Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #31
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Dream pop is pretty much not a very defined genre and when I see you mention cranberries as being dream pop, it proves it. I swear I see this tag put on bands I never thought of qualifying as dream pop all the time.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #32
Catherine Wheel
Banned

And it's the same with shoegaze. Sure it was around before 90s but it became very successful and popular in the early 90s.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #33
I'm Hardcore
Banned

pointless discussion

Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #34
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

sure but then why would this forum exist?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #35
Shallowed
Braindead

why does life exist?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:51 AM   #36
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Mama Said is a pretty solid album. Cheesey and lacking in genuine emotional depth but lots of catchy riffs and lyrics. I loved that album as an 18/19 year old, drinking my Stella Artois and smoking my Marlboro lights in little ol Wellington, NZ

Old 05-31-2014, 02:59 AM   #37
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Definitely maybe and what's the story morning glory are pretty solid too, even if not to people's tastes.

It wasn't just nostalgia - if anything they just didn't get caught up in the indie movement where everything had to be rough or dissonant sounding lest it be called "mainstream"

Old 05-31-2014, 03:04 AM   #38
vixnix
Socialphobic

Oh man I just remembered that my boyfriend at the time introduced me to Mama Said because he played More than Anything in this World to me when we first started dating. Nostalgia pains. What a couple of beautiful and tragic teenagers we were.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 AM   #39
vixnix
Socialphobic

My husband just came in and found me listening to lenny kravitz and burst out laughing. Then he joked he was going to make a status update about finding his wife watching a lenny kravitz show. My whole life is just such a joke.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #40
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i like whats the story morning glory. i still play it maybe 1-2 times a year.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #41
The Omega Concern
Banned

Kravits would be nostalgic to me but not Oasis. They have a strong sense of structure I somehow find underrated in their material when I hear it now. I liked 'em and all back in the day but they buggered off kinda quick and they were so many other bands at the time. But now I think their stuff holds up much better than most.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #42
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Definitely maybe and what's the story morning glory are pretty solid too, even if not to people's tastes.

It wasn't just nostalgia - if anything they just didn't get caught up in the indie movement where everything had to be rough or dissonant sounding lest it be called "mainstream"
i'm not sure anything in the 90s could have been more mainstream in the UK than oasis

Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #43
Trotskilicious
Banned

i was looking at some lenny kravitz and seriously it sounds like a jimi hendrix cover band that decided to do "original" songs that sound like watered down hendrix songs...

but three cheers for lenny's drummer in a box, i always thought she was rad

Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #44
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
The 90s: responsible for shoegaze, trip hop, downtempo, jazz rap, third wave ska

It was a great decade for music.
you mention a bunch of niche genres like "jazz rap" (which, what, entirely consists of a tribe called quest and black star?) instead of THE ENTIRE GENRE TOOK FLIGHT IN THE 90S, JESUS CHRIST. WU-TANG FOREVER. NASTY NAS. JAY FUCKING Z. BIGGIE. TUPAC.

OUT FUCKING KAST

god damn you CW with your fucking genres "downtempo" what the fuck are you talking about

Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #45
Trotskilicious
Banned

and yeah saying shoegaze is 90s is basically not understanding that the scene came to a complete halt somewhere around 91 or 92, that these bands had gotten started in the late 80s and it's like saying the pixies were a 90s band.

also, i'd like to mention what i consider to be the protogaze band is the SMITHS and HOW SOON IS GODDAMN NOW was early to mid 80s. pretty sure How Soon is Now practically invented shoegaze

JOHNNY MARR IS GOD FUCK CLAPTON

Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #46
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i'm not sure anything in the 90s could have been more mainstream in the UK than oasis
Yep what's your point

Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #47
Trotskilicious
Banned

i dunno din****** what was yours about "dissonant" being "outside of the mainstream"

because that was stupid fucking point about the 90s in rock music

Old 06-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #48
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah because you know nirvana was like

not mainstream

because they got "caught up in the indie movement where everything had to be rough or dissonant sounding"

Old 06-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #49
Trotskilicious
Banned

like seriously you're so fucking clueless it drives me fucking insane, is this just deliberate trolling or are you really this opinionated and unknowledgable

i mean do you enjoy saying patently false blanket statements and having them refuted, does that tickle your jimmies?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #50
I'm Hardcore
Banned

vixnix you are dense

Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #51
I'm Hardcore
Banned

following CW's logic, i guess emo is a 2000's movement because that's when it became popular

Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #52
Trotskilicious
Banned

sorry i have some rage issues

Old 06-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #53
I'm Hardcore
Banned

don't apologise on behalf of vixnix's terrible boarding

Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #54
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post

I don't get it, are you not reading what I wrote? I never said Oasis weren't mainstream

Old 06-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #55
vixnix
Socialphobic

They made unapologetically melodic ballads, a lot like SD era Pumpkins, not caring if it made them sound mainstream

It's a very popular form for songwriting, so their albums enjoyed widespread popularity.

What's your point??

Old 06-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #56
vixnix
Socialphobic

Oh Nirvana. Well Nirvana was pop music gold - studio execs are always looking for music that is just different enough to be novel, but familiar enough that most people can easily accept it.

Actually the hair metal that preceded Nirvana was far more dissonant - Nirvana is fairly melodic. The biggest point of difference with Nirvana is that it wasn't contrived...their sentiments were real.

But there's a reason Nirvana Unplugged in New York is a freakishly accomplished and beautiful recording that say GNR & Poison haven't been able to replicate.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #57
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
also, i'd like to mention what i consider to be the protogaze band is the SMITHS and HOW SOON IS GODDAMN NOW was early to mid 80s. pretty sure How Soon is Now practically invented shoegaze

JOHNNY MARR IS GOD FUCK CLAPTON
I don't hear it. At least if i think of the main 3 or 4 shoegaze bands. More like Cocteau Twins and Jesus and Mary chain. And a band like slowdive has more in common with The Cure or Chameleons (i honestly don't get why bands like Slowdive and MBV are in the same genre...they sound little alike).

Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 AM   #58
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I kind of want to say 93 was the last big year for shoegaze because that year Catherine Wheel released Chrome, Slowdive released Souvlaki and Kitchens of Distinction released The Death of Cool.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #59
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I kind of want to say 93 was the last big year for shoegaze because that year Catherine Wheel released Chrome, Slowdive released Souvlaki and Kitchens of Distinction released The Death of Cool.
you didn't mention Bailter Space's album 'Robot World', which is better than those other 3

Old 06-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #60
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Not to be anal but Death of Cool is actually 92.