Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #61
Kahlo

Pretty sure that in an episode of Friends Monica says they are all going to go see a Smashing Pumpkins concert.

this may not be true, but I have a feeling it is.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #62
Kahlo

google eh:

“I disarmed you with my smile?” I called out when he was a few feet from me, raising my eyebrows.
He turned and smirked at me. “You sure did.”
“You totally snaked that from a Smashing Pumpkins song,” I said, shaking my head.
“The fact that you know that is incredibly sexy.”
“I told you, I’m not like most girls.”

― Monica Alexander, Aftershocks (novel)

Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #63
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

boy that's some excellent dialogue there i bet that's a real man booker prize contender

Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #64
Shallowed
Braindead

Most girls want a man with the bling bling
Got my own thing, got the ching ching
I just want real love

Old 06-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #65
adamdanger!
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Pretty sure that in an episode of Friends Monica says they are all going to go see a Smashing Pumpkins concert.

this may not be true, but I have a feeling it is.
I just saw an episode where they all went to a Hootie and the Blowfish concert. Such eclectic taste.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

god that show is fucking horrible

Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #67
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's like it was written by a computer program that was tasked with simulating what it's like to be 20 in 1996

and people were like LOL SO TRU

Old 06-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #68
Kahlo

OMG U ARE TOTALLY CHANDLER!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #69
slunken
Virgo

How you doin?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #70
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

Other band t-shirts are available.

Thanks for the continued suggestions guys and gals.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #71
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
that needs to be distinguished then. the post above yours is stumpycat saying how the shirts are virtually worthless and then you agree several times saying indeed what a waste of money they are and how expensive they were.

that is simply not the case. the fact that you paid over 60 for some of these shirts is proof positive.
Okay, I think I need to explain the context of my comments, which would also happen to coincide with what Reprise85 is saying.

I, too, bought those old shirts on ebay when they were at a market premium, i.e. when SP was heading off the height of its popularity (1997-1999) but had built a legion of fanatic, internet-savvy collectors who wanted desperately all the cool old shit that they missed the boat on because they came aboard some time in the MCIS era. THIS is when those shirts were most valuable and incited bidding wars, and probably when Reprise85 bought hers as well. The closing bids were at least a $20 dollar premium over what they would have originally cost had you bought them at the concert, in the record shop, in the back of the music magazine, or whatever.

By the mid-2000s these shirts completely lost their market value (and for obvious reasons I'm not even going to bother to mention) - I was going to sell them off but decided the market value was so poor it was not worth it and Goodwill'd them instead. Yes, since that time the "buy it now" option has exploded in popularity (across ebay in general) but this option is often ridiculously overpriced and as you will see bidding action is actually nearly non-existent on many common items. Buy it Now tends to be an especially poor gauge of the actual market value of items sellers somehow think they can pawn off as "rare," "vintage", "collector", etc. just because they are old and out of print or no longer manufactured. But to be clear, the t-shirts gave me much pleasure when I bought and wore them weekly through middle school and high school.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #72
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
it's like it was written by a computer program that was tasked with simulating what it's like to be 20 in 1996

and people were like LOL SO TRU
Uggh. My mother and aunt both thought that show was the shit. I think they thought this comedy about respectably well off, aspiring young professionals living together was somehow a realistic representation of the fantastically cool and fun lives of GenX-ers. My aunt especially, since she had two daughters in that age group.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #73
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

what a waste of fucking time.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #74
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
Yes, since that time the "buy it now" option has exploded in popularity (across ebay in general) but this option is often ridiculously overpriced and as you will see bidding action is actually nearly non-existent on many common items. Buy it Now tends to be an especially poor gauge of the actual market value of items sellers somehow think they can pawn off as "rare," "vintage", "collector", etc. just because they are old and out of print or no longer manufactured. But to be clear, the t-shirts gave me much pleasure when I bought and wore them weekly through middle school and high school.
being perfectly aware of how ebay works, doing a quick search of completed auctions for vintage smashing pumpkins shirts shows that they still sell for good money, with or without inflated BIN.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #75
spacey raygun
Ownz

i recall an episode of street sharks where one of the sharks says "woah, smashing pumpkins" after seeing pumpkins being smashed.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #76
Trotskilicious
Banned

i really have to question the value of this endeavor

Old 06-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #77
Trotskilicious
Banned

you're looking for pop culture references about one of the biggest bands of the 90s? i mean what

it's like how austin media still widdles itself pink over a celebrity saying "Austin, Texas" out loud. No seriously, this town is world famous at this point okay guys it's not that weird or special at all that some asshole celebrity says "Yeah Austin is a p. cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything."

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #78
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Gilmore Girls, Episode 3x12

Rory: "Look, we're not always going to like the same things. Like, you like Smashing Pumpkins and I don't."

Lane: "But that's only 'cause you're close-minded and blind."

Rory: "What can I say? They're not my angst."

Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #79
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Gilmore Girls, Episode 3x12

Rory: "Look, we're not always going to like the same things. Like, you like Smashing Pumpkins and I don't."

Lane: "But that's only 'cause you're close-minded and blind."

Rory: "What can I say? They're not my angst."
Awesome, thank you!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #80
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

To those who see this as pointless then seriously just not make the effort in expressing it, you took enough interest to read and comment. Just move on. Do you think your comment is going to change my mind?

I'm doing this because I can, I have no interest whether someone gives a fuck or not. God damn, if I was seeking approval or opinions I'd ask for it in the first place. Honestly, if you don't approve then simply just not watch!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #81
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

Quote:
you're looking for pop culture references about one of the biggest bands of the 90s? i mean what

it's like how austin media still widdles itself pink over a celebrity saying "Austin, Texas" out loud. No seriously, this town is world famous at this point okay guys it's not that weird or special at all that some asshole celebrity says "Yeah Austin is a p. cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything."
What the fuck are you banging on about?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #82
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

Quote:

I seriously think you're missing the whole point of this. You probably get an angry boner every time you hear your name mentioned. "Grr, fuck yeah, my name, they said it, fuckers! I hate them! I'll kill them, but they said my name though, I love them! Fuckers, hate them for it, but I love them for it!"

Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #83
slunken
Virgo

This is a valid exercise. It's done all the time.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #84
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPumpkinsUK View Post
To those who see this as pointless then seriously just not make the effort in expressing it, you took enough interest to read and comment. Just move on. Do you think your comment is going to change my mind?

I'm doing this because I can, I have no interest whether someone gives a fuck or not. God damn, if I was seeking approval or opinions I'd ask for it in the first place. Honestly, if you don't approve then simply just not watch!
First, go fuck yourself. Second, I feel its a stupid fucking thing and its a waste of fucking time. I said it, so deal with it. Quit your crying, shut the fuck up, and keep wasting your stupid useless life if you don't care what we think.

Just to restate it, its a waste of fucking time.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #85
slunken
Virgo

Hobbies include: being negative

Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #86
adamdanger!
Pledge

I'll watch it. Why the fuck not? If I can spare hours on a message board for a dead band, why not watch a video?

The Chicago Code had SP songs in a bunch of episodes. And Bildo sang the theme song written by someone else.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #87
slunken
Virgo

Totally blocked that from memory

Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #88
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
being perfectly aware of how ebay works, doing a quick search of completed auctions for vintage smashing pumpkins shirts shows that they still sell for good money, with or without inflated BIN.
DAMN IS THE MARKET UP AGAIN?

...I should have held out few years.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #89
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPumpkinsUK View Post
I seriously think you're missing the whole point of this. You probably get an angry boner every time you hear your name mentioned. "Grr, fuck yeah, my name, they said it, fuckers! I hate them! I'll kill them, but they said my name though, I love them! Fuckers, hate them for it, but I love them for it!"
did this make sense to anyone else

Old 06-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #90
Trotskilicious
Banned

hey guys pop culture mentioned one of the biggest bands in the world isn't that nifty