Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #31
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i would kill myself vs working the rest of my life at a grocery store, personally. maybe if you started me at 200k i'd consider it

i am going back there one day a week starting next month probably. i don't even want to do that, but i need to get out of the house. they gave me a raise, i make 14.35/hr now. which is above the max for my position part time (they gave everyone a covid raise, so it put me over max). it's 10x more stressful than the work i do at home. but i'm privileged, i realize. i did do full time for a bit and did lots of hours while in school. i feel like i paid my dues. i have survivor's guilt though. feel very bad for people working full time there just barely surviving

i really need to find another one day a week job instead

sorry for ruining ur thread

Old 06-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #32
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am. I would want to blow my brains out if I had to wear a nametag and apron for the rest of my life.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #33
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i feel like i paid my dues. i have survivor's guilt though. feel very bad for people working full time there just barely surviving
yeah i feel you on this. when i was fresh out of school the only job i could land was waiting tables at the olive garden, which i did for a year. fast forward maybe five or six years later and i was getting a meal with two friends at a hotel in the city, i think it was like $80/person brunch or something, which was still quite a stretch for me then, and one of the guys i used to work with at the olive garden was the server for our table. we each recognized and greeted the other, but it was uncomfortable.. the other two people i was with were each ceos. it was... strange and i did indeed feel guilty

Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #34
Disco King
Minion of Satan

On the one hand, I don't want to "feel bad" for people with service jobs, because that seems classist. And their jobs are still definitely valued by me. Otherwise, I wouldn't solicit their services and do things like go to grocery stores or purchase fast food. They still do important stuff for society.

On the other hand, yeah… I just wouldn't want to work at fucking Olive Garden for life. That's indeed depressing.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #35
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Trying to do one of those personality tests that's supposed to give you ideas for career paths, and I remember why I hate these so much.

"If you have to temporarily put your plans on hold, you make sure it is your top priority to get back on track as soon as possible."

I dunno. It depends? Sometimes? And not other times?

" You are more of a detail-oriented than a big picture person. "

I think both are important? Depending on the thing, one may be more important than the other? Who the fuck has such a rigid personality that they have a general rule about this? People are more complex than that.

"You see yourself as more of a realist than a visionary."

I literally don't see myself as anything.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #36
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Welp, I guess it turned out to be one of those Meyer-Briggs things, anyway. I was personally hoping to get my Shorter Typology assessment.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #37
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Trying to do one of those personality tests that's supposed to give you ideas for career paths, and I remember why I hate these so much.

"If you have to temporarily put your plans on hold, you make sure it is your top priority to get back on track as soon as possible."

I dunno. It depends? Sometimes? And not other times?

" You are more of a detail-oriented than a big picture person. "

I think both are important? Depending on the thing, one may be more important than the other? Who the fuck has such a rigid personality that they have a general rule about this? People are more complex than that.

"You see yourself as more of a realist than a visionary."

I literally don't see myself as anything.
I mean yes but... I def lean more towards getting back on track/details/realist

i can make these choices even though they are not 100% true

i don't have a general rule about being detail/big picture, but i get more satisfaction when things are fucking perfect and i can do everything myself. so i think that makes me detail oriented. perhaps that's just neurosis though and i'm misinterpreting. or just not trusting others and needing to do shit myself. it depends how important things are. but GENERALLY, if i had to pick 1-10 big picture/detail, I'd be a 7 or so detail

Old 06-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #38
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Hmm. Maybe it's just me who's bad at answering these sorts of questions. I never know what to select, because it all really depends. It's not even that I'm in the middle. I can be at either extreme.

For example, I never really know how "conscientious" I am, because I am at times the perfectionist keener who needs every detail to be just perfect and other people start to depend on, and at other times, I'm the guy who just eyeballs things and goes "good enough," or is very forgetful and unorganized. Like, I don't know if I'm the keener or the slacker.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #39
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It's also hard for me to kind of sum up my life experiences and behaviours as some sort of narrative explaining the "sort of person I am," like my life was written coherently by an author instead of just being a bunch of random shit happening in space.

Do some people just have something wrong with them where they can't intellectualize their own personalities or something? Is it abnormal to not be able to really understand and answer questions about my own personality?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #40
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i have the same issue with the contentiousness questions. i'm lazy and also a perfectionist. it depends what you're talking about.

i don't know if it's normal or abnormal to have trouble answering the questions, tbh

Old 06-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #41
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
Do some people just have something wrong with them where they can't intellectualize their own personalities or something? Is it abnormal to not be able to really understand and answer questions about my own personality?
that's a very intp thing to say

Old 06-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #42
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Welp, I guess it turned out to be one of those Meyer-Briggs things, anyway. I was personally hoping to get my Shorter Typology assessment.

Lol “tactics”

Sounds like u put more skill points into your wisdom not enuff into agility? Maybe u can find a helmet with a nice buff to even things out, even better if it looks cool on yur character

Old 06-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #43
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
It's also hard for me to kind of sum up my life experiences and behaviours as some sort of narrative explaining the "sort of person I am," like my life was written coherently by an author instead of just being a bunch of random shit happening in space.

Some ppl are probably just not as curious about themselves or the very nature of selfhood and are just like “oh yeah i kick ass at the big picture mmmhmm”

Old 06-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #44
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

-_- ohmmmmm

Old 06-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #45
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
i'm lazy and also a perfectionist.
story of my life. i go through extreme bouts of productivity and some days i'm smelling my pits trying to get the motivation to shower.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #46
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i have the same issue with the contentiousness questions. i'm lazy and also a perfectionist. it depends what you're talking about.
Similar here. My room is disgusting, and yet I've spent more time than I needed to making PowerPoint presentations perfect and making custom graphics and templates in Inkscape for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Lol “tactics”

Sounds like u put more skill points into your wisdom not enuff into agility? Maybe u can find a helmet with a nice buff to even things out, even better if it looks cool on yur character
I think the game lets you respec, but only as a microtransaction that costs, like, 3000 loot (fuck EA [existence, actually]).

Old 06-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #47
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Reading these news articles about literal teenager computer whizzes creating new software to help track and model the pandemic makes me wonder why I spent all those years at a degree that taught me no hard skills, and just soft skills like "lol, I'm a problem-solver."

I think "critical thinking" and "problem-solving" is just a meme people who took majors like I did tell ourselves that we excel at, because stuff like math is literally the tool that gives you the ability to solve complex problems. We have these ideas that more technical people are "not creative" and are just equation-manipulating robots, and yet a lot of human problems are solved creatively by taking math and applying it to the problem in ways that most of us would never be able to anticipate.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #48
yo soy el mejor

hey, i wrote a cover letter today and thought of you. it's 13 sentences.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #49
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
Reading these news articles about literal teenager computer whizzes creating new software to help track and model the pandemic makes me wonder why I spent all those years at a degree that taught me no hard skills, and just soft skills like "lol, I'm a problem-solver."

I think "critical thinking" and "problem-solving" is just a meme people who took majors like I did tell ourselves that we excel at, because stuff like math is literally the tool that gives you the ability to solve complex problems. We have these ideas that more technical people are "not creative" and are just equation-manipulating robots, and yet a lot of human problems are solved creatively by taking math and applying it to the problem in ways that most of us would never be able to anticipate.
i think "critical thinking" (i prefer the term "analysis") is an invaluable skill necessary for success in any venture, and that liberal arts education can help develop it, but doesn't necessarily nor completely. we all know tons of social sci/humanities majors that are fucking morons, but at least if you get an engineering degree you're guaranteed to learn calculus.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #50
yo soy el mejor

yeah exactly. school isn't for people who want to "learn", it's for people who need a degree (there is some overlap). big difference and so it should be no surprise degrees don't prove intelligence yet people who put way too much stock into formal education act as if it is.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #51
yo soy el mejor

btw, if you're looking for synonymous terms to critical thinking or analysis, DK, look no further than power thesaurus:

https://www.powerthesaurus.org/analysis/synonyms

Old 06-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #52
yo soy el mejor

what i love about power thesaurus is you can even look up phrases and such. critical thinking:

https://www.powerthesaurus.org/criti...nking/synonyms

Old 06-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #53
yo soy el mejor

critical analysis

Old 07-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #54
yo soy el mejor

hi. i applied for a PT job today (been trying to find one that isn't bullshit) that i can work while schooling. i've applied for a couple FT ones that pay well enough, which would give me the decision in september between postponing school or quitting the job and looking for PT work while i am school. ain't nobody got time for that!

this PT job description said it could eventually expand to FT, which is ideal for me. here's hopin'. x>_

Old 07-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #55
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Saw a posting for a job open to "applicants with a strong liberal arts education, strong critical thinking skills, and an aptitude for communicating complex ideas (math, sciences, accounting, philosophy, English)."

Hey, those are the terms people tend to use to describe me. That liberal arts guy who likes talking about sceince and philosophy and shit and can explain some concepts well.

Except, "this position relies heavily on high-level Excel expertise."

I know fuck-all about even something as basic as Excel. I'm literally a dumbass with no actual skills other than pretending to know about shit long enough to bullshit my way through essays. Why did I take a meme degree

Old 07-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #56
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Lol, even positions aimed at dumb liberal-arts people like me want you to know SQL, Oracle, Microsoft Access, a bunch of other shit I don't even know the functions of.

I would just go back to school and learn something useful, but even though I got straight-A's my first few years, I burned out my last few years and feel like I need to take some time out of school in order to decompress, or else it's just going to be a repeat of those last few years and I'll be wasting my money.

So long as I was taking a useless degree, I should have at least taken one I liked and enjoyed. I'd probably find some sort of contentment if I had been a starving art-school grad at least capable of making shit that brings me satisfaction. Or I should have should have done one of the STEM fields I've always been interested in, but didn't go into due to being afraid of doing anything "hard."

Nope, I took the shitty, mushy political-science crap in the middle that barely teaches you anything, and that I didn't even really like all that much anyway. At least I liked my philosophy minor and some diverse electives in sciences and other liberal arts I took.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #57
Disco King
Minion of Satan

My sociology minor was hit-and-miss. Some of it was actually social science, and some of it was just ideology and advocacy disguising itself as science (and even though it all aligned with my ideologies pretty much, that's still a bullshit thing for a "science" to do).

Old 07-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #58
buzzard
Minion of Satan

There's really not a lot Excel can throw at you that Google won't solve unless we're looking at roles within the spreadsheet development team at Microsoft.

It'd come down almost solely to how you manage to blag your way through an interview scenario, where I imagine the vast majority of your fellow applicants will lean heavily upon skills such as misdirection and outright fibbing.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:35 PM   #59
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah, apply anyway, say you have beginner skills but can learn if you get an interview

Old 07-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #60
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Or say that you're naturally inclined towards success with software platforms in general, citing examples of where you have mastered other more complicated systems with relative ease. Make an hilarious joke such as, "And if there's anything I don't know...I can always VLOOK it UP!"