Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 AM   #31
Shallowed
Braindead

That looks like Kenny Aronoff on the set of the Cherub Rock video wearing the wardrobe from the Rocket video.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 AM   #32
ilikeplanets
Braindead

We need an alternate account thread next

Old 01-10-2020, 02:49 AM   #33
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
That looks like Kenny Aronoff on the set of the Cherub Rock video wearing the wardrobe from the Rocket video.
accurate

Old 01-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #34
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Yes.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #35
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

He's wearing the wardrobe, huh. What, like, all the clothes worn in the Rocket video.

And these two above fools concur. CHECK YOURSELFS.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #36
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Bomb The Moon, hi! There you are! Have always loved your user name/av. Tell me, is it a mr show reference?

Also, can we hear your smashing pumpkins story? Thanks!
love mr show, but i took it on as a band name \ username back after NASA actually bombed the moon back around 2010.

my pumpkins story is pretty tame. i was introduced to SD \ MCIS in '96 by my older sister. I was already somewhat familiar, due to radio play. I was annoyed by Billy's voice, at first, but still enjoyed it. i wasn't a diehard until i heard Adore... still a top 5 album for me. changed the way i looked at what had come before.

i <3 netphoria because it reminds me of the old internet.

i'm gonna go back to lurking now... (somebody leek something)

Old 01-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #37
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yes, nostalgia for that old-fashioned, pre-nuclear war internet is what keeps me coming back too. Remember when we had meat on the table every day? Ha.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #38
thedeadofnight
Ownz

haha he was there like walking around and stuff. "eyes to the pennines" and making dumb remarks about snow leopards haha i fell for it too and marked a good swing in the next chapter of little red riding hood. anything going for a few last supper portrayals in 35mm ?????

Old 01-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #39
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

you're my favourite poster of the moment, thedeadofnight. every post is a bewildering piece of art. haven't seen this level in years.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #40
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
haha he was there like walking around and stuff. "eyes to the pennines" and making dumb remarks about snow leopards haha i fell for it too and marked a good swing in the next chapter of little red riding hood. anything going for a few last supper portrayals in 35mm ?????
10/10

Less lurkin, more posts from u, pls

Especially interested in any description of thedeadofnight’s day-to-day life you’d be willing to share. Maybe if we’re lucky we can follow your methods to reaching higher awareness?

Old 01-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #41
FoolofaTook

I fully support the above two posts.

Petition to make Dadofnight supergod-mod/admin for life!

Old 01-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #42
Dan
Oblivious Virgin

I view the forum maybe once a week but only post when it's regarding the greatness of New Radicals.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:34 PM   #43
Kennys Number 1
Amish Rake Fighter

Check Netphoria everyday but this is my first post in 12 years. Usually not even logged in when i'm lurking.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #44
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Good points on your last post.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #45
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

2. Its too long, during the time that they play united states (and superchrist for that matter) they could play several other better songs

Ideally they’d rush off-stage for ten minutes while a better band played eight punk songs

Old 01-10-2020, 11:16 PM   #46
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerVelvetSpleen View Post
*sings* Lurking my liiiiiife awaaaaay. Lurking my liiiiiife awaaaaay

I remember seeing Netphoria come up on searches in the early 2000s when I was a teenager and I was like "Talking to people online? That probably requires technology other than basic internet! I cannot participate!" So yeah. I'm smart. Anyhoo I started lurking around the time of the reunion, attempted to integrate into your wonderful society and decided I'd rather be a creep. Because self esteem. I think I'm pretty fun in real life, some people agree, others cringe. The end.
HerVelvetSpleen! You’re back, hi

You’ve got plenty of good posts haven’t you. It was fun hearing from you in the “d’arcys out” “buttcanon interviews his first darcy in 20 yrs” and related threads. You’re good to have at the threadpit party when shit hits fans, or there’s any news that matters.

Thanks for stopping by. Post more, gosh, we need more like u

Old 01-10-2020, 11:34 PM   #47
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb The Moon View Post
after NASA actually bombed the moon back around 2010
What kind of idiot am i that i wasn’t even aware this happened? Guess i was blackout drunk most nights when they did it, no internet or tv, so didn’t get much news. But figured my dad at least or someone would have said hey son! They’re bombin the moon tonight yeehaw get out your spyglass, boy, and afterward we’ll hang out and talk about the Kingdom together, and Jesus and stuff

But he never said anything about it

Also, thanks Bomb The Moon for your sp story. U made me realize it was actually probably adore that sealed the deal for me too, kinda showed me what a rock band with no boundaries could look like, spent my whole life trying to find another band that hit such wildly disparate highs, still lookin

Old 01-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #48
Santa
Pledge

Old 01-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #49
Santa
Pledge

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I view the forum maybe once a week but only post when it's regarding the greatness of New Radicals.
you get what you giiiive

Old 01-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #50
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Santa! You must be relaxing right now after your big night? How’s the off season treating u! Thanks for lurkin netpho with us

Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #51
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I know you, Santa!

Old 10-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #52
thedeadofnight
Ownz

my favourite is the gumdrop lurkers haha the candy boom bop lurkers haha the

Old 10-29-2020, 02:43 AM   #53
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Given my post to time on site ratio, I’m a lurker. Especially these days when I cannot keep up with the drama anymore

Old 10-29-2020, 04:26 AM   #54
RevolutionBlues
Amish Rake Fighter

Hi I'm Lurky McLurkface

Old 10-29-2020, 05:02 AM   #55
Ram27
dumb

there are too many lurkers these days. please eliminate 3. i am not a crackpot

Old 10-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #56
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
tell us your smashing pumpkins story?
In the summer of ‘91, my sisters and I were cleaning the backyard and we had brought out a radio to listen to as we worked. Between the 5 of us, we each got to choose a station for 10 minutes. I clearly recall turning to the local alternative rock station which I had only just started listening to a few weeks earlier. A song came on whose lyrics I couldn’t make out but which sounded like a very calm melody with a slow drum beat in the background. Suddenly these louder guitars started playing, and this crazy guitar solo was playing, and I was thinking to myself, “What is this?! It rocks!” At the tender age of 10, I had my first impression of a band which I would later be fanatic about. I heard the song again months later, and mid-way through the song, I recorded it onto a tape, missing the first few minutes of it. I still wasn’t familiar with the name of the band who played the song, and I rarely to never heard the song again on the radio.

A year later I heard the song Drown and I didn’t know at the time that this was the same band whose song I had taped off the radio so long ago. The unique sound of the guitars always made me smile, but once again, this guitar solo on a song made me think, “What is this?! Who is this?! It rocks!”

It wasn’t until ‘94 that I finally knew the name of the band: Smashing Pumpkins. I hadn’t been listening to rock music much as my school friends’ interest in music was mostly hip hop. In ‘94 I had heard some kids that I hardly knew talk about a music video with a guy in an ice cream truck. I had no idea what they were talking about as my family didn’t have cable TV. These kids said that it was the best video “ever” for some song called “Today.” So as an impressionable youth, I started to listen to the alternative rock station again and heard Today and Disarm played back to back on a “block party” weekend where the radio station played 3 songs in a row of the same band. I later taped Today, with its memorable riff and powerful guitar tones, and listened to it over and over again.

It wouldn’t be until September of 1995 that I heard these same kids who were talking about the “Today” video mention the amazement of the Smashing Pumpkins recording a double album and how the band misspelled Melancholy. It was at that moment that I knew something special was going to happen when their new album came out. I remember listening to the radio and the excitement around the time of its release with an upcoming live concert broadcast that was going happen. The DJ came on the radio saying that they just got the new Smashing Pumpkins album and they were going play some of it. They played “Tonight, Tonight,” “Jellybelly,” “Zero,” and then “Bullet with Butterfly Wings.” It was so amazing to me at the young age of 14, rocking my air guitar as Bullet was playing. They continued by playing more songs off of Mellon Collie and my mind was made up: I wanted this album!

I listened to the now famous broadcast of the ‘95 Riviera show: how they started with the same songs I had rocked out to just a few days earlier and then the sudden power failure during Zero. That night I told my mom that I wanted the new Smashing Pumpkins record for Christmas (even though I knew it was months away).

On Christmas day 1995, I was opening presents and found 2 small gifts wrapped – one larger than the other. I opened the smaller one first and saw this red cassette box with 2 smiling little girls on it. I didn’t know what it was, but I saw the title, “Smashing Pumpkins * Siamese Dream.” At this time I had no idea what was possibly on it. The larger package I opened up and recognized right away! It was Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on cassette. I must have jumped 2 feet in the air with excitement by the arrival of this gift. I opened up the Mellon Collie cassette and looked at all the art, amazed with the kitty cats that were being married and the bunnies playing baseball. Then I saw the band’s picture for the first time: Billy Corgan standing there with his dark hair combed back, D’arcy holding a carrot as if it had some magical power, Jimmy looking like he was about to fall over, and James, well, looking like James. I would later go upstairs and open up this new — unknown to me at the time — cassette of Siamese Dream. I put on side A and these familiar drums started playing. Once again I grabbed my trusty air guitar and rocked out! The album I had never heard of ended up being one of my favorite albums of all time. I later listened to all of Mellon Collie and rocked out so much and also enjoyed “To Forgive” as it brought me back down. I even remember fast forwarding through “Tales of a Scorched Earth,” finding it too heavy for my liking, and acting super silly as I heard “We Only Come Out at Night.”>

Old 10-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #57
rolmos
Apocalyptic Poster

I visit once every 4 months or so to see how the train wreck is going.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #58
Glopaiswe
Pledge

I'm waiting for the Machina reissue so I can finally give up on this band. B'arcy has been extending my torture for like 6 years now

Old 10-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #59
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerVelvetSpleen View Post
It's actually Chumbawamba but Snail works too and is much cooler.
Hi HerVelvetSpleen

Totally late on this one but i just wanted u to know that i picked up upon this reference almost immediately, based solely on your expert use of extended syllables in the relevant words to correspond to how the melody of this particular part of the Chumbawumba’s hit Tubthumpin, is sung

This incidentally is my 3 y/o favorite song right now other than probably My Heart Will Go On (Love theme from the cult film Titanic)

Old 10-30-2020, 10:24 PM   #60
thedeadofnight
Ownz

chumpa-pa haha