old 05-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #3066
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post

Also infuriatingly hard is The Lord of the Rings: Volume 1. Really good music in that one though.
I fucking loved this game. Totally impossible to play. I had to buy one of those big gamer guides which seemed strange for such a non-hype game.

I guess they really wanted you to fumble around in the dark and draw your own maps. Because that would be fun?

Once you get past those first few caves the game really opened up though. That was the first time I really felt an open-world experience. I had no idea what was going on most of the time.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #3067
Order 66
Socialphobic

I think the game was made to be used with the snes mouse.. the one that came with mario paint. Or I could just be imagining things

I remember renting it and fooling around a forest for about half an hour then turning it off because it wasn't secret of mana

Old 05-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #3068
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

The lotr game was absolute rubbish. I made the mistake of buying it. it was so insanely buggy that in a fit of teenage nerd rage i tore the page of the feature they'd done on it in nintendo power to pieces. Mainly to tear the face of the smiling hack of a designer that was behind it. Also, it wasnt hard?

it was complete garbage. well i remember the anims being pretty good. Clearly an unfinished game though. Released before it was ready. Improperly tested. Which was uncommon on consoles then..to say the least. you could increase your stats too high and they'd just roll back to zero. w

Old 05-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #3069
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I think the game was made to be used with the snes mouse.. the one that came with mario paint. Or I could just be imagining things

I remember renting it and fooling around a forest for about half an hour then turning it off because it wasn't secret of mana
You could play it with the SNES mouse, but it was super-awkward and felt like it was thrown in as an afterthought.

It was okay. Buggy (Legolas couldn't attack, and if you picked up a powerful weapon, there was a chance that it would reset your attack power stats to near the bottom), and some of the caves required a LOT of patience and mapping...but it did feel very Tolkien. The music was solid and the environments were nifty. It felt like it was a little bit more development time away from being a good game.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #3070
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
You could play it with the SNES mouse, but it was super-awkward and felt like it was thrown in as an afterthought.

It was okay. Buggy (Legolas couldn't attack, and if you picked up a powerful weapon, there was a chance that it would reset your attack power stats to near the bottom), and some of the caves required a LOT of patience and mapping...but it did feel very Tolkien. The music was solid and the environments were nifty. It felt like it was a little bit more development time away from being a good game.
Main problem I'm having is pippen keeps running away and collapsing into a pile of bones. Plus the interminable caves that Slunken mentioned. Wouldn't be so bad if the cave music weren't the worst in the game: like a 30 second loop of irritating white noise. Now that somber music outside the caves I could listen to all day

Old 05-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #3071
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

why are we even discussing this horrible game. There's tons better games you could play on snes. its scrapping the bottom at this point.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #3072
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
why are we even discussing this horrible game. There's tons better games you could play on snes. its scrapping the bottom at this point.
Nah, bottom of the barrel on the SNES would be this awful Wizard of Oz game I once played. Slower than molasses in January and boring as shite.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #3073
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Mario is Missing

That fucking game tricked me as a kid. Got home from blockbuster, popped it in expecting Super Mario World 2. I was so confused

Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #3074
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Jurassic Park was also an absolute turd

Old 05-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #3075
Order 66
Socialphobic

Home alone for snes is probably the worst game I willingly played as a kid. I guess since the snes was new and the gfx were relatively impressive for the time, I played through most of it

Then my friend got home alone 2 for some reason and it was like 10x more horrible

Say what you will about the industry these days, at least they don't shit out licensed garbage out liKe they did back then.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #3076
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

managing an empire on ck2 is a goddamn pain in the fucking ass my god i regret not going for independence instead of usurping the imperial throne. SOMEHOW some unforgivable prick took the kingdom of georgia from me. fuck you man THATS THE MOTHERLAND!! It belongs to the Bagrationi!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #3077
Trotskilicious
Banned

and illars of eternity is amaze wow, im hoping for many more games

Old 05-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #3078
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Home alone for snes is probably the worst game I willingly played as a kid. I guess since the snes was new and the gfx were relatively impressive for the time, I played through most of it

Then my friend got home alone 2 for some reason and it was like 10x more horrible

Say what you will about the industry these days, at least they don't shit out licensed garbage out liKe they did back then.
back to the future part 2

Old 05-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #3079
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
managing an empire on ck2 is a goddamn pain in the fucking ass my god i regret not going for independence instead of usurping the imperial throne. SOMEHOW some unforgivable prick took the kingdom of georgia from me. fuck you man THATS THE MOTHERLAND!! It belongs to the Bagrationi!!!
yeah i never got THAT big. i mean i was slowly getting there. I think by the time i ended my game with poland was about as big as HRE but...they had lost a bunch of counties, most to me, so they were not huge like in the beginning. But yeah like being huge seems like it would be a real headache. You see it with the computer. Revolt wars all the time. I mean i doubt they handle things as well as a player, probably pretty far form it in fact, but sometimes you see empires where the emperor changes every goddam 2 years or something.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #3080
Trotskilicious
Banned

its a constant pain in the ass

i thought id have the resources to retake anatolia and greece but you have to manage the empire instead. it fucking sucks too because they do whatever they want to each other and because its low imperial admin or whatever i cant strip titles like the kingdom of georgia which by rights belongs to the bagrationi

further i got most of thedlc in a humble bundle and one of them, not sure which, makes peasant and heretic results more of a pain which is right and just but when youre a foreign born usurper and the goddam mongrolians captured constantinople and apparently the previous basillus was cool with heresy (i cut their heads off) i get one or two every other year. getting better now that the usurper is dead but damn that kingdom of georgia issue really chaps my ass. fucking elective monarchy

maybe if you did it step by step it wouldnt be such an ordeal, usurping an empire in decline was a bad idea

Old 05-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #3081
Trotskilicious
Banned

i also need to share one of the most awesome things ive ever done on the game but i need a keyboard to type it out

the bloody reign of queen vargo the vengeful :twisted:

Old 05-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #3082
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

i uh....fuck.....

you know the thing i said once where i wrote down important dates in my game, shit that happened. well what i DIDNT mention is that i did this so i could then write a bio for every ruler i had. Some get pretty damn lengthy....no i dont know WHY i did this....

please god kill me.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #3083
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Oh man I know there are and believe me I play the shit outta em (earthbound, link2past, turtles in time, legend of the mystical ninja, illusion of Gaia probably my current faves) but it's just that I've been reading the jurassic park novels and also the two towers so I thought well shit it's 4 am and I'm not ready to pass out yet so I'll try these.

Big mistake.

But now I want to keep going in lotr. I spent all that time finding gaffers fucken glasses I can't just give up on that investment

Old 05-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #3084
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
i uh....fuck.....

you know the thing i said once where i wrote down important dates in my game, shit that happened. well what i DIDNT mention is that i did this so i could then write a bio for every ruler i had. Some get pretty damn lengthy....no i dont know WHY i did this....

please god kill me.
ive done this with many a sports game, i was considering doing it with ck2 but one of the dlcs has a chronicle which does it for you. i did this AFTER queen vardo tho

Old 05-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #3085
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

i had done one for my character in DCUO and i had actually made it look exactly like the dc wiki pages... except of course instead of comic art it was screenshots. i guess a nerd has to entertain himself.

my favorite ruler in my game was also a woman. the onyl one i ever got. her dad died before producing any male heirs. She was two years old and her mom was the regent until ruling age and worked to get the throne ready for her daughter. It still was quite a challenge to keep her in power. and thats why it was fun. I had to work....She had a lengthy reign but took forever to produce a male heir, married 3 or 4 times. They kept dying.... Queen Benedykta of Poland. She took the heads of a bunch of relatives among which nephews who had revolted after id done everything to keep them happy. And sure it made more sense to keep them alive so she wouldnt be even more hated than she already was with a kinslayer trait but i got emotional about it...fuck them, I/she decreed. She started making shit happen too. Cause when i got the Kingdom of Poland, it was fragmented and only had like...4 or 5 counties. ah...good times.

like i said before.. i feel this game is not as fun once you know exactly what to do.... i was still learning then. So i made a few mistakes or rash decisions i probably wouldn't make now. And sometimes thats what makes it fun.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 AM   #3086
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
my king has been an invalid for nearly ten years and his mom and bro stole counties
SO Old King Invalid died, it took fucking forever, and his mom and bro stole counties. Once he died, his heir was his daughter. His brother does a fucking Jamie Lannister on her and pushes her off the roof a year before becoming Queen for real. I put her sister into hiding and when she comes out at 16 it's murderin' time. The whole country was in total chaos at that point, years of regencies will do that, open rebellions everywhere, every single duke had a plot to put himself as king and she kills all of them. Every time I make an arrest, i pray they raise their flag. Every time they do. Every time they lose I chop the head off. Kinslayer fuck it, Queen Vado drinks the blood of her tormentors. I basically approached it like an RP game and had a lot of fun with it. This obviously spirals really bad, she had a -70 penalty for being a tyrant with most of the old nobles so it's kind of like how shooting missles at terrorists works, every time you put out one fire you make two more. However, each time I executed a noble I'd put a new one in that would love me for that but the funny thing was by the end of her reign the ones she first awarded territories to hated her and sometimes started revolts and I'd have to, by RP rules I made for myself, chop their head off. I did however get to completely reorganize the country and make it stronger, interestingly enough. She had a male heir and promptly died shortly after he was born, coincidentally while she warred with his father for attempting to assassinate her.

I had to suffer through yet another regency but her male heir claimed the byzantine throne during a time of particular instability and, like his grandfather, ruled as an invalid for way to goddamn long. He's dead now and his 3rd son or something is on the throne and I have the situation where my home base was swiped from me.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:07 AM   #3087
Trotskilicious
Banned

i wish i kept track of all the heads but there's a lot of red skulls in that generation of Georgian nobles

i think she killed ended up killing every single one of her uncles, her grandmother and eventually her husband

Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #3088
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
Witcher 3 combat and camera are really hampering the experience for me. The story has also LITERALLY been "your princess is in another castle" so far. I'm 8 hours in and am ready to call this the most overrated game I can remember.
Encountered any of this shit: http://www.ign.com/blogs/j_smash/201...video-evidence ?

I'm totally content playing FFVII, graphics be damned. At least it's finished!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #3089
hnibos
Braindead

I was so close to getting this game. I'll just stick to fifa as the only thing I play on ps4.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #3090
hnibos
Braindead

I've stopped smoking weed and I've gotten so much better too. I fucking toy with these assholes online.