Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Starla

Lightbulb Rolling Psychology chat, serious and thoughful contributions

Any thoughts on Freud's psychosexual stages of development? Do you feel that they apply to you personally in some way?

0-2 Oral Mouth: sucking, biting, swallowing Weaning away from mother's breast

2-4 Anal Anus: defecating or retaining faeces Toilet training

4-5 Phallic Genitals Oedipus (boys), Electra (girls)

6 to puberty Latency Sexual urges sublimated into sports and hobbies. Same-sex friends also help avoid sexual feelings.

puberty onward Genital Physical sexual changes reawaken repressed needs.

Direct sexual feelings towards others lead to sexual gratification - social rules

Example:

Oral fixation

Oral fixation has two possible outcomes.

The Oral receptive personality is preoccupied with eating/drinking and reduces tension through oral activity such as eating, drinking, smoking, biting nails. They are generally passive, needy and sensitive to rejection. They will easily 'swallow' other people's ideas.
The Oral aggressive personality is hostile and verbally abusive to others, using mouth-based aggression.

Anal fixation

Anal fixation, which may be caused by too much punishment during toilet training, has two possible outcomes.

The Anal retentive personality is stingy, with a compulsive seeking of order and tidiness. The person is generally stubborn and perfectionist.
The Anal expulsive personality is an opposite of the Anal retentive personality, and has a lack of self control, being generally messy and careless

Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

girl, you're crazy.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

ain't no science

Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I think there's a lot to say for the actual stages, but the reasoning that he uses doesn't hold up much. I like Erikson's stages much better - they seem to be more accurate and thorough and focus on the outcomes of nuturance vs apathy and/or abuse and not on sex/gender and "complexes".

Infancy (birth to 18 months) - Trust vs. Mistrust
Children develop a sense of trust when caregivers provide reliabilty, care, and affection. A lack of this will lead to mistrust.

Early Childhood (2 to 3 years) - Autonomy vs. Shame and Doubt
Children need to develop a sense of personal control over physical skills and a sense of independence. Success leads to feelings of autonomy, failure results in feelings of shame and doubt.

Preschool (3 to 5 years) - Initiative vs. Guilt
Children need to begin asserting control and power over the environment. Success in this stage leads to a sense of purpose. Children who try to exert too much power experience disapproval, resulting in a sense of guilt.

School Age (6 to 11 years) - Industry vs. Inferiority
Children need to cope with new social and academic demands. Success leads to a sense of competence, while failure results in feelings of inferiority.

Adolescence (12 to 18 years) - Identity vs. Role Confusion Social Relationships Teens need to develop a sense of self and personal identity. Success leads to an ability to stay true to yourself, while failure leads to role confusion and a weak sense of self.

Yound Adulthood (19 to 40 years) - Intimacy vs. Isolation
Young adults need to form intimate, loving relationships with other people. Success leads to strong relationships, while failure results in loneliness and isolation.

Middle Adulthood (40 to 65 years) - Generativity vs. Stagnation
Adults need to create or nurture things that will outlast them, often by having children or creating a positive change that benefits other people. Success leads to feelings of usefulness and accomplishment, while failure results in shallow involvement in the world.

Maturity (65 to death) - Ego Integrity vs. Despair
Older adults need to look back on life and feel a sense of fulfillment. Success at this stage leads to feelings of wisdom, while failure results in regret, bitterness, and despair.

I can see how these stages apply to my life as I learn to trust and become more autonomous and less guilty. And I can see how my adolescent years were extremely fucked up and lead to a ton of identity confusion and how as I develop my own sense of self I'll be able to engage in relationships that were impossible while I was/am still going through all the childhood and adolescent phases.

What do you think of all this Starla (and anyone else)?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I had a dream the other night that I was suffocating, probably because I was wheezing with my asthma - I knew I was dreaming but thought I was dying. I remember my thought processing being like "so this is how it ends..." and feeling OK with that, some kind of brain mechanism that stopped me from being scared much. This might be out there and not what death is like at all but I can imagine a sense of peace in the knowledge that things are ending after fighting it a bit and realizing it's inevitable in that moment. It was interesting in any case.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
none of this is falsifiable

it's like horoscopes for age bands

Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Luke de Spa

DURR vs DURRR

shit what if there's a third DURRRRR

Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post

of course it's all theory, but many people see its usefulness. it's not like fucking horoscopes. get over yourself. no one is saying it's hard science.

i mean should we not try to understand the maturation process? it's impossible to completely explain by just brain imaging and measurement of neurotransmitter volumes and etc

Old 05-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Luke de Spa

many people see astrology's usefulness. it's all theory. get over myself? what?

Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Shallowed
Braindead

Theories are hard science though, like the theory of gravity.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Shallowed
Braindead

Don't mind me I'll just leave you guys to do your psychology in peace.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
yo soy el mejor

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post

The Oral receptive personality is preoccupied with eating/drinking and reduces tension through oral activity such as eating, drinking, smoking, biting nails. They are generally passive, needy and sensitive to rejection. They will easily 'swallow' other people's ideas.

The Oral aggressive personality is hostile and verbally abusive to others, using mouth-based aggression.

The Anal retentive personality is stingy, with a compulsive seeking of order and tidiness. The person is generally stubborn and perfectionist.

The Anal expulsive personality is an opposite of the Anal retentive personality, and has a lack of self control, being generally messy and careless
i exhibit/have exhibited all of these traits at different times depending on the circumstance. this is so dumb!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
yo soy el mejor

Thumbs up

Quote:

Quote:

DURR vs DURRR

shit what if there's a third DURRRRR
pretty much.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

maybe i've got borderline personality disorder just like a woman?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
slunken
Virgo

more than a woman

Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

BPD isn't just diagnosed in women

Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
yo soy el mejor

verrry interesting. *nods head*

Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i dunno luke, it's the study of the mind based on behavior. if you don't see the value in that then you don't.

do you not think these things are important? perception, emotions, personality, cognition, etc? how would you suppose we instead study these things?

do you think philosophy has the same problems or do you respect it?

Old 05-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
john's ego
Ownz

psychoanalysis is bullshit and is widely regarded as such by anybody who knows anything.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
i think if this is supposed to be applicable to people of all parts of the globe, it is totally racist.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

del cleared up next post

Last edited by reprise85 : 05-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

they are not all created equal and I'd only attach "pure" freudian concepts to psychoanalysis.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

"Serious and thoughful contributions?" On Netphoria? That's insane.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #24
Luke de Spa

Quote:
i dunno luke, it's the study of the mind based on behavior. if you don't see the value in that then you don't.

do you not think these things are important? perception, emotions, personality, cognition, etc? how would you suppose we instead study these things?

do you think philosophy has the same problems or do you respect it?
i see plenty of value in the study of the mind, just not via unscientific methods. splitting lifespan up into arbitrary discrete units based on invented dichotomies (like 40-65: generativity vs. stagnation) is appealing, pithy and easy to understand… but probably bullshit.

why? basically, as a species we're pretty bad at thinking. check out this list of cognitive biases – look how long it is! the only consistently successful tool for discovery we have is science, and even its findings – being as they are generated and shared by humans – should be approached with a healthy serving of skepticism. everything else we might as well just ignore, or treat as a guide for what to study next.

to that end, yes, the same applies to philosophy that makes empirical claims (e.g., much philosophy of mind, ontology).

Old 05-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #25
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

I'm a Romantic, go to hell.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #26
Luke de Spa

go and be whatever you like with my blessing, t-lish

Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

The go to hell was facetious

Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
Starla

Quote:
I think there's a lot to say for the actual stages, but the reasoning that he uses doesn't hold up much. I like Erikson's stages much better - they seem to be more accurate and thorough and focus on the outcomes of nuturance vs apathy and/or abuse and not on sex/gender and "complexes".

`````````
I can see how these stages apply to my life as I learn to trust and become more autonomous and less guilty. And I can see how my adolescent years were extremely fucked up and lead to a ton of identity confusion and how as I develop my own sense of self I'll be able to engage in relationships that were impossible while I was/am still going through all the childhood and adolescent phases.

I like Erikson too, I think that he has more of a grasp on the stages of development more than anyone else next to Jung. I also like his idea about the ego..... super ego vs id. It's basically our consciousness we are communicating with, or our higher self. No other psychologist wants to really admit we have that innate ability. You should check out Karen Horney. You may like her.

http://allpsych.com/personalitysynopsis/horney.html

Old 05-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #29
Starla

Quote:
I had a dream the other night that I was suffocating, probably because I was wheezing with my asthma - I knew I was dreaming but thought I was dying. I remember my thought processing being like "so this is how it ends..." and feeling OK with that, some kind of brain mechanism that stopped me from being scared much. This might be out there and not what death is like at all but I can imagine a sense of peace in the knowledge that things are ending after fighting it a bit and realizing it's inevitable in that moment. It was interesting in any case.
I have a lot of dreams where I'm dying. I truly fear death right now. Most of my dreams I'm dying in a car accident.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
maybe i've got borderline personality disorder just like a woman?

This is a really good site on bpd

http://www.sharischreiber.com/articles.html