Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Shallowed
Braindead

Default Your favourite quotes from anything

"Maybe I like the misery."
- Mrs. Doyle, Father Ted

"I've got a plan so cunning, you could put a tail and it and call it a weasel."
- Edmund Blackadder, Blackadder the Third

"Why, I watched the first two-thirds of VH-1's M.C. Hammer: Behind the Music, and if there's one thing I learned about money, it's that it never runs out!"
- Principal Scudworth, Clone High

"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."
- Lou Reed

"I genuinely believe that unless you're a genius, you have to be derivative first to get to know how to be original"
- Kevin Shields

"You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don’t owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don’t even start asking for theirs."
- Sean Tejaratchi (often misattributed to Banksy)

"When I am assertive, I’m a bitch. When a man is assertive, he’s a boss. [...] When you’re a girl, you have to be everything. You have to be dope at what you do but you have to be super sweet and you have to be sexy and you have to be this, you have to be that, and you have to be nice. It’s like, 'I can’t be all those things at once. I’m a human being.'"
- Nicki Minaj

"It's shite being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers! We, on the other hand, are colonised by wankers! Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by. We're ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!"
- Renton, Trainspotting

"Better than sex, Rents. Better than sex. The ultimate hit. I'm a fucking adult, I can find out for meself. Well I'm finding out, all right."
- Tommy, Trainspotting

"The world is changing. Music is changing, drugs are changing, even men and women are changing. One thousand years from now, there'll be no guys and no girls, just wankers. Sounds great to me."
- Renton, Trainspotting

"If there is a God, He will have to beg my forgiveness."
-Anonymous Jewish concentration camp prisoner

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"
- Dalai Lama

Old 10-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old. Now when I get the sun, I smile.

-Sara Goldfarb

Old 10-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
yo soy el mejor

Parting is all we know of heaven, and all we need of hell

-Emily Dickinson

Old 10-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

i generally just use that part of the quote: "It's a shite state of affairs to be in, {insert name of the person you're with here], and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!"

Pretty much anything from Rosemary's baby. Don't know why,i just love this movie so much i can pretty much quote it through.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig." - Blondie, The Good The bad and The Ugly

“If the Holy Bible was printed as an Ace Double, it would be cut down to two 20,000-word halves with the Old Testament retitled as ‘Master of Chaos’ and the New Testament as ‘The Thing With Three Souls.’ ” - Philip K Dick

"These are my principles, if you don't like them, i have others" - Groucho Marx

“Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistance. Talent will not. There is nothing more common then unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not. Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world if full of educated derelicts. Persistence and Determination alone are Omnipotent.” - Joe Strummer

i transcribed this one once from a documentary on Alan Moore:

"Now this is the single most important thing that we can ever attain, the knowledge of our own self. And yet there are a frightening amount of people who seem to have the urge to not just ignore the self, but actually seem to have the urge to obliterate themselves. This is horrific, but you can almost understand the desire to simply wipe out that awareness because its too much of a responsibility to actually possess such a thing as a soul, such a precious thing. What if you break it? what if you lose it? Might it not be best to anesthetize it, to deaden it, to destroy it? to not have to live with the pain of struggling towards it and trying to keep it pure? I think that the way that people immerse themselves in alcohol, in drugs, in television in any of the addiction that our culture throws up can be seen as a deliberate attempt to destroy any connection between themselves and the responsibility of accepting and owning a higher self and then having to maintain it." -Alan Moore

And that's a long excerpt of the book but i always remembered that part specifically because it's written in 1953 and only so much more fitting now

"Man has always been a venal animal. The growth of populations, the huge costs of war, the incessant pressure of confiscatory taxation – all these things make him more and more venal. The average man is tired and scared, and a tired, scared man can’t afford ideals. He has to buy food for his family. In our time we have seen a shocking decline in both public and private morals. You can’t expect quality from people whose lives are a subjection to a lack of quality. You can’t have quality with mass production. You don’t want it because it lasts too long. So you substitute styling, which is a commercial swindle intended to produce artificial obsolescence. Mass production couldn’t sell its goods next year unless it made what is sold this year look unfashionable a year from now. We have the whitest kitchens and the most shining bathrooms in the world. But in the lovely white kitchen the average [person] can’t produce a meal fit to eat, and the lovely shining bathroom is mostly a receptacle for deodorants, laxatives, sleeping pills, and the products of that confidence racket called the cosmetic industry. We make the finest packages in the world, Mr Marlowe. The stuff inside is mostly junk." - Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye

Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

oh yeah and in a lighter vein:

"I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fuck is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave

Old 10-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me. -Ahab

Old 10-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
slunken
Virgo

you best get your mind right - anon

Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
slunken
Virgo

hey exploding boy have you read "the notebooks of raymond chandler"?

there are pages and pages of quotes, metaphors, lists, etc. he is definitely one of my favorite writers of all time.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
noyen
Immortal

you know what they say - they

Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
slunken
Virgo

at the end of the day, it is what it is

Old 10-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
hey exploding boy have you read "the notebooks of raymond chandler"?

there are pages and pages of quotes, metaphors, lists, etc. he is definitely one of my favorite writers of all time.
I've not read that but i have all of his books and i believe also, short stories (never checked for sure). He's also one of my favorite.

There's two kinds of people in this world, people who love Raymond Chandler, and people who love Dashiel Hammett.

(actually Hammet's ok but i just don't think he had the wit of Chandler...what is it... there's another chandler quote i like about how what a writer should invest all their time in is getting is a style. or that one where he says if he'd been any better, hollywood wouldn't have called, and if he'd been any worse, they wouldn't have either)

Old 10-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

'It's a free country.' - some asshole

Old 10-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I've not read that but i have all of his books and i believe also, short stories (never checked for sure). He's also one of my favorite.
i've got everything he's done (minus a few books of letters). Do yourself a favor and pick up his 'notebooks'. extremely fascinating look into his process and how he collected information he would later detail in his books. he would re-write ad copy from home furnishings magazines, make lists of metaphors, lists of proposed titles, stuff like that.

you can get discount copies online all day for like 5 bucks or less. AMAZING book. there's no added prose. it's just transcripts from his personal workbooks/journals.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
yo soy el mejor

you ain't nothin' but words

-some cholo

Old 10-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i've got everything he's done (minus a few books of letters). Do yourself a favor and pick up his 'notebooks'. extremely fascinating look into his process and how he collected information he would later detail in his books. he would re-write ad copy from home furnishings magazines, make lists of metaphors, lists of proposed titles, stuff like that.

you can get discount copies online all day for like 5 bucks or less. AMAZING book. there's no added prose. it's just transcripts from his personal workbooks/journals.
Sounds great. I'll look for it.

and here are the quotes i meant though i misquoted the second one in meaning

“The most durable thing in writing is style, and style is the most valuable investment a writer can make with his time."

“Had my books been any worse I would not have been invited to Hollywood and if they had been any better I would not have come.”

And while looking for those i found two more i really like:

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia"

and

"Most critical writing is drivel and half of it is dishonest. It is a short cut to oblivion, anyway. Thinking in terms of ideas destroys the power to think in terms of emotions and sensations."

Which is pretty much what i've always thought of cultural criticism in general (which is a sore point with my gf who was doing Cultural Studies and Critical theory when she was at Upenn...)

Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #16
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

You tried your best and failed miseably. The lesson is: never try. ~ Homer simpson

I'll be what i wanna do ~ phillip j fry

Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

similarly i like that bart quote:

"I'm a Simpson and a Simpson never gives up until he's tried at least one easy thing"

Old 10-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Shallowed
Braindead

It was tempting to just put ten simpsons quotes

Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it! ~ bernard black

Old 10-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

The universe works on a math equation that never even really ends ~ isaac brock

Caught with this virus for my mind ~ some guy

Old 10-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

I said shut them cunts up! And they were still warming up, so i threw a bottle at them. The band said 'thats the sons of mumford' or something. 'Theyre number five in the charts!' I just thought they were a load of retarded irish folk singers. ~ mark e smith

Im forever near a stereo saying what the fuck is this garbage? And the answer is always the red hot chili peppers ~ nick cave

Old 10-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #22
slunken
Virgo

When ppl ask me who my favorite comedian is I look them right in the eye and tell them "Anthony kiedis"

Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
noyen
Immortal

sometimes i feel like a lion chasing a butterfly..

Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #24
yo soy el mejor

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - Homer J. Simpson

Old 10-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #25
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
I said shut them cunts up! And they were still warming up, so i threw a bottle at them. The band said 'thats the sons of mumford' or something. 'Theyre number five in the charts!' I just thought they were a load of retarded irish folk singers. ~ mark e smith

Im forever near a stereo saying what the fuck is this garbage? And the answer is always the red hot chili peppers ~ nick cave
+

Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #26
Elphenor
Braindead

"When you're tied to your mother's apron no one talks about castration"

-Moz

Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #28
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post

i'd already posted the last one.

the first though i didn't know and is gold too.

I dont care for the fall and only mildly so about nick cave but there needs to be more people like this who aren't afraid of telling it like it is

In the 80's Morrissey and Robert Smith did that a lot too. About each other even. It was even better cause both were very successful commercially. I hope if i'd ever have been a successful musician i'd have had the balls to diss my shitty peers too.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #29
Elphenor
Braindead

"Hey, why don't you go swallow razor blades?"

-Lou Reed

Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #30
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

“God writes a lot of comedy... the trouble is, he's stuck with so many bad actors who don't know how to play funny.”
― Garrison Keillor