Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-22-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

Default You fuckers see the TapeOp SP feature?

http://tapeop.com/interviews/115/sma...tudio-history/

Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 AM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

tldr: "me me me me me me" -billy

Old 09-23-2016, 04:12 AM   #3
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
It's been weird for me in the last seven years, because as vocals have gotten louder in the sonic spectrum – and the general consensus is, "Well, you should have louder vocals" – it exposed my voice in a way that probably wouldn't be as exposed if it was still sitting in a pile of guitars. Fans are always complaining and saying, "Turn your vocals back down," but that's the way I like to hear it.
...what?

Old 09-23-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

That makes no goddamn sense

Old 09-23-2016, 05:52 AM   #5
trevorbrooks
Demi-God

Quote:
They were so amazing, but it had to be all four of them there. They all needed each other in different ways. The groove and the feel of the combination of all of them
so true

Last edited by trevorbrooks : 09-23-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
trevorbrooks
Demi-God

Quote:
Tommy Lee: Doing Billy's record, for me, was such a cool experience, because stylistically – fuck man – I put on a couple different hats. All of a sudden I'm playing this crazy, prog rock that I don't typically play much of.
fucking monuments is prog rock

Old 09-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Billy hired me to work on what was initially to be his solo album
I knew the band considered Adore to be a Billy solo album, but I had no idea it actually started out as a solo album.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #8
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

This also makes me wonder just which Adore songs were the most belabored and reworked: For Martha? Tear? Annie Dog? I would think that the special edition booklet would help in this regard, but it is mostly obfuscation.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
This also makes me wonder just which Adore songs were the most belabored and reworked: For Martha? Tear? Annie Dog? I would think that the special edition booklet would help in this regard, but it is mostly obfuscation.
As far as I remember, Annie Dog was actually a jam, played live by the 4 of them (Billy, James, Darcy and Matt Walker). Maybe Behold or Crestfallen?

Old 09-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
T&T
Socialphobic

shame was a live recording the day the song was written

they should have done more of that.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #11
TuralyonW3
Immortal

This is really an incredible read

Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #12
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
As far as I remember, Annie Dog was actually a jam, played live by the 4 of them (Billy, James, Darcy and Matt Walker). Maybe Behold or Crestfallen?
Brad Wood says in this interview that Behold was done early on. And it seems pretty well executed, compared to say, Crestfallen or Because you Are.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #13
Ram27
dumb

I found this little snippet in a nirvana interview

Quote:
Grohl: We’d got the call saying Butch was ready to start in March. But then we kept getting pushed back, and we were like, “Who the f— is he recording?” He said the Smashing Pumpkins. None of us had heard of them yet, and we were like, “That’s the dumbest f— ing band name.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/23/nirvana-nevermind

Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #14
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbrooks View Post
so true
I was gonna quote that part
Speaks volumes

Old 09-24-2016, 12:46 AM   #15
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post

Billy once said that Crestfallen was the final song to be completed, as it took the longest to get right. He said that he did hundreds of vocal takes until he felt his voice sounded as perfect and polished as he himself could get it to be. He also said that the particular keyboard tone used for the track went through countless iterations until they found the one he liked best.

I've always thought Crestfallen was one of the best tracks on the album, particularly because of how polished it is. His voice sounds absolutely perfect... almost synthetically-so. It's a testament to his obsessiveness, and I think it translates. I don't always appreciate that over-polishing, but in cases like Crestfallen, or really all of Siamese Dream, I love it from time to time.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:36 AM   #16
Ram27
dumb

Honestly I don't really like Crestfallen just because Monte likes it

I never really tried listening to Adore properly until recently and now I can't take the 'your life is not your own' line seriously at all

Old 09-24-2016, 01:54 AM   #17
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

http://static.stereogum.com/uploads/...illyCorgan.jpg

To mold like clay
To break like dirt

Old 09-24-2016, 04:13 AM   #18
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Fans are always complaining and saying, "Turn your vocals back down," but that's the way I like to hear it. Siamese Dream is probably the greatest: Jimmy on fire, and me singing behind a wall of guitars is probably the greatest expression of what we are capable of.
So, singing behind a wall of guitars is the greatest expression of what he's capable of, but fuck that, he likes to hear the vocals way up above the guitars and everything else.
Smart. Interesting that he's aware fans hate his vocal mixes since ZG.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:15 AM   #19
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

literally almost every statement billy made in that article rubbed me the wrong way in some way or form.

he's so self centered, and always tries to magnify his contributions while simultaneously belittling others', it's really quite incredible. such a bitter human being. i could go quote by quote and just rip but it seems like too much work right now.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #20
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

this is one of the best ones:

Quote:
And I never would have guessed that having accomplished as much as I did as a guitar player that I would be ignored as much as a guitar player as I have been. Part of that I really do think is, during those rosy years, people didn't realize it was me doing the guitars. I think many people assumed that it wasn't me. I think they thought I was the songwriter and lead singer, but they didn't realize I was the guy doing all the crazy overdubs too – it was almost too much for them to put in one hat.
i rolled my eyes so hard i could see my brain.
yes bill, some kid in nigeria still didn't know you were the one who recorded every bass and guitar part in SP's back catalogue, but now you've corrected that. thank you so much!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #21
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

-Billy wrote, recorded and played everything live himself with no help from anybody why is he not worshipped as a Deity

Old 09-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #22
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
he's so self centered, and always tries to magnify his contributions while simultaneously belittling others', it's really quite incredible. such a bitter human being. i could go quote by quote and just rip but it seems like too much work right now.
The part about Butch liking Jimmy because he was envious of his talent seemed so unnecessary. All he had to say was "As a fellow drummer, Butch loved working with Jimmy".

Billy is seriously fucked in the head.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #23
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Aw dang got back from a trip, pulled this outta the mailbox, ran straight here to post, hoping 4 some mad accolades......too little too late, as always

Great interview though, puts some matters to rest, for example the click track issue we were arguing about in the music forum the other week

Old 09-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #24
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Also if u haven't read it yet, bill literally whines that he's not seen as special

Old 09-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #25
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
The part about Butch liking Jimmy because he was envious of his talent seemed so unnecessary. All he had to say was "As a fellow drummer, Butch loved working with Jimmy".

Billy is seriously fucked in the head.
yeah that was an especially cheap pot shot for no apparent reason.
there were so many other things i picked up from literally every paragraph by corgan - he just oozes bitterness, and doesn't miss a single opportunity to take shots at anyone, and tell everyone how much better he is than what everybody thinks.

on a side note, Brad Wood actually surprised me tbh - billy made him out to sound like such an incredible douche, and his response was so elegant and classy:

Quote:
Brad Wood [initial producer, Tape Op #99]: Billy hired me to work on what was initially to be his solo album. That concept got expanded to a proper Smashing Pumpkins record pretty quickly, and we went at the sessions pretty hard. The first two weeks were really fruitful ("To Sheila," "Ava Adore," and "Behold! The Night Mare") and I felt good about the pace, and the relationship between myself and the band. That all kind of eroded soon enough, and what followed was a lesson for me in how not to produce an album. I learned a lot from the Adore sessions; much of it painful. I didn't serve my client in the best way – maybe I was never the right fit for Billy, or maybe it was the particular circumstances of our lives then. It doesn't matter now. What matters is that there are some really great songs that now are part of the Smashing Pumpkins catalog, and I am proud to have played a part in the recording of them. Plus, the dude can play the hell out of his guitar.
admitting he didn't manage to live up to his client's expectations (through fault of his own or not), complimenting the song, expressing gratefulness for being part of a great project nonetheless, praising bill's musicianship.

see bill? this is how a grownup acts.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #26
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post

see bill? this is how a grownup acts.
I think it's all been bad karma for Corgan since Machina. Things started going down the slope after Adore and he lost his way - and the means to communicate with the world without coming off as a complete asshole. I mean, the bloated ego helped him through Siamese Dream and MCIS but he was simultaneously trying to prove people wrong by actually giving them something worthwhile back then. Zeitgeist and everything past that has constantly been connected to the fact that he feels he "deserves" the praise, fame and recognition etc. The sad reality is that with this mentality he will never release another record comparable to the original catalogue.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
T&T
Socialphobic

he's always been the same jerk-off
it's just that the media in the early 90's treated him differently. he was just an up and coming - but the kid-gloves came off at a certain point and they started reporting on him how he really was. now it's a completely different story - fan have direct access to billy and we can see for ourselves how he's a knob who is far from being as media savvy as he claims

Old 09-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #28
trevorbrooks
Demi-God

Quote:
Vocally, however, I think I've benefited from working with great producers like Flood, who've gotten the best out of me as a vocalist. I probably haven't done as good a job when I've produced myself.
some self awareness (and a bit of an understatement)

Old 09-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #29
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

"Asking Roy to be a part of that, the vocal production and wider vocal seemed to be the perfect complement to – let's just say – a simpler version of the band's music."

Was Roy Thomas Bummer going deaf enough to think Billy had the voice of a Freddie Mercury?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #30
T&T
Socialphobic

billy thought the loud vocals were psychedelic. omg, delusions.

remember when he said machina was gonna sound like Mountain
and before that adore would be techno...