Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 PM   #451
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
You got a guy playing rhythm acoustic guitar in those situations. Totally different ball of wax.

Bottom line for the reunion is one of the guys is going to have to be relegated to the rhythm guitar role. If that ends up being Jeff it's a none-story, but I have a feeling it won't be the case.

It could very possibly be Billy who takes the backseat, and that would be a massive shame.
Thom is not playing acoustic on the bends or weird fishes.. and the acoustic on paranoid is a bit more upfront then just a backing rhythm track.. depends on the part. you're like pulling stuff out of your ass now to save face. weird fishes is a pretty complicated part, arranged so that the 3 guitars sound like 1, basically, and it's glorious.

also the zwan thing.. very few situations where a guy was just regulated to rhythm. actually, i would even argue in some cases having someone play straight rhythm would over complicate the sound, so the 3 guitar parts would be more intricate, interwoven, etc etc. but that ll depends on the song. plenty of songs in the SP cannon that would sound FABULOUS with 3 live guitars. PLENTY.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:41 PM   #452
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I've seen them 3 times with Jeff and Billy already took a backseat. Jeff's guitar was louder and he took most of the leads which was disappointing.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #453
paranoid
Minion of Satan

other songs tho yorke plays electric with jonny and ed and is not significantly turned down.. My iron lung, planet telex, airbag, electioneering, lucky, the tourist, bodysnatchers, the list goes on and on and on.

and actually it's sometimes harder to mix an acoustic with two electrics on top. but radiohead does that well too.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #454
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Be a Pisces. Jam.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 PM   #455
Shallowed
Braindead

How did Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Sonic Youth, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers EVER manage with three guitarists? It just can't be done.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #456
Shallowed
Braindead

The guy who played in a band called Monkey Piss knows best.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #457
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

You forgot the best one: BORIS WITH MICHIO KURIHARA

Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 PM   #458
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Thom is not playing acoustic on the bends or weird fishes.. and the acoustic on paranoid is a bit more upfront then just a backing rhythm track.. depends on the part. you're like pulling stuff out of your ass now to save face. weird fishes is a pretty complicated part, arranged so that the 3 guitars sound like 1, basically, and it's glorious.

also the zwan thing.. very few situations where a guy was just regulated to rhythm. actually, i would even argue in some cases having someone play straight rhythm would over complicate the sound, so the 3 guitar parts would be more intricate, interwoven, etc etc. but that ll depends on the song. plenty of songs in the SP cannon that would sound FABULOUS with 3 live guitars. PLENTY.
Are you talking about a live setting when discussing Radiohead? Because I am.

In Zwan the sound would become muddied...On the TV broadcasts were they do the mixing afterwards There'd always be one guitarist who was less prominent then the others. (I don't care enough about Zwan to know who plays what guitar parts live)

Hey man, if they can figure it out, that would be cool. But I'm typically not a fan of Jeff's playing anyways.

We do have evidence though of the James/Jeff/Billy guitar dynamics at work and like what Glass mentioned above, it was Billy who took the back seat... So that's definitely not a good sign regarding your hopes that the 3 guitars will be perfectly balanced.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 PM   #459
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
How did Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Sonic Youth, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers EVER manage with three guitarists? It just can't be done.
radiohead and co - look where that shit approach got them...lololol

Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 PM   #460
FoolofaTook

There's a live Evilone Which Sobs that starts out with ten minutes of three droning ebows.

Senescence.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:50 PM   #461
redbreegull

Quote:
and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Old 02-08-2018, 11:51 PM   #462
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
There is always one prominent rhythm guitarist in those bands and the metal groups do the harmonizing leads which simplifies things.

My point is that one of Billy, Jeff or James is going to have to take a back-seat role in comparison from what we've seen them play in the past...

I don't know why that's so controversial. Seems like common sense to me in a 3 guitar rendition of the Smashing Pumpkins live.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #463
redbreegull

and the eagles, parliament funkadelic, the beatles?

Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #464
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

common sense is stfu and deliver your battle track, how about that. you can't talk down to a bunch of people who actually aren't total dumbfucks when it comes to music because you released secondraterejects on myspace, how is that so hard to get.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #465
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Are you talking about a live setting when discussing Radiohead? Because I am.

In Zwan the sound would become muddied...On the TV broadcasts were they do the mixing afterwards There'd always be one guitarist who was less prominent then the others. (I don't care enough about Zwan to know who plays what guitar parts live)

Hey man, if they can figure it out, that would be cool. But I'm typically not a fan of Jeff's playing anyways.

We do have evidence though of the James/Jeff/Billy guitar dynamics at work and like what Glass mentioned above, it was Billy who took the back seat... So that's definitely not a good sign regarding your hopes that the 3 guitars will be perfectly balanced.
yeah i am talking about live radiohead. I've seen them a handful of times. no idea where you're getting this from

there are tv broadcasts with SP as a two guitar band that sound muddied and shitty. tv is a bad measure.

i have no hopes about any of this but this argument is kinda silly and your "hey I'm a musician i know what i'm talking about" boasting is kind of obnoxious and without a strong supporting argument. sorry.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #466
Shallowed
Braindead

Parliament/Funkadelic, The Travelling Wilburys, Blue Oyster Cult, The Eagles, Isis, fuzzy's beloved Bad Religion....

Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #467
redbreegull

blue oyster cult

Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #468
pavementtune

what were the "strongest" live Iha tracks in the 90s? I seriously forgot, but those are probably going to be part of the setlist, right?

2016 LA gigs with James had these

Quote:
Mayonaise
Soma
Rocket
Spaceboy
Today
Whir
Disarm
Amarinthe

Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #469
redbreegull

BOC!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files...bum-Photo-.jpg

Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #470
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
what were the "strongest" live Iha tracks in the 90s? I seriously forgot, but those are probably going to be part of the setlist, right?
anything with an ebow, really. he has a spotlight rhythm part on mayonnaise (oh so back seat).

really he just played second tier to billy most of the time. and his guitar was usually lower in the mix. so basically he'll do the same thing he did before he'll just have jeff hanging out with him too.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #471
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
There is always one prominent rhythm guitarist in those bands and the metal groups do the harmonizing leads which simplifies things.
Quote:
The guy who played in a band called Monkey Piss knows best.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #472
paranoid
Minion of Satan

JAMES HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BACKSEAT GUITARIST.

except Dross. his part on that was dope as fuck.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #473
fuzzyroes
Banned

One thing is for sure... If it's Billy and James, you can't fuck that up live... You'd know what you're gonna get, and what you're gonna get is good...

There's every opportunity for them to fuck it up by trying something new with Jeff playing a role that only god and the guys know what it will be.

And you guys are making all these assumptions, but we actually have live material with Billy, James and Jeff, and one guitarist clearly takes a back seat on that material... So I mean, that's a clear fact.. You guys are the one making conjectures now. But it's good to see everyone so optimistic that they're gonna pull this off so awesomely

Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #474
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
JAMES HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BACKSEAT GUITARIST.

except Dross. his part on that was dope as fuck.
James always handled the leads when B0lly sings.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #475
redbreegull

a lot of what James did live was sort of more "orchestral" than straight rhythm guitar. I expect he will be doing the same here.

really there are enough guitar parts in these songs for 3 to work, and these guys are all pretty good musicians. I think it's gonna be ok fuzzy :/

Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #476
Shallowed
Braindead

Why did they ever even bother with D'arcy I mean she took a back seat 100% of the time

Old 02-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #477
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm not even saying that it's gonna suck. I'm simply pointing out why it might suck to have Jeff involved. If Jeff knows his role, it'll be fine... But if he continues on in the same role + James then it totally downplays any importance to the sound that James would have otherwise brought.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 AM   #478
paranoid
Minion of Satan

you're the one making a LOT of assumptions here. you're whole thread was based on an assumption.

And James Jeff and Billy in 2016? fuck dude.. that was an acoustic gig that he dropped in last minute, for what, 2 or three nights? given that, he was pretty upfront on Mayo, Spaceboy, Today.. what else did they play? His part during Whir was also perfectly sublime and was the one performance that night that reminded me most of that classic pumpkins sound.. or that classic dynamic between billy and james. and jeff even took a solo at the end of that song! twas very, very nice.. i loved it.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #479
fuzzyroes
Banned

Slash could have joined GnR with the other 3 guitarists and it likely would have been cool too... But when fans go to these reunion things, they wanna see the old dynamics at work

That's a big point you guys are missing.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #480
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
I'm not even saying that it's gonna suck.
https://i.imgur.com/9bJM0gQ.png