Minion of Satan

http://i.imgur.com/SbFy2ug.jpg?1

Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #93
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 09-06-2017, 04:30 AM   #94
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Abba is definitely songwriting gold, to me. They have a very interesting history as a group - it isn't surprising that the chemistry between the four of them, at that time in their lives, inspired the amount of songs that it did. I think they're similar to Queen in the sense that they explored a lot of different compositional styles for songwriting.

The chorus is kind of a bust but the verses of Fernando are like A++ 100%, to me.

I only know about Abba because my mother loved them and I often had to watch her greatest hits video while I was waiting in line for our one family VCR so I could watch viephoria.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 AM   #95
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

nice post

what i love about Abba is how brainy and clever their particular brand of pop was. definitely not unlike Queen. i think i heard once, although i was unable to verify it on with quick google search, that Abba consciously made an effort to blend in a memorable element, phrase, or line once every 5/10 seconds in their songs.

when you look at their output as a band through that lens, it's kind of a "whoa" moment because you realize they really DO do (heh heh heh -beavis) that. listen to Dancing Queen! that opening line, then those memorable quick piano sixteenths, then a vocal, then clever orchestral motifs to round out/fill out the holes between the vocal lines, then that chorus... etc etc. that song is so mournful and so joyous at the same time. not many people can do that. beautiful, lovely songwriting.

another great example for their complex-yet-memorable songwriting that i like is Thank You For The Music. i mean jeeze when you listen to it it's so out there for a pop song, it's almost avant garde in that respect. but it just works. haunted piano intro, almost freestyle first verse, swiftly morphing between keys, then it goes on to deliver a great chorus that is both memorable and musically interesting, and so on and so forth. i wish i could speak through music like these guys found their own voice.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #96
Shallowed
Braindead

great, now I have Dancing Queen stuck in my head

Old 09-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #97
Cool As Ice Cream

and fuzzy goes "shop, shop, shop, money in the bank, fellaz"

Old 09-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #98
yo soy el mejor

abba rules and shut up fuzzy.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #99
FoolofaTook

I like Kylie Minogue. I just can't get her out of my head.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #100
Cool As Ice Cream

la la la

Old 09-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #101
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

lololo

Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #102
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Anyone else feel like Coogan should play Joel Osteen in a biopic/parody?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #103
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

http://i.imgur.com/SbFy2ug.jpg
http://www.ocregister.com/wp-content...t91avho.10.jpg

Old 09-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #104
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
does anybody know what the hell fuzzy's talking about?

no?

neither does the internet

http://i67.tinypic.com/2m3kck8.jpg
Wait, when did we become Googleable again?

Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #105
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
i kinda miss how people used to look like, you know, actual real people in music videos

Yeah me too. If you're a pop star with any imperfections nowadays then it's straight under the knife they go.

Just look at Lady GaGa

http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-co...dy-gaga-25.jpg

https://www.marcjacobsbeauty.com/on/...aSuperBowl.jpg

Old 09-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #106
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Anyone else feel like Coogan should play Joel Osteen in a biopic/parody?
this is a catherine wheel thread

YOU ARE CATHERINE WHEEL

AREN'T YOU

AREN'T YOU!!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #107
fuzzyroes
Banned

Me and Joel Osteen have the same hair-cut

Old 09-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #108
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
nice post

what i love about Abba is how brainy and clever their particular brand of pop was. definitely not unlike Queen. i think i heard once, although i was unable to verify it on with quick google search, that Abba consciously made an effort to blend in a memorable element, phrase, or line once every 5/10 seconds in their songs.

when you look at their output as a band through that lens, it's kind of a "whoa" moment because you realize they really DO do (heh heh heh -beavis) that. listen to Dancing Queen! that opening line, then those memorable quick piano sixteenths, then a vocal, then clever orchestral motifs to round out/fill out the holes between the vocal lines, then that chorus... etc etc. that song is so mournful and so joyous at the same time. not many people can do that. beautiful, lovely songwriting.

another great example for their complex-yet-memorable songwriting that i like is Thank You For The Music. i mean jeeze when you listen to it it's so out there for a pop song, it's almost avant garde in that respect. but it just works. haunted piano intro, almost freestyle first verse, swiftly morphing between keys, then it goes on to deliver a great chorus that is both memorable and musically interesting, and so on and so forth. i wish i could speak through music like these guys found their own voice.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were that ambitious. I know that the guys used to write on a tiny island where they each had tiny shacks. I think hat helped. No distractions, no internet or anything. And they'd all experienced success and failure before they met each other. So they understood that taking a risk on something and having it fail was just part of the package. That's a big part of it I reckon. Being happy to own your mistakes and go full retard and just see what happens - standing by your work. It takes a kind of narrow-mindedness that is hard to manufacture.

They had so much scorn poured on them from all sides, too. They were creating this pop songwriting gold when everybody told them over and over again that their output was shitty cultural cringe crap. I'm thankful they ignored the h8ters

Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #109
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Yeaahhhh I'm kinda thinking it's a given that ABBA didn't have internet access in their heyday.

All ribbing aside, I think you are spot on. Sometimes I wonder how much I could accomplish if I just shed myself of all these petty, empty distractions.

*shrugs*

Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #110
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Are you posting in character as Christopher or is this you speaking?

Old 09-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #111
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
this is a catherine wheel thread

YOU ARE CATHERINE WHEEL

AREN'T YOU

AREN'T YOU!!
Yeah right, like Cathy could ever come up with an idea that fucking brilliant. I mean, come on.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #112
redbreegull

Old 09-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #113
yo soy el mejor

more like Ready For Shit?

Old 09-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #114
FoolofaTook

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
JOEL OSTEEN AND I

CHRIST ON A CROSS

Old 09-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #115
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
JOEL OSTEEN AND I

CHRIST ON A CROSS
But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman

Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #116
fuzzyroes
Banned

man, that's such unflattering album cover. What's she even trying to go for with that look? It's not even hipster.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #117
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It's no Ogilala, that's for sure.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:08 AM   #118
vixnix
Socialphobic

I guess she's done very well from playing it safe with her image, heavy eye makeup to enlarge the naturally small eyes she has, side fringe to mask the large forehead, high volume hair to slim her naturally broad face, clothes chosen to minimize her height and size and make her look small.

So given that she seems curious and willing to try new things in front of an audience, she's put out an image of herself lacking all of those alterations. This is what she would look like if she was Tay-Tay from the trailer park. I actually think she looks more beautiful there than she does in most of her other pictures. There's less of a mask. It's more interesting.

It wouldn't surprise me if young guys weren't into it, though.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:11 AM   #119
vixnix
Socialphobic

I really like the new song, too. It reminds me a lot of 'it's Britney, bitch' and I loved that album too.

I enjoy it when the last bits of innocence and good fortune roll away from the starlet and all you're left with is whatever piss and vinegar was there in the first place.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #120
Elphenor
Braindead

She looks beautiful in that picture wtf just like she does in any picture she's unreal attractive