Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default skateboarding

http://dcsingle.com/sites/default/fi...cy/marge_0.jpg

Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
Bread Regal
Banned

i've always wanted to pick it up my whole life but just never did. i was discouraged by the few times i did try and failed. i'm only really interested in it as a mode of transport. seems a little weird to learn how to do an ollie when you're pushing 30. plus, longboarding on a large patch of fresh asphalt on a slight incline. that just looks so zen to me.

i picked up a 7.5" deck at the pawn shop this weekend for 25 bucks. they had a bunch of longboards there too, but they cost substantially more, which generally seems to be the case. i couldn't tell you what size or material the wheels are, but it's a loud ride and the slightest imperfection in the sidewalk will lead to me eating shit.

right now getting acquainted with how the board feels underneath my feet, and i definitely feel like i'm making progress, but i still have some stability issues. it seems like it doesn't take much for the board to go to either side. are my trucks to loose, or are my calves just weak?

i'm already looking at the idea of sprucing it up a bit, possibly throwing some longboard wheels on it to smooth out the ride. according to the internet this is called a "chode board"

Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

that's tight. i've got a flute heading my way. i'm planning to start lessons in the fall. i was actually only watching three on ebay recently and my dad sent me a text tonight when i was in asl letting me know he bought one of them.

we share my account. he used it once to buy something and eventually just asked me for my password.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
yo soy el mejor

trying things you've thought of doing - some since childhood - is badass.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
Bread Regal
Banned

playing a flute can be super fun. when you finally get the hang of getting a good sound out of the thing, it's a pretty great feeling.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:52 AM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

Sounds like you've gotta tighten your trucks man, it shouldn't be wobbly. If you bought it used you should check out what kind of bearings you're riding on too. A nice set of bearings makes all the difference, especially if you're just using it for transportation.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's never to late to learn some tricks either. Nowadays I mostly just use it for bombing up to the store or whatever, but I still bring it out on the street every now and again, slam some beers and work on some shit.

I'm not nearly as good as I used to be, but I still have a repertoire of shit I can do, and it's cool to be able to maintain it.

Heelflips are something I was never too good at as a kid, but I've been working on em when I've been taking the skate out and I've been getting em down a lot better now at 28 than I did when I was 16. Never too late to learn.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:04 AM   #8
Cool As Ice Cream

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It's never to late to learn some tricks either. Nowadays I mostly just use it for bombing up to the store or whatever, but I still bring it out on the street every now and again, slam some beers and work on some shit.

I'm not nearly as good as I used to be, but I still have a repertoire of shit I can do, and it's cool to be able to maintain it.

Heelflips are something I was never too good at as a kid, but I've been working on em when I've been taking the skate out and I've been getting em down a lot better now at 28 than I did when I was 16. Never too late to learn.
hey look everyone this cunt fuzzyroses thinks skateboarding is cool
you can all put your skateboards away now; he's ruined it for everyone

Old 08-19-2014, 04:07 AM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

Skateboardings fun. And it's nice that it's such a convenient piece of transportation.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #10
Cool As Ice Cream

twat

Old 08-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #11
Cool As Ice Cream

Nowadays I mostly just use it for bombing up to the store or whatever, but I still bring it out on the street every now and again, slam some beers and work on some shit.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
Shallowed
Braindead

I feel ya man. Skateboarding is one of those things that I wish I started on as a child so that I could be an expert at it by the time I was a teenager. It looks so fun to be able to skate and do tricks so easily.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #13
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I used to go to skate parks and try to be an x-treme piece of shit kid but I was too lazy and interested in Diablo 2 and StarCraft.

I'd absolutely buy a longboard today though. They look fun as hell and semi useful as urban transportation.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
Cool As Ice Cream

i've always used "skater" for namecalling. this one skatepunk guy in high school was particularly sensitive to it, so i often came back to it.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

http://i.imgur.com/dTRuEem.jpg

Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
D.
Consume my pants.

My brother got a long board. Looks fun but I'm too much of a suckerbutt to even get on one.

I picked up the biking thing recently and that shit is fuuuun. Exercise while seeing your city in a way you probably wouldn't in a car.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #17
Mooney
Socialphobic

Old 08-20-2014, 01:35 AM   #18
noyen
Immortal

cool, do it. I find it zen as fuck. I started skateboarding when I was 8. I was semi pro by 15. Stopped when I was 18 because of geography/a move and then started long boarding some point in my early 30's. About two months ago before I got a second degree burn on my calf I did a 1600+ft drop over 4 miles down a mountain into the valley of SLC. I've been depressed as fuck since I haven't been able to board for about 5 weeks because of my injury. I can see myself skateboarding as a much older man. I find long boarding a godsend because I just don't have the skills I did when I was younger to be doing too many tricks. I'm at the same risk if not more of serious injury because I like the thrill of taking my longboards on steep road drops. I hope I can heal soon to start doing leisurely surf style rides around the park to get into shape again before winter.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:37 AM   #19
noyen
Immortal

I really want one of the new electric powered longboards though they cost 2000. But going up hill at 20mph sounds amazing with no effort. Www.boostedboards.com - I don't like the style though. I prefer the old yardstick style extended street decks that aren't as low and more traditional shaped like a street or freestyle skateboard. I have two. Had three at one time. I should prolly stop talking.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i'm so scared of hurting myself it's insane

Old 08-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #21
noyen
Immortal

Oh and I highly recommend ceramic bearings and nice soft wheels. Twice size of regular boards. Makes a difference in how.smooth ride is. And tighten your trucks then break them in a bit. Too loose you'll die. Get some gloves or duct tape rocks to your hands and practice slides too.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 AM   #22
noyen
Immortal

I hope I die on my skateboard. Probably will. I want omega concern to post conspiracies about it too.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

how did you get burned? :/

Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #24
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
I really want one of the new electric powered longboards though they cost 2000. But going up hill at 20mph sounds amazing with no effort. Www.boostedboards.com - I don't like the style though. I prefer the old yardstick style extended street decks that aren't as low and more traditional shaped like a street or freestyle skateboard. I have two. Had three at one time. I should prolly stop talking.
This is the future I always wanted. That thing looks splendid.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #25
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
how did you get burned? :/
someone high on painkillers in my family set a charcoal chimney starter directly on the ground behind me while I was bbqing on July 4th. I backed into it. I have a 4 inch long triangular burn with the worst part at the top. 2nd degree burns are more painful than 1st or 3rd. About 2 weeks in it got.infected. for four weeks I was in constant million bee stings/needle stabbing pain. I couldn't afford seeing a doctor until it got really bad. When I finally went in I got 3 days worth of painkillers and antibiotics. It's just barely started to heal. I think most painful thing in my life, topping getting my tongue.pierced twice (a venom) and getting my conches pierced in each ear. I think those two things were incredibly painful full too. The doctor I saw took.her thumbs to the worst part of burn and pressed hard all the way to bone (to gauge infection). I screamed out, then cried, then started laughing, then passed out after seeing stars and couldn't breathe. when I came to I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying for about 30 minutes.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #26
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
This is the future I always wanted. That thing looks splendid.
I know right the specs on it are amazing. the price is alienating meaning pretty much only rich pro skaters or privileged white peoples will get to ride them and not soul surfers like me ;( could get a nice used motorcycle for 2000.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #27
Bread Regal
Banned

guys, i bought a pair of longboards on craigslist for $80 and i fucking love them. i will be gifting one to my nephew as a belated birthday present, because he's just getting into skateboarding himself and just moved to a very hilly part of central florida.

the stabilization issues for me have gone away and the frustration level has all but disappeared. i'm surprised at how easy it is to catch onto it. now it's just plain fun. i love it. more than i thought i would.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #28
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
someone high on painkillers in my family set a charcoal chimney starter directly on the ground behind me while I was bbqing on July 4th. I backed into it. I have a 4 inch long triangular burn with the worst part at the top. 2nd degree burns are more painful than 1st or 3rd. About 2 weeks in it got.infected. for four weeks I was in constant million bee stings/needle stabbing pain. I couldn't afford seeing a doctor until it got really bad. When I finally went in I got 3 days worth of painkillers and antibiotics. It's just barely started to heal. I think most painful thing in my life, topping getting my tongue.pierced twice (a venom) and getting my conches pierced in each ear. I think those two things were incredibly painful full too. The doctor I saw took.her thumbs to the worst part of burn and pressed hard all the way to bone (to gauge infection). I screamed out, then cried, then started laughing, then passed out after seeing stars and couldn't breathe. when I came to I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying for about 30 minutes.
damn man im sorry

Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #29
yo soy el mejor

sick.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #30
yo soy el mejor

how's the board treating you?

i know it's early in the game and someone may have asked already, but are you doing this for practical transportation reasons with the added benefit of fun or are you hoping to get some tricks up your sleeve? like, will you be outside some days after work practicing ollies on the sidewalk?