Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #31
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish08 View Post
XII falls apart so bad at the end (as you even admit to) that I can't believe you even bother to defend it. The story sucks and so do the characters. Vaan is literally the worst main character in any Final Fantasy. He does nothing. I have no idea what Square-Enix was thinking.
i enjoyed the gameplay and most of the story. why should the ending ruin the rest of it?

vaan wasn't particularly well drawn, but there was a decent amount of development and he was necessary for his connection to the seedier side of rabanastre. penelo was a waste but i liked the rest of the cast.

as a main character i found tidus vastly more irritating.

Quote:
Hype and release date by themselves have nothing to do with anything usually, but it took over 5 years to get FFXII. All we got was a crappy abandoned story, crappy abandoned gameplay and shitty characters. Totally not worth the wait. Pick up Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, you can thank me later.
i wasn't waiting for xii with bated breath or anything. i waited until the price dropped before i bought it

those are on 360 aren't they? i don't own one

Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #32
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
VI is overrated... it's not that great.

VIII does indeed have a good story, it just gets too sappy and romantic at times. Faye Wong makes me cringe. I did love the whole time compression aspect and all, though. There's a million ways to interpret the end of the story because they left it so open which is always fun.

IX was mediocre.
8 is basically a high school love story but alot of people are partly into ff for the overblown sentimentality. me, for one.

just saying that 6 and 9 are mediocre without backing it up is dumb though. go on, explain, Gish08.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #33
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Get one. You will not regret it buddy.

As for how you feel about XII, even if you weren't waiting for it, let me post this image to put things in perspective:
http://i26.tinypic.com/2nlssoo.png

It took too long for them to make it because of a bunch of internal problems, and the final result was shit. FFXII is essentially a game that plays itself while you take in the scenery. There is nothing good about this game. It's a pathetic attempt at being an RPG by trying to rip off an MMO -- and failing miserably at it -- while at the same time trying to present a poor excuse for a story with no good characters.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #34
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
8 is basically a high school love story but alot of people are partly into ff for the overblown sentimentality. me, for one.

just saying that 6 and 9 are mediocre without backing it up is dumb though. go on, explain, Gish08.
Only part of the time does it feel like some high school love story. It was executed pretty well, it just got too sappy at times which does hold it back.

VI is overrated by the hardcore fanbase it still has. The battle system is not that great. The story was decent, but I think FF7 outdid it (there are after all a lot of similarities between the two). The pacing was dumb; once you got to the World of Ruin everything got lame.

IX was plagued by a really slllooow battle system and it sadly took away from the enjoyment. The skill system wasn't bad, but the battles themselves were boring. Talk about irony. The story was pretty crappy, and the soundtrack is one of the, if not THE weakest in the series.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #35
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

it doesn't play itself. the player sets the overall party strategy and the game takes care of the tedious repetitious basic tasks. to my mind that's vastly superior to the player having to do both.

anyway this is boring, you keep saying the same things. i found plenty to like; stop telling me what to think

Old 02-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #36
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

XII is so incomplete its not even funny. For instance, the license board. In North America we didn't even get the finished product. The special International edition has the board split up into different classes, if you will, for each character. Softens the blow of the rest of the battle system sucking, and it's better than nothing.

I'm not really telling you what to think, just telling you what *I* think

Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #37
Luke de Spa

the international edition isn't the "complete" version, it's a fleecing product. like the silver version of zeitgeist

Old 02-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #38
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

No it's definitely as complete as the devs could make it. It's like FFX International. Both are superior to the original. Don't kid yourself.

The changes in the license board alone are significant...

Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #39
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:

VI is overrated by the hardcore fanbase it still has. The battle system is not that great. The story was decent, but I think FF7 outdid it (there are after all a lot of similarities between the two). The pacing was dumb; once you got to the World of Ruin everything got lame.
its not perfect or perhaps as immediately playable by today's standards, 6 does take a long time to really get going. and i agree the battles are kindof tiresome. the story might seem kindof unsure of where it was going (the mix between the old-style fantasy and the steampunky futurist elements always felt like kindof an odd pairing to me) and i think kefka is an overrated villain. BUT, all those things aside, 6 still has basically the deepest gameplay of any FF before or since. in terms of stuff like item/magic collection and customizing your party, i don't think any game has got the balance just right better than 6. there's just so much damn treasure and extra bosses and sidequests to keep you entertained for hours, and the fact that it can be kindof slow going just makes it all the more rewarding when you get there.

Quote:
IX was plagued by a really slllooow battle system and it sadly took away from the enjoyment. The skill system wasn't bad, but the battles themselves were boring. Talk about irony. The story was pretty crappy, and the soundtrack is one of the, if not THE weakest in the series.
ok, i agree the gameplay was a bit clunky and far too slow (the Trances took far too long to happen and then you couldn't even keep them for the next fight!) but i think 9 really is the most beautiful game ever made. 8 is closer to my heart but 9 is just genius, it has so much warmth and atmosphere and magic to it. all the characters, places, monsters, everything. kuja was a hilarious and tragic villain, queen brahne was a brilliant parody of queen victoria, it was just perfect and had about the same level of depth gameplay-wise as 6 did. but really, how can you say the soundtrack was the worst? my god man! the flutesy intro tune is just fucking haunting, possibly the best tune i've ever heard- if there was one piece of music i wish i'd written, its that. i admit the battle theme was a boring rehash of the FF6 battle theme but the rest was wonderful. the dark piano for kuja's castle and the black mage village song are especially memorable. the story was great because it did have alot of political intrigue and smoke and mirrors as they say, but the adventure itself was just so so well planned, i thought. the game took you where you needed to go but there was always something new and interesting to discover along the way, and i loved the Active Time thing where you could see the other characters doing stuff off-screen. that added SO much to character development. and it just had such a great sense of humour. 9 is an absolute masterpiece and all the main guys at squaresoft have even said its their favourite.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #40
Banana
Banned

The OoT 2d remake was much cooler, too bad that one got shutdown.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #41
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

??? - you should play Blue Dragon. It's like Dragon Quest (art style, simplistic nature, etc). meets Chrono Trigger/Cross (non-random battles, character designs) meets old school Final Fantasy.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #42
???
Minion of Satan

i'll give it a look but honestly outside of FF i mostly despise RPGs. i hate generic anime-style character designs and the whole cutesy look. whenever i see a game like that, i can almost always tell that the gameplay will be nothing special either. there are really only a few notable exceptions to this- chrono being one, i suppose.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #43
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

well chrono trigger character designs take on the same style, they're just 2D.

And the battle system is like a combination of a bunch of FF's and Chrono. It's cool. I think you will like it.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #44
hnibos
Braindead

i just want to say ff9 has a real warm place in my heart

Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #45
???
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
good for you, son.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #46
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

FFVII and VIII were awesome.

Tactics kicked ass, too! Loved that game.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #47
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

Quote:
??? - you should play Blue Dragon. It's like Dragon Quest (art style, simplistic nature, etc). meets Chrono Trigger/Cross (non-random battles, character designs) meets old school Final Fantasy.
hurray for akira toriyama

i never did get into the dragon quest games because they always seemed too awkward for my tastes

i've had my eye on blue dragon for a while now, though, and with this recommendation, i might just have to buy it

Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #48
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
if i could make this stuff in my bedroom you'd never hear from me again.
rpg maker anyone

Old 03-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #49
jczeroman

Quote:
I like VII best. Sure, the translation was awful, but it's a jrpg. None of them are novels and I liked how FFVII combined its atmosphere/feel with story. Both it and Chrono Trigger are unique in that regard, no other games have ever really had stories (or should I say, experiences) like that.
Yes, this is one of many reasons why these are my two favorite games.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #50
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
Why? I could just never get into this game. It is the only one that I found myself playing less and less and eventually just stopping. This is markedly uncharacteristic of me - as I am the type that generally finishes what I start. What do you find good about this game?

Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #51
hnibos
Braindead

well my opinion is not very valid as im not a hard core gamer but

i found this game even more enjoyable than ff7. it was awhile ago i played it. i remember i thought the main character was a bad ass. and for w/e reason, i just got so caught up in the storyline, didnt the black mage die or something, its inevitable? vivi! thas his name, and he had kids or something? i remember that almost brought tears to my eye.

i thought the system to learn magic was better than ff7, and far betteer than ff8, albeit it might it seem sort of elementary.

it holds a special place in my heart more because of the time frame i was playing it in my life, rather than the game itself.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #52
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
Why? I could just never get into this game. It is the only one that I found myself playing less and less and eventually just stopping. This is markedly uncharacteristic of me - as I am the type that generally finishes what I start. What do you find good about this game?
It was probably the best ending of any of them... though it's not my overall favorite, 6 was definitely the pinnacle for me.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #53
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

FF9 was pretty good, better than 10 or 12, but uh....

well,

you know...

Old 03-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #54
???
Minion of Satan

lol, yeah. the riverdance was ghey as.

colin, seeing as you couldn't be bothered to read my long fanboyish post before, i'll quote it here. these are a couple of reasons why 9 was awesome, so please take them to heart, k:

Quote:
ok, i agree the gameplay was a bit clunky and far too slow (the Trances took far too long to happen and then you couldn't even keep them for the next fight!) but i think 9 really is the most beautiful game ever made. 8 is closer to my heart but 9 is just genius, it has so much warmth and atmosphere and magic to it. all the characters, places, monsters, everything. kuja was a hilarious and tragic villain, queen brahne was a brilliant parody of queen victoria, it was just perfect and had about the same level of depth gameplay-wise as 6 did. but really, how can you say the soundtrack was the worst? my god man! the flutesy intro tune is just fucking haunting, possibly the best tune i've ever heard- if there was one piece of music i wish i'd written, its that. i admit the battle theme was a boring rehash of the FF6 battle theme but the rest was wonderful. the dark piano for kuja's castle and the black mage village song are especially memorable. the story was great because it did have alot of political intrigue and smoke and mirrors as they say, but the adventure itself was just so so well planned, i thought. the game took you where you needed to go but there was always something new and interesting to discover along the way, and i loved the Active Time thing where you could see the other characters doing stuff off-screen. that added SO much to character development. and it just had such a great sense of humour. 9 is an absolute masterpiece and all the main guys at squaresoft have even said its their favourite.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #55
TuralyonW3
Immortal

sounds pretty unnecessary

and for the recorded I loved 7 and 10, 12 was ok but ending was lame

Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #56
saferkefka
Demi-God

oh yay a hacked version of one of the orginal nes ffs....orginal!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #57
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post
as a main character i found tidus vastly more irritating.
oh my god talk about a crybaby.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #58
jczeroman

Quote:
colin, seeing as you couldn't be bothered to read my long fanboyish post before, i'll quote it here. these are a couple of reasons why 9 was awesome, so please take them to heart, k:
I admit, I am a skimmer.

Thanks for the second chance.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #59
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
sounds pretty unnecessary

and for the recorded I loved 7 and 10, 12 was ok but ending was lame
you haven't played 6?

Old 03-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #60
spidrr
Ownz

on the Blue Dragon note, Im a huge FF fan and really appreciate Nobuo Uematsu's composing. Ill save my opinions on each FF, but note my opinion on Blue Dragon.

Im about 5 hours into disc 2, and it's not too bad. The characters are designed by the same dude who did Dragonball Z, and while Im not a fan of Dragonball I find all the characters well designed. The gameplay is very very linear. I havnt yet had the chance to go out on my own and explore difference areas, or really do any side quests, but then again I havnt gotten the airship yet which would allow the majority of this.

The battles are fun, but a bit slow paced. Standard battle command menus. The fun part about the battle system is the classes. Alot like FF5, as well as some others, you have the option to change your class and level up that specific class. You can also equip skills that you gain for each character as you level up your class too which makes for some cool customization.

Alot like Chrono Trigger, you see your enemies on the field, which I prefer tons more than random battles. What I found cool is you have the option to attach skills (gained with leveling up classes) to certain characters that can effect the enemies on the field, such as stun bomb, or barrier which defeats the enemy instantly (but costs 30 mp).

The music is great, but there isnt enough. It seems theres only 2 dungeon themes, one for the more mystical areas and one for the industrial parts. The game spans over 3 DVDs I thought I was going to get more music here. The voice acting is ehh...typical I guess. One of your characters, Marumaru, sounds like a little whiny japanese schoolboy. I wish there was an option to mute his voice alone.

Story is basic...mechanical robots used in an ancient war are being used to attack the world, need to find the dude behind it. blah blah blah.

Its good, so far Id say a solid 7 outta 10. Graphics are really beautiful. Though I find myself trying to rush through this so I can start on Lost Odyssey. But if I didnt like Blue Dragon I would give it up all together.