he playing live shows right up till last year

Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

guy was a first class player too

Old 03-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Chuck Berry was alive?

Old 03-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
he playing live shows right up till last year
yea every time another musician died i thought... and chuck berry is still playing shows

Old 03-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Chuck Berry once opened a restaurant called The Southern Air in Missouri. According to a former waitress, Berry wired the women’s toilets with a video camera and recorded some two hundred unsuspecting patrons using it. Charges were dropped when Berry agreed to compensate the victims of his “potty cam” financially.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

yeah lets celebrate this guy

Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson View Post
yea every time another musician died i thought... and chuck berry is still playing shows
Jerry Lee is still alive. The most pilled out and boozed out hellraiser is literally the last man standing.

Quote:
Jerry Lee Lewis vs. Chuck Berry

Fightin' Words: "You're on, Chuck." (Lewis)

That's what the original Killer allegedly said to fellow future Hall of Famer, Chuck Berry, at the legendary '50s show that both wanted to close. After much debate, the promoter convinced Lewis to go on first. He played one of the wildest sets of his career, finishing by dousing his piano with gasoline and setting it aflame. With sirens blaring and the crowd in delirium, he calmly delivered his three-word kiss-off: "You're on, Chuck." (Or, as a Lewis biography claims, a less charitable version that ended with the n-word.)

Judges' Decision: Jerry Lee Lewis, no contest
My research shows Jerry to snarl "Follow that, n****r"

Old 03-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
slunken
Virgo

if you want to see the video of chuck farting on a hooker you can watch a gif here https://gfycat.com/FineMarvelousGoldfish

Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
The Omega Concern
Banned

A complete showman and one of the pioneers of distorted guitar. He'd overdrive a cheap valve amp and would poke holes in the speakers to dirty up the sound.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
and would poke holes in the speakers to dirty up the sound.
that was link wray

Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #14
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Jerry Lee is still alive. The most pilled out and boozed out hellraiser is literally the last man standing.

My research shows Jerry to snarl "Follow that, n****r"
Yea, i've heard that story. Though it's hard to validate, one can see it being true. To play devils advocate though, both Jerry Lee and Chuck Berry were pretty confident, self important people (cough billy cough) and Lewis played with a lot of black musicians, I can't imagine he meant it anymore than how one would say, "Good luck, asshole, I am the shit."

Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #15
slunken
Virgo

i ride pretty hard for this early b-side.

love how it was the other side of the song "school days"

chuck so dirty

Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #16
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I can't imagine he meant it anymore than how one would say, "Good luck, asshole, I am the shit."
For sure. I didn't mean to imply there was any overt racism going on. it's just a great story.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #17
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
For sure. I didn't mean to imply there was any overt racism going on. it's just a great story.
yea, my fav celebrity take down of all time is dylan asking donovan to play a song, and then playing it's all over now baby blue directly after him, all on camera. And it was all so polite it made the burn that much worse.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #18
slunken
Virgo

this is probably my favorite single of his

good god chuck love them little teenies

Old 03-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #19
slunken
Virgo

remember when rock and roll was dangerous?

remember when comedy was allowed to be dangerous?

Old 03-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #20
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
yea, my fav celebrity take down of all time is dylan asking donovan to play a song, and then playing it's all over now baby blue directly after him, all on camera. And it was all so polite it made the burn that much worse.
do you have a link or source from this? i've been boning up on dylan recently and just remember the scene from some press conference where he kind of shrugs off donovan. I think there was also a shrug off scene in "dont look back". i recall though the 2nd time he visited england there was some kind of heat between the two but can't recall the exact details. i sold the book i read about it.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #21
slunken
Virgo

gotta get after them young girls

Old 03-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #22
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
that was link wray
yah. he was first. chuck did it too. so did Keith Richards for that matter on Satisfaction.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #23
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
remember when rock and roll was dangerous?

remember when comedy was allowed to be dangerous?

Comedy? Maybe not on college campi. Unless you mean that Anthony Jeselnik bit where he'd throw a Shark Party for every time a shark ate a person that made the news. That was his ill-fated t.v. show though, dude pushes a unique edge with his stand-up.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #24
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
do you have a link or source from this? i've been boning up on dylan recently and just remember the scene from some press conference where he kind of shrugs off donovan. I think there was also a shrug off scene in "dont look back". i recall though the 2nd time he visited england there was some kind of heat between the two but can't recall the exact details. i sold the book i read about it.
fast forward a minute, donovan plays a little bit of a decent song, then dylan slays and stares at donovan the whole time. I *think* both songs were unreleased at the time. The first minute dylan is just being an ass to donovan's crew.

edit: actually the video doesn't show that dylan was staring at donovan. I had read somewhere that he was but doesn't seem to be true for that performance anyway. He keeps staring off to the left (his right) but donovan is sitting on the opposite side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqAhF6i9H4

Last edited by lawson : 03-18-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
yah. he was first. chuck did it too. so did Keith Richards for that matter on Satisfaction.
can't find any sources for chuck or keith distorting their speakers in any manner. by the time satisfaction came out, real fuzz pedals were available.

chuck just recorded with overdriven amps. any source on him playing live with jacked up speakers?

Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #26
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
fast forward a minute, donovan plays a little bit of a decent song, then dylan slays and stares at donovan the whole time. I *think* both songs were unreleased at the time. The first minute dylan is just being an ass to donovan's crew.

edit: actually the video doesn't show that dylan was staring at donovan. I had read somewhere that he was but doesn't seem to be true for that performance anyway. He keeps staring off to the left (his right) but donovan is sitting on the opposite side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqAhF6i9H4
yea that vids from "don't look back" isn't it? from what i've seen/read, any idea of any kind of feud between the two was just hyped up nonsense.

i mean of course if you were touring in some other country and were partying in your hotel and everyone said "hey here's this other guy who's amazing" you might be a bit stiff about it just in an egotistical sense but aside from that scene, dylan went on to say how great donovan was.

i'm certainly not a gigantic dylan fan so i don't feel like i'm making excuses here.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #27
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
f He keeps staring off to the left (his right) but donovan is sitting on the opposite side.
to be fair its easier to actually listen to performed music by not staring at the performer

Old 03-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #28
slunken
Virgo

As I mentioned, from what I read there was no feud between the two. Not even a clashing. Just two dudes doing two different things that didn't effect one another at all (except for maybe which chick to fuck that night).

Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 AM   #29
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
yea that vids from "don't look back" isn't it? from what i've seen/read, any idea of any kind of feud between the two was just hyped up nonsense.

i mean of course if you were touring in some other country and were partying in your hotel and everyone said "hey here's this other guy who's amazing" you might be a bit stiff about it just in an egotistical sense but aside from that scene, dylan went on to say how great donovan was.

i'm certainly not a gigantic dylan fan so i don't feel like i'm making excuses here.
Yea I mean there were a lot of people being touted as the next dylan at the time. But it would take a lot of digging to find if that was really true. I think its easier to say that we know for sure that they were looking for the next nirvana because we lived it, but I have a new york times reprint I bought of all the beatles articles from the first few years, and they constantly slam them, so who knows what was really going on then. Dylan was on the surface really nice to Donovan and a dick to everyone else in don't look back, so maybe more is being made of it.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #30
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

lol