Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Default True Detective

margin

Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
TuralyonW3
Immortal

so it's come to an end...I thought it was a masterpiece. has anyone else seen the whole thing?

Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
Banana
Banned

I was really hyped about the series leading up and loved it during it but though the finale was a bit garbage.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
TuralyonW3
Immortal

the finale was very satisfying and perfectly reflected the themes that have been present throughout the series

Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
Banana
Banned

The whole season built up to some sort of eyes wide shut secret society being busted but it instead just climaxed with a hick in the woods with his half sister.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
noyen
Immortal

my opinion: good, great, maybe superb. wish it was more sprawled out into like 2 seasons or something. mixed feelings on final scene with the implied finding god/not sure if he wants to die or live "i have feelings" moments. can understand people feeling like it was all wrapped up too quick. the build up was sure great. i still enjoyed the final episode and even shed tears. i used to hate matthew mcconnca whatever but thoroughly enjoyed both him and woody through the whole thing. the paint/green ears thing seemed totally out of left field and didnt really get how they would come to conclusions but i dont know about old folklore or the south or how they made that connection. i'll internet it and find out but yeah. TRUE AWESOME.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I think "finding god" is too strong of an interpretation and creator nick pizzolato even kind of says as much in post-mortem interviews...notice the final episode was called "form and void" (sounds like a SunnO))) title right) and the deeper darkness Rust talks about at the end i think is more related to "the void" (see "tehom") rather than the white light of heaven or whatever...and his final comment about light vs. dark to me is more about the existence of anything at all in the face of absolute nothingness (pretty crazy to think about). I think it's less finding God and him coming to terms with the fact that he's always been a bit of a pretender as a nihilist/antinatalist (grief over his lost family etc.)

the killer's plot line also says a lot about the assimilation of narrative and pop culture into consciousness and action. well all tell ourselves stories and live by them.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
The whole season built up to some sort of eyes wide shut secret society being busted but it instead just climaxed with a hick in the woods with his half sister.
yeah sounds like you were projecting hopes for a different sort of show onto this show. it's been about Rust and Marty the whole time.

this EW review actually kind of nails everything (surprisingly for EW):

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/03/10/tr...-happy-ending/

and here's a good excerpt about the killer you're reducing to a "hick"

Quote:
Errol made his home in the boonies beyond the Creole Nature Trail. He kept his dead father — another lawless lawman and corrupt Tuttle, who with other Tuttles abused him and warped him and sewed his psyche with their perverse private religion — bound and lip-tied. He kept house with his half-sister. Made “flowers” on her, too. (Ewww.) He had stacks and stacks of books, magazines and DVDs in his trashed, fly-swarmed, fetid home. (Was The King In Yellow somewhere in those stacks?) He watched a lot of TV. (That was North by Northwest on the telly.) He was a man of many voices — Andy Griffith, Slingblade, James Mason — and seemingly no fixed identity.

But the intelligence behind those masks did fancy itself something monstrous. Errol lived to make his mark on the world by abducting and raping and killing children in ritualistic fashion with the help of his low-life cousins — his “acolytes” — the Ledoux brother, and littering the landscape with devil nets, occult graffiti, a Christian woman slain and transmogrified into an art object that mocked her faith. All were ironic reminders that evil roamed the land with impunity, and no one could — or would — stop him. Certainly not God. It bothered Errol, though, that no one had detected his handiwork: “Oh, if they had eyes to see,” he said. The implication: Errol wanted to be discovered. What’s more, he wanted to expose the family that had made him, that used him, that… worshipped him? And then there was the matter of Errol’s last great project: His “ascension.” He made a reference to tying off the endless loop of his life — his own circle of violence and degradation — and checking out — “I am near the final stage. Some mornings, I can see the infernal plane.”

I am taken by the notion that Errol wanted to end his life by producing a story — his last ritual — in which he would play the part of The Great Adversary. He just needed some worthy Hero-Christs to play their parts in the play. He finally got them — after years of waiting? — in the form of Cohle and Hart. In that moment in the field, when Cohle told Errol to freeze, and Errol said “No,” Errol wanted the detectives to follow him into his labyrinth. A grand battle ensued — Errol wasn’t going to make it easy; our boys had to earn it — and Errol got his death-wish made true by Cohle, no stranger to death-wishes. Cohle shot him in the head, and the image we got framed Errol’s exploding head within the hole in the roof of his chamber. Behold Errol’s violent enlightenment, his ascension, his storytelling mission accomplished.

Of the many details that defined Errol, I am thinking most at present about all that pop culture lying around his house. Errol’s story concluded one of True Detective’s themes/morals: Be careful what you put in your head. You spend your days filling your head with pictures of evil (Cohle, ep. 3), you spend your days filling your imagination with faces of evil and stories about evil (Errol, and his Carcosa-crazed family, Hitchcock flicks, and who knows what else Errol kept lying around), you spend your days fascinated with abomination, and chances are, they’re going to affect the way you see the world.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i've become quite a fan of woody harrelson lately. i think he's really quite good, and i'm intrigued by all this srs actor stuff mr. stoned texas mcconaghey is getting

Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

couple of texas boys, not taken srsly at first.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:09 AM   #11
TuralyonW3
Immortal

they're both incredible. you should check out "the messenger" with woody trots, and "mud" with Mcchoghgghgye

Old 03-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #12
Trotskilicious
Banned

really really wanted to see the messanger

man i'm just so out of touch with movies

Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #13
TuralyonW3
Immortal

also killer joe is a fucking hoot.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #14
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
I think "finding god" is too strong of an interpretation and creator nick pizzolato even kind of says as much in post-mortem interviews...notice the final episode was called "form and void" (sounds like a SunnO))) title right) and the deeper darkness Rust talks about at the end i think is more related to "the void" (see "tehom") rather than the white light of heaven or whatever...and his final comment about light vs. dark to me is more about the existence of anything at all in the face of absolute nothingness (pretty crazy to think about). I think it's less finding God and him coming to terms with the fact that he's always been a bit of a pretender as a nihilist/antinatalist (grief over his lost family etc.)

the killer's plot line also says a lot about the assimilation of narrative and pop culture into consciousness and action. well all tell ourselves stories and live by them.
well my finding god interpretation came from just watching the show. I didn't go out and read about any of this so its not like you can tell me "no wrong". I get they tried hard not to allude to that and make his enlightenment more based on physical universe. I get it. had this discussion today with sactomacto. my interpretation also includes that I think rust wants to die more than he ever has before and in that darkness there is light/love. woody was in a total "I told you" glib mode that made it point even more to god. so we concluded the actors kind of messed up pissallotas intention to make it not about finding god or whatever. I liked the show. I guess I didn't do all my research offline to come up with the correct way of interpreting meaning. good show.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #15
TuralyonW3
Immortal

everything I typed there was my own interpretation from watching it as well, I just mentioned the pizzolato interview I read afterward:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/03/10/tr...ohle-and-hart/

Quote:
Q: You said there was no conversion in the story. But was Cohle suggesting he now believes in some kind of afterlife when he told Hart about his near death experience?

A: It’s not a belief – he’s talking about an experience. And he’s not talking about a reconciliation with loved ones after death: If you listen to what he says, he says, ‘I was gone. There was no me. Just love… and then I woke up.’ That line is significant to the whole series: “And then I woke up.” The only thing like a conversion that he has is when he says, “You’re looking at it wrong. To me, the light is winning.” And that doesn’t describe a conversion to me as much as it describes a broadening of perspective. The man who once said there is no light at the end of the tunnel is now saying there might be order to this. I don’t think it says anything more than: Pick your stories carefully.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #16
TuralyonW3
Immortal

also from that interview, badass description of season 2:

Quote:
The basic idea: Hard women, bad men, and the secret occult history of the U.S. transportation system.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #17
noyen
Immortal

cool, yeah I saw that today too. he can say all he wants though but he also said he wanted to wrap up the story and answer all questions/have an ending and all on top of that leave enough room for everyone to interpret the deep meanings and easter eggs and all this other metaphysical stuff up to the viewer. which I think he succeeded at. I'm not meaning to sound harsh at ya at all. that's just how I took it. I've read nothing about it. I know a lot has been written. about it and the rabbit hole is there to climb down.

good show.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #18
TuralyonW3
Immortal

nah I'm on the same page.

also for season 2, I saw another interview where he said it was gonna be a lot "stranger" which can only be good I think...

Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #19
noyen
Immortal

and I'm convinced rust wants to die and die hard as fuck so he can feel that stoner shit with his dead kid and dad. that's why I like the rust character. dude is cynical and witty and "deep" and takes himself seriously. its like anyone else who does. at some point you are humbled by what you don't know. put in your place with no answers just mystery and wonder and Carl Sagan shit.

if everyone is bailing for season two it doesn't sound so promising but I will watch either way if I'm still alive.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

What????

Old 03-11-2014, 01:40 AM   #21
TuralyonW3
Immortal

there were 2 or 3 times in the whole series I had to rewind to understand Rust's mumbles, but that video is as inane as most everything else on E!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #22
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
and I'm convinced rust wants to die and die hard as fuck so he can feel that stoner shit with his dead kid and dad. that's why I like the rust character. dude is cynical and witty and "deep" and takes himself seriously. its like anyone else who does. at some point you are humbled by what you don't know. put in your place with no answers just mystery and wonder and Carl Sagan shit.

if everyone is bailing for season two it doesn't sound so promising but I will watch either way if I'm still alive.
Yeah I am disappointed that director Cary Fukunaka isn't coming back (his Sin Nombre and Jane Eyre are both beautiful films)

Old 03-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

i like joel mchale >:(

Old 03-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

HE'S KIN

Old 03-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #25
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I liked talk soup back when it Joel Henson hosted it during the golden age of Jerry, Maury, Ricki Lake, Geraldo and Donahue and whatnot.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:50 AM   #26
Trotskilicious
Banned

what about community

Old 03-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'm sorry i thought it would be funny, story of my life

Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #28
TuralyonW3
Immortal

ha it's all good...I haven't really seen any community, I finally got in to Parks and Rec in the last few months. I'm behind on TV like you're behind on film

Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

man parks and rec, season 2 and 3 are just about some of the most amazing comedy

i tell you i was completely sold the episode that ron has a hernia and just sits at his desk in agony rather than say anything

i laughed so hard i had tears in my eyes

Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 AM   #30
TuralyonW3
Immortal

ron swanson alone makes parks and rec >>>> the office