Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #31
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajohna View Post
Would ripping MII again with whatever tools available today be much of an improvement over what's been out there since 2000?
absolutely not

the album was hastily mixed/mastered and its going to sounds like that no matter what. can't remember where i read/heard it - but most of the machina 2 songs are rough takes with maybe only one hasty overdub added if anything

Old 04-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

Both of the machina albums i put into a category of albums that practically need to be listened to with headphones. concerning M2, you can really crawl inside the space created with a decent set of headphones and a hi-quality rip. If anything, it's a really fucking good demo tape, a bit more polished than a rehearsal tape would be.

even though it is presented as an album, these tracks are very much a homemade affair. i think a lot of people forget that aspect. it's a bedroom concept album made of demos b-sides and rehearsal tapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chards of glass
July 15, 2000 - Recording Studio...Chicago, IL -- buried deep inside some altar of noize I write to you a desperate man...my star is fading and I do not know what to do...I stare at the track sheets and wonder where the magic went...I feel it all crashing down upon me...oh woe is i...how are you?...I am sure by now that you have deciphered all the deep alchemical codes of machina and have now moved on to some 8th generation alt-rap-metal hybrid bands new disc and are peering deep into the meanings there too...shit! I had it all so planned out and curses I have been foiled...I guess all those things they said about us and especially yours truly bill/glass/zero/jackboot7 are true...I can't tell you how sad this makes me...to compensate I have written a batch of songs so sad they are almost happy if you know what I mean...isn't the planet supposed to end with all this millenial paranoia...but wait there is a light...and maybe even a plan or too...must finish machina soon or will perish like tangerines...takus carus allus ovus youse...xo

July 17, 2000 - Making Music In Chicago -- happy to report that there are some 10-14 tracks that are in some sort of shape or another...it's sometimes hard to jog the memory of what we were thinking or doing at any given moment because some of these songs haven't been worked on in over a year...but now is the right time because after the band splits it is not the kind of thing you want to try to finish in 10 years or so when we go ahead and put out that penultimate box set...so we blow the dust off the guitars and tune up rusty strings and try to make some more emotionless music...er, I mean heartfelt and deep music that is obviously emotional...what else do you want to know...I can tell you that if you want to solve a puzzle you must first understand the point of the puzzle...so what is the point of this puzzle...to confuse? enlighten? enrage? or just titillate...or could it just be for fun, because to save one's soul you must first learn how to laugh...please understand that I am laughing, not at you, but with you, and I certainly am laughing at myself, so please put your hearts together and laugh with me...I put a little sunshine here between the cracks so you can see that you are inside a box...I of course am trapped in the box you stare at and cannot leave...admission is free to all those that are...(drumroll please)...free!...oh and another thing or two...please check out pumpkins radio which has been carefully collected to draw you deeper...there is also another chapter of the friends and enemies of modern music featuring glass and the machines of god floating around in space somewhere and I will try to wrench it out to you soon...I know you just cannot wait! with the same baited breath that I had when I cared, er or when I dared, or shall I say when I was wuzing my way across the crossings...tracks laid bare for all to laugh at...so you see it really is all a joke, but the joke is not on you or me but probably them, I suppose...but I can't say for sure...till then s. r.'s...
xo

July 25 2000 - chi-town mojo blues-haze -- with only a limited time remaining, the tapes are still flying...some tapes are in such poor condition that we are cooking 'em up in the oven, but hey the music is still cool...the sun is shining outside but the florescent lights almost do the trick, plus we have the orgone meters set to full so we look almost real...soon we start gearing up for the summersalt tour in canada dry, and I suppose we might actually rehearse for a change so get your signs requesting towers of rabble and soma ready cause we can still read...after that comes the taping of vh-1 storytellers which of course will be full of lies because no one certainly knows what these songs are about, certainly not the singer...we have begun to prepare for the storytellers by finishing the much rumored jack-o-lantern suite, almost 8 1/2 years in the making...the story of the writing of the suite could probably take up the entire hour of the program, between telling the story of meeting the indian sage, the missoula mystic, and the tuscaloosa titan in the barrelhouse barn and finding a rusty guitar in a corner...my fingers just bled until I found the right notes, but I'll save all that for the taping...hope to see you there...

July 27 2000 - in a world war 2 bunker -- tick-tock the rumours are flying flick-flack but who knows the windpipe cracked and that nobody gives a rat's ass piddle-dum-tweedle-see I told you but nobody would listen all you hear is a lot of wishin soot-soot-beedle-bum and now I'm down in the land of swan song and world war gunners reading racy novels to kill the time-time gotta keep it off my mind-mind so let the games begin or did they already start-start to become annoying boy you gotta-getta a problem mister but I am queer as a 5 legged steer-fear-seer says the fisherman just fishin for wishes and pretty girls da-da-dum-dum it's just that all my wishes are not yours but many of yours are mine but it's all good-good-good smiles from ear to ear don't get lost in the maze of haze and purple smoke cause it's a psychadelic shack of love and muzak hold your breath it's comiing soon but not how you imagine in june-june did somebody say it was july?...poppa ow mow mow (look it up!)...xo

Old 04-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #33
slunken
Virgo

dude was totally on ice

Old 04-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #34
bunny
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
The Agnew rip was 3% too fast apparently.
I know
I'm pretty sure I'm the one who came up with that number.
and don't forget the tilda when stating my fact.
~3%

Old 04-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #35
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

4 realz

blue skiez bring tearz

Old 04-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #36
bunny
Demi-God

that's an embarrassing typa

Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #37
Shallowed
Braindead

Unfortunately no one has heard how they're really supposed to sound, because they were meant to be played at 45rpm, not 33rpm.

So much faster and grittier

Old 04-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #38
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Unfortunately no one has heard how they're really supposed to sound, because they were meant to be played at 45rpm, not 33rpm.

So much faster and grittier

Vocals by Billy the Chipmunk?

Old 04-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #39
Shallowed
Braindead

you know it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Punk_Cover.jpg

Old 04-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #40
bunny
Demi-God

the reference calculation was done with Real Love from the Greatest hits digital version

Old 04-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #41
slunken
Virgo

shallowed should know better that 3% is hardly enough to even pitch the vocals a little

Old 04-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #42
Shallowed
Braindead

It definitely sounds slightly higher pitched. 3% pitch change is a quarter tone difference.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #43
vajohna
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoz View Post
The keyboard on "Try" makes me seasick. Can't wait for a non-vinyl sourced version.
The non-vinyl sourced version of Try is on the Untitled CD single, right?

Old 04-12-2015, 02:59 AM   #44
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i most definitely notice the 3% pitch change. it drives me crazy, can't listen to it.

what's stranger is, i hear this all the time when i watch shows on tv that feature songs i know.
i always tried to figure out why this happens but i'm not sure how to look for the answer

Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 AM   #45

Agnew version fucking sucked

Q101 any day

Old 04-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #46
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Why is there no 24/96 version? Surely someone with one of the original vinyls could get it done on a top quality turntable and converted to 24/96 for our listening pleasure?

Old 04-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #47
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i most definitely notice the 3% pitch change. it drives me crazy, can't listen to it.

what's stranger is, i hear this all the time when i watch shows on tv that feature songs i know.
i always tried to figure out why this happens but i'm not sure how to look for the answer
Do you mean old song that are taken from vinyl?

Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #48
iPumpkin
Ownz

Quote:
Why is there no 24/96 version? Surely someone with one of the original vinyls could get it done on a top quality turntable and converted to 24/96 for our listening pleasure?
No one gives a shit anymore. One popped on eBay a few years ago but BC shut it down.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #49
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajohna View Post
The non-vinyl sourced version of Try is on the Untitled CD single, right?
Why thank you. I missed that single, I don't like "Untitled" which I have on the Greatest Hits anyway. I should have paid more attention to the b-sides (which i usually do). My bad.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #50

I never thought commercial Machina was that bad. Misunderstood, yes, but nowhere near as bad as people claim it to be. Some great stuff on there.

Machina II sound quality-wise goes down just the way it's meant to: a dying final broadcast from a fire that once raged out of control. Then the wheels started falling off and the band was free-falling into fickle obscurity.

It's also the last truly great thing Corgan's done, and probably forever will be. I hope if he does re-issue it, it outsells everything he's done since.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #51
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:

Simple answer they speed up shows to get more commercials in. I notice it when a prime-time show like Mythbusters is played in daytime slot, makes me feel like I"m losing my mind. The first time I even noticed this was the night after a Boris concert and I thought I had totally destroyed my lower frequency hearing because suddenly voices sounded higher pitched to me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-for...play-more-ads/

Old 04-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #52
redbull
Immortal

Quote:

NTSC > PAL conversion maybe

Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #53
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPumpkin View Post
No one gives a shit anymore. One popped on eBay a few years ago but BC shut it down.
Actually Monte just vaguely threatened the person and they freaked out and pulled it.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #54
bunny
Demi-God

Quote:
I think agnew (could have been another owner) had offered to do a 2496 rip a few years back
but he wanted the community to buy him a laser type record player so the record wouldn't be damaged.
Seeing as how only 25 copies were made, there's probably no metal master and each one was cut individually - like a test print. this makes them less robust and more likely to wear.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:40 AM   #55
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
NTSC > PAL conversion maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Simple answer they speed up shows to get more commercials in. I notice it when a prime-time show like Mythbusters is played in daytime slot, makes me feel like I"m losing my mind. The first time I even noticed this was the night after a Boris concert and I thought I had totally destroyed my lower frequency hearing because suddenly voices sounded higher pitched to me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-for...play-more-ads/
these are both pretty good explanations

Rider, what you posted was really interesting but for example the other day I was watching Armageddon when it came on TV (i was vulnerable, dont judge me!) and the aerosmith song was insanely higher pitched. and there were no commercials. maybe it is that conversion then. or perhaps a combination of the two, which speeds it up even more

Old 04-13-2015, 01:52 AM   #56
Shallowed
Braindead

Maybe it was the epic key change?

Old 04-13-2015, 01:56 AM   #57
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

http://i61.tinypic.com/1zefczb.jpg

Old 04-13-2015, 02:40 AM   #58
Shallowed
Braindead

http://i.imgur.com/QPo2Hl9.gif

Old 04-13-2015, 02:51 AM   #59
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
I think agnew (could have been another owner) had offered to do a 2496 rip a few years back
but he wanted the community to buy him a laser type record player so the record wouldn't be damaged.
Seeing as how only 25 copies were made, there's probably no metal master and each one was cut individually - like a test print. this makes them less robust and more likely to wear.
A laser recorder wouldnt produce as good quality sound would it?

Old 04-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
a laser type record player
what is this laser type record player you speak of? Is it expensive?