Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default On this tour, did you ever get the feeling they were going through the motions?

I've watched a ton of footage from the Shiny tour over many different stops and it kinda looks a little forced a lot of the time. They don't really seem all that into it. Was it different in person? Even moments where Billy shreds, the rest of the group seems subdued and listless.

You watch a group like Fleetwood Mac and each members always just giving it their all, passionately engulfed in the music. You watch a performance like this and compare it to the Pumpkins stage show and it's night and day. The Pumpkins are pathetic in comparison

This is how a band should perform live

Billy should step up his game

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 01-05-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

No. We all 100% believe this band is the real deal.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

Well I read all over the internet these people ranting and raving about their amazing live-show and it's like "dude, no it isn't". Go watch some Fleetwood Mac if you wanna see a great live band. But then again, it helps that Stevie can actually sing

Old 01-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Which tour? Summer one seemed as passionate as we could expect from WCP playing 20 year old songs he probably hates.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I feel like there was more than a little criticism of the new band’s vibe here on Netphoria. The stills and gifs pulled out of the Guitar Center interview were pretty ridiculous. And then of course....there’s that creepy Bates smile.....don’t let me down Took....

Old 01-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

Both.

There doesn't seem to be much on stage chemistry between the boys. They all just kinda stick to their one spot and are in their own little world. Jimmy always looks pained and bored lol.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
And then of course....there’s that creepy Bates smile.....don’t let me down Took....
lol that's what I mean. I was watching a Fleetwood Mac show and they're all playing off of one another and there's a lot of personal interplay and chemistry bouncing from one to the other and that type of thing and I thought "man, was there even any personal interplay between SP at all during the reunion tour" and the only moment I could really think of was that Bates/Corgan/Iha moment lol.

You figure they'd at least try to ham it up a little more seeing as it was their first time back together.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Original thread:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthre...=Guitar+center

FF5-DD473-26-B9-4856-950-B-0-BAC3-FF27-C05

Last edited by johncg : 01-05-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

To be fair, I get the same vibe from the Pixies and their touring with Paz. They play the songs sufficiently and Frank Blacks pipes have held up a fuck of a lot better than Billy's but there's just no charisma or group chemistry with their on-stage performance any more

It's loud alternative rock for fuck sakes, there needs to be some passion in the live performance.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I think it’s equally lame what Pixies are doing. Fairness is not really where my mind goes with it though. Two great alt rock bands gone wrong don’t make a right.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
haha oh yeah. Seems the other guys are thinking "fuck, let's get this over with"

Old 01-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I think it’s equally lame what Pixies are doing. Fairness is not really where my mind goes with it though. Two great alt rock bands gone wrong don’t make a right.
I hear yah man. I saw Pixies last year and it was so tired and bland. It's not the type of music that you can simply float by on with a little technical proficiency.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I was fortunate to see the newly reunited Pixies with Kim Deal in Toronto 2005(?) and there were a beautiful, fiery mess but also the tightest rock four piece I’ve ever seen. It was really special. I honestly don’t blame them for doing what they are doing now: they deserve to make a living and to play the biggest shows possible in this difficult music economy. They are making the best of a bad situation (Kim leaving.) But god damn if it doesn’t feel the same up there. They are a bland and lifeless version of themselves.

As an addendum to that, the documentary made around the time of the reunion shows that drummer Dave Lovering was essentially homeless when the band starting touring again. So we can’t ever assume musicians are filthy rich just because they are famous. I’m glad they are touring and all that.i get it. I’m just saying it kinda sucks to see as a hardcore fan.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #14
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Fuzzy just shut. The. Fuck. Up. Already.

No. Best year SP has had since who knows when but you know that already so just stop posting.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Also fleetwokd Mac is a completely different animal and always has been, you’re comparing apples and oranges and yet again it’s obnoxious.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Fuzzy being obnoxious? No way!

Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #18
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Smashing Pumpkins going through the motions? 30 yrs into their career on a tour of only old songs, & the same setlist every night?

I refuse to believe it

Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #19
FoolofaTook

SARCASM DETECTED!

Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

and they said it was impossible on the internet...

Old 01-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #21
FoolofaTook

Old 01-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #22
redbreegull

where there is life, anything is possible

Old 01-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #23
FoolofaTook

praise him!

Old 01-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #24
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Old 01-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #25
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Pretty much every hired musician looks like they're collecting a paycheck. Even if they somehow look like they're having fun, you know they would be having more fun somewhere else, maybe on a stage of their own. So it's been Billy with hired musicians for nearly twenty years. Jeff and Bates look about as enthusiastic as the employees at Target. That's at least one reason why people like to see the original members, the musicians who were on board before any of them knew the band would turn a profit, and even if you can see that they despise each other, you know it's real, and there's a lot to be said for that. The animosity between Billy and D'arcy makes the idea of them joining up on stage all the more appealing.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #26
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Jimmy is absolutely in it for the money. I've seen the pumpkins a dozen times without Jimmy. I finally got the chance to see him in person about a month ago. It was fucking weak, phoned in and lifeless. Totally a cash grab. He came out, played halfheartedly and left the second it was over. James actually seemed to be having a great time, actually. He was lively and played some fairly great leads. Jeff and the bassist guy are and will always be fucking duds. Billy on the other hand, he was just basking in his self image. I am shocked at the lack of, well I'm not sure the right word, backlash? The fact that he had 20-30 pictures of himself as the background visuals throughout the whole show was just bizarre. Like even by Billy's standards.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #27
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
To be fair, I get the same vibe from the Pixies and their touring with Paz. They play the songs sufficiently and Frank Blacks pipes have held up a fuck of a lot better than Billy's but there's just no charisma or group chemistry with their on-stage performance any more

It's loud alternative rock for fuck sakes, there needs to be some passion in the live performance.
you forgot to compare with Fleetwood Mac in this post

Old 01-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #28
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

lol you guys are such dicks to fuzzy

Old 01-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #29
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
The fact that he had 20-30 pictures of himself as the background visuals throughout the whole show was just bizarre.
It was well in excess of thirty.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #30
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

You know that Lindsey Buckingham got fired from the band last year...?

And had to be replaced again by two guitarists.

One of them an incredible songwriter, Neil Finn.

So, don't dream it's over. With the band.

Stevie Nicks liked the version of "Landslide" from SP.