Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #61
Shallowed
Braindead

Did those friends of yours that were recruited through Linkedin apply for those jobs first, or were they approached?

Every job website I have used gives the option of uploading a CV and a profile so prospective employers can gauge you without bothering with going through the job listing process, possibly approaching you if they feel you could be suitable, but I've never been approached.

Among the sea of Linkedin users that are more qualified than I am, I don't feel like I'm any more likely to be approached through Linkedin than I am through any other website. Responding to job listings or cold calling a company myself at least narrows down my competition to those who apply.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #62
Eulogy
huh

Guys I think we need Juliana's expertise here

Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #63
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Did those friends of yours that were recruited through Linkedin apply for those jobs first, or were they approached?
wow you don't even know what recruited means but you're still an expert. no, go ahead.

(by the way your linkedin profile = your CV)

Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #64
Shallowed
Braindead

My CV is a document that I wrote, a Linkedin profile is what Linkedin wants my CV to be.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #65
Trotskilicious
Banned

well you're the expert, not knowing what "recruiting" means

Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

your cv is precious too, you shouldn't ever change it

i mean the formatting is your passion

Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #67
Shallowed
Braindead

I have multiple CVs depending on what type of job I'm applying for.

So from what I'm gathering from your minimal and typically sarcastic responses is that your friends were approached by someone through Linkedin, and it could happen to me too if I put time into my Linkedin profile, as opposed to any other job site that offers a profile.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #68
Trotskilicious
Banned

your responses are chock full of know-it-all little kid syndrome

all i'm really saying is stop being so fucking convinced that if you don't understand or know anything about it, it must not be worth any time

why hamstring yourself in any way, register on all the job sites, create profiles on all the social job networks

who exactly are you trying to impress

Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #69
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
your responses are chock full of know-it-all little kid syndrome

all i'm really saying is stop being so fucking convinced that if you don't understand or know anything about it, it must not be worth any time

why hamstring yourself in any way, register on all the job sites, create profiles on all the social job networks

who exactly are you trying to impress
I never claim to be an expert or know everything about this shit, I'm only talking about my experiences and my impressions. That much should be obvious without me prefacing everything I post with "in my experience". I did use the words "seems like", yes that really seems like the kind of language one would use when they're totally 100% convinced about something and couldn't be swayed by an asshole on the internet that never is "really saying" anything to him without being a massive patronising jerk to him first.

And the reason why I'm not on all of the job websites just comes back to my original comment, it just feels more productive applying for jobs myself than it does creating and maintaining an online profile and still not getting any leads from that avenue.

Actually I lie, I did once get a lead, there was a guy who was in a band I once recorded who sent me a message asking me how I'm going and linked me to some of his new music. I responded commenting on his music and asked for his Facebook and/or phone number and I never heard from him again. Apparently he doesn't check his Linkedin often and the email he provided on his profile is a work related email, the inbox of which is filled with unread automated job search and Linkedin shit. I later found that out when I happened to find him on Facebook. He's based in a different part of the country now.

But it's good that your friends got picked out by someone on Linkedin. I do like the idea of a job finding me and not the other way around, despite being told by everyone that a job won't just fall into my lap. Unless you're already working in the field. I work in a bakery and want to work in the audio industry, the only way I figure I can get an audio job through my current field is to probe customers who mention in passing that they work at blah blah radio station or blah blah TV network and impress them with my customer service. As they say, it's easier to get a job once when you've already got a job and I have seen for myself the leverage it can provide. Otherwise I could always go from front-of-house to a trainee baker position.

Sorry if that last bit came off as too "know-it-all" but I do welcome any ideas.

Last edited by Shallowed : 03-28-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #70
Shallowed
Braindead

Perhaps where I went wrong with Linkedin is not showing enough interest for BBQ invites. Social media expert Juliana, what do you think?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #71
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

that was vixnix being all stupid about linkedin. that's not to say drooliana isn't a total blowhard.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #72
Shallowed
Braindead

Oh I know but she is a social media expert after all, she said so herself, that's gotta be at least doubley experty than anyone who doesn't claim to be an expert.

Not that I'm an expert on experts, I should make that expertly clear.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #73
Trotskilicious
Banned

shallowed i know it's from "your experience" but you have very little of it

i mean if you're still primarily doing walk ins then you haven't exactly entered the professional sphere

Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #74
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
who has a professional job
What would be an unprofessional job, then?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:27 AM   #75
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
shallowed i know it's from "your experience" but you have very little of it

i mean if you're still primarily doing walk ins then you haven't exactly entered the professional sphere
If there's one thing I can't pretend to be, it's a highly experienced professional.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #76
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
What would be an unprofessional job, then?
I guess it depends on the skill level, training and experience needed to do the job...

So I guess being a dishwasher, general labourer, cleaner - I'm a child and family worker and don't consider myself a professional. You don't need any training or any particular skills to do my job.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #77
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

hello my name is vance kendrickson and i am looking to establish the contract worth millions of dollars

Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #78
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

please endorse me for the following skills (type skills here if any) and we will get the ball rolling as they say

Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #79
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

friday night drinks, more like friday night thinks am i correcto?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #80
Trotskilicious
Banned

*puts on the two princes*

Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 AM   #81
barden
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
That's what it was, she was also topless, covering her nipples with her hands.

Which reminds me of another weird anomaly of Western culture surrounding the nipple. A topless female can be broadcast on TV with stickers covering her nipples and areola and it's not considered nudity, but as soon as they are revealed, everyone loses their minds.

I'd like to see the reactions to a woman wearing a full-body burqa, but with two holes cut out to expose just their nipples.
BRO CAN YOU SHOW ME THIS PICTURE, I NEED IT FOR SOME RESEARCH INTO UH BREAST CANCER, I'M BEING FUNDED BY LIKES ON FACEBOOK RIGHT NOW SO I JUST WANNA GIVE A BIG SHOUTOUT FOR ALL THE HARD WORK.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #82
barden
Braindead

the nature of breast cancer awareness is that with this kind of exposure soon everyone will be aware of it, i suggest changing the title of the image to 'I dont just LIKE pictures of topless lesbian family friends, I LOVE them!' and then science can roll around in that sweet sweet fb likes $$. Its digital a bit like bitcoin dont worry it's all science stuff.