Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Default Question about the treasure I seek

Hey it's this guy again.

So I've been sitting in the corners of this website peaking in at what all of you beautiful people have to say.

Anyways I've logged back in because I made a discovery of something I somehow have always overlooked.

This:

A new mix of a MCIS song with D'arcy's vocals that she apparently recorded for lots of songs on the album? How did I not hear that one of these was released in the reissue. Does anyone know if there are more?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

That's really interesting... I definitely remembered those vocal harmonies from the original, but I don't remember ever thinking hey I wonder who is singing that part. Very distinctly darcy when it's bumped up high in the mix, and you can really hear the personality of her voice more than anywhere else on the track around 2:20 "under her coat" I think that harmony was completely mixed out of the original. Maybe because it stood out too much

Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson View Post
That's really interesting... I definitely remembered those vocal harmonies from the original, but I don't remember ever thinking hey I wonder who is singing that part. Very distinctly darcy when it's bumped up high in the mix, and you can really hear the personality of her voice more than anywhere else on the track around 2:20 "under her coat" I think that harmony was completely mixed out of the original. Maybe because it stood out too much
IMO D'arcy's vocals here improve the song by a factor of 2. And yes, she famously had recorded vocals for many song for Mellon Collie, but only Beautiful and Farewell and Goodnight made the cut. Somewhere out there are some D'arcy studio vocal takes for MCIS songs. I want them.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

This reminds me of an old debate I used to have with my various bandmates and producers over years of making records that few people outside of north carolina heard. What is wrong with being able to hear everything at once? The argument was that it makes the song too cluttered, too much going on at once, the ear doesn't know what to focus on. But I love it. I usually liked our premixes better than the finished product, which sounded more muted, less alive, to me.

I really like that weird fast keyboard part at the end that sounds like a cheap digital harpsichord sound with like a chorus and reverb effect! It's weird that it fades out since that part makes it sound like it is racing towards a clear conclusion, that it does hit before the fade is done. But then again, I've never been a fan of the fade.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

What the hell are you talking about, this song doesn't fade out.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

I need to hear more songs like this.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
What is wrong with being able to hear everything at once? The argument was that it makes the song too cluttered, too much going on at once, the ear doesn't know what to focus on.
There's an art to mixing/recording in mono. You have to stack the instruments vertically instead of layering them in separate channel horizontally. It has to do with things like if the guitars are playing one octave it might not be a good idea to have the bass playing the same octave.

Also why early stereo albums would just put bass and drums in one channel and guitars in the other and stereo pan the vocals and call it a day.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Yo Demon there is an 8 second fade at the end listen to it again. But it allows the final note to hit, which is odd to me. Why do a quick fade but allow the listener to hear the ending to the song? I like everything else about this mix, just found that odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
There's an art to mixing/recording in mono. You have to stack the instruments vertically instead of layering them in separate channel horizontally. It has to do with things like if the guitars are playing one octave it might not be a good idea to have the bass playing the same octave.

Also why early stereo albums would just put bass and drums in one channel and guitars in the other and stereo pan the vocals and call it a day.
I get that my point was more about how in the rough mix stage you can hear everything before you actually decide how to mix the record. There were many times, obviously not every time, where I ended up liking rough mixes better. I know this is not a rough mix, but it reminds me of one. Clearly on the MCIS version, where darcy's vocals seemed to stick out, they brought it down.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Demonunicrons
do u listen to
chasingdragons
?

Old 03-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Demonunicrons
do u listen to
chasingdragons
?
no
I do not

Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Yo Demon there is an 8 second fade at the end listen to it again. But it allows the final note to hit, which is odd to me. Why do a quick fade but allow the listener to hear the ending to the song? I like everything else about this mix, just found that odd.
You can hear the ending, so there is no fade out. Some instruments in the song fade, but you can clearly hear a distinct ending arrangement.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #12
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Progressive rock bands like to mix everything so that everything in the mix is within 1db of each other. This is one of the things that makes many progressive rock albums sound clinical, cold, and often will give you kind of an overwhelming claustrophobic kinda feeling when listen to them.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #13
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

thanks for the information, catherine wheel.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

So I was wrong, I guess I do remember these vocals from the original.

Quote:
you can really hear the personality of her voice more than anywhere else on the track around 2:20 "under her coat" I think that harmony was completely mixed out of the original. Maybe because it stood out too much
This is what had me suprised. This mix has D'arcy's vocals there and I think that vocal line is just superb.