Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #181
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I must've missed that version of Zeitgeist. Which store got Gossamer as the bonus track? Was it Brookstone? Arby's? I can't remember now.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #182
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

http://i68.tinypic.com/2j2cbcn.gif

Old 01-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #183
redbreegull

Bleeding The Orchid
Tarantula
That's the Way
US
Neverlost
Ma Belle

that's a pretty good chunk of songs right there. I would say there are maybe 4 others that fall into the range of mediocre all the way through to at least having a few really cool moments.

At the bottom of course is drivel like For God and Country, but I really think that in fair consideration, Zeitgeist is significantly stronger than anything else SP2 has done
Z the song
Stellar

Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #184
ilikeplanets
Braindead

7 Rocks of Crack is so bad

Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #185
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I actually really hate Tarantula, too.

I think I'd rather listen to Oceania than Zeitgeist. But Not MTAE. I'll just kindly forget they all exist, honestly.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #186
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I must've missed that version of Zeitgeist. Which store got Gossamer as the bonus track? Was it Brookstone? Arby's? I can't remember now.
Close, it was the Wendy's copy. It came with a bonus Chicago Songs DVD, but my copy was ruined by fry grease.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #187
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
This guy gets it.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #188
FoolofaTook

https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...972244/yep.jpg

Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 AM   #189
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I previously thought Oceania was better than it actually is as well, I think because getting Oceania after 2009-2011 was like getting a drink of water after wandering in the desert for years

This is spot on. I was so happy when Oceania came out. My expectations were sky high because the tour they did a few months before the album dropped was also very good, and the songs from they debuted from Oceania sounded... at least moderately comfortable and sometimes even excitingly good next to the classic cuts they played from Gish, Pisces, and Siamese Dream. I was desperate to declare that my favorite band was back, and I did everything I could to see the best in Oceania. I listened to that record every day in my break between classes that summer, and I even convinced myself that it was my third favorite Pumpkins record for a while. But I remember I also didn't really feel like telling anyone about Oceania, which is kinda odd for me. I just got the feeling people wouldn't like it as much as me, and I wasn't sure why.

Then more releases I was interested in came out, I had less time to make for Oceania, and I just kinda forgot about it for a really long time. It was really odd: I would go through Pumpkins binges and just not feel any inclination to listen to Oceania, even though I continued thinking of Oceania as some kind of return to form. I don't think I really listened to it again until after Shiny came out. I was so disappointed when it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I remembered. The first adjective that comes to mind is tepid. As an album, it works better than Zeitgeist, Monuments, or Shiny. But each of those records have multiple songs that top anything on Oceania. Or at least sound better than anything on Oceania. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but so much of Oceania sounds bloated. The heavy guitars sound like farts, the drums like blown-out balloons. The synths are cheap and meandering. Many of the songs are more or less good, but they're never great; none are executed with precision. The band just kind of sounds washed up and inoffensive to the point of blandness. The album takes zero risks. It's an "epic" album that colors by the numbers in boring, light colors. BUT! it does have a feeling of cohesion that the others lack.

For that reason, I don't really think it's a truly bad album. It's merely an okay album. And in some lights, its almost less likable for that reason. It feels exhausted. It's really similar to Soundgarden's King Animal to me.

But yeah. It's a fucking perfect ten off the heels of the Teargarden nightmare. that's how fucking bad that "album" was.