Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #121
slunken
Virgo

Arrow

MIXX REVIEW

1. When this starts out I think its going to be Primitive Radio Gods "Standing in a Phone Booth..." for some strange reason. I like the horns and dislike the "together together together" part.

2. I like the vocal melody and the simplicity of the arrangement. The lyric "i'm never going to tell on you" is particularly touching because i have a history of not publicly supporting my lovers. also the rest of the lyrics remind me of modest mouse. i'm a sucker for ballads. I really like this.

3. I feel like I know this but maybe it was from a past life. A life before coffee. This is good early in the morning because it's hazy and mumbley enough but uptempo.

4. I'm a snot about music like this. If this were 60 or more years older we could talk.

5. I dated a girl that liked stuff like this, but I find it to be too middle of the road. Too manufactured and overdone. This guy is just begging me to hate him, while my g/f falls in love with him. The punkier ending was unexpected.

6. This song is pretty good too. I wish I was on someone's mind and somebody felt this way about me. Songs like this remind of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, which is a really sad song if you think about it.

7. This song reminds me of the show "scrubs". It has that tv soundtrack vibe to it. I usually like staircasing instruments (piano/guitar/violin/bass) but not here.

8. I like the lead guitar melody line in this. Overall it just makes me feel out of touch.

9. This song is more my style. It has the trifecta: reverb - buried vocals - simplicity. This is a good space to exist in, as opposed to having lyrics carry me through something.

10. cool, another bittersweet song sung by a female. i love this one too. This sounds like never getting out of bed and it smells like stretched out clothes. I laff everytime because I think she's saying "my heart needs a lapdance". Really great song though.

11. This song makes me feel like a dick. It's like I do everything wrong and will continue to do so. I take music like this too personally. It makes me feel like I'm in a movie and this is the pivotal moment.

12. I feel like I should know this but I'm horrible with this kind of stuff. It gets pretty epic halfway through and then I have no clue who it is.

13. This is super-epic. This is that one guy from Texas that sounds like MBV isn't it? Or it's probably just MBV. Pretty sweet tones.

14. I hate this chorus. Give me abstraction. I do like the overall vocal delivery and cool-brit style.

15. This is another TV Soundtrack song. This one might be Gilmore Girls. Pure filler.

16. The drumming is ace on this. I bet these girls are really good live. The vocals seem restrained though, in this mix.

17. I bet this band has all kinds of babes hanging around them. I really hope the one singer is a girl and the lyrics "they're lifting off - let god command me - and stand beside me" made me want them to be a Xian band. Sometimes stuff like this is fun on long drives.

18. This mix is very mad at me. More car music. It makes me think of Dave Grohl's goatee. I like the vocal deliver of the word "desecrated".

19. Silence at the end with another track I can see. I don't know what this song was I can only focus on the what's clearly coming up.

20. I always space out on this track so it must be good.

I'm the sort of person who can listen to anything so overall I really enjoyed this. There were only a couple of spots where songs didn't mix well for me and I didn't find anything totally unlistenable. I enjoy stepping out of my comfort zone. The first half, mostly ballads, is more consistent than the second, mixing shoegaze and newpunk.

The mix is heavy on acoustic ballads with bits of piano electronica and shoegaze guitars. There are at least 2 flat-out amazing songs on here. If we had started dating and you made this mix for me I would fall for you totally. Quite nicely. 3/5

Old 10-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #122
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

SHITTT sorry i am late, mix submitted.
my review.
1 - a little sterile, but genuinely pretty. lyrics are average but sung very affectingly.
2 - i bet this is junior boys. i never liked what i checked out, but that was like 3 years ago. maybe i should give em another chance, that was nice.
3 - fuckin sweet segue. the variety in the first 3 is totally my thing. this one really fuckin rules.
4 - big dance party thumbs up here. uncategorizable and unfuckwithable. this out-phoenixes phoenix?
5 - cant make out words, doesnt really stick out.
6 - pretty fun. reminds me of that awesome teenage goth band on south park.
7 - kinda feel the same about this as i do track 1.
8 - well this is different! the name of this song should be "the clouds are vocoders" not bad, but suspiciously crosses the new age line a bit i think.
9 - true 80s joy. i wanna put on a baby blue wool sweater and sunglasses. wonderful.
10 - sad alt-country dirge. nice lyrics and music, not big on the singer.
11 - wow. sounded like generic indie chick at first, then caught me off guard unfolding into a unique exotic arrangement, then changes structure like 7 times!?!? this is completely amazing. floored me.
12 - this is like video game ending music with studio reverb. listen to this close your eyes and youll see 8-bit credits (its all japanese names like 'character design by makuza homoyagi') then GAME OVER at the end. ridiculously inspired idea for a final track!

ill request albums from 3,4, 6 and 11!
man, even though i didnt dig a few of the tracks, the expert use of variety and flow compiling here makes me so happy and is really impressive. i dont have a clue what any of the artists (except track 2) are which is great.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #123
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
MIXX REVIEW

1. When this starts out I think its going to be Primitive Radio Gods "Standing in a Phone Booth..." for some strange reason. I like the horns and dislike the "together together together" part.

2. I like the vocal melody and the simplicity of the arrangement. The lyric "i'm never going to tell on you" is particularly touching because i have a history of not publicly supporting my lovers. also the rest of the lyrics remind me of modest mouse. i'm a sucker for ballads. I really like this.

3. I feel like I know this but maybe it was from a past life. A life before coffee. This is good early in the morning because it's hazy and mumbley enough but uptempo.

4. I'm a snot about music like this. If this were 60 or more years older we could talk.

5. I dated a girl that liked stuff like this, but I find it to be too middle of the road. Too manufactured and overdone. This guy is just begging me to hate him, while my g/f falls in love with him. The punkier ending was unexpected.

6. This song is pretty good too. I wish I was on someone's mind and somebody felt this way about me. Songs like this remind of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, which is a really sad song if you think about it.

7. This song reminds me of the show "scrubs". It has that tv soundtrack vibe to it. I usually like staircasing instruments (piano/guitar/violin/bass) but not here.

8. I like the lead guitar melody line in this. Overall it just makes me feel out of touch.

9. This song is more my style. It has the trifecta: reverb - buried vocals - simplicity. This is a good space to exist in, as opposed to having lyrics carry me through something.

10. cool, another bittersweet song sung by a female. i love this one too. This sounds like never getting out of bed and it smells like stretched out clothes. I laff everytime because I think she's saying "my heart needs a lapdance". Really great song though.

11. This song makes me feel like a dick. It's like I do everything wrong and will continue to do so. I take music like this too personally. It makes me feel like I'm in a movie and this is the pivotal moment.

12. I feel like I should know this but I'm horrible with this kind of stuff. It gets pretty epic halfway through and then I have no clue who it is.

13. This is super-epic. This is that one guy from Texas that sounds like MBV isn't it? Or it's probably just MBV. Pretty sweet tones.

14. I hate this chorus. Give me abstraction. I do like the overall vocal delivery and cool-brit style.

15. This is another TV Soundtrack song. This one might be Gilmore Girls. Pure filler.

16. The drumming is ace on this. I bet these girls are really good live. The vocals seem restrained though, in this mix.

17. I bet this band has all kinds of babes hanging around them. I really hope the one singer is a girl and the lyrics "they're lifting off - let god command me - and stand beside me" made me want them to be a Xian band. Sometimes stuff like this is fun on long drives.

18. This mix is very mad at me. More car music. It makes me think of Dave Grohl's goatee. I like the vocal deliver of the word "desecrated".

19. Silence at the end with another track I can see. I don't know what this song was I can only focus on the what's clearly coming up.

20. I always space out on this track so it must be good.

I'm the sort of person who can listen to anything so overall I really enjoyed this. There were only a couple of spots where songs didn't mix well for me and I didn't find anything totally unlistenable. I enjoy stepping out of my comfort zone. The first half, mostly ballads, is more consistent than the second, mixing shoegaze and newpunk.

The mix is heavy on acoustic ballads with bits of piano electronica and shoegaze guitars. There are at least 2 flat-out amazing songs on here. If we had started dating and you made this mix for me I would fall for you totally. Quite nicely. 3/5
wow. thanks for the good review. i like that you put thought into it and listened through all the songs.

01. Akron/Family - The Alps & Their Orange Evergreen
not a big fan of them, but i love this song.

02. Chris Garneau - Baby's Romance
too bad the rest of the album is bad, but you may enjoy it. different tastes and all.

03. Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Secondary Modern
I'm a recent EC convert and i love him

04. Terry & Gerry - Wolfman's Request
not sure where i picked up this song; probably some random mix cd i downloaded

05. Chamberlain - The Simple Life
i really just like the "i built this house out of a fate-driven dream" line. A LOT.

06. Xiu Xiu - Hello From Eau Claire
another band i'm not a fan of, but they do have some gems here and there

07. Alcoholic Faith Mission - Nut In Your Eye
one of my new favorite bands. i uploaded their album on my blog and one of the people from the band thanked me and told me they have a new album coming out next year.

08. Holiday Flyer - You Don't Know Me
song i downloaded during a big indie pop phase. they didn't release much music.

09. Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk - Our Girls
this is a band from lawrence, ks, who are so great live.

10. You Say Party! We Say Die! - Laura Palmer's Prom
new to this band, too.

11. The Capsules - Don't Be So Sad
kansas city band. love them. they sound like Cranes.

12. Air Formation - Cold Morning
one of my favorite new shoegaze bands

13. Ask For Joy - Summercrush
another good newer shoegaze bands

14. Adorable - Everything's Fine
b-side. love this band.

15. The Appleseed Cast - Hanging Marionette
band from lawrence, ks. amazing live.

16. Asobi Seksu - Me & Mary
<3 saw them live twice. epic each time.

17. Flee the Seen - Wardrobe Full of Fiction
now-defunct band from kansas city. they only put out 1 album and 2 eps. this is pretty much their sound. and yes, it is a chick. i believe they were "christian" in the sense of "non-denominational" and not over the top.

18. Red Tape - Stalingrad
i only know of one album they've put out. my favorite song of theirs.

19. Jellybelly - Farewell
new to this band. don't know a whole lot about them except they have two eps out.

20. Kill Hannah - Toy Soldiers For Never and Ever
one of their earlier tracks. i remember working with an old lady and she said this song was "pretty".

Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #124
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
01. Akron/Family - The Alps & Their Orange Evergreen
not a big fan of them, but i love this song.

02. Chris Garneau - Baby's Romance
too bad the rest of the album is bad, but you may enjoy it. different tastes and all.

03. Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Secondary Modern
I'm a recent EC convert and i love him

04. Terry & Gerry - Wolfman's Request
not sure where i picked up this song; probably some random mix cd i downloaded

05. Chamberlain - The Simple Life
i really just like the "i built this house out of a fate-driven dream" line. A LOT.

06. Xiu Xiu - Hello From Eau Claire
another band i'm not a fan of, but they do have some gems here and there

07. Alcoholic Faith Mission - Nut In Your Eye
one of my new favorite bands. i uploaded their album on my blog and one of the people from the band thanked me and told me they have a new album coming out next year.

08. Holiday Flyer - You Don't Know Me
song i downloaded during a big indie pop phase. they didn't release much music.

09. Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk - Our Girls
this is a band from lawrence, ks, who are so great live.

10. You Say Party! We Say Die! - Laura Palmer's Prom
new to this band, too.

11. The Capsules - Don't Be So Sad
kansas city band. love them. they sound like Cranes.

12. Air Formation - Cold Morning
one of my favorite new shoegaze bands

13. Ask For Joy - Summercrush
another good newer shoegaze bands

14. Adorable - Everything's Fine
b-side. love this band.

15. The Appleseed Cast - Hanging Marionette
band from lawrence, ks. amazing live.

16. Asobi Seksu - Me & Mary
<3 saw them live twice. epic each time.

17. Flee the Seen - Wardrobe Full of Fiction
now-defunct band from kansas city. they only put out 1 album and 2 eps. this is pretty much their sound. and yes, it is a chick. i believe they were "christian" in the sense of "non-denominational" and not over the top.

18. Red Tape - Stalingrad
i only know of one album they've put out. my favorite song of theirs.

19. Jellybelly - Farewell
new to this band. don't know a whole lot about them except they have two eps out.

20. Kill Hannah - Toy Soldiers For Never and Ever
one of their earlier tracks. i remember working with an old lady and she said this song was "pretty".
Interesting. I thought this had "girl mix" written all over it. I guess track 13 was the only one I knew. Thanks, D!

Here's a link for anyone interested: rapidshare.com/files/291213930/netfomix.rar.html

Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #125
shannon
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

still no mix

*sniff* *sniff*

Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #126
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I have received all but two mixes. I certainly hope the two douchnozzles who have not made one yet send them out soon, or else I am going to have to start sending out the bitchy PMs. Please do not make me do that.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #127
Sylvia Woods
Apocalyptic Poster

1. This is a pretty uplifting opening track. Reminds me of something that you'd find in a Tony Hawk game. Like Bad Religion but there's something more to it.

2. Fun song, I like the synth in this and that brief change up where it sounds like a showtune. Then it gets menacing.

3. Ladytron, surprised I've never heard this song in a commercial. Brings me back to when this kind of music was blowing up everywhere. Girls finally started dressing cuter around this time too.

4. The drums are cool. And the piano is too.

5. This is like one of them Modest Mouse bands. Sounds like something that can be found a Tony Hawk game too, I can just hear the beeps of the timer running down.

6. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Rob Thomas or Maroon 5.

7. I don't like Shania Twain, sorry, I had to skip this track half way through.

8. Sure hope this song picks up. Even the singer sounds like he doesn't want to be here. It gets pretty towards the end, but was it pretty enough...?

9. An America cover? Sounds better than the original, has a good Indie Folk sound.

10. This is the Drums right? I see them mentioned a lot but this is the only song I know from them. Might have to check them out if this Surf explosion hasn't become uncool yet!

11. A pretty calm song. "Doing stuff" music to have on in the background. I really like whatever's going on in the last minute though.

12. Aw, hell yes, Elliott. It's nice to hear him on this. Outtake from my least favorite album of his, which I like better than most of the released songs.

13. Kind of a typical UK Indie song, but the keyboard styling really makes it. It gets dark. Hold on, wait, what the hell just happened in the middle here?

14. Didn't really grab my attention much. I like songs LIKE this, but this one just isn't working.

15. I've heard this before, not sure what it is. Her vocals get kind of annoying and little embarrassing if anyone caught me listening to it.

16. Nick Drake is always good.

17. Was sorta bored by this at first but it really saves itself a quarter of the way in.

18. I like the sound of this a lot, but I hope it's not just the sound I'm liking. Sometimes songs benefit from lo-fi, but you have to wonder if a song like this would still be interesting with better production. Still interested to know who it is though.

19. Eh, this really reminds me, or actually might be a song a co-worker used to play with some pretty awful music all day long. The same rotation everyday. I really wanted to kill myself back then, THANKS. The organ part is a redeeming quality though.

20. I'm pretty sure this isn't Morrissey, but damn, influence is one thing, this guy should be playing in cover bands at Smiths conventions.

21. Down and drrrty right here.

22. From one of my favorite Beck albums, along with Stereopathetic Soulmanure, which both don't seem to count as official releases. Psh. Anyway, this is a good lazy closer.

What an motely crew this mix was. The songs I did know I was happy to hear because I haven't listened to them in a while. I'm sure there will be a few bands here that might make it into normal rotation for me. Overall it really feels like a mix a girl would make me around 2003/4ish of new bands she'd been listening to.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #128
Andy /

shania twain

Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #129
D.
Consume my pants.

i'll be reviewing my mix some time tonight hopefully.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #130
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

D. i want to thank you for inadvertently introducing me to Kill Hannah

Old 10-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #131
shannon
Minion of Satan

Smile

i'm very interested in finding out who my mix maker was, so i will probably post my review tomorrow

Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #132
Irridescent Fairysex
glug glug glug

me too, I've listened to my mix from beginning to end about 3 times and I really enjoyed it. The one who made it definitely has a sense of humor. I want to review it but I'm really swamped with work and my masters homework, I'll try to review it tomorrow. I just want to let my mix maker that I liked it.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #133
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel redman View Post
D. i want to thank you for inadvertently introducing me to Kill Hannah

if you need anything, let me know. they put out a lot of self-released albums/songs.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #134
shannon
Minion of Satan

this mix is wild

Old 10-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #135
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Define wild.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #136
shannon
Minion of Satan

Smile

we have a romantic on our hands, erin

the culprit is indeed a lover, and certainly not a fighter

Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #137
shannon
Minion of Satan

del

Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #138
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Thumbs up ufotofu review

clever little name for a mix btw!

so this is my third pass at the tape since i've received it and i'm gonna try to review as i listen.

1. i like the way the intro kinda sets up the whole tape. bit of a rock n roll hillbilly swagger with some seasoned heavily with some searing slidey psychedelia! the bass really drives the groove while the gat and singer wail away ... 3 piece with the singer playing gats maybe? the lines are real close. sweet track!

2. so this track has that late 60s/early 70s feel to it - flutes and sitars and organs and spy horns and bv's and hilar lyrics! wouldn't be out of place on a some kind of psychedelic vampire film from the period. awesome percussion and drums on the crescendo. epic number.

3. big band funk rock ... ska band? the drums are an unrelenting party driver. spaz out and twist the night away to this sit.

4. are big band and garage rock mutually exclusive terms? the drums are fucking massive ... it's like there are two sets of toms going. big wave surf, 60's handclaps, fuzzy gats and soaring horns. stomping party number. i bet these dudes go out with go-go girls. remind me of a melbourne band called the toot toots

5. forget the growly vocals, how about that creepy as shit harpsichord? a big loose go-go bar groove (twice!). listening to this makes feel like i'm sitting in a dirty, stinky, smoke filled strip club too drunk to see straight.

6. 60's style pop song all pretty and shimmery. this is pretty amazing musically what with the counter melodies and contra punt and such. i find it a bit plodding but relly appreciate the muscianship. need a tie-dye, a spliff and a ride in a hot-air ballon if i'm going to be listening to much more of this though.

7. KA-CHANG!! and then it turns into this big puss-wuss weep fest?! i mean the harmonies and guitar lines and drums are all great but really what on earth are these sad bastards whining about? jesus christ go out and get drunk and get laid already you arseholes. i'll tell you what they should do is stop bitching to their bros ... they're over it. great song nonetheless

8. cowabunga bitches! it's fucking lo fi and ready to go. like drunker, rougher beach boys with a bit of sneer singing to me down the telephone. what can I say aside from it makes me want to get drunk, get in a big old american convertible and drive directly into the ocean..

it's at this stage that the whole mix really sort of started to come together and make sense thematically. whoever did this should check The Tape Man from NZ if he ever plays your town. you'll love it.

9. so here's the big cavernous psychedelic jam number that's been brewing all along. the singer reminds me of jim morrison kinda. smashing pumpkins fans will get this ... i think if i was 9 years younger and still doing acid i'd probably put this on loop and listen to it for like 3 hours straight. all 16 minutes of backwards tracked gats and spaced out vocals ... just over and over.

10. i seem to be thinking surf, go-go, the 60s and spy a whole hellova lot when i listen to this tape. a whole chorus of go-go dancers with badly dyed hair wearing shiny golden dresses awkwardly wiggling their hips. goddamnit i need a beer!

11. how about this opening organ riff? i'm a bit of an afrobeat fan and once the horns hit it's like 90% of the way there and i'm hooked. this is an absolutely fantastic track. the organ riff is really great! sunday morning hung over bloody marys on my roof. i'm keen on checking this outfit out some more.

right it's 12.30 and it's lunchtime so i've gotta take a break. just over halfway through and i'm really digging the tape. it's friday here and this is setting up the weekend just nicely. i'll be back after these beers.

... and i'm back with a ringing indictment of the last track ... was humming it all the way through lunch.

12. ok so that percussion noise or whatever is real brain tickler. the wails almost sound a bit janis. gotta say this one's not doing it for me so much ... just sort of samey samey the whole way through and the hook didn't really grab me so much. i liked the harp solo and the guitar sound is real gutsy and organic, sorta rawhide in a way. other than that there's not much for me to grab onto here :/

13. a wee bit doo-wop! like the lyrical theme here ... been riffing on that a bit myself lately. audio nerd that i am i spent way too much time checking out how the instruments were panned and how the vocals sit in the mix.

14. yeeeha check that big fat chord on the intro. this is like a song that makes you want to stomp around and break shit. total chaotic hellraiser ... big, bold and bolshy. great drunken swagger that reminds me of too much time spent in divey, sticky carpeted melbourne pubs on the wrong end of a bourbon. tried to drink the trouble away but then i woke up again. the horn section was probably drunk when they recorded this. aaaaah let's fucking party!

15. turn it up indeed! the guitar here is absolutely ripping! is this a live recording? a lot of energy in the recording i reckon. who even cares what the singer is on about just fucking dance bitches. surprised if the drummer doesn't end up with a hernia within 3 years.

16. loud, brash, drity rock n roll just the way we like it. great groove on the hook and an absolute classic drum beat driving it. lyrics are a bit juvenile but i really think that with this sort of stuff it's more about the attitude than anything else. this song is like 110% attitude so win! i mean anything that makes me wanna do a jagger strut needs to be given it's due.

17. heck that bass on the intro wouldn't have been out of place on a sabbath track. the gat sounds like it was recorded at the other end of a massive hall - great fiery sound. less is more drum riffing is something i have a bit of a soft spot for, especially in rock n roll.

so this is the same band from the first track - a reprise of the same song or something? ... wicked shit. the way it breaks down at the end is sort of an exclamation mark on the whole mix. left me wanting more for sure.

Ok overall I've got to say this was a really great mix and I feel pretty privileged to have received it. I really admire the cohesiveness of it all and the general attitude it conveys. Swagger! Really made me feel like I should have spent another day on my own submission.

This would make a great radio show.

There's a massive scene for this kind of rock n roll here in Melbourne and listening to this reminds me a lot of some really amazing nights I've had since living here. In that sense you've really hit the nail on the head ... you've got me making all those positive associations.

Standout tracks were 1, 11, 14 and 17 for me

Thanks loads for your efforts in putting this together. You've set the weekend up really nicely. I'll definitely be pulling this out come the next sunny afternoon that comes my way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It was a thunderingly beautiful experience—voluptuous, sexual, dangerous, and expensive as hell."

Last edited by mercurial : 10-15-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:29 AM   #139
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Woods View Post
1. This is a pretty uplifting opening track. Reminds me of something that you'd find in a Tony Hawk game. Like Bad Religion but there's something more to it.

2. Fun song, I like the synth in this and that brief change up where it sounds like a showtune. Then it gets menacing.

3. Ladytron, surprised I've never heard this song in a commercial. Brings me back to when this kind of music was blowing up everywhere. Girls finally started dressing cuter around this time too.

4. The drums are cool. And the piano is too.

5. This is like one of them Modest Mouse bands. Sounds like something that can be found a Tony Hawk game too, I can just hear the beeps of the timer running down.

6. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Rob Thomas or Maroon 5.

7. I don't like Shania Twain, sorry, I had to skip this track half way through.

8. Sure hope this song picks up. Even the singer sounds like he doesn't want to be here. It gets pretty towards the end, but was it pretty enough...?

9. An America cover? Sounds better than the original, has a good Indie Folk sound.

10. This is the Drums right? I see them mentioned a lot but this is the only song I know from them. Might have to check them out if this Surf explosion hasn't become uncool yet!

11. A pretty calm song. "Doing stuff" music to have on in the background. I really like whatever's going on in the last minute though.

12. Aw, hell yes, Elliott. It's nice to hear him on this. Outtake from my least favorite album of his, which I like better than most of the released songs.

13. Kind of a typical UK Indie song, but the keyboard styling really makes it. It gets dark. Hold on, wait, what the hell just happened in the middle here?

14. Didn't really grab my attention much. I like songs LIKE this, but this one just isn't working.

15. I've heard this before, not sure what it is. Her vocals get kind of annoying and little embarrassing if anyone caught me listening to it.

16. Nick Drake is always good.

17. Was sorta bored by this at first but it really saves itself a quarter of the way in.

18. I like the sound of this a lot, but I hope it's not just the sound I'm liking. Sometimes songs benefit from lo-fi, but you have to wonder if a song like this would still be interesting with better production. Still interested to know who it is though.

19. Eh, this really reminds me, or actually might be a song a co-worker used to play with some pretty awful music all day long. The same rotation everyday. I really wanted to kill myself back then, THANKS. The organ part is a redeeming quality though.

20. I'm pretty sure this isn't Morrissey, but damn, influence is one thing, this guy should be playing in cover bands at Smiths conventions.

21. Down and drrrty right here.

22. From one of my favorite Beck albums, along with Stereopathetic Soulmanure, which both don't seem to count as official releases. Psh. Anyway, this is a good lazy closer.

What an motely crew this mix was. The songs I did know I was happy to hear because I haven't listened to them in a while. I'm sure there will be a few bands here that might make it into normal rotation for me. Overall it really feels like a mix a girl would make me around 2003/4ish of new bands she'd been listening to.
01. Weballergy by Sonata Arctica from Silence
this almost didn't make the mix. my girlfriend played this for me some months ago and i laughed and laughed at it. then i grew on me. kind of a guilty pleasure cause i usually hate this kind of stuff. needs to be listened at max volume.

02. Vulture by Micachu from Jewellery
from my favorite album of the year.

03. Seventeen by Ladytron from Light & Magic
04. I'm Afraid Of 'Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolfe?' by Murder By Death from Like The Exorcist, But More Breakdancing
05. Busted Heart by Bishop Allen from Charm School
06. Gin And Money by Marcy Playground from Leaving Wonderland... In A Fit Of Rage
07. Get Him Back by Fiona Apple from Extraordinary Machine (Original Unreleased Version)
shania twain?

08. Radio Cure by Wilco from Yankee Foxtrot Hotel
09. I Need You by Grandaddy from Sumday Demos
lol... i actually didn't know that this was a cover.

10. Let's Go Surfing by The Drums from Summertime!
11. One Night Stand by Carissa's Wierd from Ugly But Honest
12. Brand New Game by Elliott Smith from (unreleased)
might be my favorite unreleased E. Smith song.
13. Song For Haku by The Seal Cub Clubbing Club from Super Science Fiction
14. B.S.A. by The Brian Jonestown Massacre from Take It From The Man!
15. For Lenny's Own Pleasure by Joy Zipper from The Heartlight Set
there other stuff is different, and maybe better, sometimes the guy sings, but this is the song that made me want to listen to them. Joy Zipper's one of the best bands i've heard of this year that aren't really new.

16. Hanging On A Star by Nick Drake from Made To Love Magic
17. I Wish by Graham Coxon from The Sky Is Too High
18. What's That Noise? by Running Monk from Ocean & Liaison
hehe... this is actually my band. i was curious as to what someone would say about it if i slipped it in. i think the lofi production does help. it's taken from an album we made where all songs were improvisations and we're recorded on a 4-track cassette recoreder.

19. Hey My Darlin' by HOMiE from Lifetaker And Runners Present HOMiE Vol. 1
this is taken from an album that two weezer boardies made. it contains songs that Rivers Cuomo played live while he was at Harvard in '97. all songs are unreleased. i thought this was a fun tune.

20. Everyone Says I'm Paranoid by Apartment from The Dreamer Evasive
My favorite newish band. The whole album is fantastic.

21. Guess I'm Falling In Love by The Velvet Underground from Another View
22. Outcome by Beck from One Foot In The Grave
i think we have to two same favorite Beck albums.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

i didn't really look into what kind of tunes you liked and just made a mix of songs that were new to me since the last mix and some nice older songs. i'm glad you at least liked some of it. if there's anything specific you'd like me to upload i should be able to do it for ya!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:26 AM   #140
Shapan
Socialphobic

fiona apple is pissed right now

Old 10-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #141
Sylvia Woods
Apocalyptic Poster

haha, my girlfriend walked by and asked if I was listening to Shania Twain. I knew it probably wasn't her, but thought it was funny anyway.

Anyway, Deuce, your song is really good stuff. It sounds like something I would actively look for to listen to. I only mentioned the thing about production because when comparing it to everything else on the mix, I wondered if it was just some regular band doing their "lo-fi thing". what's your myspace?

I still have that Drums song stuck in my head, I would've asked for that album, but I already found a link.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #142
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Woods View Post
Anyway, Deuce, your song is really good stuff. It sounds like something I would actively look for to listen to. I only mentioned the thing about production because when comparing it to everything else on the mix, I wondered if it was just some regular band doing their "lo-fi thing". what's your myspace?
Running Monk on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

the whole album, Ocean & Liaison is up on there. all 10 tracks. keep in mind though, that it's just me and my bass player (sometimes drummer) recording. we didn't do any overdubbing or anything. all the chord progressions, melodies, lyrics, everything were improvised with the intent of recording a rock song of some sort on the spot in one take. it's not the greatest thing in the world, but i'm proud of it for what it is. give it a listen if you like. i'll make it downloadable. thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed What's The Noise?. it's probably my favorite of the bunch.

we are planning to head into the studio by the end of the year to record an ep or album of the songs that we've actually been playing live and working on for the last year. i'm really, really excited about that.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #143
Andy /

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
clever little name for a mix btw!
Booya, motherfucker.

1. Entrance - Grim Reaper Blues (4:29)
2. King Khan & The Shrines - I See Lights (4:10)
3. Chooglin' - Do It-To It (2:24)
4. Dark Meat - Well Fuck You Then (3:40)
5. The Mothers Of Invention - Why Don'tcha Do Me Right? (2:37)
6. 13th Floor Elevators - Splash 1 (3:56)
7. The Bees (U.K) - These Are The Ghosts (3:09)
8. Condo Fucks - Shut Down (1:48)
9. The Black Angels - Snake In The Grass (16:13)
10. Condo Fucks - Shut Down Part 2 (2:06)
11. The Bees (U.K) - Got To Let Go (5:17)
12. 13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me (2:31)
13. The Mothers Of Invention - Any Way The Wind Blows (2:55)
14. Dark Meat - One More Trip (3:45)
15. Chooglin' - Cool Eyed Woman (3:41)
16. King Khan & The Shrines - Torture (3:07)
17. The Entrance Band - Grim Reaper Blues (Pt. 2) (6:43)

TAGGED version:
Code:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zmrw30
I made you a palindromic mix, hence ufo tofu.

The centerpiece Black Angels song is a palindromic song, and gave me the idea for the mix. I tried giving you a hint by putting the similar first and last tracks on here. I also liked the hint the Condo Fucks (Yo La Tengo) sandwich gave because of the 1234 and 9876 countdowns that start each track.

I'm glad you liked it. I think it could have been better if I put more time and thought into it but as it was I didn't start making it until just before the deadline, so I kinda screwed you there.

Entrance is the band Paz Lenchantin is now in, and I think they're fucking great. Chooglin' is a local Minneapolis band. The Bees are called A Band Of Bees here in the states, so if you look them up, there may be some confusion.

thanks for the great review, bitch!

Last edited by Andy / : 10-16-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #144
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

That's a pretty neat idea for a mix.

The Bees (U.K) = A Band of Bees, right?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #145
Andy /

figure i may as well address some things you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
the bass really drives the groove while the gat and singer wail away ... 3 piece with the singer playing gats maybe?
as i said, bass is Paz, and yes it's a three piece band who rock the fuck out of the shit they play.

Quote:
12. ok so that percussion noise or whatever is real brain tickler.
The 13th Floor Elevators' Tommy Hall used an "electric jug". It's one of the things you can immediately hear and know it's an Elevators song.

Quote:
13. a wee bit doo-wop! like the lyrical theme here ... been riffing on that a bit myself lately. audio nerd that i am i spent way too much time checking out how the instruments were panned and how the vocals sit in the mix.
Zappa, man.

Quote:
15. turn it up indeed! the guitar here is absolutely ripping! is this a live recording? a lot of energy in the recording i reckon.
Yes, it is live. Two of my friends actually are on the album cover, which was a pastiche of polaroids taken of concert goers.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #146
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
Entrance is the band Paz Lenchantin is now in, and I think they're fucking great.
Saw them open for Sonic Youth and she was a sight to behold. the band was pretty solid as well.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #147
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale blue eyes View Post
The Bees (U.K) = A Band of Bees, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
The Bees are called A Band Of Bees here in the states, so if you look them up, there may be some confusion.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #148
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Sorry, missed that obviously.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #149
Andy /

obv!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #150
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I got distracted by the tracklist once I got to the part where you said it was palindromic.

Since I am here: All but one of you has sent me a mix. I will give that person until the end of the weekend to contact me with either a link to a mix or a timeframe for when it will be completed. If neither of the two happen, I will out them.

Otherwise, keep the reviews coming!