Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #91
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
This is interesting... I remember being interviewed by a film crew outside Birmingham UK in 2000 as I was maybe the 10th person in line that day, but I haven't heard that this was the reason for the filming before.
Holy shit, you're the British Line Guy? The British Line Guy has been posting here all this time and no one realized it? Holy shit dude you're a legend, jesus christ

Edit: Anyone know how to get a hold of D4 these days? Because he is definitely gonna wanna talk to this guy.

Last edited by topleybird : 01-18-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: A legend in our midst

Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #92
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Billy using creepshot footage of fans for his personal enjoyment? Source?
Lol first I've heard of that too. Is this actually true? That's some creepy shit if true.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:03 AM   #93
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy wants to know who's lining for his shows: jocks? goths? geeks? poseurs?

Old 01-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #94
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I was lucky enough to get into the Los Angeles show at the Roxy - the last night of the tour. 4.24.99.

It was RIGHT when Ticketmaster started selling tickets online, but also in the days of very primitive internet. Don't think we still had dial up AOL, but we may have. It was slow. But, that was the route I chose to take to try and get tickets. I remember it freezing up (some things never change?) and after a few minutes of failing, assuming that it was over and cranking the F5 key out of desperation/teenage angst. Well, somehow, it worked. It moved, I had two tickets in my cart.

Show was on a Saturday night. Took my best buddy from high school - I was a junior at the time - which I'm so glad I did and not the random chick I was pursuing. Didn't have a driver's license yet, so my parents radically were willing to take us. They dropped us off and then later swung back by to drop off a bag of McDonalds. I remember being embarrassed at the time, but man - in hindsight, huge props to my parents for entertaining such nonsense. Driving to downtown LA on a Saturday night, and hanging out for 4 hours while we went to the show? That's the kind of parent I'm gonna be to my kids someday.

While we were in line, some guy offered me $1000 for my ticket. I proudly turned it down - my friend waffled, but ended up not taking it. There was a majorrrr energy in the air, as this was still the height of SP: and now, Jimmy was back - buzz was anew.

Queens of the Stone Age opened - fully unknown to me (and most?) at the time. They played stuff off of their debut album, which is a super accessible and straight forward rock album: worth lookin' up. We were about 4 rows back, and one of the guitarists filled his mouth with something and blew a fireball off his cigarette lighter, which was pretty rad.

The SP set is tough to put into words - but due to the exclusivity of being there, the band being back together, lots of new songs, the small room, me being at the height of SP fandom - the show will always be tops for me.

I've seen some great concerts since, but that one will always be at the top of the heap. First four songs were of course utterly unreal. Loved the Machina stuff. Loved how freaking loud it was, and how "my" band was RIGHT there, slaying it. Just felt like the four of them were back together and that SP was going to take over the whole damn world with their next album, and I was right there at the forefront of it all.

Pretty sure there's another Netphorian around here who was also there that night?
holy fucking shit that must've been insane. last original lineup show in a small club like that....

one more for brutality's sake

i mean i got to see JC play through geek at a drum clinic 5 feet away, but it's just not the same as a rock show

Old 01-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #95
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
I was a fan of Siamese Dream in '93 but checked out until Adore...that album resonated with me on an emotional level (after a breakup), but I remember it sounded really futuristic and rock-forward in the post-alternative era. The alt-rock radio station in Rhode Island played album tracks in the week leading up to its release, and hearing "Appels and Oranjes" for the first time made my ears stand on-end.

Flash-forward to 1999: I was in college, and a frequent Netphoria visitor (the same level of troll-ness existed then as it does now). News of the Pumpkins reuniting with Chamberlain was really exciting and I knew I had to witness the band reformed. I connected with a girl on here (with pink hair) who sold me a ticket to the NYC show on 4/14/99, and I took a bus down from Burlington, Vermont, to see them perform at Tramps. The club was so packed that my body felt nearly crushed...I had to watch SP perform from the soundboard area, but hearing the new material was absolutely incredible. Fans had already been treated to video of "I Am One," "Siva," "Pug," and "La Dolly Vita" in Detroit, which was posted on smashingpumpkins.com, so hearing Jimmy on "Pug" wasn't expected, but it fucking rocked. I remember the place went ape-shit to the beat of "I Am One." The show was all about showcasing new songs: the hard-rawk of "Speed Kills," the bizarre part-two refrain of "Glass and the Ghost Children" (fans were kind of frozen as Billy sang, "And she counted the spiders/as they crawled up inside her"), the hot punk of "Glass' Theme," a reworked version of "Cash Car Star," "Stand Inside Your Love" (the drums were slightly different), the apocalyptic vision of "Blue Skies Brings Tears," and stripped-down versions of "With Every Light" and "If There Is A God." I happily slept on the floor of a bus terminal that night.

Some weird tidbits: As I was waiting in line, a guy with a video camera came by and focused on me and the girl with pink hair for an awkwardly long period of time...only later did the gossip drop that Billy liked to hire people to record videos of fans at shows to make fun of them (I think that nugget spilled in the Zwan era); the show-opener was Queens of the Stone Age, and I remember the blazing fuzz of the guitars and the back-beat of the drums, which were set behind a sheet of plexi-glass (Billy later disavowed the band for talking shit about SP); the new album release was eventually delayed for several months, and the raw sound of a rock band reignited was replaced by heavy synth (I remember the album was disappointing when it came out, but I grew to love it...D'Arcy's departure was a huge disappointment as well, but she clearly wasn't healthy during the Arising! tour).
why'd you check out for MCIS tho

Old 01-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #96
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
The last show of D'Arcy with SP. For a minute there, I thought that title would be null and void in 2018, but I think that may be the case forever.
I kinda have a feeling they'll bring her back for something, one song, at some point. I know Corgan sorta burned that bridge but also white van // fucking liar, etc.

when i saw them in chicago at aragon, i half hoped when corgan said 'we have a special guest' they'd bring out d'arcy, but...

Old 01-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #97
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

...instead they brought out Weiland Fan.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #98
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

did he break it first?

Old 01-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #99
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

sorry, that was a dumb question

of course he broke it first

Old 01-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #100
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I kinda have a feeling they'll bring her back for something, one song, at some point. I know Corgan sorta burned that bridge but also white van // fucking liar, etc.

when i saw them in chicago at aragon, i half hoped when corgan said 'we have a special guest' they'd bring out d'arcy, but...
There's a difference between D'arcy and Jimmy and James:

She's the only one of them, who also gave his "compliments" full form back to him last year.
That may have pissed him more off than James passive ignoring attitude and Jimmy's little outburst in 2008, which can't be found anymore nowadays being no longer documented.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #101
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Imagine if Jimmy's rant was caught on a rehearsal tape somewhere and it leaked.

Now that would be an insight scoop

Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #102
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I would pay thousands of dollars to hear that shit.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #103
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Holy shit, you're the British Line Guy? The British Line Guy has been posting here all this time and no one realized it? Holy shit dude you're a legend, jesus christ

Edit: Anyone know how to get a hold of D4 these days? Because he is definitely gonna wanna talk to this guy.
If there's something Netphoria-related that I'll take to my grave, it's that none of you jumped in to support me trying to gaslight the hell out of New Art Rioter and make him think a Billy-approved audience taping of him being goofy was widely circulated among Pumpkin fans

It's not that I was being really weird and none of you knew what the fuck I was trying to do, it's that you're all a bunch of worthless jerks

Old 01-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #104
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

we have failed you topleybird, forgive us, o feline lord!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #105
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

tbh i thought you were referencing some random part of Graceful Swans of Never or something that was once a great in-joke on the board

Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #106
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

BritishLineGuy.gif

Old 01-26-2019, 01:56 AM   #107
fuzzyroes
Banned

That's exactly what I thought when I read it too.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #108
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
If there's something Netphoria-related that I'll take to my grave, it's that none of you jumped in to support me trying to gaslight the hell out of New Art Rioter and make him think a Billy-approved audience taping of him being goofy was widely circulated among Pumpkin fans

It's not that I was being really weird and none of you knew what the fuck I was trying to do, it's that you're all a bunch of worthless jerks
I appreciate the effort but unfortunately I've spent way too much time on #nerdalert Pumpkins boards over the years to know the ridiculous memes around this equally ridiculous band!

Old 01-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #109
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Totally - I'm pretty hip to the Netphoria memes (since 1999) scene but that British Line Guy didn't ring a bell. Did numerous Google and YouTube searches to no avail.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #110
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
one more for brutality's sake
This.

Funny, didn't have a recollection of him saying that until this thread inspired me to listen to the boot a few days ago. Such a great line. I just remember him yelling at the crowd "God Bless all you motherfuckers!" right before the lights came up... he wasn't pissed, just revved up - then had a sheepish look of sorts on his face as if maybe he had gone too far.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #111
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

I can feel good about wasting a few minutes of a few people's days, at least