Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Andy /

Default Bonnaroo 2007 Initial Artist Announcement

2007 BONNAROO ARTIST LINEUP:

The Police · Tool · Widespread Panic · The White Stripes · Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals · Wilco · The Flaming Lips · Manu Chao · The String Cheese Incident · Franz Ferdinand · Bob Weir & Ratdog · Damien Rice · Ween · Gov't Mule · Ziggy Marley · The Decemberists · Kings of Leon · Michael Franti & Spearhead · Wolfmother · Regina Spektor · The Black Keys · Galactic · DJ Shadow · Gillian Welch · Spoon · Keller Williams (WMD's) · Sasha & John Digweed · STS9 · Old Crow Medicine Show · The Hold Steady · North Mississippi Allstars · Fountains Of Wayne · Hot Tuna · Feist · Hot Chip · John Butler Trio · Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys · Aesop Rock · The Richard Thompson Band · Dierks Bentley · Xavier Rudd · Gogol Bordello · Junior Brown · Tortoise · T-Bone Burnett · Mavis Staples · Clutch · Cold War Kids · Dr. Dog · Paolo Nutini · Brazilian Girls · RX Bandits · The Nightwatchman · The Slip · Girl Talk · Railroad Earth · Martha Wainwright · Rodrigo y Gabriela · Annuals · Tea Leaf Green · Sam Roberts Band · Elvis Perkins in Dearland · Charlie Louvin · Sonya Kitchell · Mute Math · Apollo Sunshine · Uncle Earl · James Blood Ulmer · The National · The Little Ones · Black Angels · Ryan Shaw

Lewis Black & Friends · David Cross · Dave Attell

----

Ones in bold are bands that I will definitely try to see. I hope Ween has another late night set. Lots of bands I was introduced to in the last year are here, too, so I'm excited to see those groups. I couldn't care less about Tool, really, but it will be nice to see the Police in this environment. I don't think I'd pay exorbitant amounts to see them on their own, so this is a good alternative.

It's not a super-solid lineup, especially the headliners, but it already has enough people I'm interested in to make it worth going

Last edited by Andy / : 02-16-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

i dont' think there's any lineup that could get me to go to bonnaroo, much less pay to go.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Andy /

why?

Old 02-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
redbull
Immortal

jesus christ, thats tasty looking. too bad my dad won't let me go.

also, this probably means a Manu Chao US tour between Coachella and Bonnaroo.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
redbull
Immortal

always have to steal my kisses from you

Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Return of the White Stripes eh? From what I hear that Raconteurs were great live but the album was largely disappointing. I'm been hankering for a new WS record as Get Behind Me Satan also wasn't nearly as good as I think it could have been.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
KrazeeStacee

Red face

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really can't even believe my eyes...we were upset because we wanted to go to Wakarusa because Asylum Street Spankers were playing there and we didn't want to go back to Wakarusa because of the whole police thing...

Holy crap.

Band's I'm excited to see:

Tool (holy crap Tool is at Bonnaroo)
Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals (yay!)
The Flaming Lips (yay!)
Ween (YAY!!!)
Ziggy Marley
DJ Shadow (OMGGG)
Old Crow Medicine Show
North Mississippi Allstars
Fountains Of Wayne
Aesop Rock (omg)

Lewis Black & Friends
David Cross (OMG!)

Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
KrazeeStacee

So, needless to say we're buying tickets on the 23rd. We'll see you there Ryan!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Fuck I missed Ween on my initial scan of things. That is worth the price of admission right there.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Andy /

Ween's late night set in 04 was a highlight of that Roo.

You'd think DJ Shadow almost HAS to have a late night slot this year. That will be fucking awesome.

And Stacy, fuck yeah!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
djm5101
Pledge

eh weakest lineup in a while...widespread panic will be great as usual

Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
redbull
Immortal

let me guess, not enough jambands?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
KrazeeStacee

Bonnaroo isn't a jamband festival anymore, it wasn't last year and it kinda wasn't the year before that. But whatever, it's evolving for the better as far as I can see and there's still plenty of awesome jamband fests out there.

Plus Bonnaroo just has such awesome other shit too, like I saw last year they had a ferris wheel?! How cool. In 05 they had a playground there with swings and monkey bars, it was pretty fun - never thought I'd go to a playground tripping.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
KrazeeStacee

I'm just really crossing my fingers for no schedule conflicts. I know there's going to be at least one painful one - and I have a feeling it'll be Tool vs. The Flaming Lips. Man that would suck

Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #15
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash
why?
location?
number of attendees?
the fact that in most cases with these festivals i can see full sets in a smaller setting for less hassle (and a lot of times less money -- obviously the police (who i don't want to see) don't fall into that category).

i've been to coachella and i've been to acl. i likely wouldn't go back to either of those and i seriously doubt i'd go to any other similar festival.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #16
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
2007 BONNAROO ARTIST LINEUP:

· Tool · Widespread Panic · Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals · Wilco · The Flaming Lips · The String Cheese Incident · Franz Ferdinand · Bob Weir & Ratdog · Ween · Gov't Mule · The Decemberists · Kings of Leon · Michael Franti & Spearhead · Wolfmother · Regina Spektor · The Black Keys · Galactic · DJ Shadow · Gillian Welch · Spoon · Keller Williams (WMD's) · Sasha & John Digweed · STS9 · The Hold Steady · North Mississippi Allstars · Fountains Of Wayne · Hot Tuna · Feist · Hot Chip · John Butler Trio · Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys · Aesop Rock · The Richard Thompson Band · Dierks Bentley · Xavier Rudd · Gogol Bordello · Junior Brown · Tortoise · T-Bone Burnett · Mavis Staples · Clutch · Cold War Kids · Dr. Dog · Paolo Nutini · Brazilian Girls · RX Bandits · The Nightwatchman · The Slip · Girl Talk · Martha Wainwright · Rodrigo y Gabriela · Annuals · Tea Leaf Green · Sam Roberts Band · Elvis Perkins in Dearland · Charlie Louvin · Sonya Kitchell · Mute Math · Apollo Sunshine · Uncle Earl · The National · The Little Ones · Black Angels · Ryan Shaw

David Cross

----

It's not a super-solid lineup, especially the headliners, but it already has enough people I'm interested in to make it worth going

Old 02-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #17
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
Originally Posted by distance
location?
number of attendees?
the fact that in most cases with these festivals i can see full sets in a smaller setting for less hassle (and a lot of times less money -- obviously the police (who i don't want to see) don't fall into that category).

i've been to coachella and i've been to acl. i likely wouldn't go back to either of those and i seriously doubt i'd go to any other similar festival.
Yeah but it's a camping festival and the crowd, although huge, is generally a cool crowd.

I hate that people compare Coachella and Bonnaroo a lot, they're not the same - although Bonnaroo is way commercial now and has a lot of similar bands...Bonnaroo is an experience with more than just lots of awesome music.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #18
Shapan
Socialphobic

man, great lineup.

first coachella has their ace lineup and now this initial bonaroo lineup is solid too. i cant remember ATP's lineup but i think it was good, festivals have been good this year.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
redbull
Immortal

which ATP

Old 02-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #20
Shapan
Socialphobic

oh i meant the upcoming all tomorrow's parties in london and the atp vs the fans one. in london they have a few concerts actually instead of like a weekend that im accustomed to it looks like(im not 100% sure on this, i just checked it out now). in may it features deerhoof, modest mouse, akron/family, comets on fire, and built to spill. thats some good shit there, and band of horses will be playing too but i dont like them. the shins and explosions in the sky in march.

theres another one in april in butlins, near glastonbury, thats featuring a bunch of european bands im guessing because i dont recognize many of them. thats actually a three day festival, nick cave and joanna newsom are playing.

then theres ATP vs. the fans and i think thats in the same venue, and that lineup is voted by the fans. that lineup is also ace, a few of the aforementioned as well as sparklehorse, do make say think, grizzly bear, isis, and a few others voted in by the fans but im not sure if they're confirmed.

man, i didnt know ATP were holding so many events until now. this is great stuff, thank god we have coachella otherwise id be seething with envy.

Last edited by Shapan : 02-14-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #21
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

wow. good lineup imo.

could be a real fun 4 days. quite a contrast to the hit-or-miss, industry-soaked, hotel-stay experience of sxsw.

much better lineup than coachella.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #22
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Red face

That's fucking hot. If we weren't already committed to go on tour with another band this year, I'd so be up for that.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #23
KrazeeStacee

Whew!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #24
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeStacee
Plus Bonnaroo just has such awesome other shit too, like I saw last year they had a ferris wheel?! How cool. In 05 they had a playground there with swings and monkey bars, it was pretty fun - never thought I'd go to a playground tripping.

They took the playground away last year?! I mean, a ferris wheel is cool and all, but the playground was the shit. Sitting on one of the towers with a bunch of friends while on E and taking in everything that was going on was one of my favorite memories.

They better have the playground this year.

Also, I wouldnb't worry about Tool vs. anyone. Tool's a headliner. No one else plays during a headliner set. If the Lips don't get a late night set, I'd bet they'd get the main stage slot just prior to the headliner, from 5:30 to 7:00 or whatever.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #25
Andy /

Quote:
location?
number of attendees?

eh, to each their own. *I* think you're denying yourself a generally positive experience... but I suspect that, given your attitude about it here, I don't think anything would make you happy even if you went.

Roo far exceeded my expectations for a festival. As much fun as Lollapalooza in Chicago has been for me these last two years, it just can't compare to Bonnaroo. At Roo, everything is so laid back. Nobody bothers you. There's music almost 24/7. They show movies, they have comedy shows, there's a playground! Silent discos! Late night DJ sets. Camping. They do everything they can to make the experience a positive one, if you're willing to let it be.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #26
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeStacee
Yeah but it's a camping festival and the crowd, although huge, is generally a cool crowd.

I hate that people compare Coachella and Bonnaroo a lot, they're not the same - although Bonnaroo is way commercial now and has a lot of similar bands...Bonnaroo is an experience with more than just lots of awesome music.
yeah. and i'm not particuarly a fan of camping.

acl and coachella aren't the same either. i was stating that i've been to more than one of the multi-day festival things. they're all really commercial now.

the crowd, along with the heat, is one of the major reasons i wouldn't go to one of these festivals again. if it were 'local' for me, maybe. if i had to travel -- probably not if i had to pay.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #27
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
eh, to each their own. *I* think you're denying yourself a generally positive experience... but I suspect that, given your attitude about it here, I don't think anything would make you happy even if you went.

Roo far exceeded my expectations for a festival. As much fun as Lollapalooza in Chicago has been for me these last two years, it just can't compare to Bonnaroo. At Roo, everything is so laid back. Nobody bothers you. There's music almost 24/7. They show movies, they have comedy shows, there's a playground! Silent discos! Late night DJ sets. Camping. They do everything they can to make the experience a positive one, if you're willing to let it be.

i'll agree with you that i doubt there would be any situation at bonnaroo or any of the other festivals that would truly make me happy, but based on the way i enjoy shows and such, i don't think i'm denying myself a generally positive experience.

i've been to festivals where there were only a few acts playing that i wanted to see (no conflicts) and i've been to ones where there were a lot where i was forced to make a lot of decisions/miss parts of sets.

i don't like being around 50k+ intoxicated, annoying, smelly people. that's not singling out bonnaroo for that. they're all like that.

also with this year's lineup, the only stuff i want to see i have already seen and could see outside of the festival in a smaller venue with a longer set for a total of less money than the cost of a bonnaroo ticket + other associated fees of going.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #28
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
They took the playground away last year?! I mean, a ferris wheel is cool and all, but the playground was the shit. Sitting on one of the towers with a bunch of friends while on E and taking in everything that was going on was one of my favorite memories.

They better have the playground this year.

Also, I wouldnb't worry about Tool vs. anyone. Tool's a headliner. No one else plays during a headliner set. If the Lips don't get a late night set, I'd bet they'd get the main stage slot just prior to the headliner, from 5:30 to 7:00 or whatever.
Oh I don't know, we didn't go last year - we went to Waka. But I hope they would have both...the playground was fun, I would've been there on E but I had this reaction to immediately throw up as soon as I swallowed the pill - so I was just tripping. But we hung out there after seeing RJD2 I think and Mark asked me for a cigarette! lol cuz he likes to smoke when he's on E. Oh memories.

Yeah that's what I figured, and hoped. Man if The Flaming Lips play just before Tool on the same stage (is that possible at Bonnaroo? I forget, at Waka they just have 2 stages and 2 headliners at the same time so it's a lil different and it's been a while since Roo)...but oh god if it's The Lips then Tool, I might shit myself - I'd probably have to get there really early and sit and wait...eat some acid...and watch the best show I've ever seen in my entire life.

Someone was like oh man think of all the wookies with their brains being bashed, cooked, and smashed while they've got a head full of acid watching Tool.

Tool fans and hippies definitely need to converge. (Is that the right word? I don't even care to look it up right now)

Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #29
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
yeah. and i'm not particuarly a fan of camping.

acl and coachella aren't the same either. i was stating that i've been to more than one of the multi-day festival things. they're all really commercial now.

the crowd, along with the heat, is one of the major reasons i wouldn't go to one of these festivals again. if it were 'local' for me, maybe. if i had to travel -- probably not if i had to pay.
Yeah see that's the point of Bonnaroo, the camping. And I hate that it's brought more of the people who don't like or know how to camp into the festival because there's just so many idiots there (no offense to you)...when we went there were these kids from IL next to us and they were like no older than 19...they didn't know how to set up their tent, there was 5 of them. They didn't bring a grill or any real food. We ended up making pork chops one night on the grill and gave them 2 of them since we weren't going to eat them and they looked pretty hungry. I don't mind helping people out and teaching them things, cuz I know it's rough sometimes and you can forget shit and make mistakes...but uh, when there's half of a crowd of 90K people that don't know what the fuck they're doing, it makes for some rough times and kinda takes away from the atmosphere. The best part is the camping, well I like it all but the camping rocks my socks.

My goal every year is to have a better and better campsite each year.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #30
KrazeeStacee

I mean I'm a big wimp when it comes to a lot of shit and I thought I was going to have a rough time out there camping and using portopotties and the heat...sunburn...bugs...bathing...it really seemed like I was going to hate it. But I went with an open mind and had the time of my life, first time camping, first festival I'd ever been to...and even Mark said I was a trooper. I did have a situation with my sandals breaking on day 1, but the next year I learned from that mistake and brought like 5 pairs. Last year was the year my feet got sun poisoning but now I know to keep a lot more sunscreen on and bring some socks and regular shoes just in case I need to cover them up.

The fun you have at festivals far outweighs any of the bad shit that could possibly happen to you (for the most part), that you can easily overlook the few shitty parts here and there.

The heat is bad but that's why you dress for it - wear big floppy hats to work as shade, bring sunscreen, spray bottles for misting yourself w/water, carry a water bottle with you everywhere.

Plus I just love being all secluded in this little community that's full of awesome, caring people (mostly) and having to "live off the land" sorta - every day is just like you wake up, eat, get ready and head off to shop and listen to music, dance and play, maybe take some drugs...and when you're finally totally worn out all you have to do is stumble back to your campsite and pass out. Once the sun goes down the heat isn't an issue and the party really begins. Oh yeah.

God damn I'll stop rambling sorry I'm just so excited and there's still 119 days left.

Last edited by KrazeeStacee : 02-15-2007 at 04:52 PM.