Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #31
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I've never been ageist but it seems to be the way that most of my favourite bands that are still going have nothing new to say when they reach a certain age, and end up with fruitless nods to the "current musical landscape" or they try and recreate their prime but look a bit sad in the attempt.

I don't mean to generalize (there are always exceptions) but it's what I see. I'm not a successful artist or anything, but I like to write poetry, lyrics, melodies, raps, because I enjoy it, and I hate to think all my creativity will be burned up by the time I hit 40 or even before.

Last edited by Elijah Moon : 10-24-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #32
Kahlo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrentis View Post
no they are very popular
Yep, amongst jocks, rugby types and other thick cunts. A band for bros, bro.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #33
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Feels like a British version of the Black Keys. Two arrogant pretentious jackasses in their mid 30s
Uh, what?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #34
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Yep, amongst jocks, rugby types and other thick cunts. A band for bros, bro.
Fuckin knew it. Usually the same group of thickies that like to be condescending about merica

Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #35
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Moon View Post
I've never been ageist but it seems to be the way that most of my favourite bands that are still going have nothing new to say when they reach a certain age, and end up with fruitless nods to the "current musical landscape" or they try and recreate their prime but look a bit sad in the attempt.

I don't mean to generalize (there are always exceptions) but it's what I see. I'm not a successful artist or anything, but I like to write poetry, lyrics, melodies, raps, because I enjoy it, and I hate to think all my creativity will be burned up by the time I hit 40 or even before.
Solo artists that are only 'big' after decades of toil seem to have the best chance of being good after 40. Leonard cohen nick cave michael gira etc

Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #36
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
"Smashing Pumpkins. How sad is that?" is a fair comment to be made in 2014. He just said what just about everyone's thinking. Especially if they remember Billy from his hay day.

I'd also like to point out that Kasabian are a way better band than SP2 or SP3 or whatever.

I'm sure you'll shit all over it just out of principle, but as far as alt rock goes, they know what they're doing. And they are a huge band in the UK and probably elsewhere in Europe as well.

Here's their latest single just for the hell of it. Not nearly as memorable as "Being Beige", but they can't all be winners, can they. Ugh.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...640_SY720_.jpg

Old 10-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #37
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Those layers

Old 10-25-2014, 01:58 AM   #38
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy loves his stripes

Old 10-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #39
Kahlo

Have Kasabian done anything interesting since Club Foot? Didn't that shit come out a decade ago?

LIVIN IN THE PASS

Old 10-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #40
Kahlo

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
Fuckin knew it. Usually the same group of thickies that like to be condescending about merica
FUCKIN YANKS. To be fair if one is informed about 'Murica then they should be allowed to be condescending about it. What I hate is the ones that come up to the Highlands and treat it like their own personal playground. FUCKING SCOTTY.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #41
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
i liked this
had some kind of ian brown thing going for it

Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #42
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
FUCKIN YANKS. To be fair if one is informed about 'Murica then they should be allowed to be condescending about it. What I hate is the ones that come up to the Highlands and treat it like their own personal playground. FUCKING SCOTTY.
Well sure, but thinking kasabian is too smart for americans to get is super funny

Old 10-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #43
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Moon View Post

Music industry is the most ageist of all. Well at least "rock" in particular.We think a once successful musician in his 40's is sad, now think about a never successful musician in his 40's. the general attitude is "man, give it up already". Why? because they're doing something they enjoy? Writers don't get that kind of judgment. In fact its generally considered the older you are, the better you probably write. Visual artists, painters, age doesn't matter shit. Actors...typically seen as an ageist industry, for women more yeah though i think that's changing a little, for men, not so, it's just a change of roles.

I used to think Keith Richards was sad..now i think..why the fuck not? Sure Rolling stones have lost relevance but so what, that's what they do, what they've always done, why should they have to give it up? Besides, what is relevant anymore? everything is rehashed. We see a 20 years old doing i don't know, 80's hair metal you think nothing of it, like oh it's a revival thing, they're trying to recontextualize it. You see a 50 years old doing it you think "granpa still thinks he's relevant, how pathetic" (though i suppose in hair metal case since it was often about partying hard..yeah it's a bit incongruous to see older men doing it)

i don't care about Billy's music now because i just don't like it, whether the music itself is relevant, is "of the time" or the fact that he's 47 years old matters jack shit.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #44
Elphenor
Braindead

Rock is an art for young people. When you reach a certain age it's time to become a writer or to get into jazz depending on what type of artist you are. i.e. if you were solely a guitar player, it's time to play Jazz or straight Blues, but if you were a lyric writer and vocalist, it's time to write a book or do spoken word art

Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #45
Elphenor
Braindead

Like, I don't like Nick Cave's solo music, but I liked the book he wrote and the spoken word thing he did with it.

I don't like Jello-O Biafra's new band, but I dig listening to his spoken word art and hearing his opinions on things.

Edit: Acoustic tours are also acceptable for old singer songwriters

Old 10-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #46
F.Delacroix
Demi-God

wtf am i reading

Old 10-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #47
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
had some kind of ian brown thing going for it
Holy shit! I thought the same thing lol

Old 10-26-2014, 02:58 AM   #48
null123
Minion of Satan

It annoys me when some dipshit nme band insults billy and gets support for it cause to me Billy is like the real deal, like I don't wanna say musical genius but he is born to make music and in spite of not liking a lot of his recent output I still respect him as a real artist.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:00 AM   #49
Trotskilicious
Banned

kasabian will be homeless at some point, bill will still be cashing checks for tonight tonight

Old 10-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #50
null123
Minion of Satan

The only reason I can sleep at night

Old 10-26-2014, 03:08 AM   #51
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
It annoys me when some dipshit nme band insults billy and gets support for it cause to me Billy is like the real deal, like I don't wanna say musical genius but he is born to make music and in spite of not liking a lot of his recent output I still respect him as a real artist.
He's a narcissist and once I realized that I lost a lot of respect for him.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:11 AM   #52
null123
Minion of Satan

Billy isnt even 1/3 as self centered as you are

Old 10-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #53
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I'm somewhat spoiled and selfish but I'm an only child. I don't really have as many narcissistic traits as he does.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #54
null123
Minion of Satan

Be quiet

Old 10-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #55
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

narcissism in rock music

what a concept!

Old 10-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #56
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Hip hop is for young people. Rock isn't really youth music to the extent that hip hop is. I would say rock is more for bohemians or outsider types.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #57
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I would say rock is more for bohemians or outsider types.
Wut?

Old 10-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #58
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
narcissism in rock music

what a concept!

I know, its pretty much the only way to succeed. Though i do think bolly took it a little far. It's like there's narcissists and then...

The thing is he denies it as ar as ai know. See for example bono is a twat, but bono HAS actually been on record saying he's got delusions of grandeur, he's megalomaniac, he has to get attention etc. So he's self aware. It doesn't change the way he behaves but he at least has a sense of humor about himself. Bolly has none of that.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #59
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I think it appeals more to bohemians than other types of music. Not saying you have to be a bohemian to play it or appreciate it though.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #60
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

No, you have to be deaf.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 10-26-2014 at 12:21 PM.