tarantula - 7/10
starz - 6/10
united states - 7/10
neverlost - 9/10
bring the light - 7/10
(come on) let's go! - 7/10
for god and country - 7/10
pomp and circumstances - 8/10

overall: 7.5/10 its good, i like it. 7 shades is a great, great song. billy did a good job with the vocals considering its just him, but i really wish he had a female counterpart in some of these songs. maybe im just use to it. i also think he overdid the vocals in certain instances "we are starz" is a glaring example) its a very solid first 3 tracks particularly, doomsday clock is a grower and 7 shades and orchid are instant favorites. that's the way drags a bit for me until the solo brings it up, maybe its just such a contrast that it lets me down a bit. tarantula is alright, its always been like that. the chords in starz's verse remind me of ugly, but aside from that im not too impressed with it. united states has some solid parts but i dont really feel that it was necessary to make it so long. it drags at certain parts, and certain repeating gets boring. i love neverlost on the album, sounds much better in the studio. billy's vocals are pretty solid here. bring the light would be a decent option for a single, its fast and catchy and someone compared it to jimmy eat world, thats a good comparison. come on lets go is somewhat similar, just an ordinary song. i think for god and country is growing on me a bit, but i still find it ordinary as well. pomp also takes more than one listen, and i think billy does a very good job with it, very good closer.

all in all its a good album but is no where close the pumpkin masterpieces. compete with machina for crappiest pumpkin album, but those 2 are solid albums compared to most anyone else. right now i like zeitgeist, but only some time will really tell.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:21 AM   #182
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Default Zeitgeist: Not nearly as political as everyone expected

I think the artwork combined with a few of the track titles had a lot of people expecting this to be Smashing Pumpkins "American Idiot"

Very far from it. Listening to the album as a whole that whole political, anti-america vibe isn't even an issue.

Just typical doom, gloom, heartache, heartbreak, love, searching, hope, etc we've all come to love from them.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:21 AM   #183
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

Starz isnt good. Billy's vocals are definitely too loud on the whole album.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #184
panopticon
Demi-God

That's the way (the leak is)

Old 07-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #185
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

lawl

Old 07-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #186
Heat6Jones
Demi-God

American Idiot sucks. People should stop trying to make money off of George Bush, especially in the pop industry.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #187
caliphornia
Ownz

other than the track names, i don't see anything political about the lyrics or songs at all. i guess it's all how you interpret it

Old 07-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #188
Duke
Demi-God

Zeitgeist doesn't seem all that political mto me either. It doesn't seem personal either which leaves it in some weird space.

For you people bashing American Idiot...It's a good record. Very well executed. Whether or not you agree with their political stance.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #189
JouluPam
Amish Rake Fighter

How is it possible that Tarantula and Doomsday Clock are the two worst songs on the album? They're completely boring with those far too simple riffs. The rest of the album rocks and I think Neverlost is great!

Good album.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #190
Starchildren
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliphornia
listen to it a couple times through with a good set of headphones, if you know anything about audio production you'll know what i mean.

i have listened on 2 good sets of phones (grado's and fostex) and I do know about audio production as I am an audio engineer.

i got news for you. vocals are dry and up front. very unpleasant. I know its not a mistake, that it was meant on purpose, but that doesn't make it good.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #191
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

At least we get proper reviews here..every fucking magazine and paper reviews it with the word "goth music" used. Fucking cunts

Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #192
Channah
Demi-God

Otherwise excellent album rendered virtually unlistenable to my ears by horrible vocal layering.

4/10

Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #193
__mercurial__
Pledge

on listen #3 now...

Really loving Bring the Light, there's a definite Pixies influence there. My current favourite.

Bleeding the Orchid makes me cry, this should have been up there with the greatest songs from MCIS and SD but I just can't get over the horrible loud layering on the chorus...

Overall: 7.5/10

This album is fun and it does rock, but it's missing the quiet songs and the beautiful lyrics we know Billy's capable of.

This is where Zeitgeist would currently fit in on my SP album order of preference:

Adore
MCIS
Machina I & II = Zeitgeist
SD
Gish

Old 07-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #194
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchildren
i have listened on 2 good sets of phones (grado's and fostex) and I do know about audio production as I am an audio engineer.

i got news for you. vocals are dry and up front. very unpleasant. I know its not a mistake, that it was meant on purpose, but that doesn't make it good.
This post is probably less for your benefit than everyone elses:

Turn it up until its just lower than uncomfortably loud on some good speakers - not like PAINFUL loud, but "uncomfortable" loud. Verge of uncomfortability.

It actually starts to sound half decent - as you push it towards the threshold of pain your ear's response flattens out and the bass and treble come up in relation to the midrange, where the vocal lies.

People have also said they've put on the Rock EQ in iTunes, this somewhat simulates the effect.

I'm not talking shit, I have a graph:
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/images/fletcher_munson.gif

Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #195
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

shit man.

quick notes:

corgan has really retained his songwriting edge.
nice rock guitar tones.
rocks out fiercely on occasion.
Production isnt great, but its better than machina.
Flows Nice.
United States = word.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #196
firewoman
Ownz

7 shades of Black reminds me so much of TEITBITE

Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #197
Starchildren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91
This post is probably less for your benefit than everyone elses:

i tried it, and I agree with you. unfortunately, i don't want to have to do that every time i listen to the record, and I don't have NS 10's in my car or home.

i like to listen to my music quietly, as i am sure you do, so we can spare our ears. i still haven't tried the Rock itunes preset, will do tonight.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #198
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i tried it, and I agree with you. unfortunately, i don't want to have to do that every time i listen to the record, and I don't have NS 10's in my car or home.

i like to listen to my music quietly, as i am sure you do, so we can spare our ears. i still haven't tried the Rock itunes preset, will do tonight.
Yeah. First listen today, cranked it up a bit, because I don't have any mix work imminent. Sounds pretty decent. I bet RTB mixed it at the volume i settled on...

First people complain about being loud at any volume, now people complain about things sounding best at loud volumes. Billy can't win, can he?

Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #199
j u n e
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewoman
7 shades of Black reminds me of TEITBITE
beginning of doomsday - reminds of hello kitty kat

come on (let's go) - reminiscent of zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko
Bleeding the Orchard
/\ i like it. seems to be the best median between the old sp sound and the new.

i was surprised to like 7 shades of black so much.

'for god and country' .. not bad, somehow (despite lyrics).
i dig this version far more than the acoustic.

'bring the light' sounds like sp doing pop-punk/mcr type trash.
ugh. how can you like this? i listened to this again after the first listen hoping to like it more but i just hate this song.

'that's the way' has a zwan-esque sound, but not necessarily to its detriment. it bounces along nicely. i'm not that into it, but it doesn't suck nearly as bad as bring the light (i even liked death from above more).

overall..at some points the harmonies nauseate me.
the vocals are too 'crisp', where's the angry cat growl of yore?
vocals are the biggest problem with ze zeitgeist.
havent listened to pomp and circumstances yet, i wonder if it does sound like enya..

Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #200
Starchildren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeah. First listen today, cranked it up a bit, because I don't have any mix work imminent. Sounds pretty decent. I bet RTB mixed it at the volume i settled on...

First people complain about being loud at any volume, now people complain about things sounding best at loud volumes. Billy can't win, can he?
not to say they didn't do it (maybe they did), but i miss the days when BC would drive around downtown Chicago with Flood and listen to unmastered mixes in his car.

different mediums are key. i am just really sad that they made this decision with his vox. we shouldn't have to modify it in anyway depending on where we play it.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #201
stephen_bayne
Demi-God

Bring the Light is the only song I haven't fully taken to yet just because it doesn't grab me until the second half. The second half does totally kick arse though. 7 Shades sounds way better than the live versions I heard. I like the vocal harmonies and they really work well with Billy's vocals. Starz is still my favourite but the vocals on the chorus earned a WTF from me first time I heard them even though we've all been warned. For once it feels like an Smashing Pumpkins album is too short instead of too long.

Billy's never going to top MCIS or SD but if he keeps making albums like this I'm not going to care. Thumbs way up.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #202
caliphornia
Ownz

Quote:

no shit dude, i already said i agreed with the badly mixed vocals. either way, the louder the volume, the better it sounds.

p.s. i've got news for you, i've got something to tell you.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #203
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Quote:
not to say they didn't do it (maybe they did), but i miss the days when BC would drive around downtown Chicago with Flood and listen to unmastered mixes in his car.

different mediums are key. i am just really sad that they made this decision with his vox. we shouldn't have to modify it in anyway depending on where we play it.
You're right, of course.

But I'm listening loudish in my Grado's and its the same effect as on speakers - its just unbearable to listen at those volumes for too long.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #204
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Quote:
You're right, of course.

But I'm listening loudish in my Grado's and its the same effect as on speakers - its just unbearable to listen at those volumes for too long.
Your avatar is genius.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #205
MrEcks
Pledge

Given the fact that I never even bothered to consider that this album was going to top SD or MCIS I'd say it's pretty damn good.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #206
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilstead
Your avatar is genius.
http://www.my-mistake.net/infinitepi...y/billy608.jpg
+
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...a/brianmay.jpg
=

http://users.tpg.com.au/~brendo91/billymay.jpg

Last edited by brendo_91 : 07-01-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #207
astrosfan719
Banned

I'm in the minority that I actually enjoy For God & Country.

A lot. It's my favorite.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #208
blueseattle
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo
God i'm just disappointed thru and thru, and I actually love TFE!! So many good ideas and parts of these songs are ruined!! Musically I love it.

P+C is trash, the epitome of I would say.

Starz is just plain fucking silly, I mean how could a grown man make himself look this fucking ridiculous and not be cognizant to that reality. Musically I love it though.

For God and Country was ruined, the acoustic version has a great guitar and vocal melody. WTF was he thinking.

That's the way lacks the beautiful intro from the live versions and the vocal harmonies during the chorus are TOO MUCH! Fuck Billy this is a beautiful song riuned.

7 Shades is a great song poorly executed, however I can't wait to hear it live without the incessant layering of his already questionable vocals!

Tarantula has some lame ass guitar parts, verse melodies, arrangments, but I love the chorus.

Bleeding The Orchid is however Fucking PERFECT!!

Bring The Light and (Come On) Lets Go musically are badass, but it's hard to pay attention to that through Billy's lame ass lyrics and boring non-sensical melodies.

Neverlost is boring, plain and simple.

United Statez is intense but the lalalala's were not necessary at all. Once again great musically.

I pretty much agree with most of what you're saying. Especially the intro to That's the Way.. I love how it is played live. It was actually my favorite part of the song. Bummer.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #209
blueseattle
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat6Jones
American Idiot sucks. People should stop trying to make money off of George Bush, especially in the pop industry.
Congrats.. you're the first Bowie fan I've ever disagreed with.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #210
CortezTheKiller
Oblivious Virgin

I'm listening to the album on a pair of open Sennheiser HD555s and I like to listen to my music at a medium volume. There's a fine line between it sounding good and turning up the volume where the vocals are just too loud. Forget about relaxing on my bed and listening to the album from start to finish just because of Starz....I'm not sure what BC was thinking of.

In any case I am being super critical (understandble considering the perfect production of SD). Zeitgeist is a great album, with very catchy tunes. I just wish some of these songs were abit longer, but we have 4 new songs to wait for anyway.

Clarification: I like Starz, but not the WE ARE STARZ, just too loud.

Last edited by CortezTheKiller : 07-01-2007 at 11:43 AM.