Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #151
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobliefeld View Post
I enjoy Nirvana but this is horseshit.

They didn't innovate or invent or anything they just wanted to be Melvins. Cobain was #1 Melvins and King Buzzo fan boy.

Nirvanas first album is a straight up shameless Melvins rip off and that's not even up for debate.

Nevermind is an attempt at making a Melvins pop record.. Cobain was actually quite disappointed in it because it didn't really sound enough like the Melvins.

In Utero is "hi record company we made your pop record can we go back to trying to be the Melvins now?"
The influences are clear, but Nirvana crafted their music in a sensational pop way without losing the edge or energy.. I guess maybe innovative isn't exactly the word I should have used but call it what you will, they crafted their influences in a real focused new way. It's easy to forget how powerful Nevermind was at the time.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #152
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Nirvana had its own unique character as a band, but it's a stretch to say they were innovative. Influential, yes. They basically wanted to be the Melvins on the heavy side, and Boston and the Beatles on the melodic side. The most unusual thing about their sound is probably the direct influence of old bluesmen.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #153
fuzzyroes
Banned

whatever it was, they took from the underground and made something that flipped the musical landscape on it's ass and resonated with the masses in doing so.

I really can't see a "band" doing that anymore. I guess cause the traditional instrumental groups are on their way out... But still, it's pretty awesome what Nirvana achieved.

Even though I've heard SLTS a billion times, it came on the radio a few weeks back and I was listening on headphones and just the powerfulness of it still resonates. Perfect song for the perfect moment in time. Hell it kicked Michael Jackson from the top of the charts.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #154
redbreegull

No artist can have that kind of influence anymore I think. The entire game has changed. With the internet came an infinite multiplicities of media, and "mainstream" has become a more and more amorphous and irrelevant. No one needs MTV or the radio to find new music anymore. I mean are there any "mainstream" rock bands these days? On the rare occasion I turn on the standard rock station around here it's all 90s rock, horrible 2000s post-grunge like Staind, and a some singles from unknown bands I will never hear of again. Media has fractured and compartmentalized. There has been a revival of everything basically, and these myriad little niches are all existing alongside each other in different bubbles.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #155
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Thread so enlightening, thx

Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #156
T&T
Socialphobic

so a musician took a variety of influences and made it into something new and unique.
neat.
no wonder the guy is adored and revered.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #157
bobliefeld
Pledge

If you wanna talk about resonating the masses we might as well be talking about Taylor Swift.

It sure would've been nice to see & hear what happened next if Kurt didn't die though. I can't imagine what the guy would've done through musics awkward Marilyn Manson and Nu Metal phases.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #158
FoolofaTook

lol

as if there is some abstract "music" which goes thru "phases" (nu metal!)

fucking idiot

FUCKING IMBECILE

Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #159
redbreegull

Kurt and Michael Stipe had discussed doing an album together in early 94. I know that Nirvana was basically broken up when he killed himself, and he had expressed that he had lost interest in the kind of music they were playing.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #160
T&T
Socialphobic

so the guy who wanted to be king buzzo was going to do an album with michael Stipe...

why didn't he do an album with the melvins if he loved them so much. he could afford to pay them & they could use the money!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #161
FoolofaTook

cuz he lacked the skillz to pull off honeybucket

Old 02-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #162
bobliefeld
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
lol

as if there is some abstract "music" which goes thru "phases" (nu metal!)

fucking idiot

FUCKING IMBECILE

Grunge died and stuff like MM and Nu Metal got big. Would Kurt Cobain have wore make up and leather and started tuning down to drop C?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #163
bobliefeld
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
so the guy who wanted to be king buzzo was going to do an album with michael Stipe...

why didn't he do an album with the melvins if he loved them so much. he could afford to pay them & they could use the money!

It's possible to like the Melvins and like REM.

He did.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #164
T&T
Socialphobic

And is it possible to like the melvins and make original music.

bobliefeld you're an idiot. is it because you're 14?

Old 02-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #165
FoolofaTook

he thinks music goes through phases

him and pitchfork

Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #166
bobliefeld
Pledge

sure you can enjoy anything you want and create original music. Nirvana never did though. That's not even up for debate really

Hi foolofatook. You're autistic right?

Old 02-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #167
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
whatever it was, they took from the underground and made something that flipped the musical landscape on it's ass and resonated with the masses in doing so.

I really can't see a "band" doing that anymore. I guess cause the traditional instrumental groups are on their way out... But still, it's pretty awesome what Nirvana achieved.

Even though I've heard SLTS a billion times, it came on the radio a few weeks back and I was listening on headphones and just the powerfulness of it still resonates. Perfect song for the BLABLABLABLA
god fuzzy, enough of your fucking bullshit music history explanations

Old 02-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #168
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Is this gonna be the one?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #169
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobliefeld View Post

Grunge died and stuff like MM and Nu Metal got big. Would Kurt Cobain have wore make up and leather and started tuning down to drop C?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #170
werideatdusk
Ownz

Getting back to the album, Corgan said in this video that the new album they're recording will be 'in the style of' the In plainsong tour, meaning acoustic meets Adore.

Kind of a let down that Jimmy comes back for the first album since the reunion where his absence might not have been missed.

My guess is that some of the D4N material is gonna be sharpened up and redone for this. I don't have high hopes as BC has not really written much good acoustic material since, what, ChicagoSongs? Djali Zwan? (i happen to think the residency material is pretty overrated)

But, it will be a good exercise for him to write material that doesn't need "CGI" production in order to succeed. He'll have to write decent lyrics again. I do think there are some good lyrics in the Teargarden/Oceania era. Tom Tom, Panopticon, Glissandra, Freak...

Bring on the three hour rock shows.... Hope your voice can handle that

Old 02-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #171
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by werideatdusk View Post
Bring on the three hour rock shows.... Hope your voice can handle that
despite loving JC - lately especially as jazz drummer - this is actually where I'm out.
(and his voice was best in the plainsong style, the rockers weren't vocally all that good when I've seen them live - Oceania up to the Manson tour. Not so much because of his voice holding or not, but because you can hear that he didn't care to yell rat in a cage.)

last SP songs with JC were Zeitgeist. Been there, done that - I've been to gigs.
Then we had United States played to death with whatever lineup.

The folks are 50 and I'm not 20 any more, I can't see myself standing at 3 hours "rockish" SP gigs and listen to rat in a cage live again and give a shit, to be honest.

Now if they come up with new songs, okay then, I'm all ears.
but that's me, there's the plainsong tour, so.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #172
redbreegull

I haven't seen SP since Jimmy left in 09, but honestly I would go see them on a greatest hits tour if they played well. Billy just seems so fuckin tired and out of it when he performs now. Really doesn't seem like his heart is in it at all.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #173
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Getting back to the album, Corgan said in this video that the new album they're recording will be 'in the style of' the In plainsong tour, meaning acoustic meets Adore.

Kind of a let down that Jimmy comes back for the first album since the reunion where his absence might not have been missed.
I'm really interested to see Jimmy's approach to playing on an Adore-like album. Any song Billy writes is better with Jimmy playing drums on it, regardless if it's Jellybelly or With Every Light.

Billy-wise, thank god he's writing an acoustic album. He sounds shitty trying to sing rock stuff nowadays.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:04 AM   #174
trevorbrooks
Demi-God

Quote:
I do think there are some good lyrics in the Teargarden/Oceania era. Tom Tom, Panopticon, Glissandra, Freak...
Freak has pretty terrible lyrics imo

Old 02-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #175
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbrooks View Post
Freak has pretty terrible lyrics imo
They'll pour the salt from your soul

Old 02-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #176
bobliefeld
Pledge

He says acoustic so it's probably going to end up being NY Hardcore.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #177
mpp
Minion of Satan

I saw them last year on the first tour w/ jimmy and it was pretty solid

nothing mindblowing, but certainly worth my ticket price; fun night out, venue down the street from my house, etc.

I'm looking forward to the ryman

Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #178
Cool As Ice Cream

jimmy is officially out of the band again
newsflash your news is not your own
this just leaked monte montelds jonathan monteit.com self of steam

Old 02-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #179
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

stop looking for an escape goat

Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #180