Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #481
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
oh i totally agree lol. i was just trying to answer the question

i'm not really taking anything right now. i mean my *goal* is basically just get a job that isn't shitty [and maybe make up the sunk cost of my previous schooling (yes i know what sunk cost is, that's why i sort of made a joke phrasing it like that)]. but i don't really even know, cause it's hard to imagine myself getting a real job ever due to my shitty self esteem, or something.

@**** this is week 1, this has absolutely nothing to do with programming and i have no fucking idea why they were asking it. the question was 'what was a time you had poor work ethic and what could you do to fix that'. there were a few coding questions after this
ah yes, i went back to community college at 29 so i was very rusty at maths math maths in which i'm already not very confident (i've learned to stop saying i'm bad at it as some excuse to not work at it) and got put in remedial classes that didn't even count for anything. we did similar frivolous crap assignments in a lot of my classes, too. i def appreciated the teachers who had higher expectations and didn't waste everyone's time with them.

some other assignments just insulted me. one english teacher has us go home and write 5 "quotation sandwiches" which means just means correctly inserting a quote within a small paragraph. i mean, 4th grade much?

i swear sometimes the impression of community college students is that they have no fucking life skills and maybe that's true for some, but kids in 4-year universities aren't paragons of intelligence and social skills either.

and y0 maybe this is just me, but let's leave high school in high school. 'hence' made me chuckle th0

*technically you can never recover or "make up" a sunk cost

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 10-27-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #482
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
taking a little community college programming course just to brush up on my skillz
Quote:
i'm not really taking anything right now.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #483
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
when one replies to disco king on netphoria

Old 10-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #484
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Holy shit, I got bodied

Old 10-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #485
cork_soaker
full of longing

simply a friendly elbow in the rib

Old 10-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #486
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i meant i'm not in a serious degree path or anything

~

we have to do little discussion posts and write replies and they're insultingly pointless and dumb. like i'm writing the stupidest fucking replies [i am hanging a breaking ball here...]

Old 10-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #487
yo soy el mejor

regardless of the path, you said you were taking a course and then that you weren't taking anything so i was all like

discussion posts and replies for online courses are just in lieu of in-class participation. they're dumb, but what makes them dumber is when people don't put in any effort and then you gotta scroll and scroll or wait until another day to find something worth responding to.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 10-27-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #488
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I didn't have too many discussion forums when I was in, but there was one *honors* US history since 1945 (which oddly spent most of its time on WW2) about Japenese internment camps and one person was literally like "It may seem harsh but they were just trying to keep people safe and I don't think it was a mistake."

Say what now?

Old 10-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #489
yo soy el mejor

i've only had them for online courses, but everything is an online course now.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 11-16-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #490
Ram27
dumb

i am back at school

it's destroying my mental health and self esteem.

i fucking hate being judged. i am so fucking sick of it. i get the worst fucking emotional flashbacks whenever i have an exam or submit an assignment -- it reminds me of my first time thru college, when i thought killing myself because i couldn't figure out [some fucking dipshit-ass coding project] would be better than disappointing my parents

yeah i know silver spoon who cares

i hope i get hit by a car. my legs are amputated. i'm mostly paralyzed. i can move my fingers fractions of an inch. i die of sepsis on christmas eve.

it'll be fitting.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #491
FoolofaTook

sounds like you need some self-love!

Old 10-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #492
FoolofaTook

https://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=188676

Old 10-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #493
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i am back at school

it's destroying my mental health and self esteem.

i fucking hate being judged. i am so fucking sick of it. i get the worst fucking emotional flashbacks whenever i have an exam or submit an assignment -- it reminds me of my first time thru college, when i thought killing myself because i couldn't figure out [some fucking dipshit-ass coding project] would be better than disappointing my parents

yeah i know silver spoon who cares

i hope i get hit by a car. my legs are amputated. i'm mostly paralyzed. i can move my fingers fractions of an inch. i die of sepsis on christmas eve.

it'll be fitting.
Like, literally just being evaluated elicits distress?

Have you talked to your therapist about that? Sounds like the kind of obstacle that would make life very, very hard.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:15 PM   #494
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I started my master's this year. Currently trying to mark ~100 essays. I have no idea how to mark efficiently and quickly, because at this rate, students will never get their work back, and I won't have time to do the readings for my own goddamn classes.

Seriously, it takes me, like, half an hour to an hour just to mark one essay. And then after two or three, I get tired and wanna do something else. This isn't sustainable.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #495
FoolofaTook

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
This isn't sustainable.

Neither is your dad's erection.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #496
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I started my master's this year. Currently trying to mark ~100 essays. I have no idea how to mark efficiently and quickly, because at this rate, students will never get their work back, and I won't have time to do the readings for my own goddamn classes.

Seriously, it takes me, like, half an hour to an hour just to mark one essay. And then after two or three, I get tired and wanna do something else. This isn't sustainable.
you started your degree and got a teacher's assistant job right off the baseball bat?

baller!

Old 10-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #497
yo soy el mejor

i just finished my MPPA program at the end of august with a 3.8 gpa (fuck off, my old gpa from when i first attempted school in my early 20s was a 1.9 and i raised that shit up to a 3.7 when i finally went back to finish my BA). looking for work is bullcrap, but i'm not totally dejected yet. i'm not throwing resumes all over the place because i did not go back to school to just get ANY job, so i understand it might take time since i am being picky by wanting to avoid overtly corporate (or covertly disingenuous) workplaces + basic unconscious/conscious bias still exists in hiring practices, y0. i've got an interview tomorrow with a community youth arts center run by a pastor in a predominately Mexican and Black neighborhood right outside mine, but it's just an interview.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:10 AM   #498
Ram27
dumb

took a multiple choice exam online and my professor chose to hide the scores until some arbitrary time. FUCKING WHY JUST TELL ME

THE MACHINE KNOWS MY FATE. HIT ME IN THE MOUTH WITH IT

Old 10-28-2021, 04:03 AM   #499
yo soy el mejor

you so baby

Old 10-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #500
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Attending college is white privilege and inherently fascist, frankly

Old 10-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #501
yo soy el mejor

it is not white privilege for first-generation students who get by on loans and grants and who feel compelled to try harder than the privileged dudes and dudettes whose lives are waiting for them regardless of how or what they do, but it is rampant. not so much at community college, tho, if u can imagine.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #502
yo soy el mejor

lol @ "my professor chose to hide the scores"

Old 10-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #503
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
it is not white privilege for first-generation students who get by on loans and grants
LOL, sure, anyone can get approved for loans and grants, everyone has access to an adequate education system to earn the grades for college, anyone can afford to live without working full-time, anyone can afford the prospect of a future full of massive debt

You're just a scrappy little underdog in the game of life, born in the muck but pulling yourself up by your bootstraps

Old 10-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #504
yo soy el mejor

see, privileged white people with major liquidity don't understand nothin' 'bout nothin'

Old 10-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #505
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

I'm unclear if you mean "Somehow none of the privileges you listed apply to me, and I have not been bragging about willingly taking a job that pays $25k less than another opportunity because having an extra $25K each year would be inconsequential to my current lifestyle, and also you clearly have a lot of money (???)" or "See, you get it, and you and I have zero privilege, and rich white folk are oblivious," but either way, again, LOL

Also, the pursuit of knowledge is ableist

Old 10-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #506
yo soy el mejor

only rich people put money ahead of all else. i don't have to have an extra 25k lying around to take a job that pays significantly less but would still provide a living wage, which i've never had before. and i'll be glad to not have to work two PT jobs while going to school ever again. get y0 rich honkie ass out my face, bruh.

and pardon me for reading books and having a big fat curious brain

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 10-28-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #507
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

"Only rich people would take a slightly less desirable job to provide an extra $25k for their family" is certainly a take

So, to be clear, living below the paycheck-to-paycheck level and aspiring to get to that level, and being able to by attending college: not privileged; living at that level and aspiring to get anywhere above it: privileged, indicates I'm rich

Being able to read is passing as white

Old 11-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #508
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

i remember i used to come on here in college and complain about my roommate and then-girlfriend all the time! That was over 10 years ago and, in turn, makes me want to die!!! such fun!!

Old 11-03-2021, 05:06 PM   #509
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I feel you. Also can't believe I graduated college 10 years ago next month.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:37 PM   #510
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I’ve gone back to do yet more study and I’m trying to decide if the stress is actually worth it now that I’m working full time and trying to parent two teenagers as well

I might quit. Because I certainly do not seem able of keeping calm

Keeping awake is also a challenge