Apocalyptic Poster

pink floyd kind of sucks huh

Old 07-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #92
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Aliens -

so, this series has been super jumbled for me. i think i actually half-assedly watched the third one first, just caught it on tv. and a few years later i watched the original, from 1979, and was floored by how amazing it was. this one kind of slipped through the cracks, maybe because the two are only distinguishable by one S in the title, and when i realized James Cameron was at the helm i even got excited, seeing as Terminator 2 is one of my all time favs, always and forever.

well, to start off, i guess it's not bad. it's definitely a Cameron movie. it's got a lot of punchy action sequences, an emotional core, campy mid-80's badass talk, what more can you ask? well, not much i guess, just not in an Alien movie. i know it's highly revered, but i was actually really disappointed in how much the blockbuster action approach killed most of what was great about the first movie.

i mean, the first movie was based on slow paced horror, and painstakingly established the Alien character as this indestructible creature from the depths of hell, and along comes Big Balls Cameron and turns them into hordes of expendable collateral damage. the entire first film told the story about how impossible it was to deal with one of them, and made it visceral and terrifying, and this movie just made light of all that. especially with the 80's A-Team with the awful Bill Paxton, who essentially plays the character of Michaelangelo from TMNT here.

sure, it was definitely much more impressive when it came out in '86, and the campy tough talk and very unsubtle establishing of characters is a good showcase of cinema traits that have evolved over the years, but more than anything else i just didn't agree with the stylistic choices made here. it was still entertaining and kinda fun though.

i was also surprised to see how much james cameron ripped off elements from Terminator films and shoved them here! i may be too big a Terminator nerd but i literally know every single shot from these movies and he legit ripped some of them off here (the electrical disturbances in the ship, the way the child goes down that big metal wheel in the final act, etc). sigh
Hope to see this great thread continue whenever u get a chance to see flicks

Wanted to reply re the terminator; was recently geeking on the Alien universe after having more fun with Alien: Isolation than just about any video game I ever played. Read that Cameron was a big big fan of the original Alien and viewed his work on Terminator as a "dry run" for doing an Alien sequel, and was actually writing for Aliens while shooting Terminator

Old 07-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #93
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

is that referring to T1 or T2 though?

Old 07-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #94
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Jackie Brown - 1997

this is one of those tarantino films i'd been meaning to watch for ages. reading about it years back and catching the phrase "homage to blaxploitation films" i was like yeah no. but recently i think i caught an article that stated this tarantino's best film or something.

well, for starters, it's not.

it's strangely out of phase with his other works. there's a noticeable shift in tone, which in retrospect makes a lot of sense, because this is his only screenplay in his filmography that he'd adapted (from a novel), rather than writing it from scratch by himself.

anyway, seeing as this is one of his "homage" films, it has that (obligatory) intentionally cheap, lo-fi, flawed 70's style to it. when QT pops up the black ppl disco music though, it's definitely one of those moments where his self indulgence overpowers his pure artistic vision. it's nice to give out a nod or holla at some movie you dig, but modelling an entire film after a flawed genre from the 70's is a bit redundant. especially if you're coming off a fucking masterpiece like Pulp Fiction.

but, say what you will about the man - he knows how to write his dialogues. even though the film is lacking in other departments, and is in some ways tarantino's least delicate work (at least imo) - there are still those highly memorable moments or classic lines, both in writing and performance. namely, the scenes samuel jackson shares with chris tucker, robert de niro (the latter's final scene is the highlight of this movie for me) and even pam grier. when it's good, it's highly entertaining.

a weak point though, is the casting, which i thought was very strange, especially for a dude like tarantino, whose casting is usually right on the money. i mean, michael keaton as a cop trying to nail jackie brown? and DE NIRO? you got motha-fuckin' 90's robert de niro, and you give him the part of the total knucklehead who barely even talks the entire movie? he still aced his part, of course, but he felt so underused in this. their only collaboration - a real shame.

i read that tarantino said that it's one of those movies where the actual interactions and characters hanging out is what matters, because it's the kind of movie you should be able to watch, and enjoy, at least a dozen times. i have a feeling in that regard, it's a total success, as it has a good share of those moments. but as a whole piece, and considering how pretty much all of tarantino's works have such moments, i'd say this one doesn't rank particularly high on his back catalogue.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #95
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Trying to find value in anything Tarantino did after Pulp Fiction is kind of like talking about how the Song for a Son solo is actually pretty good when you ignore the rest of the song.

Even his speech in Sleep with Me probably outranks his entire post-nineties catalogue of works and it is largely believed that Roger "James Iha" Avary wrote it.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:20 AM   #96
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i agree Pulp Fiction is his best, by far. but some of his stuff has redeeming qualities. it's not all shit.

also, i never even knew about that Sleep with Me speech. am now informed. imdb does say James wrote Soma all on his own after splitting up with D'arcy.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #97
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Nah all his stuff is pretty entertaining. Pulp fiction is his only masterpiece though (basterds was close but one too many subpar elements amongst the greatness)

Old 07-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #98
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Deadpool -

i kinda cut off watching comic book movies after they became hyper-obvious cash reward sluts for sniveling money hungry ballsack grubbing g-men from the hollywood factory. it was on the plane from my flight back home ( ) but i was too distraught by foul neighbouring passenger breath and other ailments, so. here we are.

i don't really know why i write these expository paragraphs. my reviews are probably getting ridiculously tldr-ish and nobody reads them but this is my shitty ass craft and i ain't changing it for nobody for no commercial success. burn out than fade away mo-fo. yeah ok sorry here we go.

alright so yeah, i had no idea about deadpool or who he was. he's probably on the outskirts of the x-men universe or somethin' cause i was a huge fan when i was a kid. i was delightfully surprised to find out how beautifully ironic, violent and wisecracking this movie is.

the entire opening sequence (and credits) is ridiculously entertaining, funny, action-packed and violent. but unfortunately, somewhere along the way it kind of drops off, and starts getting too chatty, too wisecracking, it starts to sound like a goddamn gilmore girls episode. everyone is ever so witty and cynical and sophisticated oh shut the fuck up already for a second.

another significant downside, is the overly formulatic and predictable plot. i mean, for a movie that self aware, no matter how much it pokes fun at itself - you gotta deliver something more.

on the upsides: genuinely funny writing. i literally lol'd at least 5-6 times, and that's good for any movie in my book. nice and refreshing constant breaking of the fourth wall. a good measure of some of that old ultraviolence. comic book fights always feel sterile to me without it, as it's usually so kiddie-oriented. this hit the spot.

all in all, entertaining and funny, even if it ultimately falls a bit short.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #99
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Inglorious Basterds fucking sucks. sorry not sorry.

it is actually so bad that each time I have seen it I have wondered if Tarantino is satirizing his own fan base and they aren't in on the joke

Old 07-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #100
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

excluding the opening scene with Hans the nazi guy terrorizing the milkman, i absolutely did not get Inglorious Basterds. like, found it completely boring and couldn't even make it all the way through in one go. i just assumed it was me who didn't get it. still intend to give it another go sometime.

i mean i got criticisms about tarantino but i'm not one to rag on him. he's obviously never lived up to his fullest potential after Pulp Fiction, but he did make some wildly entertaining films and pioneered a particular style of dialogue writing, if not anything else.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #101
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The opening scene in Basterds was just sort of cruel in that it led me to thinking that I had just locked in on a worthwhile cinematic experience. Being lulled into a false sense of security like that may have made the rest feel even worse than it was, though I'd still give it an overall rating of terrible out of shit.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #102
redbreegull

I'm actually shocked I've found two other people in the whole world who didn't like this movie.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #103
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I enjoyed Inglorious Basterds, but it helps that I have low expectations of Tarantino post-Pulp Fiction. I actually preferred (and still prefer) Resevoir Dogs to Pulp Fiction anyway so Pulp Fiction was where he jumped the shark, for me.

Just the other night watched the Hateful Eight.

I enjoyed it conceptually, the journey through the snow, and picking up travellers, and the cabin in the middle of nowhere. And how the bulk of the action took place on one set. It was like a play, and I liked that. But I still wish he'd move on from the monologue-dialogue thing, and the everyone dying at the end thing. I did enjoy a couple of satisfying splatter moments.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 PM   #104
redbreegull

Reservoir Dogs is almost on the same level as Pulp Fiction to me. Pulp Fiction has become kind of untouchable because of its iconic status in pop culture.

I watched Django recently and thought it was pretty good... wouldn't say it was excellent though, and like many Tarantino films it has a great setup that fails to go anywhere special.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #105
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I think I was odd in that I watched Reservoir Dogs first, before Pulp Fiction. I rented it and watched it like 5 times over when I was off school and supposed to be studying for my physics exam and thought it was the most perfect movie I'd ever seen. So I didn't expect him ever to top that and he never has. So that makes all his other movies easier to like, in a way. I was 15 then, so obviously my tastes have changed.

And nothing he does can realistically be worse than Kill Bill, shit, that was some of the most boring film making I've ever had the displeasure to waste my life watching.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #106
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I've always preferred Reservoir Dogs, too. Not by any sort of a huge margin, but by a margin nonetheless.

The Hateful Eight was seriously poor writing, but I've already contributed a lengthy rant on that subject. You just failed out of your course for enjoying that abortion.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:20 AM   #107
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It seems like poor reasoning to enjoy one film more purely for its status with the wider audience.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:23 AM   #108
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I've always preferred Reservoir Dogs, too. Not by any sort of a huge margin, but by a margin nonetheless.

The Hateful Eight was seriously poor writing, but I've already contributed a lengthy rant on that subject. You just failed out of your course for enjoying that abortion.
Anything after Kill Bill is enjoyable to me, tbh, just because at least it's not Kill Bill

Old 07-20-2016, 12:26 AM   #109
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
It seems like poor reasoning to enjoy one film more purely for its status with the wider audience.
It's also probably not possible to totally disconnect one's own personal feelings about something as they might exist in a theoretical vacuum from context including status with the wider audience.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #110
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I suppose there are herd animals to consider, but I wouldn't have thought this would apply to a thinking individual. When emerging from the theatre, for example, I don't tend to check with my fellow cinema-goers as to whether it was good or not.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #111
redbreegull

not many of us are old enough to have seen pulp fiction in theaters bud

Old 07-20-2016, 12:44 AM   #112
buzzard
Minion of Satan

My use of "for example" was, surprisingly enough, quite intentional.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #113
redbreegull

you're probably trolling but it's pretty silly to believe you can actually isolate your brain in some kind of psychological quiet room to appreciate art in a vacuum without being influenced by myriad contextual factors and foreknowledge which will color your experience

and sticking with seeing a movie from 20 years ago, since that was what we were talking about, it would be fairly difficult for someone to watch Pulp Fiction and not have been exposed at all to the hype surrounding the movie at least to some degree. I mean do you know anyone who has never heard of Pulp Fiction

Last edited by redbreegull : 07-20-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:57 AM   #114
buzzard
Minion of Satan

If "being influenced by myriad contextual factors and foreknowledge which will color your experience" is extended to mean taking taste cues from the wider audience to such an extent that you prefer one great film over another because of "its iconic status in pop culture," then I'm sticking to my position.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 AM   #115
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The Taylor Swift thing makes a lot more sense, now.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:44 AM   #116
redbreegull

I started to like Taylor Swift ironically, but as these things tend to do, it became a true affection. 1989 is legitimately a great pop album.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:48 AM   #117
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I mean do you know anyone who has never heard of Pulp Fiction
so, yeah, funny story.
just a couple of weeks ago, during some launch party or whatever it was (where Tarantino was also present I believe - he has an Israeli girlfriend), THE MINISTER OF CULTURE in israel, i shit you not, was asked by an interviewer, on video: "so, do you know Quentin's works?"

and she's like, "why, of course, yes, of course i do!"

interviewer: "which one's your favorite?"

then her response was literally like this:

"wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute .............."

*somebody from behind her whispers "Pulp Fiction!"*

"PULP FICTION. you see, i remembered!"

interviewer: "what was your favorite part about it?"

THE MINISTER OF CULTURE IN THIS FUCKING SHITHOLE: "you know, the direction.... the acting... the complex relationships between men and women...."

i would fucking post it here if you guys understood hebrew. it's just incredible and so horribly depressing.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 AM   #118
vixnix
Socialphobic

Gosh I would love to sympathise, but this is our current Minister for the Arts in Australia:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...10-gmr3u5.html

Old 07-20-2016, 04:25 AM   #119
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

well you still get to live in Australia though

i wish i was at least brazilian so that in my old age i could apply for a visa and tend to someone's garden for a measly, humiliating sum.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #120
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
so, yeah, funny story.
just a couple of weeks ago, during some launch party or whatever it was (where Tarantino was also present I believe - he has an Israeli girlfriend), THE MINISTER OF CULTURE in israel, i shit you not, was asked by an interviewer, on video: "so, do you know Quentin's works?"

and she's like, "why, of course, yes, of course i do!"

interviewer: "which one's your favorite?"

then her response was literally like this:

"wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute .............."

*somebody from behind her whispers "Pulp Fiction!"*

"PULP FICTION. you see, i remembered!"

interviewer: "what was your favorite part about it?"

THE MINISTER OF CULTURE IN THIS FUCKING SHITHOLE: "you know, the direction.... the acting... the complex relationships between men and women...."

i would fucking post it here if you guys understood hebrew. it's just incredible and so horribly depressing.
lololo