Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 02:53 AM   #61
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Yeah I realized that after I made that post

Old 06-04-2014, 03:01 AM   #62
Shallowed
Braindead

Catherine Wheel releasing Chrome and Adorable releasing Against Perfection are death knells for shoegaze in 1993 more than anything. Both those bands are rubbish.

But you are right in a way, in the years to come, almost every seminal shoegaze band would go on to release terrible albums or just shy away from shoegaze altogether, for better or worse.

Some other great 93 shoegaze albums
Secret Shine - Untouched
The Verve - A Storm in Heaven
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
Lovesliescrushing - Bloweyelashwish
Flying Saucer Attack s/t

Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #63
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I kind of want to say 93 was the last big year for shoegaze because that year Catherine Wheel released Chrome, Slowdive released Souvlaki and Kitchens of Distinction released The Death of Cool.
YOU KIND OF WANT TO SAY THAT?
REALLY?
I AM NOT SURE IF THAT IS ALLOWED, CATHERINE WHEEL, IF THAT IS IN FACT YOUR REAL NAME. PLEASE AWAIT OUR DECISION. WE ARE KIND OF WEIGHING UP ALL THE PROS AND THE CONTRAS. KIND OF.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #64
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Actually the hair metal that preceded Nirvana was far more dissonant - Nirvana is fairly melodic.
what the FUCK are you talking about

Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #65
Trotskilicious
Banned

WOAH
YEAH
BAYYYYYYYYYYBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYY

Old 06-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

also just fyi the idea that everything in the indie 90s was abrasive or deliberately unlistenable is fucking dumb and incorrect.

anytime anyone says "all of indie is x" they are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wrong

Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #67
Cool As Ice Cream

i kind of wanted to say that.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #68
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

how come the term shoegaze isn't popular in other languages.
other english terms like grunge, alternative, down tempo blablabla are common, but not shoegaze.

CAIC, is shoegaze a thing/category on belgian music sites?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #69
Trotskilicious
Banned

i dunno i think we need a better term for noisy guitar rock that uses lots of pedals, feedback, distortion and that wall of sound

i mean Japandroids and Joy Formidable and Ride and Sonic Youth and the Smashing Pumpkins and Fucked Up and late period Sleater-Kinney (THE WOODS) all exist in the same category for me, but I'm about broadening genres not inventing new ones to subcategorize two or three bands in their own "genres" like CW with his fucking jazz rap bullshit

Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #70
Cool As Ice Cream

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
what's a belgian music site?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #71
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
what's a belgian music site?

no idea, anything, concert reviews, ticket sellers, radio, album reviews - do they use the term shoegaze to describe a band?

maybe I'm just too old to really get the word shoegaze. It seems fairly new to me, but the music style isn't.
I can't imagine going in a record store a few years ago and saying - hey, can you suggest me some good SHOEGAZE ALBUMS.

I read "The Verve blabla SHOEGAZE" in this thread, and I have no fucking clue what the fuck you people are talking about.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #72
Trotskilicious
Banned

i use that term around town and most of the people i talk to have NO IDEA what it means and i live in what is ostensibly a hip city

the name derives from the original brit journalists that covered the scene, not only did the performers have a downcast demeanor in general but they were also primarily looking at their pedals during performances, so the term was coined.

i think generally the term is much more familiar to the british because it's almost exclusively british

lately there's a second wave of shoegaze, which some have called "nugaze" but i still think it's kind of fringe

Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #73
pavementtune

I am familiar with the word for the late 80s, and that's what I think of when someone says SHOEGAZE. But in the 90s in my parts "alternative" or "Britpop" were the main terms.
This second wave is what I don't get.

PostpunkpostrockpostrapShoegaze2014.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #74
Trotskilicious
Banned

second wave just means bands like Pains of Being Pure at Heart, the Joy Formidable, No Joy. Basically contemporary bands that have a shoegaze approach.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #75
pavementtune

What about Deerhunter, do I have to call them shoegaze when I don't want to sound like I fell asleep in 2000.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #76
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
how come the term shoegaze isn't popular in other languages.
other english terms like grunge, alternative, down tempo blablabla are common, but not shoegaze.

Well i dont know but i hang out on a french (as in from France) forum and on the music board they have a thread for shoegaze. Actually called shoegaze.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #77
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
second wave just means bands like Pains of Being Pure at Heart, the Joy Formidable, No Joy. Basically contemporary bands that have a shoegaze approach.

Ok i really hate that you even know who No Joy is. I was hoping this was just gonna be one more of White-Gluz bullshit bands that go nowhere and no one cares about but that she somehow manages to push down peoples throats. She used to do indie pop, it was shit too. In another life ten years back or so I was friend with and eventually romantically pursued the other girl in that band (Laura) and that ended in disaster. But that's what i get for attempting to date people several years my junior. Fucking old creep. They're upper class private school kids who never needed to work a day in their lives. Perfect for shoegaze. I've actually seen them bitch at kickstarter in an interview. Yeah, not everyone has parents to fund their artistic endeavours while they're slumming it.

And yes of course i'm bitter(though i swear it is unrelated to my failure to date one of them, that was long before she even played anything anyway)

Old 06-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #78
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
What about Deerhunter, do I have to call them shoegaze when I don't want to sound like I fell asleep in 2000.
i love deerhunter and they have some shoegazy elements especially lockett pundt's stuff like desire lines but ultimately i think bradford cox was right on the money, it's "ambient punk" i think deerhunter has way more in common with VU and Television than shoegaze, really.

so that would make them post post punk i guess

Old 06-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #79
Trotskilicious
Banned

POST NOTHING

CELEBRATION ROCK

Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #80
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Ok i really hate that you even know who No Joy is. I was hoping this was just gonna be one more of White-Gluz bullshit bands that go nowhere and no one cares about but that she somehow manages to push down peoples throats. She used to do indie pop, it was shit too. In another life ten years back or so I was friend with and eventually romantically pursued the other girl in that band (Laura) and that ended in disaster. But that's what i get for attempting to date people several years my junior. Fucking old creep. They're upper class private school kids who never needed to work a day in their lives. Perfect for shoegaze. I've actually seen them bitch at kickstarter in an interview. Yeah, not everyone has parents to fund their artistic endeavours while they're slumming it.

And yes of course i'm bitter(though i swear it is unrelated to my failure to date one of them, that was long before she even played anything anyway)
yeah, give a fuck i do not. wait to pleasure is a good album and they make nice music.

T&T hates them too, i think you montreal types ultimately hate your own local bands

Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #81
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
i love deerhunter and they have some shoegazy elements especially lockett pundt's stuff like desire lines but ultimately i think bradford cox was right on the money, it's "ambient punk" i think deerhunter has way more in common with VU and Television than shoegaze, really.

so that would make them post post punk i guess
wait sorry post proto post punk

Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #82
Trotskilicious
Banned

proto post punk post rock celebration

Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #83
Trotskilicious
Banned

dudes like CW ruin music for everyone else

Old 06-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #84
pavementtune

'ambient punk' - I like that.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #85
Trotskilicious
Banned

have you seen them live yet? they're jerks and seem to only play festivals when they should play 2+ hours but still, so so good. and Bradford is so strange, funny and charming.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #86
pavementtune

yea, I've seen them twice last year, one festival one full show, loved it.

No idea why I was so damn late to the Deerhunter party, now they are one of my favorites. But the only upcoming date I know of is Roskilde.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #87
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
also just fyi the idea that everything in the indie 90s was abrasive or deliberately unlistenable is fucking dumb and incorrect.

anytime anyone says "all of indie is x" they are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wrong
didn't say this either OMFG why don't you read things before going off

Old 06-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #88
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
what the FUCK are you talking about
Dissonance and melody, which I made quite clear.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #89
vixnix
Socialphobic

I don't made universal generalisations because they are easily falsifiable - every first year formal logic student learns that.

It's pretty well accepted that nearly every time someone says "All of x are also y" they are...how did you so eloquently phrase it ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wrong or whatever - maybe one more ALWAYS.

But maybe you should, I dunno...read what people write, before going to the trouble of using your caps lock and cut and paste hot keys. Just something to think about.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #90
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
they just didn't get caught up in the indie movement where everything had to be rough or dissonant sounding lest it be called "mainstream"