Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub View Post
i don't know if age is really the problem

it just feels forced to me now
exactly.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #32
Tournée d'adieu
Demi-God

You know...

Right before I went to the Friday Auditorium show I was also feeling uneasy about being a fan. First of all there were the rants happening during the shows, the insults hurled after the shows...I was feeling miffed because I bought the 2-day passes, which, because of the commitment to two nights you think they'd place you somewhere *other* than the nosebleeds...and then I watched If All Goes Wrong with my boyfriend the night before and that was full of petulant things like, "James doesn't even deserve credit, *I* wrote most of Mayonaise." I was ready then to begin divorcing Corgan from the music I love and stop reading about anything he'd done personally...and to some extent I still like that idea.

But actually attending the show was another matter. I knew the setlist ahead of time, but that didn't stop me one bit from enjoying almost every moment of the night, since I had never heard them performed live at all before. Even though I was in balcony 2 I was enthralled, and actually, I really appreciated Corgan's dresses because it made him seem larger than life from all the way at the top. The jams at the end were ill-informed, but all around I really enjoyed the concert. The merchandise is a rip off though...

Actually the only thing I have to bitch about are the fans and that security guard who lied and said Corgan was in the white van. What was their incentive to get people to go away? There were like, 10 of us, for christ's sake. So then I leave and find out he DID come out...fucking annoying...but that's for another thread.

I guess what I'm saying is that, if Corgan is beginning to make you uncomfortable, just focus on the music. Stop going to message boards to get the scoop on what bottle of water he's drinking...just check the official site and do as you please. Or at least stop letting disgruntled fans inform your opinion...when I experienced the concert personally I found the majority of criticisms didn't apply to my experience.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #33
My Blue Heaven
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta of Muppet View Post
You went to a fucking PUMPKINS SHOW. That's more than I can say for myself, living on the other side of the world. Jesus, enjoy it. If you don't like it so much, you could pay for me to fly to Chicago instead and see the show, and your money wouldn't be wasted on yourself "getting burnt".
You live in New Zealand right?

You didn't see any of the March shows?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #34
My Blue Heaven
Ownz

Oh and sorry for bumping this thread. fuck

Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #35
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

what the fuck is this shit?

Old 11-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #36
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Blue Heaven View Post
You live in New Zealand right?

You didn't see any of the March shows?
I did, and it was cool.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #37
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default fuck whatever

Billys rad and the tour has been sweet. Its just the lackluster whiny fans that Billy cant understand. If you guys are such big fans why do you constantly bitch about the little things you dont like about him? Just enjoy the fucking music.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #38
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

lol check out this guy

Old 11-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #39
foxtrot2000
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Billys rad and the tour has been sweet. Its just the lackluster whiny fans that Billy cant understand. If you guys are such big fans why do you constantly bitch about the little things you dont like about him? Just enjoy the fucking music.
welcome to netphoria

Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #40
carapatricia
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
this guy is so edgy! this and the thread about popups? love it!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #41
kornikopia
Amish Rake Fighter

I am a graduate student with Cal. State East Bay, doing a study on the Smashing Pumpkins. I am hoping to interview current fans and former fans. Being part of the interview would give you a chance to sort of voice your opinion about the way the band has changed etc. If this sounds like something you may want to participate in go ahead and fill out this short survey. Smashing Pumpkins Survey

Thanks!

-marion

Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #42
Shawn Osmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hitsaday View Post
i'm going to choose to stay home and listen to them on my stereo.
On vinyl i'm guessing, because i doubt you've made the huge leap to CD yet.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #43
vkissas
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hitsaday View Post
Someone on here, or somewhere on the official site wrote : "is this not the greatest time to be a SP fan?" Yes, and NO.

I've been a diehard fan ever since the Pumpkins toured near my hometown and i was allowed to see them as my first concert in 1993 on the Siamese Dream tour. The pumpkins followed Red Red Meat with a 2-3 hour show of just raw, flawless energy that put me in and out of conciousness with how enthralled i could possibly be. I was hooked.

I followed these guys, attempting to see more than 1 show on each tour (which is tough when you come from a remote area of Virginia) but managed 2 MCIS tour shows, 2 adore shows, an Uprising tour! show (so fucking good!) and a handfull of others that have added up through the years to 9 or 10 shows. My minds a little foggy now.

I've adored and supported every step they took to go outside their box and make creative and inspiring music for future generations. I never criticized the new stuff of adore, machina, machina II, i just saw it as progression. Something music and art could stand to take on more of...

I flew to Chicago from Virginia to see the United Center show (their next to last show before they disbanded) ....a consolation prize since i didnt have the $$ to fork out for the double door final show.

When i heard they were coming back I guess i said, "i told you so". With billy's creative genius i knew it couldnt remain dormant long.

I picked up zeitgeist and loved the raw energy....the new sound is amazing! I saw them tour for the album at red rocks in Colorado where i now live and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Billy & Jimmy are the heart of the "sound" and whatever decent basist and guitar player they drag along i could care less.

fast forward to today. I just got back after a long weekend where my girlfriend and i flew to chicago last weekend to the the Auditorium theater shows because my girlfriend is from chicago and we could stay w/ her family and see my favorite band. As you know, the show was postponed and i got shortchanged one show, but got to see 1 white crosses show. So why am i so mad?!?

I'm just a bit disgruntled with the current day SP. SP now to me is Billy the little Bitch. And i know one of their main concerns is negative energy on the internet and the media focused on them, but i have to spit this out because i've got it pent up about these guys. To me it seems as Billy is stringing Jimmy along as his Yes-man to make whatever music he feels like. In all of these interviews Jimmy seems like the pussy-whipped boyfriend in the relationship, unable to think for himself. He supports the Billy vehicle because Jimmy has already fucked up too many times in the past and probably had to beg to come back.

But besides all of that - i was never more excited when i read the news release for the Gish anniversary tour - "no setlist repeated, blah blah blah". Well all i've seen from spfc.org : the smashing pumpkins (and zwan!) fan collaborative is that the setlists are the exact same every alternating night! That was all bullshit! The pumpkins are a color by number band when it comes to live shows and i dont get it. They would toss song orders around and introduce new things sometimes, but now that they get into show after show, night after night they cant hang with that idea. The setlist for the halloween show was the most remarkable change i'd ever seen. And then it was all lost. Back to the same setlists. This a 20 year gish anniversary tour? where are the gish songs? Siva, night after night? where's crush, suffer, window paine? rhinoceros even..... how about hummer, spaceboy, luna?

instead, it's become the zeigeist tour part 2 with the old fucking tired setlists with today, tonight, and bullet thrown in.....how many times are you going to play these tired hits when you have a back catalog chock full of great tunes (to forgive, thru the eyes of ruby, jellybelly). These songs are just coming out of the top of my head, they're really not my favorites.....every song they have is my favorite. fuck. Just sit down with your band, rehearse every song in your catalog, get something down you could play live, and change up the setlist ever night. If you mess up a chord or botch a lyric, who the fuck cares? everyone is there in support of a band that's worth alot more than "the world is a vampire".

dont get me wrong. i am so happy with the long, drawn out, psychedelic jamming and drum solo intros i heard.....we need more of that! But to see a man over the age of 40 wearing a white gown prancing around on stage to "everybod come clap your hands" - i was paralyzed.....here's is a musician that i have stood behind in music arguments with friends and strangers alike but now my worst fears are confirmed in that i can no longer hold this high level of respect for the new SP.

And their current artwork and merchandise? gimme a fucking break! $75 hoodies? they've been hanging out w/ their poster girl Paris a bit too much.

I love the new songwriting process and new material and will take all the new material in stride. But until billy and co. decide to grow up and bring something to the stage for fans who were there to support gish and siamese dream the 1st time around (these people are 30-40yrs old mind you), i'm going to choose to stay home and listen to them on my stereo.
guess what we don't care

Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #44
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

holy mother of Christ. i just loaded this page from work in ie7 with no ad blocker. i think i'll be re-formatting now.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #45
slunken
Virgo

what is this: back to the future? are you posting from 1989?

Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #46
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkissas View Post
guess what we don't care
we don't care for your bump either.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #47
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Whoop-dee-fucking-Doo!!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #48
Machinist
Ownz

Hey Esty, Davin hasn't posted in like a year - time for you to hand over the demos

Old 02-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #49
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

After all this time has passed, it seems like OP has been vindicated.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #50
Kahlo

Esty pretended he had a stash of tracks to get rid of Davin. I honestly don't care anymore.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #51
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

let me give the world to you?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #52
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
Hey Esty, Davin hasn't posted in like a year - time for you to hand over the demos
Deal was a one and only time offer. It also included that chick with the adams apple Kahlo, the dickless fuck with 10 copies of zietgiest, and countless other fags. Not going to happen now. I could care if they believe I have it or not. Doesn't matter to me.

Ah, that salty bear thread was great. Good memories. The fact that little shit threw a fit and stopped leaking the SD demos because of me just made me laugh and laugh. hahaha