Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #31
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I don't think more new movies make the originals feel less special. SW fans can basically choose their own version of the canon at this point.
And they do! I have friends that say everything by disney is fan fiction.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #32
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

a lot of people were attached the the expanded universe and reject disney. and disney obviously voided the whole expanded universe. and George Lucas himself said to him, the only canon were his six movies. so. who even cares. it's a big mythology with a lot of different contributors and interpretations, but the original three movies is the core of it and they will always be good

Old 06-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #33
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I loved that Last Jedi ran over all of JJ's boring world building/mystery box bullshit, backed up over them and then back again over and over until it all became just a big brown smear.

I never gave a fuck who Rey's parents were and never will.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #34
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Killing Snoke was the best thing they did on The Last Jedi (I loved the entire throne room sequence)
everything else was more miss than hit to me.

Though I don't mind what they did with Luke, just thought the execution was awkward. Same with Leia, her space walk scene in concept is sound, but in execution looked weird in a bad way.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #35
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I loved that Last Jedi ran over all of JJ's boring world building/mystery box bullshit, backed up over them and then back again over and over until it all became just a big brown smear.

#teamKenobi confirmed!

Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #36
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I've not seen the new movies.....probably because I haven't seen the old ones. I'm not sure why I never got into Star Wars, but it just didn't click. The fans do seem idiotic but that holds true for the vast majority of fandoms. I mean, check THIS place out.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #37
Elphenor
Braindead

we are not fans

Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #38
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Killing Snoke was the best thing they did on The Last Jedi (I loved the entire throne room sequence)

Though I don't mind what they did with Luke, just thought the execution was awkward. Same with Leia, her space walk scene in concept is sound, but in execution looked weird in a bad way.
I agree with 100% of this

Old 06-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #39
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I feel like I'm supposed to like Star Wars because I like other nerd shit, but I never got into it, either.

Most nerd cultures are cancer. Like, even though I am only now starting to play video games more and trying to appreciate the medium as having just we great a potential as any other, everybody I've met who identifies themselves as a "gamer" has been dreadfully dull.

And I love superhero comics, but so many superhero fans seem borderline illiterate. Instead of judging stories on theme, characterization, etc., they only think it's a good comic if the characters sufficiently resemble the versions the reader first encountered when introduced to the series. It's hard to find communities to discuss superhero comics where most people aren't brain-dead.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #40
Elphenor
Braindead

yo but Battlefront 2

Force Unleashed

Kotor 1+2

Rogue Squadron

so many good Star Wars videogames

Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #41
Elphenor
Braindead

Force Unleashed had a badass story based on some sort of expanded universe canon where you play as Vader's secret sith apprentice and hunt down Jedi

Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #42
redbreegull

I started Force Unleashed but got bored after a bit. The gameplay is very cool but pretty repetitive

Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #43
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I feel like I'm supposed to like Star Wars because I like other nerd shit, but I never got into it, either.

Most nerd cultures are cancer. Like, even though I am only now starting to play video games more and trying to appreciate the medium as having just we great a potential as any other, everybody I've met who identifies themselves as a "gamer" has been dreadfully dull.

And I love superhero comics, but so many superhero fans seem borderline illiterate. Instead of judging stories on theme, characterization, etc., they only think it's a good comic if the characters sufficiently resemble the versions the reader first encountered when introduced to the series. It's hard to find communities to discuss superhero comics where most people aren't brain-dead.
It's kind of amusing and a little sad to watch nerds reveal themselves to be just as toxic as their bullies.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #44
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I started Force Unleashed but got bored after a bit. The gameplay is very cool but pretty repetitive
the power fantasy mostly carried it

and then the sequel was a disgrace

Old 06-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #45
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:

The whole dynastic element was strong in the original trilogy though, it felt kinda satisfying to me that they would tie new Super Amaze Jedis to the old ones. The Luke/Darth Vader reveal was one of the most powerful reveals of the original trilogy, I felt like a similar parent reveal for Rey would be interesting, even though I guess it was just a cheap imitation of the original.

I suppose having been at the mercy of the guy who made Lost, it probably was better to run over everything.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #46
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:

The thing I didn’t like about the throne room scene was how weirdly easy Snoke was to kill, compared to all of his guards. I found the second half a bit tedious because I was just waiting for it to be finished, now that the main packet of narrative information had been delivered.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #47
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
I love all the new characters, I just think Last Jedi squandered a lot of their potential

I have not seen Clone Wars but I thought most fans liked it
That wouldn’t surprise me, I didn’t intentionally watch it either, just saw snippets while my kids watched it on their Kids TV channel, and was sad to see the kind of production values it had. Looking back maybe the reason I am so accepting of the newer films is because this horrible looking TV series had my expectations set very low already.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #48
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Same with Leia, her space walk scene in concept is sound, but in execution looked weird in a bad way.
I was prepared for some kind of poignant moment where she was killed off, since Carrie Fisher died I figured it would have to happen. Having her fly back like a telepathic CGI statue was a bit of a tasteless subversion. Also, being able to survive the vacuum of space is too much too ask for my suspense of disbelief.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #49
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
The whole dynastic element was strong in the original trilogy though, it felt kinda satisfying to me that they would tie new Super Amaze Jedis to the old ones. The Luke/Darth Vader reveal was one of the most powerful reveals of the original trilogy, I felt like a similar parent reveal for Rey would be interesting, even though I guess it was just a cheap imitation of the original.
That's just it. JJ's stuff all felt like a lazy rehash of shit we've seen before. Last Jedi wasn't perfect, but at least it felt different and new.

Quote:
I suppose having been at the mercy of the guy who made Lost, it probably was better to run over everything.
I'm sayin'.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #50
redbreegull

being different was not enough to make the last jedi enjoyable for me. the problems with it are just too big, leaving the predictable TFA as the superior film

Abrams' vision of the SW universe was much better regardless of the plot being a rehash, and I had incredibly low expectations for him because I hate his Star Trek movies. The Last Jedi actually felt like they made a movie from fan fiction or something

Old 06-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #51
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Eh, I'd prefer new and flawed over rote and predictable.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #52
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Full disclosure though: I don't feel *that* passionately about these films, so we can still be friends.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #53
redbreegull

Quote:
Eh, I'd prefer new and flawed over rote and predictable.
In most cases I would agree with you, I just thought the bad parts of TLJ were really, really bad.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #54
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Stuff like this just makes me kinda wish the whole Star Wars franchise simply ceased to exist.
And I like Star Wars movies.
How did people expect things were gonna turn out once Disney bought the rights to the franchise?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #55
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I don't know, they seem to take no issue with the marvel stuff which is also ruled by disney.

Oh well.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #56
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Smashing Pumpkins dis at about the 5 minute mark

Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #57
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

So, you like Red Letter Media eh?

Old 07-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #58
LaBelle
Socialphobic

https://kyber.io/orz/src/1508267224790477.gif

Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #59
Elphenor
Braindead

but you're a Star Wars fan doesn't that make you an idiot

Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #60
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I went to see the Han Solo movie, I most definitely feel like one.