Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #31
inkless
Ownz

stellar is good

Old 09-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #32
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

it's trendy AF to say Stellar is good

truth be told it's fairly ok

Old 09-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #33
s0ss
Demi-God

Why isn't Zeitgeist on Spotify? Is Billy really sad about it not being a popular album or did he burn bridges with the record label, again?

Old 09-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #34
s0ss
Demi-God

also i think Zeitgeist broke Billy. He wanted his come back, he did these cool residency shows and people just showed up, talked throughout the whole set and screamed for the rat in a cage song and he lost his fucking marbles, stopped eating broccoli for breakfast, promised to release a self help book, published stories on the break up of the band on blogsphere and hired a 12 year old to replicate Jimmy's drumming.

it all culminated in those anniversary shows where he just fought the crowd and played kazoos.

Zeitgeist was garbage but the songs banged live. Oh how far we've fallen since then.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #35
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I'm totally cool with the music from this period. If they ever reissued it with all the residency songs and the pre Teagarden tracks I think you would a very solid collection of music. I never went to live show during this period, and it sounds like from everyone here that the shows were good, but whenever I saw them play live on tv or on video the band just seemed so stiff and lacking in energy compared to SP1. The first thing I would have told Billy: if you want your reunion to work don't wear that half mental patient half inmate costume.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:20 PM   #36
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Stellar is great. Neverlost is good, but my favourite part is the one reminiscent of Blissed and Gone, so I wonder if that's why I like it in the first place. TTW is OK but the lyrics kind of stand out in a bad way. I don't think I would deliberately listen to anything else from that album.

Not a huge fan of the shows from that era either - the first one I attended was the infamous Nottingham one, so I'm sure that doesn't help. The version of Shame they played at the first Paris show was really great though.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #37
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Stellar is great. Neverlost is good, but my favourite part is the one reminiscent of Blissed and Gone, so I wonder if that's why I like it in the first place. TTW is OK but the lyrics kind of stand out in a bad way. I don't think I would deliberately listen to anything else from that album.

Not a huge fan of the shows from that era either - the first one I attended was the infamous Nottingham one, so I'm sure that doesn't help. The version of Shame they played at the first Paris show was really great though.
Zeitgeist shows were the only time the band had any energy IMO

Old 09-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #38
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Only great song from this era is the song Zeitgeist which was bizarrely only on the purple target version (not even on the Best Buy silver edition which collected all the stray tracks).

Other than that I may occasionally revisit Starz, Stellar, United States, and Death from Above

Everything else is pretty much a disaster of production, vocal performance, and songwriting to a degree

Ugh I get depressed thinking about this era. So much promise. There were some cool tracks from the live shows that never got recorded properly.
The era truly could’ve been one of their best if they had a real producer

Last time Billy seemed to give a shit

Old 09-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #39
dustrocck
Demi-God

That Paris Rex show which I think kicked off the SP 2.0 tour was pretty great, IIRC. Some good reworkings of songs like Shame. Gossamer was a revelation.

I remember being very excited about the new SP.

I'd probably listen to Zeitgeist somewhat regularly but I almost always listen to Spotify these days.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #40
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Roy thomas baker has worked with the greats ( quenn etc..)

Blame bill for the production. He is the one to decide in the end.

For me, bolly cant write good albums anymore.mostly the tracks are weak, the lyrics are unbearable.

A shitty song stays a shitty song no matter how u produce it.

I mean: pomp, godn country, orchid, come on, starz, ..... just LOL

Old 09-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #41
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Roy thomas baker has worked with the greats ( quenn etc..)

Blame bill for the production. He is the one to decide in the end.

For me, bolly cant write good albums anymore.mostly the tracks are weak, the lyrics are unbearable.

A shitty song stays a shitty song no matter how u produce it.

I mean: pomp, godn country, orchid, come on, starz, ..... just LOL
Quenn?

Old 09-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #42
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Give the fellah a break, would you?

He hit some wrong keys after his fingers got all sticky from milking his ... goats.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #43
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

#nerdalert but the "production" on this is actually pretty great save for stuff like the way Bill's vocals are just sort of artless thrown over the top on most of the stuff - what most of y'all are actually complaining about is just the mastering

this was also apparently the last time Jim's drums were allowed to just sound godly on an SP record, so all the more reason to cherish it!

Old 09-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #44
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Stellar and Neverlost were good.

Everything else blows megalothonal dongs.
good to see you've gone through such profound personal changes during your absence

fatherfucker

Old 09-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #45
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
#nerdalert but the "production" on this is actually pretty great save for stuff like the way Bill's vocals are just sort of artless thrown over the top on most of the stuff - what most of y'all are actually complaining about is just the mastering

this was also apparently the last time Jim's drums were allowed to just sound godly on an SP record, so all the more reason to cherish it!
Disagree
Everything sounds disconnected, like they were just recording things in a different room
Nothing blends smoothly together, there’s no bass either. Yes it was mastered poorly, but the production is just as bad for a different set of reasons

Old 09-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #46
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Doomsday Clock should’ve had balls and it just was flat
Go listen to that live rendition from the AOL sessions
Kicks ass

Old 09-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #47
FoolofaTook

Unhappy

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but you have an "attitude problem."

Old 09-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #48
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Disagree
Everything sounds disconnected, like they were just recording things in a different room
Nothing blends smoothly together, there’s no bass either. Yes it was mastered poorly, but the production is just as bad for a different set of reasons
it literally just sounds like BC (+ his many clones) & JC playing in a room together most of the time so i dunno what yer talking about frankly!

Old 09-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #49
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I had been a fan for a while when Zeitgeist came around, but it was the first time I had a chance to see them live. In a strange way it felt like the band was finally "my" band more so than watching them on MTV as a young child. I don't really see the album in a nostalgic way yet. It just freakin' rocks my socks off. I wish they would have came back with a double album and took it over the top with a sixteen minute Gossamer. The material is very strong, but there is tons of truth in the fact that the production/mixing is rough.
Were you listening to it and making all of these observations during your gorilla live shows?

Old 09-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #50
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Studio version of Doomsday totally slams and I don’t see it could be any heavier.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #51
FoolofaTook

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Were you listening to it and making all of these observations during your gorilla live shows?
lol nevar forget!

Old 09-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #52
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ss View Post
also i think Zeitgeist broke Billy. He wanted his come back, he did these cool residency shows and people just showed up, talked throughout the whole set and screamed for the rat in a cage song and he lost his fucking marbles, stopped eating broccoli for breakfast, promised to release a self help book, published stories on the break up of the band on blogsphere and hired a 12 year old to replicate Jimmy's drumming.

it all culminated in those anniversary shows where he just fought the crowd and played kazoos.

Zeitgeist was garbage but the songs banged live. Oh how far we've fallen since then.
Having been to two Orange Peel shows and an incredibly sad anniversary show, this seems pretty much spot on to me.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:56 PM   #53
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Studio version of Doomsday totally slams and I don’t see it could be any heavier.
I think the problem is more than it sounds like a pound shop Bodies without the heart.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #54
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Doomsday cock
it's lonely at the top

Old 09-15-2020, 03:11 AM   #55
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh man , i also attended a show in 2008. Suma sumarum: no motivation, boring, no interaction with fans, stupid tracklist, horrible vocal performance, annoyed bolly....just uninspired.

Bully seemed heavily frustrated.... even being rude, unfriendly to the crowd.1/3 had already left before the encore.

I had the impression that dp were dead....yeah..actually they dont play a role in modern music....actually people are laughing about them

Old 09-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #56
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Well I'm a Zeitgeist Truther too.

Truth is Zeitgeist's ~almost~ as good as SP1 albums. It's the last SP album to have "it".

Old 09-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #57
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Oh absolutely! I was jammin' it loudly in my car while we set up many legit shows as well. Surprisingly, the consensus among non-fans was that it rocked hard and sounded like Alice in Chains. As a long time AIC's fan, I don't really agree with that, though.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #58
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
The first thing I would have told Billy: if you want your reunion to work don't wear that half mental patient half inmate costume.
I think his getup during the Z era was in line with Zero and Glass. It was visually as strong, but not better.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #59
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Zeitgeist shows were the only time the band had any energy IMO
As blasphemous as it may seem I think the Z era live incarnation was in the same league as the peak of MCIS. They occasionally approached the speed-up of the Machina shows, but for the most part had a massive sound and kept it super tight. Ginger was the best SP bassist by a huge margin.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #60
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Stellar and Neverlost were good.

Everything else blows megalothonal dongs.
I Googled "megalothonal" and it returned a bunch of Netphorian posts by you. lol