Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Default For those of you who have had good experiences with therapy, talk to me

I have struggled with depression since I was about 10 years old and when I was 15 I was made to go to a therapist because it reached a stage of self harm. I had a bad experience, all they wanted me to do was take medication, and the therapist tried to convince me all my problems could be traced back to my parents, which I disagree with.

I am now two months shy of 19, and I have become severely depressed again. In August I came out of a year long relationship with a girl, and my year with her was the only time in my recent life that I can ever remember being completely happy all the time. She moved to Costa Rica for college and refused to do the long distance relationship thing. Since I have fallen into a deep depression. Sometimes I feel too down to get out of bed in the morning. This wasn't my first breakup and as much as it hurt in the beginning I expected it to go away over time. It has actually gotten worse. Every day for the past three and a half months I have felt worse. I have been miserable every day. It has gotten to the point where I think about suicide a lot, and even though I don't think I have the guts to actually kill myself, I really do want to die a lot of the time.

Please talk to me about good experiences with therapy and whether you think it could work for me, because at this point I don't know what else to do.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I had sex with my therapist

Old 12-21-2007, 02:56 AM   #3
TuralyonW3
Immortal

also are you in college?

Old 12-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
TuralyonW3
Immortal

also you need to become bitter

Old 12-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
I'm Hardcore
Banned

also do you do dp

Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
TuralyonW3
Immortal

also that woody woodpecker av doesn't seem like you're depressed

Old 12-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #7
redbreegull

I am in community college.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #8
Eulogy
huh

if your goal is to be completely happy all the time then i think you're being unrealistic

Old 12-21-2007, 03:00 AM   #9
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull
find scholarships if you need them and get yourself to a 4-year school. move out. change of scenery.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #10
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy
find scholarships if you need them and get yourself to a 4-year school. move out. change of scenery.
I have absolutely hated everything of college I have seen. I visited University of Maryland (College Park and Baltimore campuses) with some friends and also St. Mary's which is a tiny little honors college on the shore in MD, and I have just hated everything I have seen. I hate the people, I hate the thought of living with someone else.

Also, I cannot afford to pay for college and neither can my parents

Old 12-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #11
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
what Eulogy said. Community college is inherently depressing and everyone there is depressed. Go to a 4-year ASAP and you will fall in with folks and do substances and be happy.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #12
Irridescent Fairysex
glug glug glug

I'm thinking about getting a therapist, a psychologist. I'm currently seeing a shrink and while he's capable and a prominent doctor, our outlooks on life are very different. I'm basically using him to get the meds I need and I only have to see him once a month or less.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 AM   #13
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
I have absolutely hated everything of college I have seen. I visited University of Maryland (College Park and Baltimore campuses) with some friends and also St. Mary's which is a tiny little honors college on the shore in MD, and I have just hated everything I have seen. I hate the people, I hate the thought of living with someone else.
You sound like a little shit. No wonder you're depressed.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 AM   #14
Eulogy
huh

Quote:

there are thousands of kids at most colleges. you would find people. and it doesn't sound like you're doing so hot in your current position. saying "i hate the people" is pretty narrow-minded. and i already said to find scholarships. it can be done. pretty easily if you did well in high school. although i'm not sure how it differs from being a high school senior to being a junior college transfer.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 AM   #15
Warsaw
Minion of Satan

Quote:

FAFSA!!! This is the only time in your life that being poor can actually be advantageous!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:09 AM   #16
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3
what Eulogy said. Community college is inherently depressing and everyone there is depressed. Go to a 4-year ASAP and you will fall in with folks and do substances and be happy.
NOT always the case

Old 12-21-2007, 03:11 AM   #17
redbreegull

How would a 4 year school be any different though? I am very lost here, I would be very lost there, and possibly even more lost. And my grades might not be too good here this semester. I did really well in three of my classes but I am fairly sure I completely failed math.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 AM   #18
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
How would a 4 year school be any different though? I am very lost here, I would be very lost there, and possibly even more lost. And my grades might not be too good here this semester. I did really well in three of my classes but I am fairly sure I completely failed math.
you need to be around other bright young people, not community college losers. it's fucked up that you dread the thought of living with someone. welcome to life buddy.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:13 AM   #19
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
you're living in a completely different environment with completely different people. it is a fresh start. all my friends who are at community college can't stand it. all of my friends at 4-year schools love it. it's just an entirely different experience. not living at home.....i dunno, all that stuff. it's different.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #20
Warsaw
Minion of Satan

redbreegull, I have had good experiences with talk therapy and I know that it can help you. If you aren't comfortable with the therapist, then find a different one.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:16 AM   #21
silent_brian13
Apocalyptic Poster

aint got time for bitches

Old 12-21-2007, 03:17 AM   #22
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy
you're living in a completely different environment with completely different people. it is a fresh start. all my friends who are at community college can't stand it. all of my friends at 4-year schools love it. it's just an entirely different experience. not living at home.....i dunno, all that stuff. it's different.
My best friend just dropped out of school because he hated it so much, so I'm really not convinced that I would enjoy it either. I'm a lot like him. I've never been able to derive happiness simply from doing new things or meeting new people. Most of my friends have been my friends for many years because I generally do not enjoy being dumped into alien environments. I am vary bad at "adapting".

Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 AM   #23
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
My best friend just dropped out of school because he hated it so much, so I'm really not convinced that I would enjoy it either. I'm a lot like him. I've never been able to derive happiness simply from doing new things or meeting new people. Most of my friends have been my friends for many years because I generally do not enjoy being dumped into alien environments. I am vary bad at "adapting".
what did he hate about it? and you're going to have to learn to adapt successfully at some point in your life. might as well force the issue now.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:21 AM   #24
Warsaw
Minion of Satan

I would recommend spending some time in therapy before making any decisions. It has been my experience that entering stressful situations while extremely depressed is a recipe for failure. Go into therapy with an open mind, and be patient.

Are you against taking medication?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 AM   #25
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Go out and get laid.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 AM   #26
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

I'm with Waraw. Everyone I know who has had any success with therapy had to shop around to find a therapist that jived with them.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:25 AM   #27
hnibos
Braindead

check your pms brah, i have some insight

Old 12-21-2007, 03:30 AM   #28
redbreegull

I am not completely against medication but I strongly disliked both the meds I was on previously. I was on prozac which made me feel antsy and uncomfortable, and then I was on another of which I forget the name which made me feel completely 100% flat and apathetic to everything. My ability to feel emotion ceased entirely. I told this to the psychiatrist and he basically told me that is what antidepressants did. So I took myself off of it. We actually looked into switching therapists/psychiatrists at that time, but we found out that our medical insurance thru Kaiser would not support anybody else. So if I go I have to pay out of my own pocket. How expensive is it?

Edit: Also, if I really wanted to go out and get laid, there is an extremely attractive young woman whom I dated for a bit after my bad breakup who unfortunately fell entirely in love with me in that time and I'm sure would be completely willing to do whatever I wanted to do if I really wanted it. But I am 99% sure that it would make me feel a lot worse.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 AM   #29
Mo
Immortal

My mother sent me to this therapist once when I was about 14 or 15 because she found out that I'd cut myself. It was a cool guy, but he couldn't help me at all, so I stopped going.
Bad move, but what do you know.

Whenever I ask doctors etc about therapy, they always recommend a psychoanalyst first, then further treatment if necessary.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 AM   #30
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

That 1% chance means you should do it.