Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #1201
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I have no idea what people pay for PJ collectables nowadays
way too much. the secondary market for a ton of their stuff is beyond ridiculous. as you can see.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #1202
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Saw them Tuesday in Philly. The new stuff sounds really good live.

Oh and they went Breath > SOLAT so that was awesome.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #1203
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Oh and they went Breath > SOLAT so that was awesome.
Saw that on the ol' Instagram - mighty, mighty cool two hit combo there. Manage to avoid the merch tomfoolery, or did you sucked in?

Gents gotta start playing Getaway - that jam melts my brain.

Thoughts on PJ week performances so far? Mine, in short:

"Footsteps" by Cornell/Avetts: best so far, but that ain't saying much.

"Corduroy" by Fleet Foxes dude: interesting re-working of it. Good on him for re-assembling it a bit.

"Alive" by Dierks: Not even a (what felt like a super brief in relation to the usual time they give him to let loose) solo by McCready could save that one.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #1204
slunken
Virgo

what is a good pearl jam album to start with i heard nebraska is pretty good

Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #1205
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

hopefully they hit the midwest in the spring/summer, but i bet they go to europe.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #1206
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Ha that fall was from Tuesday (I didn't see it from this Angie, thanks). He was loaded after 4-5 bottles of wine and shotgunning champaign as we sang Happy Birthday to the band (it was their 23rd birthday Tuesday).

I don't buy merch so didn't even look at anything, but I heard shirts and posters sold out very quickly.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #1207
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

downloaded and listened to Lightning Bolt a few times this weekend. I meet it with a shrug of my shoulders. It's not a bad album, but it just has nothing memorable at all to me. The feel of the songs has hardly evolved from Backspacer at all, but whereas Backspacer was kind of a power-pop record, Lightning Bolt is all just easy listening hooks that don't do anything. Backspacer is definitely not like their best album or anything, but it brought some rock and it was nice and short. This one feels long to listen to, the songs are too sappy, etc. etc. oh well. basically just disappointing to wait 4 years for an album and have it sound like outtakes from the last album.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #1208
slunken
Virgo

now that pearl jam discussion has been merged over to gen chat we might as well delete this thread. thoughts?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #1209
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Saw them last night in San Diego - solid, solid show. Two nights of LA tomorrow and Sunday nights, stoked to say the least.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #1210
redbreegull

been listening to lightning bolt more. It has grown on me. Some good songs, a few rockers. Some that I skip every time. It's weird how instantly Backspacer clicked for me but this one took 10+ listens. Definitely not in the top 50% of PJ albums but it is also not as derivative of Backspacer as I first accused it of being.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #1211
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Saw them last night in San Diego - solid, solid show. Two nights of LA tomorrow and Sunday nights, stoked to say the least.
wish i had known you were going.

san diego was a great show, probably better than '06, which was excellent; this one will be in my top shows for sure.

la1 was a good show as well, but suffered from following san diego and having several similar songs beyond the new stuff. still not as bad in terms of repeats as the 06 la1 was to the 06 san diego.

la2 was just a strange show. ed was pissed from sirens on and it affected the show. and apparently the guitar tech, ricky ramone, whom ed embarrassed in front of 15,000 people is no longer with the band.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1212
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Vedder's been pissy all tour, he and Jeff got in some type of deal in Baltimore.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #1213
MusicMan4

I thought part of the reason pearl jam is cool eve. If you don't like them is they don't act like that

Old 11-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #1214
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

what's with the new single are the pearl jams been listening to hardcore lately

Old 11-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #1215
slunken
Virgo

What was the deal with the guitar tech? What happened?

Old 12-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #1216
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
wish i had known you were going.
Bah. And you were at all three of the same shows I was, to boot. Would have been cool to say hi. Oh well - next tour for sure.

Agree on your mini reviews of each show. San Diego was the best of the three, just a totally different vibe altogether than either LA show. Was GA for LA2, and watching the tension on stage PRIOR to the guitar swap flub felt like we were watching a movie at spots with a sub-plot that was going on behind the main plot. The main plot of course being a killer setlist - but the sub plot we were just trying to figure out what the hell was wrong up there. Could sense - and see - the tension in Ed's face. Seemed like the crowd was happy, Mike and Jeff kept sneaking glances at each other with these "what's up with him?!" smirks.

To answer your question, Slunken - in Sirens, there's a spot where Mike switches to electric guitar for the solo and the rest of the song, and Ed grabs an acoustic to fill in the gap. He picked it up for the crescendo of the song, and it was totally out of tune for the song, led to a few awkward strums, then he just tossed it as seen in that horribly telling .gif.

Don't doubt that that dude's not with them anymore. Didn't see him again for the rest of that evening... and couldn't help but wonder who's choice that was for the rest of the show. Granted, that's your one job: tune guitars - and he botched it. But still, a mistake is a mistake, yeah?

Didn't get any of the 3 posters - taking a page from your attitude towards the merch this tour felt nice. Ended up leaving some extra spending cash for the trip for sure.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #1217
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
still not as bad in terms of repeats as the 06 la1 was to the 06 san diego.
Sorry, one more comment - AMEN. I didn't go to LA night two in 2006, and as such, that show was SUCH a huge monster letdown after how good SD 2006 was, which was my first pearl jam gig. Then we went in ready a wildly new setlist, and got 95% of the same stuff. That really, really sucked - especially after seeing the set they did the following night.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #1218
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post

To answer your question, Slunken - in Sirens, there's a spot where Mike switches to electric guitar for the solo and the rest of the song, and Ed grabs an acoustic to fill in the gap. He picked it up for the crescendo of the song, and it was totally out of tune for the song, led to a few awkward strums, then he just tossed it as seen in that horribly telling .gif.

Don't doubt that that dude's not with them anymore. Didn't see him again for the rest of that evening... and couldn't help but wonder who's choice that was for the rest of the show. Granted, that's your one job: tune guitars - and he botched it. But still, a mistake is a mistake, yeah?.
That sucks. Had he been with the band long? I assume this was not and could not be an isolated incident.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #1219
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
That sucks. Had he been with the band long? I assume this was not and could not be an isolated incident.
Pretty sure that dude has been Ed's sound guy for a few years now - if not like 10+ years.

From a few nights ago - dude offered to let them shave his head if they would play a semi-obscure cut from '98. Love it.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #1220
yo soy el mejor

eddie is from illinois. when the heck are they coming here?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #1221
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
eddie is from illinois. when the heck are they coming here?
Thy played Wrigley Field a few months ago.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #1222
slunken
Virgo

look at that giant hippy

Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #1223
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Thy played Wrigley Field a few months ago.
what the shit. part of this tour? will ed and his hair be back?

Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #1224
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
what the shit. part of this tour? will ed and his hair be back?
Yeah, it was iirc the first date. It was separated a bit from the rest of the dates but essentially the same. It was held up due to storms and finished at like 1:30 a.m.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #1225
MusicMan4

There probably snt a band I hate that I like more than pearl jam
I mean they're gonna make sleater Kinney get back together and that's something to be grateful for

Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #1226
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

after carrie made fun of him on tv

Old 12-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #1227
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

surprised they would fire the guitar tech guy. i mean he did fuck up, but its not like pearl jam don't fuck up all the time. I love pearl jam and I think they are one of the best live bands around and its great they play so many different songs, but I don't think Ed has sang the right words to "I got Shit" in like 15 years. He also frequently fucks up "wishlist" and often chimes in singing verses at the wrong time or the wrong verse all together.
I saw radiohead once and something was out of tune and thom flipped his shit. he was seriously pissed

Old 12-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #1228
fuzzyroes
Banned

Saw the Pearl Jam show in Vancouver the other night. Was fucking sweet! They still really pack the enormo-domes like sardines... Played a killer 3 hour set. The band sounded great, Eds voice was top-notch.

One of the few 90's bands who's manged to age gracefully.

I had one of the tickets directly behind the band, it was cool watching Matt Cameron do his thing. Ed and the band engaged the back of the crowd several times too which was cool.

Was my first PJ show. Totally have a new found appreciation for em.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #1229
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Was my first PJ show. Totally have a new found appreciation for em.
That's where they get ya, man. As you said, they're just top notch live: if you like them even a bit and see them live, it has a way of sucking you in.

Anybody get the Lightning Bolt 'Sevens' box? Mine showed up on Christmas Eve. Having the great debate - keep and hoard - or flip for $500+ and get some other rare LPs that I'd rather have?

Mine is still sealed, but a few photos of it from the PJ forums:

Six 7" records in 3 different colors. Kind of reminds me of Siamese Singles in a way... yet for some reason, this thing is selling for like 4x what that sells for. :P

Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #1230
slunken
Virgo

That box was being hawked on eBay for $$$ months before it came out. Ridiculous.