Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #541
MusicMan4

i mean that's specifically why it worked for me
it was just completely nonstop beating you over the head and it was a wild ride for me
i'm :twisted: or something

Old 05-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #542
Shallowed
Braindead

However it made you feel watching three hours of intense drug taking, hooker fucking, money worshipping, life destroying chaos, that's how you were supposed to feel.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #543
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

it made me feel unsatisfied and like i wish it had some meaning

i mean. if thats a statement on what that type of life feels like then i guess it was a success but it was just sorta boring imo

Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #544
Shallowed
Braindead

Jimi: All Is by My Side

+ Andre 3000 was perfectly cast for this role, and the acting was so good that I'd continually have to remind myself that I wasn't watching Jimi Hendrix himself.

- The writing isn't just lacking, it seems to have been intentionally sabotaged to only show us a narrow era of Jimi's career, put together in broken up, pastiche segments. Some of which are completely fictional. It's irritating enough when biopics get embellished with this sort of shit, it's even worse when the whole movie isn't that interesting in the first place.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #545
MusicMan4

they couldn't get the rights to his music because his family is a load of idiots

Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #546
Bread Regal
Banned

Yeah the trailers of that I've seen with Andre 3000 are creepy. Weirder than Val Kilmer's Jim Morrison. But it looks goddamn terrible. Kind of a waste of a perfect lead.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #547
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
they couldn't get the rights to his music because his family is a load of idiots
Still could have done Hey Joe

Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #548
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

did anyone else catch all the allusions to studio ghibli films in song of the sea? there are scenes/characters/themes straight out of ponyo, spirited away, princess mononoke, etc.

i thought it was kewl.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #549
Starla

I want to see something that's going to scare the hell out of me. Sinister made me leave the light on in the living room and bathroom for a month... I need something like that or worse.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #550
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
I want to see something that's going to scare the hell out of me. Sinister made me leave the light on in the living room and bathroom for a month... I need something like that or worse.
I'd also like a suggestion on this front. Why is it so hard to make good horror

Old 05-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #551
Eulogy
huh

If you haven't seen inside or martyrs or high tension those are all pretty effective.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #552
Eulogy
huh

The evil dead remake was pretty good but more of a gore fest

Old 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #553
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I enjoyed both Sinister and recently It follows.

but neither scared the crap out of me. I need better/worse/more!

I love films like these two - no splatter blood stuff, more thriller-type than cut-arms-horror.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #554
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
did anyone else catch all the allusions to studio ghibli films in song of the sea? there are scenes/characters/themes straight out of ponyo, spirited away, princess mononoke, etc.

i thought it was kewl.
OK, I'm gonna watch this film now

Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #555
Bread Regal
Banned

Watched Legend of the Guardians, the CG epic owl fantasy movie. D is an animation buff so I end up watching a lot of animated flicks that I wouldn't otherwise.

The film looks amazing. I was really astounded by the level of detail. The character design was actually really impressive. For instance the characters look exactly like real life owls, but the creators manged to animate them very expressively, with subtlety. The plot wasn't half bad either, although it was rushed. I learned later it was a trilogy of books condensed to one movie, so that makes sense. Would recommend to anyone who wants to enjoy some stunning eye candy for an hour and a half.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #556
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

evil queen looks real cool i want to be her

Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 AM   #557
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
If you haven't seen inside or martyrs or high tension those are all pretty effective.
I went over to imdb to read the comments on Martyrs... guess I'm going to have to see this.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:18 AM   #558
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I enjoyed both Sinister and recently It follows.

but neither scared the crap out of me. I need better/worse/more!

I love films like these two - no splatter blood stuff, more thriller-type than cut-arms-horror.
Maybe I just don't scare as easily anymore, but movies about demonic possession, along with a good story line will get to me.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:52 AM   #559
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

possessions or ghosts. These are the only thing bound to scare me IF done right which nowadays is nearly never.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #560
Mo
Immortal

View post on imgur.com

Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #561
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

nice

Old 05-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #562
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
This is so great. Imgur's new embed format is almost as terrifying as this is great.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #563
Mooney
Socialphobic

just watched the conformist. one of the most beautiful films i can remember seeing. many would consider the cinematography indulgent, but i like that generally.

i had assumed that by 1970 italian film makers would have moved beyond post-sync audio, but i guess not unfortunately. it's only slightly annoying because generally you're focusing on the subtitles through most of the dialogue.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #564
Eulogy
huh

The commercials for Spy made me chuckle. I'm really excited it's getting good reviews.

Melissa McCarthy deserves a good vehicle.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #565
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

hot fuzz was a B, amusing, well directed, shows off simon pegg's surprising versatility but it has one of the maddest third acts which i didnt like so much really

Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #566
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

The last movie I remember watching was What We Do in the Shadows and I liked it

Old 05-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #567
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i got masochistic yesterday and watched the third act of Her again, after catching it again on tv yesterday.

it's such a beautiful film. it's what cinema is all about, really. very slick and beautiful colorization and photography, great great music, an otherworldly narrative that has a bearing to everyday life and topics that could never die. it's all very simple but very accurately executed.

it was excruciatingly painful to watch because the last time i watched this film was with her, and now she's gone and i'm basically the tree that falls in the forest.

rewatching the end just shed more light on juaquin phoenix's performance, to me, though.
it really is some of the finest acting i've ever seen. he holds down entire scenes (and the entire movie basically) completely on his own, extreme close ups and all.
his face expresses such raw emotions, so many details in his acting and his reactions, especially in that third act i rewatched yesterday, are gut wrenching. you can feel the emptiness and the confusion and the devastation of finding yourself alone again, in a vacant apartment, not knowing what to do. it's all the more astute because in the movie she was never really there.
anyway, yeah. probably should have just changed the channel.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #568
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

this one sums up how I saw the film. not so much about breakup - but about the
sweet moments you can have with someone.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #569
Order 66
Socialphobic

sat around watching movies all weekend..

john wick - okay so i rented this because of the rave reviews (i think it's like 90% on metacritic) but it's pretty much every hitman movie i've ever seen, except in this one he's trying to avenge his dog. or something ... i mean, it's a perfectly competent action movie i just can't figure out why for the life of me this was so acclaimed

intersteller - one of the lesser nolan movies imo.. it just seemed to jump around too much for me most of the characters were just "there"... thought some of the quantum physics concepts were cool (we can go down to this planet for five minutes but you'll be on this ship for 50 years!) ... overall pretty good i just expected a little more

birdman - neat little movie, keaton was great, glad to see him get a good role again, norton almost stole the show... movie goes a little off rails and it's seems kind of overrated per the oscar hype from months ago.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #570
Eulogy
huh

I got nothing going on today. Anyone wanna recommend something that's on netflix?