Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default Nas - Illmatic

I know I'm literally 20 years late to this, but hip-hop never appealed aesthetically, so w/e. I had to give it a listen because as of late I've been hearing "he recorded that album when he was nineteen. nineteen."

Listened to it today for the first time. He did this album when he was 19? Holy shit. So fucking good.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I think I may just be too old at this point to learn to understand or appreciate hip-hop as a music form. it's probably my biggest failure on my musical sojourn.... I just don't really understand hip-hop music.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Bread Regal
Banned

paging trotskilicious

Old 05-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I think I may just be too old at this point to learn to understand or appreciate hip-hop as a music form. it's probably my biggest failure on my musical sojourn.... I just don't really understand hip-hop music.
a common thread of all hip hip that mas made a positive impression on me (Grandmaster Flash, Tupac, Immortal Technique, et al) is that it's essentially protest music. perhaps i'm more open to it lately since i've grown more aware of the futility of class struggle.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Bread Regal
Banned

Although I've always kind of thought white people's characterization of hip-hop as being mostly about bling and bitches is borderline racist.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
MusicMan4

1. this is a hip-hop song. maybe outkast? easy enough to listen to but I can't really do hip hop. unfortunately I think I may just be too old at this point to learn to understand or appreciate it as a music form. it's probably my biggest failure on my musical sojourn.... I just don't really understand rap music.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
MusicMan4

i think it's definitely racist to complain about "bling" but there is a lot of gross misogyny and homophobia in rap....i mean have you seen the comments on youtube lately? if i was gay i'd think all the rappers hate me
but i'm not gay just to be clear
mom told me i like pussy since i was 5 even though i also like to draw

Old 05-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
MusicMan4

i actually never listened to this
i was a square for most of the 90s
like any good alternative white i was really into check your head and ill communication and of course i threw in 36 chambers so you would know i was also down w/ the brothers
i did have an obsession w/ fugees the score as well
by the time i started downloading a ton of rap music on the internet i think nas had just put out 'made you look' which i liked a lot but i never bothered to download his big classic because at that point i was already into reasonable doubt and the blueprint and was squarely on jay-z's side

Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
Order 66
Socialphobic

go on

Old 05-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
MusicMan4

no

Old 05-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Yeah, myself I listened to late 80's early 90's party rap/hiphop (Young Mc, digital underground, stuff like that) when i was 12 and some actually good rap by accident like Public Enemy, KRS-one (ok why can't I remember his band name right now) and such. Since then I have never listened to a full rap or hip hop record though i'm not stupid enough to think most of it is just about gangstas and hos. It just doesn't appeal to me in any way, even the more intelligent kind. None of it has me as target demographic anyway as it of course shouldn't.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
MusicMan4

Kid Rock Bawitdaba Woodstock 99 Must See!!!

Old 05-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8Lk7-UkV9B...-dice-clay.jpg

"my black friend liked that one"

Old 05-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I can't even say that, I never had a black friend. Not even a token one. It's one of my greatest failure in my social sojourn.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I was ten years late to it and enjoyed it...it's been a while though

Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
MusicMan4

nas won the battle w/ jay-z because he had awesome lines like

"fuck gay z"

and something like "you rocafella cause you rock fellas"

i mean that is clearly just straight fire
ether indeed

Old 05-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
I know I'm literally 20 years late to this, but hip-hop never appealed aesthetically, so w/e. I had to give it a listen because as of late I've been hearing "he recorded that album when he was nineteen. nineteen."

Listened to it today for the first time. He did this album when he was 19? Holy shit. So fucking good.
I KNOW RIGHT

Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
Although I've always kind of thought white people's characterization of hip-hop as being mostly about bling and bitches is borderline racist.
it is, there's some rappers it applies to of course but you know

next up for you my friend is some of that wu tang 36 chambers of death nah mean and then you gotta go for some liquid swords, some of that only built 4 cuban linx nah mean and then you gotta get some of that ghostface

FISHSCALE

Old 05-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
i actually never listened to this
i was a square for most of the 90s
like any good alternative white i was really into check your head and ill communication and of course i threw in 36 chambers so you would know i was also down w/ the brothers
i did have an obsession w/ fugees the score as well
by the time i started downloading a ton of rap music on the internet i think nas had just put out 'made you look' which i liked a lot but i never bothered to download his big classic because at that point i was already into reasonable doubt and the blueprint and was squarely on jay-z's side
wow what a confession. you still haven't heard illmatic? fuck you casey

Old 05-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I'm 34 and still listen to it all.