Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Default New BC Interview with DiS: "Show me in this culture where I've ever been celebrated"

At it again:
"You show me in this culture where I've ever been celebrated to the breadth of what I've accomplished... it's never happened.”

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4...works-at-times

Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

"I don't feel the Pumpkins needs to present a band-type collective energy anymore. I'm more interested in the idealised state, because I believe that's what everyone is listening to anyway. I believe the rappers of the world and the EDM artists of the world are kicking rock bands asses because while we're worrying about what the drum fill is, they're over there tweaking some knob and moving more quickly through the dynamic range of a four minute composition than a rock band ever can. In that sense, it's not worth spending the amount of time mining out the additional data of a bands inner-communications. Nobody cares. And I know there are people who will vociferously disagree with that- Rush fans. And Muse fans. And they wouldn't be wrong... but I know that I'm right. If you look at the charts and look at what people want to listen to, they are not interested in that conversation anymore. They're interested in an idealised conversation, which is very different."

What a load of crap.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
slunken
Virgo

Old man rock and roll bill

Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

"Well nobody likes the guitar any more. We're just giving the kids what they want."

on and on about the kids again. i'm completely fed up with these interviews, and his constantly changing "vision" for day for night

Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

"Every time you trump that you bring with you a certain kind of wound or scar, you don't ever forget that. Just because you win the game it doesn't mean you forgot what it took to win the game. Just because someone pats you on the head and tells you how great you are, and there were years I lived a lot of that patting on the head, you don't forget. And maybe that's a psychological, neurosis thing you're carrying forth. You show me in this culture where I've ever been celebrated to the breadth of what I've accomplished - it's never happened."

You think?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
DaveKShape
Ownz

Lol at the idea that Billy still looks at "the charts" as a gauge of what's going on in the music world. Keep trying to scale them charts, Billy.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

To sum up the interview:
"I'm lazy and want to do easy shit like I see everyone else doing"

Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

it is true though that essentially no one would buy siamese dream II.

Well i mean outside of fans and nostalgic people over 35. I know i wouldn't want it.

Older artists are often fucked that way. If you keep putting out the same stuff, it's kinda sad, like oh look granpa thinks it's still 1990. On the other hand, not many artists are able to be many different things. So then you try to release something different and no one cares at all and labels drop you. So that leaves you to exist as some sort of nostalgic thing. But it is kinda sad. Or not. Bands like ACDC have been doing it forever and nobody really gets on their case for it. Though they also never tried to present themselves as anything but a one (good) trick pony. for someone like Corgan that challenged himself many times before, that would be abject defeat to return to SD era SP.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

The condescending tone and willful ignorance shtick is getting old.

I bet he hasn't even bothered to fucking listen to any of the music that's actually out there. Even Jimmy Chamberlin has praised St Vincent, who had a monster fucking year, the woman can fucking play. Most of the upcoming big festivals are featuring mainly rock oriented bands as headliners mixed in with pop/synth and rnb acts (like they always have been).

Old 01-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #10
lavrentis
Oblivious Virgin

Billy stop being so whiny

Old 01-12-2015, 06:11 PM   #11
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

He couldn't do Siamese Dream II even if he wanted to. He was at the peak of his talent and hungry for success in 92'. Now he's on the other side of the hill.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
slunken
Virgo

Wow he jut doesnt stop does he

Old 01-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

Show me the culture

Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

i'll fucking shoot you in the head with that. does that make sense?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #15
pumpkinfan1988
Pledge

"In many ways that record is going to be even more pop, we're not going to prove the other point"

No more pop please. Although it had some good tracks I didn't buy MTAE because I felt it had too much pop and not enough depth and guitar work. Corgan is a talented guitar player (his playing made me want to pick up a guitar) he should be showcasing that. The lack of solos for example was discouraging. If D4N is more of the same I won't be buying that one either. If I wanted to hear pop I would listen to an artist thats one dimensional and thats all they can produce. I listen to Smashing Pumpkins because it is or was the exact opposite of what the "masses" want, it was an original idea. Honestly did MTAE even sell well enough to justify continuing this new "pop visionary concept"?

Last edited by pumpkinfan1988 : 01-12-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #16
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Really though, you've got to admire that the guy came from Nowheresville Chicago to this point.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #17
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

"You do a shoot for NME or Melody Maker in 92 and the first thing they do is push you in the back because you're not good looking enough, you don't forget all that"

I guess that verifies the Kim Thayil story.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #18
DaveKShape
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Really though, you've got to admire that the guy came from Nowheresville Chicago to this point.
Yeah, OK, but with this current business model of his (which is basically "make music for business"), he's on a fast track back to Nowheresville Chicago.

He has a hardcore fan base, but he's even alienating them at this point.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
"I don't feel the Pumpkins needs to present a band-type collective energy anymore. I'm more interested in the idealised state, because I believe that's what everyone is listening to anyway. I believe the rappers of the world and the EDM artists of the world are kicking rock bands asses because while we're worrying about what the drum fill is, they're over there tweaking some knob and moving more quickly through the dynamic range of a four minute composition than a rock band ever can. In that sense, it's not worth spending the amount of time mining out the additional data of a bands inner-communications. Nobody cares. And I know there are people who will vociferously disagree with that- Rush fans. And Muse fans. And they wouldn't be wrong... but I know that I'm right. If you look at the charts and look at what people want to listen to, they are not interested in that conversation anymore. They're interested in an idealised conversation, which is very different."

What a load of crap.
it's not a load of crap, just a little misguided maybe. overly focused with you know, ariana grande or whatever vs. the fact that there are millions of people who will listen to the latest deftones or, i don't know, bad plus album hundreds of times obsessing over those very little intricacies

to his credit, there does seem to be a problem with non-commitance these days. i was a toddler in the 90s so all i can really speak on is the archived stuff, but now it doesn't seem like people will really commit to something that doesn't yield immediate, obvious results. at least not to the level it once was where a band could go through various trials & tribs without just, you know, breaking up and going mope in their own separate corners

bill-balls seems to be reacting to that despite the fact he may be bringing it on himself by this point though, what with the way things ended re: oceania/burny-burny-burn-boy era

Old 01-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #20
pumpkinfan1988
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
Yeah, OK, but with this current business model of his (which is basically "make music for business"), he's on a fast track back to Nowheresville Chicago.

He has a hardcore fan base, but he's even alienating them at this point.
I agree. If you really think about it whats happening now is the exact opposite of what the band started. They made music no one else was making, the sound was alien to the rest of the world at the time. That philosophy and those ideologies are what presented the band with so much success in the first place. Knowing that I don't know how anyone can expect a similar level of success by following the heard so to speak. The heard is boring, originality doesn't come from following it, its comes from separating yourself and arriving at new avenues of thinking.

Last edited by pumpkinfan1988 : 01-12-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #21
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Mike Byrne got a marimba for his birthday, sent anonymously

Old 01-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #22
LaBelle
Socialphobic

He was celebrated during the brief moments when he wasn't running his mouth

Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #23
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I'd say that 30 million plus albums sold and Siamese Dream being considered one of the top 10 albums of all time is celebration enough.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #24
LaBelle
Socialphobic

"Oceania was 60 minutes and it's fine, it's good, but we played it and I'd see the audience just wander off. "

or maaaaaaybe it just wasn't as good as you thought...
Billy always blaming others for his shortcomings.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #25
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
"Oceania was 60 minutes and it's fine, it's good, but we played it and I'd see the audience just wander off. "

or maaaaaaybe it just wasn't as good as you thought...
Billy always blaming others for his shortcomings.
He also played the entire, relatively unknown, album from beginning to end at every show (asides from the festivals). Of course people were going to zone out. Which he basically did to spite his audience.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #26
pumpkinfan1988
Pledge

If the "kids" don't like the old guitar sound, than why in gods name does a recent song like "one and all", have 298,374 views on Youtube. Another similar song, "Tiberus" has 367,288. Than you have a very poppy sounding song like Being Beige with only 101,416 views. Less than half the amount of views! Yet that is the new direction?

Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #27
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
He also played the entire, relatively unknown, album from beginning to end at every show (asides from the festivals). Of course people were going to zone out. Which he basically did to spite his audience.
No people zoned out and just went to the bathroom because Oceania is boring. Green Day played American Idiot in it's entirety as a set opener on that album's tour and the audience was there losing their minds for the full ride, because people really liked that album.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
No people zoned out and just went to the bathroom because Oceania is boring. Green Day played American Idiot in it's entirety as a set opener on that album's tour and the audience was there losing their minds for the full ride, because people really liked that album.
I didn't intend to come off as disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out the obvious, which is that playing a new and average kind of album from beginning to end every night wasn't such a great idea. What's even worse is his own stubbornness, he did it to spite the people he thinks were "living in the past" and refused to change things up even though he realised people weren't engaging with it.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #29
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfan1988 View Post
I agree. If you really think about it whats happening now is the exact opposite of what the band started. They made music no one else was making, the sound was alien to the rest of the world at the time. That philosophy and those ideologies are what presented the band with so much success in the first place. Knowing that I don't know how anyone can expect a similar level of success by following the heard so to speak. The heard is boring, originality doesn't come from following it, its comes from separating yourself and arriving at new avenues of thinking.
That's total bullshit. You act like the band was on the cutting edge at first. Corgan has always been an opportunist or at least until Adore. First it was stuff similar to The Cure. And then It was Janes Addiction. And then it was shoegaze and grunge.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #30
SensibleChuckle
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfan1988 View Post
If the "kids" don't like the old guitar sound, than why in gods name does a recent song like "one and all", have 298,374 views on Youtube. Another similar song, "Tiberus" has 367,288. Than you have a very poppy sounding song like Being Beige with only 101,416 views. Less than half the amount of views! Yet that is the new direction?
Being Beige has like 1.2 million listens on spotify, much more than the rest of the album. I find it weird, since its kind of a boring play, but take it for whatever its worth.