Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #61
Tchocky
Minion of Satan
 
Tchocky's Avatar
 
Location: Wher I en nd yu begn
Posts: 6,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
at least post something that has some substance to it. two quickies:


Gee, I forgot that the Democrats have been in control of Congress for a while now. So did the author!!!!!
Gee, I forgot that, prior to 2006, the Republicans controlled Congress for 12 years...and by then the damage was pretty much done. Compared to that, 2 years isn't that long.

Quote:
.... it's ok to point out what's wrong with a certain course of action without proposing one.
You'll gain a lot more credibility with people if you do more than scream "This is wrong! We have to find another way!" Especially if you're from the side that largely put the country in this mess in the first place.

I'm not a fan of what's happening, but I have yet to see any viable alternatives proposed. Unless you've got one, shut the fuck up, all you're doing is complaining to hear yourself complain. Besides, it's only been two months. Things won't get better overnight.

 
Tchocky is offline
Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 AM   #62
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

When someone's solution to fixing a fire is to throw gasoline on it, you bet I can complain. Saying this happened because of Republicans is stupid and shortsighted.

Also what about the viable alternative of letting businesses who ran themselves into failure... fail?

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 03-31-2009, 04:19 AM   #63
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow
 
Future Boy's Avatar
 
Posts: 26,980
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
For now at least, GOP stands for "Got 0 Plans."
but its not a 0...

 
Future Boy is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #64
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
Perhaps you're not aware but it is possible to live in a city and still not be obligated to anyone else right


Is that something to be proud of?

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #65
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 29,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post


Is that something to be proud of?
Nimrod thinks it is. It is a pretty rampant attitude in the United States.

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #66
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post


Is that something to be proud of?
You need to look up the definition of the word "obligation."

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #67
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Main Entry:
1ob·li·gate Listen to the pronunciation of 1obligate
Pronunciation:
\ˈä-blə-ˌgāt\
Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
ob·li·gat·ed; ob·li·gat·ing
Etymology:
Latin obligatus, past participle of obligare
Date:
1533

1 : to bind legally or morally : constrain 2 : to commit (as funds) to meet an obligation


so...

Unless you don't pay rent, then I guess you are obligated to someone. Among other things, of course. Work, for example.

again, is this something to be proud of? not morally bound to anyone? Must be really lonely. Although I would say you are obligated to take care of your dog...

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #68
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

p.s. you need to shut up

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #69
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
Main Entry:
1ob·li·gate Listen to the pronunciation of 1obligate
Pronunciation:
\ˈä-blə-ˌgāt\
Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
ob·li·gat·ed; ob·li·gat·ing
Etymology:
Latin obligatus, past participle of obligare
Date:
1533

1 : to bind legally or morally : constrain 2 : to commit (as funds) to meet an obligation


so...

Unless you don't pay rent, then I guess you are obligated to someone. Among other things, of course. Work, for example.

again, is this something to be proud of? not morally bound to anyone? Must be really lonely. Although I would say you are obligated to take care of your dog...
.. are you kidding me? I pay rent out of selfish needs, not because I'm "obligated to someone else." Bills I pay - and fwiw, choose to pay, are not at all what we're talking about here. Christ, just go back to whatever it was you were doing when you left for six months

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #70
commando
Apocalyptic Poster
 
commando's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,664
Default

Fuck people, read Animal Farm.

 
commando is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #71
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!
 
sickbadthing's Avatar
 
Location: I have super gonorrhoea
Posts: 24,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
Fuck people, read Animal Farm.
hahahahahaha

 
sickbadthing is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #72
ravenguy2000
NO FATS
 
ravenguy2000's Avatar
 
Location: NO FEMS
Posts: 29,008
Default

I'm too busy with Catcher in the Rye and The Red Badge of Courage.

 
ravenguy2000 is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #73
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
.. are you kidding me? I pay rent out of selfish needs, not because I'm "obligated to someone else." Bills I pay - and fwiw, choose to pay, are not at all what we're talking about here. Christ, just go back to whatever it was you were doing when you left for six months
you're legally obligated to honor the rent contract

this "selfish" crap is just a way to spin things to suit your own dogma. you can go ahead and pretend you aren't obligated to do anything, you "choose" to do it but any rational, sensible person with half a brain would realize that's such a tremendous load of shit. Are you not obligated to your family in any way? Are you that selfish? Like if someone in the immediate family dies are you not obligated to go to their funeral? Seriously, stop being dumb.

You're injecting the word "choice" into a word that according to the dictionary, which you instructed me to reference, has nothing to do with choice. You can choose to ignore obligations but they're still obligations. Just because you can choose to honor/not honor something that is an obligation, viz a viz, rent, (which is a committal of funds to satisfy a legally binding contract) doesn't miraculously mean it's not an obligation.

Or were you instructing me to reference the Nimrod Dictionary of American English because I don't know where I can find that.

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-01-2009 at 10:54 PM.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #74
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
you're legally obligated to honor the rent contract
a contract i voluntarily signed! seriously you can't be this dense. you just can't. when have i ever led you to believe that i didn't believe in legally binding contracts signed voluntarily? they are also providing me a service... it's commerce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
this "selfish" crap is just a way to spin things to suit your own dogma. you can go ahead and pretend you aren't obligated to do anything, you "choose" to do it but any rational, sensible person with half a brain would realize that's such a tremendous load of shit. Are you not obligated to your family in any way? Are you that selfish? Like if someone in the immediate family dies are you not obligated to go to their funeral? Seriously, stop being dumb.

You're injecting the word "choice" into a word that according to the dictionary, which you instructed me to reference, has nothing to do with choice. You can choose to ignore obligations but they're still obligations. Just because you can choose to honor/not honor something that is an obligation, viz a viz, rent, (which is a committal of funds to satisfy a legally binding contract) doesn't miraculously mean it's not an obligation.

Or were you instructing me to reference the Nimrod Dictionary of American English because I don't know where I can find that.
good lord, you really are that dumb.

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #75
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

haha

you are still reading meaning into the word obligation that isn't there. there's nothing that says it's not voluntary or by choice. i'm not sure how you think you become obligated to something or someone but, there really isn't a lot about your mind that makes any kind of rational sense.

marriage is an obligation of choice. having children is an obligation of choice. seriously guy, you lose. you might as well delete these posts because you just look like an utter tool.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #76
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
haha

you are still reading meaning into the word obligation that isn't there. there's nothing that says it's not voluntary or by choice. i'm not sure how you think you become obligated to something or someone but, there really isn't a lot about your mind that makes any kind of rational sense.

marriage is an obligation of choice. having children is an obligation of choice. seriously guy, you lose. you might as well delete these posts because you just look like an utter tool.
You really have no grasp on what this conversation was about. Marriage? Kids? Rental Agreements?

Are you drunk?

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #77
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

i thought we were defining the word obligation

because that's what i'm talking about

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #78
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

you're also obligated to pay taxes, btw. so, no it's not possible to live in a city and not be obligated to anyone.

unless you're like, homeless.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #79
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan
 
Thaniel Buckner's Avatar
 
Location: kicksville
Posts: 7,035
Default

nimrod, just because you're willingly shortsighted in regards to you relationship with the rest of the planet, doesn't mean you don't owe anything to it.

 
Thaniel Buckner is offline
Old 04-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #80
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 61,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000 View Post
I'm too busy with Catcher in the Rye and The Red Badge of Courage.
I'm too lazy to spread in order to be able to +rep you, so consider this a +rep.

 
Eulogy is offline
Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #81
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel Buckner View Post
nimrod, just because you're willingly shortsighted in regards to you relationship with the rest of the planet, doesn't mean you don't owe anything to it.
I don't subscribe to touchy-feely economics.

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 04-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #82
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

...what

the hell

are you talking about

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #83
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

You seem to be espousing how people are born owing other people monetary compensation simply for existing.

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 04-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #84
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

...no...

this is really beyond you isn't it

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #85
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

I don't think even you know what you're talking about anymore, you're just trying to troll and argue.

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
Old 04-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #86
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 29,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
...no...

this is really beyond you isn't it
It is always frustrating in an argument with Nimrod when you get to the point where you realize he just doesn't understand what you are talking about.

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #87
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

then he says i'm trying to troll and argue

it's really quite sad

i think everyone else understood the point, it's fairly simple.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #88
Corganist
Minion of Satan
 
Corganist's Avatar
 
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
then he says i'm trying to troll and argue

it's really quite sad

i think everyone else understood the point, it's fairly simple.
Neither side is making sense.

Nimrod shouldn't have said that you can get by living in a city without obligating yourself to someone at all. If someone is wanting to be hypercritical about it and take it painfully literally, then sure, that statement is wrong. There is a baseline level of obligation you must submit to in order to get by in modern society even if you're just out for yourself.

But on the other hand, everyone else has been shifting freely between specific moral and legal obligations to you and yours (eg. pay your taxes, support your family) and vague, pie-in-the-sky, "everyone's all in this together" BS and treating them as though they're the same concept. In reality, those are two different things with two wholly different sets of implications. I don't think you have to reject the former to reject the latter.

Perhaps what Nimrod meant was "Perhaps you're not aware but it is possible to live in a city and still not be obligated to everyone else."

 
Corganist is offline
Old 04-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #89
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 29,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
Neither side is making sense.

Nimrod shouldn't have said that you can get by living in a city without obligating yourself to someone at all. If someone is wanting to be hypercritical about it and take it painfully literally, then sure, that statement is wrong. There is a baseline level of obligation you must submit to in order to get by in modern society even if you're just out for yourself.

But on the other hand, everyone else has been shifting freely between specific moral and legal obligations to you and yours (eg. pay your taxes, support your family) and vague, pie-in-the-sky, "everyone's all in this together" BS and treating them as though they're the same concept. In reality, those are two different things with two wholly different sets of implications. I don't think you have to reject the former to reject the latter.

Perhaps what Nimrod meant was "Perhaps you're not aware but it is possible to live in a city and still not be obligated to everyone else."
I don't really see how they are different except that one is expected by societal norms and the other has not been embraced yet. It seems like someone who can subscribe to the obligations expected by our culture but not higher obligations that are still a bit ahead of the social curve is just pretty shortsighted and immersed in immediacy.

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 04-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #90
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship
 
Nimrod's Son's Avatar
 
Location: in your butt
Posts: 72,959
Default

redbreegull is all about higher obligations because he hasn't had to pay taxes yet and his mommy cooks his breakfast

 
Nimrod's Son is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stupid religious argument I'm Hardcore General Chat Archive 332 02-29-2012 01:34 PM
BLOG Frankenstein General Chat Archive 13 01-30-2008 11:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014